Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Because we all need a little tech support gore in our lives, behold, the passively-cooled Radeon HD 6450 in various Dell Optiplexes:

Incredibly, there is *not* a recall for these cards yet.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/p/19598632/20858227#20858227

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
:lol:

nah its fine

quote:

Be careful when you handle these graphics cards, and the heat sink looks like that. It could explode, I know. It happened today when I was a little bit curios and loosened the heat sink from the graphics card. The bang sounded like a gunshot, and if I had hold the heat sink it would probably hurt.

would be one short obituary

died from... external causes

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

how the buckfuck

is that heatsink made of lead or something, that poo poo shouldn't balloon at all

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Is that PCB made of the same stuff as those chinese drywall panels that were releasing fumes that dissolved houses?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Rastor posted:

chinese drywall panels that were releasing fumes that dissolved houses

That's some impressive planned obsolescence.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Chinesium: Not even once.

edit:

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

how the buckfuck

is that heatsink made of lead or something, that poo poo shouldn't balloon at all

Vapor chamber walls were probably too thin, that's all. Aluminum is great stuff, but it's not magical. Although given the lowest-bidder nature of Dells, I wouldn't be surprised if the actual spec of the material called for 6061, and then they went and made the heatsinks out of mixed aluminum scraps that they melted back down instead. What's the significance of 6061 aluminum? Well, it's an alloy that's essentially the de-facto general-purpose alloy. It's got a little magnesium and silicon mixed in to harden it and give it excellent tensile strength. It's also what commonly gets used in aircraft parts. But mixed in with a bunch of other aluminum of questionable origin, and you get aluminum whose properties aren't what they should be.

This is ESPECIALLY a problem in manufacturing, where you can't ever be 100% certain with Chinese material that what you're getting actually is what they say it is. You want 303 SST? Sure, they'll grab you a bar from the back. You want 304? They'll grab you a bar from the same rack.

You want a big example, the new replacement span for the Bay Bridge in the SF Bay Area (This is the bridge that shows up on the Golden State Warriors' logo) is riddled with Chinesium, because we didn't have the domestic capacity to make the steel here in America.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 4, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

A BLEVE isn't phase change cooling guys. :psyduck:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

xthetenth posted:

:laffo:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So what's the normal procedure when a new generation of GPU's are released? Obviously there will be a ton of 2nd hand 970's hitting the market once the 1070/1080's come out, but what about the ones left in retailer's stock? Will they be heavily discounted, or what normally happens? I built my current machine with a 750ti as a stopgap measure a year and a half or so ago, but the card is so capable that I've never really felt compelled to spend the money to upgrade. I'm finally ready to do it, and have been waiting for the new generation of cards. However, if I can get a new 970 at a heavy discount, I'll probably just go with that. I think it'll still be good for 60fps 1080p gaming for a couple of years to come, right?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

xthetenth posted:

But it does LOOK cool. :clint:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Bardeh posted:

So what's the normal procedure when a new generation of GPU's are released? Obviously there will be a ton of 2nd hand 970's hitting the market once the 1070/1080's come out, but what about the ones left in retailer's stock? Will they be heavily discounted, or what normally happens? I built my current machine with a 750ti as a stopgap measure a year and a half or so ago, but the card is so capable that I've never really felt compelled to spend the money to upgrade. I'm finally ready to do it, and have been waiting for the new generation of cards. However, if I can get a new 970 at a heavy discount, I'll probably just go with that. I think it'll still be good for 60fps 1080p gaming for a couple of years to come, right?

In the past I've seen a very short window of discounted old stock, but it does happen. Last gen it wasn't even worth it though

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

In the past I've seen a very short window of discounted old stock, but it does happen. Last gen it wasn't even worth it though
Pretty much. With the rash of sales already going on, and reports that NVidia has stopped producing the 900 series, there's a semi-decent chance that the resultant firesale will be rather short. On the other hand, that'll just drive used prices down even more for a bit, so if you don't need the latest and greatest, you should be able to pick up a gently used 970 or whatever for a really good price. If you do, just make sure you get it from a manufacturer that uses S/N based or transferable warranties.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRz_CG3DZb4

good poo poo.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Is there anything John Malkovich can't do?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Is there anything John Malkovich can't do?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this hahah.

Pretty neat video too. Engineers do gods' work :D

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just piss in my mouth already. :canada: Garbage sale.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I mean, it's not exactly Boxing Day.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Look at dem there mail in rebates.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Vintersorg posted:

Just piss in my mouth already. :canada: Garbage sale.

Wow! What deep discounts! That Hybrid 980Ti for only $915 in CAD, in the US it costs $670 USD, of course that $670 is not a sale price so they might go down a bit here, still, pretty impressive pricing in Canada!

$670 USD = $860 CAD. :laugh:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

More sales tax in Canada too. Alas.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What you do is take your PC with you across the border to USA. Buy a video card in Michigan, install it in your PC, go eat a long lunch or dinner, then drive back across the border with the explanation that you went to a LAN party. Hide the invoice for the video card underneath the motherboard.

Bam, no import duties on video card.

IANAL

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you're willing to break the law, there are lots of ways to save money.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SlayVus posted:

What you do is take your PC with you across the border to USA. Buy a video card in Michigan, install it in your PC, go eat a long lunch or dinner, then drive back across the border with the explanation that you went to a LAN party. Hide the invoice for the video card underneath the motherboard.

Bam, no import duties on video card.

IANAL

You're not going to get a very good deal if you buy a 980 Ti at a retail outlet. And bearing in mind that $1 CAD is only $0.78 USD, you might actually come out behind.

e: $650 USD + 6% tax is the cheapest that Microcenter has, so after 6% MI tax and the exchange rate it's $884 CAD for a base-level Zotac or Asus Strix 980 Ti. Of course you pay 13% (?) sales tax in Canada, so the cheapest there works out to $915 CAD, but you're not exactly saving gigantic piles of cash by bootlegging a GPU, you're talking about $30 CAD (or roughly a nickel in American dollars :smug:). Mostly you're just saving on sales tax, minus the gas you spend idling on the Ambassador Bridge for two hours.

Seriously guys, it's been said before and I'll say it again: Aussies and Canucks are getting hosed by their exchange rate and Europeans are getting hosed by their VAT, the price differences are minimal after those two factors are accounted for. If you don't like that, why don't you try lobbying your governments to cut welfare and education, or let you die of a preventable disease, so that you can vidya more cheaply? I'm sure they'll get right on that.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 5, 2016

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I don't care for the exchange rate - I just feel these are vastly overpriced this long into their life.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Vintersorg posted:

I don't care for the exchange rate - I just feel these are vastly overpriced this long into their life.

Retail prices never go down. The 980 Tis for $545 are online only. I agree that's too high at this point in time, however.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 5, 2016

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Subjunctive posted:

If you're willing to break the law, there are lots of ways to save money.

Quote this post if you voluntarily declared any out-of-state online purchases in your IRS filings this year

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Hubis posted:

Quote this post if you voluntarily declared any out-of-state online purchases in your IRS filings this year

Yes.

(my state lets you declare that you didn't track them individually and pay a tax based on income instead, and I bought a lot more than the break-even $833 online)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 5, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hubis posted:

Yep, use tax per the lookup table.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Hubis posted:

lmao gently caress no

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Hubis posted:

Yes for VA state return.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well, I suppose the answer is technically "no", because they go in state filings and not to the IRS.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I have a GTX 970 right now and game at 1080p. I'm planning on ditching nvidia and going back to AMD once Polaris drops since Freesync monitors are way cheaper than G-sync ones and I want to experience no-tearing, 144Hz buttery smooth goodness. This is a good idea, right? I don't know how credible this is, but Techpowerup claims that the R9 480 non-X version (priced at around $200) performs close to a 390X at half its power draw: https://www.techpowerup.com/222156/amd-radeon-r9-480-non-x-performs-close-to-r9-390x That can't be right, right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

teagone posted:

Freesync monitors are way cheaper than G-sync ones and I want to experience no-tearing, 144Hz buttery smooth goodness.

If you're hitting 144Hz, or near it, you IMO don't need *sync. You might want ULMB though.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

teagone posted:

I have a GTX 970 right now and game at 1080p. I'm planning on ditching nvidia and going back to AMD once Polaris drops since Freesync monitors are way cheaper than G-sync ones and I want to experience no-tearing, 144Hz buttery smooth goodness. This is a good idea, right? I don't know how credible this is, but Techpowerup claims that the R9 480 non-X version (priced at around $200) performs close to a 390X at half its power draw: https://www.techpowerup.com/222156/amd-radeon-r9-480-non-x-performs-close-to-r9-390x That can't be right, right?

That was looked at up-thead, the thing is that they were using the on-screen numbers to claim that the 480 is equal with the 390X, the problem is that the tests were obviously done with vsync enabled, they also include off-screen results which don't have vsync getting in the way, in those results the 480 benches much more like you would expect, at about 75% of the speed of a 390X and with less than half the texturing performance. On top of that this is an OpenGL based benchmark meant for things like smartphones and tablets so basically what I am saying here is the results were badly misrepresented and to take said results with a giant block of salt on top of that.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
For the love of God I need to know the price and performance of a GTX 1080 already.

The ZOTAC AMP! 980 Ti price is down to $539.

I don't want to miss out on all these smoking deals on a 980 Ti if we find out the 1080 isn't quite on par or is more expensive.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
^^^^
Strange timing there.

Don't get too excited for Pascal though

quote:

However if we compare it GTX 980 Ti running at almost the same frequency (1.8GHz with LN2 cooling), GTX 1080 is actually much slower clock to clock (link).

Starting to sound less gamernerd focused and more HPC/Workstation focused.

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 5, 2016

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

On the other hand, by putting up firesales retailers are placing a pretty obvious bet on how attractive the current generation will be when the 1080 is released.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
1080 looks compelling, maybe, from a power consumption standpoint. Cores individually are slower and a 1.8ghz 1080 seems to be about 10% faster than a factory OC 980ti (~1.2ghz). The 1080 doesn't seem that attractive at all for 1080 owners, 1070 even less so. Really depends on Pascals headroom.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Going from 28nm to 14nm is (almost)like going from the intel i5 2500k to the 6600k. There is clock-for-clock performance gains of 25% and ~45% less power draw. plus I would think they would have extra space/power/cooling for other cool stuff on the chip/card if they want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

FaustianQ posted:

^^^^
Strange timing there.

Don't get too excited for Pascal though

Starting to sound less gamernerd focused and more HPC/Workstation focused.

Uhhh, I'm not sure what the point of comparing a LN2 cooled 980Ti to a reference cooled 1080 is? If the 1080 can boost to very high clock speeds out of the box then it is faster than the 980Ti overall, which is about what I would expect. On top of that unless Nvidia are true and complete idiots(which they aren't most of the time) the new chips will have a hardware scheduler and other features that should make their DX12/Vulkan performance much better than Maxwell based cards.