Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

adorai posted:

edit: I don't think any "IT guy" should be expected to wear a suit or even a tie unless they are doing it for a very specific reason on a specific day.

Agreed. For a kickoff meeting with senior management, definitely suit and tie. For an implementation with the customer's infrastructure team? Jeans and a nice polo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Woohoo! Got a second interview at a place less than a mile from my house. $10K pay raise, more leave, and work from home twice a week. God I hope I get this. Between the stupid job title change, sharepoint shenanigans, and petty schedule changes I'm dying to get out of my current gig.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Woohoo! Got a second interview at a place less than a mile from my house. $10K pay raise, more leave, and work from home twice a week. God I hope I get this. Between the stupid job title change, sharepoint shenanigans, and petty schedule changes I'm dying to get out of my current gig.

Congrats!

So I've got my first project ever as a sysadmin. We're going to be going towards VmWare Mirage to manage our clients. Has anyone here ever worked with it? I'm waiting for management to decide whether we're going with scaled down laptop-kiosks, full on laptops, VMware View, etc., but I want to do this right and I have no practical experience with Mirage so I'd like to figure out some of the more practical issues that come from deploying it before I actually do it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Walked posted:

Systems Center is a whole suite (SCCM/SCVMM/DPM/SCOM)
Which component is he trying to get going? SCCM is the bees knees, SCOM is okay but a bit of a kludge initially, SCVMM everyone seems to have mixed views on, and DPM is kinda mediocre but nice for backup if youre already licensed for the whole suite.

Either way; there are plenty of guides - espeically for lab environments.
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kevinholman/2013/10/30/configmgr-2012-r2-quickstart-deployment-guide/

I believe we're primarily going for SCCM. I'll forward our SysAdmin that link and see if it helps him. Thanks for the suggestion.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
When vendor spam makes you feel good.

I was directed to you as the person in charge of Active Directory, Exchange and other critical Microsoft applications at (Fortune 500 company).

That's right you were!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Sort of work related? Northern Alberta is currently on fire and there was a mass scale evacuation of all residents of Fort Mcmurry last night. This city happens to reside in the area known as Wood Buffalo, the government of which is a client of my company. Needless to say things are absolutely insane right now. Couple this with the fact we're short people this week and yeah, it's gonna be one of these spans of days.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Sort of work related? Northern Alberta is currently on fire and there was a mass scale evacuation of all residents of Fort Mcmurry last night. This city happens to reside in the area known as Wood Buffalo, the government of which is a client of my company. Needless to say things are absolutely insane right now. Couple this with the fact we're short people this week and yeah, it's gonna be one of these spans of days.

How good is your DR? :v:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Cthulhuite posted:

How good is your DR? :v:

Thankfully, it's goddamn immaculate.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

rafikki posted:

My management would laugh at me if I showed up wearing a button down shirt and a tie. And then assume I've got an interview somewhere else. Polo and jeans are perfectly acceptable.

I actually got laughed by my manager at for wearing a suit to my initial interview for that job. This was at an old, well established fortune 500.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I bought 2 suits when I was looking for a new job last year. Wore 1 of them to one interview and then just wore business casual to any after that. Now I guess I have suits for a wedding or something because I have no other use for them.

Jeans / t shirt every day.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So our dept was tasked to investigate skype conversations between two employees on company computers. It appears that one was harassing the other. I have never tried to do something like this before so me and my boss downloaded some random stuff and had some decent results. It appears local skype databases are easily accessible and if you have history enabled on either side everything is easy to get. Good news all around.

Bad news is the the only person in our dept with skype was my new desktop guy and we used his skype database as a test run. Turns out, he did not follow my advice about making good choices with electronic communication using company computers. It seems like 50% of his conversation was talking poo poo about us. My boss was shocked and angry.

Now I am in this battle with my boss that even though we have rights to this data on his work machine, most unfiltered private thoughts aren't going to be pleasant for everyone that reads them. I explain that our desktop guy was extremely unlucky in this situation and that coming down on him hard wouldn't be ethical. But you can't un-ring a bell. At this point my boss has agreed to not fire him but I can guarantee that he is forever tainted with his company. Even I can't ignore the things I saw and the relationship is now totally lost between us.

This is why I hate investigations and I have pushed to get 3rd parties to do it. There is just some things I don't want to find.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Vulture Culture posted:

okay at this point you're just describing IT Tuxedo Mask

To be honest most problems end up resolving themselves by the time I walk over to see what's wrong anyway

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I had an interview earlier this week and they seemed to expect me to be way more experienced than I am. I'm a desktop support guy who likes to try out more advanced topics whenever he can, and never said I was anything more than that. The interviewer seemed confused too, even going as far as asking me of I knew what I was interviewing for. I was given a title but no description. The title sounds like desktop but apparently this includes stuff that falls above my pay grade at my current gig.

He did make a valid point when I asked for feedback. I don't have a solid skill and I should focus on getting one. My current job has me fixing a lot of bullshit and rarely seeing some advanced stuff. My lead touts the fact that we touch a lot of different stuff as good, but nobody considers "worked on a VMware image and racked a switch once" to be useful. I feel like I've wasted 3 years.

So I guess I absolutely do need to get the CCNA and let the random linux and scripting dabbling be a bonus.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I've decided to quit my job next March and hike the Appalachian Trail. How much is this really going to hurt when I return to the work force? What's the "acceptable" amount of time off when you leave or don't have a job before you get raised eyebrows?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SaltLick posted:

I've decided to quit my job next March and hike the Appalachian Trail. How much is this really going to hurt when I return to the work force? What's the "acceptable" amount of time off when you leave or don't have a job before you get raised eyebrows?

Why not just put it in the resume afterwards as a hobby or personal achievement? It'd be something of note as a conversation-starter, and you can spin it about things like planning out projects in advance and dedication to a task.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sickening posted:

So our dept was tasked to investigate skype conversations between two employees on company computers. It appears that one was harassing the other. I have never tried to do something like this before so me and my boss downloaded some random stuff and had some decent results. It appears local skype databases are easily accessible and if you have history enabled on either side everything is easy to get. Good news all around.

Bad news is the the only person in our dept with skype was my new desktop guy and we used his skype database as a test run. Turns out, he did not follow my advice about making good choices with electronic communication using company computers. It seems like 50% of his conversation was talking poo poo about us. My boss was shocked and angry.

Now I am in this battle with my boss that even though we have rights to this data on his work machine, most unfiltered private thoughts aren't going to be pleasant for everyone that reads them. I explain that our desktop guy was extremely unlucky in this situation and that coming down on him hard wouldn't be ethical. But you can't un-ring a bell. At this point my boss has agreed to not fire him but I can guarantee that he is forever tainted with his company. Even I can't ignore the things I saw and the relationship is now totally lost between us.

This is why I hate investigations and I have pushed to get 3rd parties to do it. There is just some things I don't want to find.

I was tasked with doing this for an entire department once, only it was just a bunch of stupid drama and not anyone being harassed. It was really lovely and the end result was a couple people got fired. Even if our acceptable use policy has some line item in it about how you should not expect to have any privacy at work, it was essentially spying on private communications in my eyes. We've had other incidents too where managers will ask us for a way to track their employees time logged into systems or request their browser history if they think they are dinking around on Facebook too much. I won't fulfill these requests unless I have absolutely no choice because the IT department is not a stand in for someone's lovely management abilities.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Super Slash posted:

To be honest most problems end up resolving themselves by the time I walk over to see what's wrong anyway

When I was new at this I used to think I had some kind of tech mojo because I'd put my hands on a computer and it would magically be fine and stop having problems. Later I realized it's like when you're 13 and you think you have the magical power to make streetlights turn off when you walk past

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why not just put it in the resume afterwards as a hobby or personal achievement? It'd be something of note as a conversation-starter, and you can spin it about things like planning out projects in advance and dedication to a task.

I like this idea.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Seriously. This is not a problem that needs a technical solution. If they aren't getting their work done that conversation can be had without needing to involve IT.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Sirotan posted:

I was tasked with doing this for an entire department once, only it was just a bunch of stupid drama and not anyone being harassed. It was really lovely and the end result was a couple people got fired. Even if our acceptable use policy has some line item in it about how you should not expect to have any privacy at work, it was essentially spying on private communications in my eyes. We've had other incidents too where managers will ask us for a way to track their employees time logged into systems or request their browser history if they think they are dinking around on Facebook too much. I won't fulfill these requests unless I have absolutely no choice because the IT department is not a stand in for someone's lovely management abilities.

I remember at my last job when they made me do this internally.

When nothing was turned up they told me I needed to look into their personal Gmail accounts. I just laughed.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SaltLick posted:

To me as long as you have a good story to tell (trail name, hijinks, etc) I couldn't care less.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

SaltLick posted:

This isn't an unheard of thing to do (specifically the Appalachian Trail) so I don't think you'll need to worry about it too much. If anything your ability to take that kind of time as unemployed will show you're fairly organized with your finances and other responsibilities. Companies like organized people.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

SaltLick posted:

There is no magic formula. I left my last position in July last year for a Europe/Asia backpacking trip and I've been upfront about the reason for the resume gap. Make it stand out in a positive way. Besides, I wouldn't want to work with people who don't see the value in these types of experiences.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

SaltLick posted:

As with all things, it depends, but a decent company and boss will be interested in it and can easily see doing something like this as a positive step.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Just make sure you don't make it sound like you're referring to the other meaning of "Hiking the Appalachian Trail" :heysexy:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Just make sure you don't make it sound like you're referring to the other meaning of "Hiking the Appalachian Trail" :heysexy:

:o:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Hmm, this candidate can trudge through countless miles of bullshit."
"Sounds like a good fit, hired!"

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
At some point, you just have to think a vendor is taking the piss.

We ordered a 10meg internet link for a small office we have in upstate New York. The order was placed in November of last year. The circuit STILL isn't up. We're at final configuration now, rep emails me like a week ago and says "5/9 is the earliest I can get the service scheduled for turn up". I write back, say we'll take it, but please escalate the request to get it sooner. This poor office has been coming across MPLS to Portland for internet for 6 months now.

Just got this today:

"My apologies for the delayed response. I escalated and was able to get you in on 5/12 at 1p. Will send calendar invite to you once it is processed in our system. "

:psyduck:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I ordered a 10 to 100 upgrade in November for a building that has more fiber than most small towns. Still waiting. ISPs are the worst to deal with.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I ordered a port speed change on a circuit to take it from 20Mbps to 100Mbps, was told it would take a maximum of 48 hours, but the change managed to get booked for 2am the next day.

Six days later it finally got upgraded.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

DigitalMocking posted:

At some point, you just have to think a vendor is taking the piss.

We ordered a 10meg internet link for a small office we have in upstate New York. The order was placed in November of last year. The circuit STILL isn't up. We're at final configuration now, rep emails me like a week ago and says "5/9 is the earliest I can get the service scheduled for turn up". I write back, say we'll take it, but please escalate the request to get it sooner. This poor office has been coming across MPLS to Portland for internet for 6 months now.

Just got this today:

"My apologies for the delayed response. I escalated and was able to get you in on 5/12 at 1p. Will send calendar invite to you once it is processed in our system. "

:psyduck:

It took us over a YEAR to get MPLS installed at one out of 3 locations, because of constant fuckups by AT&T. I'm just waiting for our network and infrastructure guys to start cussing a blue streak as a clue for when the next site starts being worked on. Note, we were quoted "all sites up and running on MPLS inside of 3 months" when this project started.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Took Earthlink four months to run a cable 40 feet for us one time.

Edit: actually who am I kidding, they had to subcontract the job out to Time Warner Telecom (twice).

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Were upgrading a 15mbit circuit to 100.

Currently 6months into the process, and still no cutover even close to being scheduled

Government, man :psyduck:

Love my coworkers and job, loathe the red tape

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I wish you could pay to have them do a site survey before agreeing to give you service. They all swear up and down that the sky is the limit, only to have a site survey done and carrier pigeons are your best and only option. I will pay you $1,000 to send someone out and tell me what is and is not feasible. After the site survey I want realistic dates, 9 months out is something I can plan against, "30 days guaranteed unless it's 9 months" can go gently caress itself.

Level3 likes to start our billing whenever the computer says a circuit should be ready, not when it is actually ready most of the time. The balance of the time they try to start it the same day they hand us a demarc which they have known for weeks, only to have us still have to ask them for a LOA/CFA to actually extend a connection to their port. How about you start billing whenever our test and turn-up appointment is, or 2 weeks if the delay is our fault?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

SaltLick posted:

I did the same thing, but Pacific Crest Trail, and had no issues landing a job when I got back. If you've got the skills, you can pay the bills.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
This is why i don't do business with AT&T. I avoid comcast where I can as well. My other providers are smaller and i actually know a lot of the people who work on my stuff so it's easy to make things happen.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

adorai posted:

This is why i don't do business with AT&T. I avoid comcast where I can as well. My other providers are smaller and i actually know a lot of the people who work on my stuff so it's easy to make things happen.

I've actually had a good experience with Comcast. When our new HQ was being built, we built added a small lab at the last minute. Almost all the other providers coming into the building said, "That's a new order - 90 days (really 4 months)". Comcast just added it to the existing install order (which was scheduled for the next week), and sure as poo poo we had a drop into that lab the next week along with our other as scheduled installs from Comcast.

Comcast is weird beast. By me, they're pretty good on service delivery. But I know for other locations across the country, they're absolutely the worst.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

flosofl posted:

I've actually had a good experience with Comcast. When our new HQ was being built, we built added a small lab at the last minute. Almost all the other providers coming into the building said, "That's a new order - 90 days (really 4 months)". Comcast just added it to the existing install order (which was scheduled for the next week), and sure as poo poo we had a drop into that lab the next week along with our other as scheduled installs from Comcast.

Comcast is weird beast. By me, they're pretty good on service delivery. But I know for other locations across the country, they're absolutely the worst.

Comcast is divided up into kingdom like regions. A few of those regions care and are responsive, a few act like customers don't exist and you are phishing them for bank account details when you call to get service.

It's a really weird company to work with.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I feel your pain on the AT&T shittiness, but dealing with Marcatel and Telmex in Monterrey, MX is loving terrible. That and the fact that people randomly cut fiber bulkheads in the middle of business isn't conducive for a 24/7 manufacturing facility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

We do consulting work for a telecom, and let me tell you, their ability to execute internal projects in a timely manner is at least as bad as their ability to execute external projects in a timely manner. Like, three weeks to get cables run a few racks over and some ports configured. Like, asked to configure storage for for VSphere connectivity and after logging in to the switches the storage is connected to I rediscover that they are literally not connected to anything else anywhere. Not other switches, not servers, not even each other.