Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
The answer to every LotR challenge is 'play with more Ents'. I love them drat trees and I don't care who knows it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I would probably buy every pack with an ent in it when i get back to buying.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Foehammer posted:

3x A Test Of Will, all decks, all the time

Fat Samurai posted:

Plus three Henamarth Riversongs

Wish those weren't 2-ofs and 1-ofs :mad:

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
There are people who disagree with my ent superiority theory but they are all wrong. Worst case, thematically it is hilarious.

Who is that on that boat? Just a bunch of giant tree men navigating the high seas.

I gotta escape quickly from all these robbers in a city, better grab my giant tree pals! Common gang!

Oh boy me and my giant tree friends sure got in a pickle getting thrown into this underground Orc prison. Wow you big boys sure are good at sneaking out of here.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Orcs never seem to question the amount of trees and eagles down in their tunnels.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Foehammer posted:

3x A Test Of Will, all decks, all the time

Fat Samurai posted:

Plus three Henamarth Riversongs

canyoneer posted:

Wish those weren't 2-ofs and 1-ofs :mad:

I'm testing out Eleanor in combination with Eowyn and Tactics Boromir and she is helping quite a lot with all those treacheries.

Slap an Unexpected Courage and a Gondorian Shield on her and she becomes a very nice hero.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Preview for the third pack of the new expansion cycle of GoT got put out.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/5/2/for-family-honor/

I posted my thoughts before about how the Night's Watch really weren't getting much in terms of good cards and this pack is definitely a reversal on that. Great character and a good surprise event to play to nab good characters that might have been tossed by people. Hot Pie is okay as well if you're running a loyalty heavy deck.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 4, 2016

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Rusty Kettle posted:

There are people who disagree with my ent superiority theory but they are all wrong.

Ents are insane and anyone who thinks otherwise is more insane. Don't mind me just gonna Entmoot into this Entmoot into this Entmoot, and now I'll give +2 HP to any three characters I want in the entire game.

Also the Ents are good.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Stop rubbing your Ents in my face, damnit.

I'm probably going to move past the Core quests this weekend. I have both Mirkwood and Hobbit available. Any advice on which one to tackle first?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The mirkwood quests suck.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
I'd still argue for Mirkwood first. It's good to see the design progressing, but they're still relatively straightforward. They will teach you that sometimes you just have to build for the quest (Rhosgobel :argh:) and they can be rough to come back to when you play much better quests later.

Also nobody asked but The Treason of Saruman + The Antlered Crown/Escape from Mount Gram gives you half the Ent cards and a totally viable deck out the gate. Only The Steward's Fear does that better.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

COOL CORN posted:

Necromancer's Reach is the biggest bullshit

Ahem.

Exhaustion.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Sleeping Sentry! (I know Exhaustion is just Necromancer's x 2 but still, Sleeping Sentry is the most bullshit card)

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

The Black Stones posted:

Preview for the third pack of the new expansion cycle of GoT got put out.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=234

I posted my thoughts before about how the Night's Watch really weren't getting much in terms of good cards and this pack is definitely a reversal on that. Great character and a good surprise event to play to nab good characters that might have been tossed by people. Hot Pie is okay as well if you're running a loyalty heavy deck.

Doesn't lead to the preview

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Fat Samurai posted:

Stop rubbing your Ents in my face, damnit.

I'm probably going to move past the Core quests this weekend. I have both Mirkwood and Hobbit available. Any advice on which one to tackle first?

Play through Mirkwood in order. Sure some of them are anticlimactic slogs, but Conflict at the Carrock is a fun challenge and I like Rhosgobel for being unique.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Foehammer posted:

That was me who said that :)

If you want to go for specific deck types, https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-player-buying-guide/

If you want a cohesive campaign, pick up the saga expansions.

If you have a feeling that you'll happily drop $350 to get everything eventually, just start working your way through the cycles in release order.

Ended up buying Conflict at the Carrock, plus the Heirs of Numenor and The Lost Realm deluxe expansions because they were cheap on Amazon.

Present fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 4, 2016

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Chaotic Flame posted:

Doesn't lead to the preview

That was weird. It's fixed.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Amoeba102 posted:

I would probably buy every pack with an ent in it when i get back to buying.

You mean you don't already own every pack and have preordered the next one? :cmon:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I want to buy all the packs in order (even thought I bought Khazad-Dum already) as I beat them. Should I just say "gently caress it" to Escape from Dol Gulgur and skip it for now?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

COOL CORN posted:

I want to buy all the packs in order (even thought I bought Khazad-Dum already) as I beat them. Should I just say "gently caress it" to Escape from Dol Gulgur and skip it for now?

It is one of the hardest quests, but definitely beatable with a 2-handed core setup.

I recommend either using:

It's also not shameful to wipe after rolling for your imprisoned hero, or drawing the starting objective guards. A lot of the variability comes from the setup here.

Some people even manually choose the imprisoned hero, and then count every win as having also incurred 5 losses. You know, for calculating your Elo :jerkbag:

Foehammer fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 4, 2016

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

You mean you don't already own every pack and have preordered the next one? :cmon:

For poo poo's sake I decided to see the cost of doing this using CSI price.

1x Core Set = 29.99
4x Deluxe Expansions = 90
5x Saga Expansions = 112.50
27 Adventure Packs = 305.10

$537.60 to complete my set. Ouch. And that's before nightmare decks.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

djfooboo posted:

For poo poo's sake I decided to see the cost of doing this using CSI price.

1x Core Set = 29.99
4x Deluxe Expansions = 90
5x Saga Expansions = 112.50
27 Adventure Packs = 305.10

$537.60 to complete my set. Ouch. And that's before nightmare decks.

Free shipping, though! :haw:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I don't like seeing what I've spent on this game written down.
:negative:

MM does have 4% off your final order today if you use the starwars code! Buy a bunch!

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

ChiTownEddie posted:

I don't like seeing what I've spent on this game written down.
:negative:

I'm ok with it, it's not like the cards lose value or become unplayable - like in M:tG where old cards are relegated to collectables / fun cubes.

I think a 2nd ed. is probably unlikely, since there's no competitive balance to maintain, they've just errata'd the cards (Infinite Will of the West) or adjusted later scenarios with condition text (no, you may not trap the Balrog in a forest snare) to counter some of the game-breaking combos.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Foehammer posted:

no, you may not trap the Balrog in a forest snare

The mental image of this is fantastic.

"RRRRRRAAAHHHHHHRRRRRRRR"
* throws down a circle of rope tied to a tree *
"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!"

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Foehammer posted:

I'm ok with it, it's not like the cards lose value or become unplayable - like in M:tG where old cards are relegated to collectables / fun cubes.

I think a 2nd ed. is probably unlikely, since there's no competitive balance to maintain, they've just errata'd the cards (Infinite Will of the West) or adjusted later scenarios with condition text (no, you may not trap the Balrog in a forest snare) to counter some of the game-breaking combos.

Yeah I don't think there'll be a 2e either. Just doesn't seem useful at all.
Also expect Flight of the Stormcaller to appear in stores tomorrow! My buddy does the Team Covenant sub and it shipped today!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Ok, so Thalin is facing a 2 card enemy deck, and I have to draw 4 cards (last stage of the Journey Down the Anduin quest). The second card happens to be Eastern Crow, which get chopped into tiny bits by Thalin. According to the text on the card, they should go back into the Enemy pile, rather than the discard. That makes them the third card to draw, and then they get murdered again. Rinse an repeat as they get shuffled into the non-existent Enemy deck, drawn and killed again.

Am I doing something wrong? The image of a Dwarf swinging an axe at wave after wave of crows is pretty ridiculous.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Fat Samurai posted:

Ok, so Thalin is facing a 2 card enemy deck, and I have to draw 4 cards (last stage of the Journey Down the Anduin quest). The second card happens to be Eastern Crow, which get chopped into tiny bits by Thalin. According to the text on the card, they should go back into the Enemy pile, rather than the discard. That makes them the third card to draw, and then they get murdered again. Rinse an repeat as they get shuffled into the non-existent Enemy deck, drawn and killed again.

Am I doing something wrong? The image of a Dwarf swinging an axe at wave after wave of crows is pretty ridiculous.

Nope, that's the correct reading, and pretty lucky. That crow will also be your only shadow card for that round's combat, as well :)

edit: If you have no other enemies to engage, congrats on the rest of the game being a crow blender.

Foehammer fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 4, 2016

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I think as you draw the crow as the final card you might have to reshuffle the discard pile back into the encounter deck if it's during the quest phase, before the crow goes back into the encounter deck.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
So uh, what am I going to do with all my LOTR cards? I currently have the core set sleeved and in about 20 baggies in the box with the insert removed.

But... if I'm adding 60/120 cards at a time as I buy APs, that's gonna get annoying and ugly fast. What do you guys use?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Amoeba102 posted:

I think as you draw the crow as the final card you might have to reshuffle the discard pile back into the encounter deck if it's during the quest phase, before the crow goes back into the encounter deck.

The rules say "If the encounter deck is ever empty during the quest phase, the encounter discard pile is shuffled and reset back into the encounter deck."

So, does the "empty" effect trigger before the "reveal" resolution?

COOL CORN posted:

So uh, what am I going to do with all my LOTR cards? I currently have the core set sleeved and in about 20 baggies in the box with the insert removed.

But... if I'm adding 60/120 cards at a time as I buy APs, that's gonna get annoying and ugly fast. What do you guys use?

Player cards: 3-Ring Binders with Ultra Pro Hologram pages, divided up by sphere, paged by Heroes, Allies, Attachments, Events.

Each pocket holds 3 un-sleeved cards easily.

Encounter Cards: Either BCW Boxes, or more recently, Bags Unlimited Trading Card Boxes because :spergin: and they fit my horizontal dividers better.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It's empty while you are revealing the card. As soon as you draw the final card, it is empty and should be reshuffled.

I store my cards upright in the core box with some quick and dirty box dividers to get 4 rows and then card dividers between sets of cards (encounter by set, player cards by sphere, currently in use decks).

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Foehammer posted:

Player cards: 3-Ring Binders with Ultra Pro Hologram pages, divided up by sphere, paged by Heroes, Allies, Attachments, Events.

Each pocket holds 3 un-sleeved cards easily.

Encounter Cards: Either BCW Boxes, or more recently, Bags Unlimited Trading Card Boxes because :spergin: and they fit my horizontal dividers better.

Yeah, Ring binders with the Ultra pro stuff works really well for storing the Player cards.

For the encounter cards i use a7 Index card boxes. I have three of them atm and they are great.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I sleeve my encounter deck with penny sleeves. They don't get used super often, so the crappiness of the sleeves is no big deal. Those all go into team bags by encounter set, and then tossed in the box.

I keep my player cards unsleeved in a binder, as mentioned by other posters and then put them in nice sleeves when I use them.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

Warning, phone posting, probably huge.

So far I'm using this. Player cards have dividers for Sphere, Allies, Attachments and Events, then there are dividers for each kind of Encounter deck, another one for Quests and a couple for constructed decks. I'm giving this box up to Khazad-Dûm untill it's full, we'll see after that.

This game has me making Arts&Crafts :(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Fat Samurai posted:

Warning, phone posting, probably huge.

So far I'm using this. Player cards have dividers for Sphere, Allies, Attachments and Events, then there are dividers for each kind of Encounter deck, another one for Quests and a couple for constructed decks. I'm giving this box up to Khazad-Dûm untill it's full, we'll see after that.

This game has me making Arts&Crafts :(

How did you make your dividers? They look nice and crisp.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

COOL CORN posted:

How did you make your dividers? They look nice and crisp.

I made some with 65 lb cardstock and an Amazon thermal laminator.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Foehammer posted:

I made some with 65 lb cardstock and an Amazon thermal laminator.

I'm going to sink so much money into this game... ~$40-50 just to make the dividers :negative:

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

COOL CORN posted:

I'm going to sink so much money into this game... ~$40-50 just to make the dividers :negative:

Hope you have a good color printer already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

These might be a cheaper option.