Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I'm afraid to learn what I thought about Batman v Superman you will have to wait for me to carefully read and analyze the last 48 pages of that thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Heh, just making a joke.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Like I already said, I don't agree with the decision. I just don't think we should be making equally bad ones.

Ya I'm just making fun of the screenwriter for being incredibly stupid

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't think he's stupid, I think he's motivated by all the wrong things. He's morally wrongheaded. Making the Ancient One an Asian who's not from Tibet would be equally as bad as casting Tilda Swinton is, and I'm kind of disappointed Takei doesn't acknowledge that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Well thank goodness.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
Making all the characters in Gods of Egypt black would have been just as ahistorical and wrong as making them whites. Ancient Egyptians looked basically the same as modern Egyptians.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

rakovsky maybe posted:

Making all the characters in Gods of Egypt black would have been just as ahistorical and wrong as making them whites. Ancient Egyptians would have looked basically the same as modern Egyptians.

Fully agreed.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Avengers: Revengeance

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

Making the Ancient One an Asian who's not from Tibet would be equally as bad as casting Tilda Swinton is
so it would be excellent :colbert:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

I don't think he's stupid, I think he's motivated by all the wrong things. He's morally wrongheaded. Making the Ancient One an Asian who's not from Tibet would be equally as bad as casting Tilda Swinton is, and I'm kind of disappointed Takei doesn't acknowledge that.

I don't think the moral aspect is anything he has control over because a company like Marvel isn't gonna allow a movie to not sell in China, but blaming the negative reaction on "sjws" indicates that he is a man of poor mind or perhaps, stupid.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

rakovsky maybe posted:

Making all the characters in Gods of Egypt black would have been just as ahistorical and wrong as making them whites. Ancient Egyptians looked basically the same as modern Egyptians.

Wouldve looked sick tho

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Hat Thoughts posted:

Wouldve looked sick tho

Maybe. There's something subtly racist in the implication from aggrieved liberals that Will Smith looks more like an Egyptian than Gerard Butler. It turns out Africa has multiple ethnicities and isn't one vague mass of people who look phenotypically Sub-Saharan.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Wheeee posted:

They should have been respectful of the original material when making their casting decision.

Actually, Big Trouble In Little China has an almost completely Asian cast, making it one of the worst examples to use.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MonsieurChoc posted:

Actually, Big Trouble In Little China has an almost completely Asian cast, making it one of the worst examples to use.

It also owns incredibly hard

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

rakovsky maybe posted:

Maybe. There's something subtly racist in the implication from aggrieved liberals that Will Smith looks more like an Egyptian than Gerard Butler. It turns out Africa has multiple ethnicities and isn't one vague mass of people who look phenotypically Sub-Saharan.

if u dont think a movie from the director of the crow full of black ppl playing egyptian gods wouldnt look sick u got bad taste my man

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Pablo Gigante posted:

It also owns incredibly hard

Yes. It's loving great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssIuI7PYU90

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

rakovsky maybe posted:

... which is why we were complaining that the cast was whitewashed and not complaining that the cast wasn't black.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hat Thoughts posted:

I don't think the moral aspect is anything he has control over because a company like Marvel isn't gonna allow a movie to not sell in China, but blaming the negative reaction on "sjws" indicates that he is a man of poor mind or perhaps, stupid.

Well, that's the thing. I'm, as my posting history indicates, sensitive to many social justice issues, but I don't think a lot of people on that front are sensitive to a lot of what's being said. The Ancient One IS steeped in a lot of unfortunate tropes as a rule, and much like the Mandarin, the idea of "fixing him" is never going to be wholly successful without changing the entirety of the Dr. Strange mythos to the point it's unrecognizable, removing not only the pastiche of Asian mysticism, but also the fact that Steven Strange is a white man inheriting the secrets of said pastiche. Representing him with a member of some other Asian culture would also be disrespectful, because it ignores the fact that Asian people are not homogeneous or interchangeable. You can't excise the character because that would be erasure. And, of course, making him Tibet would piss China off and get the movie banned. He's entirely correct about the fact that no one decision would satisfy everyone, and certain members of the SJW movement are unfortunately falling into the trap of being very selective or ignorant of various issues.

The point is Marvel settled on the absolute worst choice of all the choices available to them.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

They're definitely going more for the David Carradine look.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Well, that's the thing. I'm, as my posting history indicates, sensitive to many social justice issues, but I don't think a lot of people on that front are sensitive to a lot of what's being said. The Ancient One IS steeped in a lot of unfortunate tropes as a rule, and much like the Mandarin, the idea of "fixing him" is never going to be wholly successful without changing the entirety of the Dr. Strange mythos to the point it's unrecognizable, removing not only the pastiche of Asian mysticism, but also the fact that Steven Strange is a white man inheriting the secrets of said pastiche. Representing him with a member of some other Asian culture would also be disrespectful, because it ignores the fact that Asian people are not homogeneous or interchangeable. You can't excise the character because that would be erasure. And, of course, making him Tibet would piss China off and get the movie banned. He's entirely correct about the fact that no one decision would satisfy everyone, and certain members of the SJW movement are unfortunately falling into the trap of being very selective or ignorant of various issues.

The point is Marvel settled on the absolute worst choice of all the choices available to them.

sounds like the solution is not seeing the movie

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Actually, they made a pretty good choice from what we've seen.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'd love to see those old racist stereotypes redone better. Charlie Chan was originally created as a counter to the Yellow Peril stereotype, and there's a lot of potential for a good movie about a chinese-american detective in 1920s Hawaii. As horribly racist as the old novels were, Fu Manchu's backstory is that he took part in the Boxer Rebellion and wants revenge on western imperialism: I'm kind of on his side there!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TFRazorsaw posted:

Most normal people see Doctor Strange and think "Oh look, this dude is magical and doing crazy magical poo poo", not "oh, this man is acturately portraying the many varied middle eastern semi-magical mystical practices by screaming out 'BY THE HOARY HOSTS OF HOGGOTH'. and shooting laser rays from his fingertips."

Like, you could change the nationality of his teacher with no loving problem to the Dr Strange mythology.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

TFRazorsaw posted:

removing not only the pastiche of Asian mysticism, but also the fact that Steven Strange is a white man inheriting the secrets of said pastiche.

This part is a bit silly.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

More stuff about Big Trouble in Little China:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j1hZFJVroE

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Fully agreed.

I hate to be that guy, as someone from the region, Egyptians are not white people. And yes there are plenty of what we would consider to be "black" people in Egypt, so no, the two are not the same.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hat Thoughts posted:

Ya I'm just making fun of the screenwriter for being incredibly stupid

Cargil owns broh!

But honestly he's just defending his buddy. The decision was made and that's probably what Derrickson said to him.

But seriously, I fuckin love Cargil and I'm so happy that a dude I've been listening on a podcast for years is getting into some big movies. I'm also glad he gave my bros at Double Toasted some notice for that interview. It warms the cockles of my heart.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Shageletic posted:

I hate to be that guy, as someone from the region, Egyptians are not white people. And yes there are plenty of what we would consider to be "black" people in Egypt, so no, the two are not the same.

I'm not sure why people keep going here with this, but

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

... which is why we were complaining that the cast was whitewashed and not complaining that the cast wasn't black.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Drifter posted:

Most normal people see Doctor Strange and think "Oh look, this dude is magical and doing crazy magical poo poo", not "oh, this man is acturately portraying the many varied middle eastern semi-magical mystical practices by screaming out 'BY THE HOARY HOSTS OF HOGGOTH'. and shooting laser rays from his fingertips."

Like, you could change the nationality of his teacher with no loving problem to the Dr Strange mythology.

Ditko and Lee threw a lot of stuff into the character and stories because he thought they sounded exotic and mysterious. A lot of what was considered and exotic and mysterious was based on warped views of what Asian culture and mythology was like. The god-like figures of his stories are named "Vishanti" and "Agamotto" and "Oshtur", which are vaguely-"Asian sounding" despite being entirely made up. These things are vague and their origins are obscure enough to be unrecognizable now, but that doesn't erase their origins. Heck, the movie has them in a very broadly "Asian"-looking temple wearing similarly styled clothes.

In any case, changing the nationality of his teacher would still be erasure.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Okay, fair enough.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Vishanti --> Vishnu
Agamotto --> Agamemnon
Oshtur --> Ashur

ive cracked the case!!!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... when did I imply at all that there was a "code" to crack...?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
The easiest thing to probably say is that white people, and white as industries like Hollywood, are completely incapable of respectfully portraying Asian cultures and characters. Consequently, rather than creating roles and characters to respectfully portray them: hiring actors and writers and other staff who would help with that portrayal positively, Hollywood would prefer erasure.

It's easier than putting effort into it, and you just need to provide enough defense for people to go, well, fair enough.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

... when did I imply at all that there was a "code" to crack...?

sounds like ur mad that u didn't crack the case

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

More like utterly confused at what's even going on.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

Vishanti --> Vishnu
Agamotto --> Agamemnon
Oshtur --> Ashur

ive cracked the case!!!
The real clue is "Stephen Strange" -> "Rehangs Ten Pets"

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

TetsuoTW posted:

The real clue is "Stephen Strange" -> "Rehangs Ten Pets"

A Peens Strength

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
And now on to the various guest appearances in Valerian? v:confused:v

"Luc Besson posted:

DAY72
Captain
Xavier Giannoli!!
Top 5 of French director!
...and such a good friend!!!!👍

Luc Besson posted:

DAY73
Monsieur Benoit Jacquot....and his friends.
By day is playing in Valerian
By night is directing "La Traviata"
At the Opera of Paris!!!!
That's what I call an Artist!!!!😌

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is the Luc Besson I love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Basebf555 posted:

There's no way that, after all of this buildup, they're going to be able to properly pay-off the Thanos storyline in a single movie. He's definitely going to end up being major anti-climax, I don't see any way around it.

There's a way around it. Have the climax be Thanos facing off against Cap wielding his shield and mjolnir, and have Thanos kill him.

• Locked thread