Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
I am a bad person thread, I need to confess. I have played every souls game a bunch, and I still don't give a gently caress about fashion souls at all. Clownsuit 4 life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plot.lost
Aug 21, 2007

RatHat posted:

I still can't figure out what their gas attack even does.

I think it slows your movement.

Edit: nope, tested it and I was wrong.

plot.lost fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 4, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The gas attack is there to give you enough time to one-combo the jailer before it can do anything else.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Malek Deneith posted:

Re: Dark Sword discussion. Again, been using Dark Sword through NG. Switched to Carthus Curved Sword for NG+. What I got has miniscule (~13 on a 40/35 build currently) amount less AR and worse weapon art but gets bleed and a better R2, and feel pretty identical in other regards. Yet Dark Sword gets all the hate and overusage, but I hardly see CCS and nobody complains about it. It's hilarious.

For the same damage the CCS weighs more, takes more stats, has worse scaling, and does slashing damage. It probably does less poise damage, too. It's definitely not a direct upgrade.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Megaflare posted:

This is the difference.

About jailers, when the gas is done that's when the health drain ability starts. It doesn't do anything else.
For what it's worth while going heavy dark sword is pretty nice to save points if you need too (i.e. if you're going for something fancy because a pure melee can fit in 120 with points to spare), a refined dark sword with a quality build is actually stronger than the heavy one. I did also check the AR difference using Rosaria (it's only 40/35 because I haven't got the last 5 levels yet) and it was like ~17 AR difference on a full 40/40.

@up - don't see an issue with slashing damage, other than thrust having benefits on counters the physical types seem to work all pretty well. And dork sword only has thrust on what, roll attacks? For scaling, again, the AR difference is minor. As for weight yes that 1 point more is going to be so hard to fit, lol.

Regardless I didn't say it's an upgrade, but that it's a pretty compareable weapon in terms of performance.

Malek Deneith fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 4, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Do invaders see neutral phantoms? Like the ghosts of other players nearby but aren't in your own game. I honestly can't remember from my time invading.

A friend of mine is going to spooky-ghost it up if they get invaded.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

So, has From said anything about poise being broken? Are they fixing it, or what?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

In order to activate their death vision, jailers need to clear their bowels first.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
If I just want to be a huge rear end in a top hat with the Estoc will it do more damage raw + buffed or with a sharp or refined build? I somehow still haven't used it at all but I fancy making a build specifically designed around the Leo ring and it seems to be hands down the best weapon for it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Day Man posted:

So, has From said anything about poise being broken? Are they fixing it, or what?

A Bamco community rep said they would ask the devs about it. :downs:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Harrow posted:

Well, no, it's not that it's impossible to change the code. It's that altering the speed at which you can drink Estus would have a serious effect on PvE balance, where some bosses can already punish Estus well enough (hi, Nameless King!) that you have to time your sips carefully not to get owned. Slowing down Estus drinking would make it effectively impossible to heal during some fights, which isn't good.

Now, maybe making Undead Hunter Charms throw faster, track better, and have a longer duration could help.

They should take a modified page from Bloodline Champions and make it so player vs. player damage (or some percentage of it) is indicated by a different color on your health bar and can't be healed.

Or if that's still too harsh you can play around with this and make it "only for a certain amount of time" or "healable, but at a vastly less efficient rate," etc.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 4, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Even with both stamina reduction rings on, three kicks to a guy's greatshield still didn't guardbreak him :geno:

These things are pathetically weak.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Day Man posted:

I mean, considering that it's turned completely off in the release version, the general safe assumption is no, it's just not in the game.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Just started up with a Pyromancer and Fire Gem. I'm not quite feeling the axe, and was thinking maybe going for a dex build since that would also reduce cast time as well, with just enough strength to use some of the polearm weapons/scythe. Am I on the wrong track for a pyro build?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Just Offscreen posted:

Oddly enough, I actually got and was using the Dark Sword before I read anything about it- I switched back to the Halberd once I found out.

Yeah, because it looks cool and you pried it from the cold, dead hands of a skeleman.

Why did you switch? No judgement, just interested in your reason.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Neeksy posted:

Just started up with a Pyromancer and Fire Gem. I'm not quite feeling the axe, and was thinking maybe going for a dex build since that would also reduce cast time as well, with just enough strength to use some of the polearm weapons/scythe. Am I on the wrong track for a pyro build?
fire gem is trash

infuse a weapon with Raw and use Carthus Flame Arc on it

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

voltcatfish posted:

wait there was a balance patch and they didn't nerf the dark sword?

lol if you think they are going to balance straight swords.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

turtlecrunch posted:

That's just because the same character archetypes are used over and over and over again.

There's a difference between character archetypes and having two characters that share everything except some aspects of personality. Karla is just straight up Yuria the Witch with the exception that she's cool with dark and evil magic instead of being ashamed and afraid.

Your Computer posted:

My first impression of this game was "oh wow, they've made Demon's Souls 2 in Bloodborne's engine and called it Dark Souls 3". The game has so many areas and little things that feel very Demon's Souls, much more so than DS1 (or 2).

This exactly. They kept with the interconnected world that they've been doing since DkS1 but honestly it felt like Demon's Souls in terms of everything area being fairly unique, visually and design-wise.
Hell, Firelink is straight up the Nexus once you think about it.
  • It's layout is very similar, swapping Archstones for Lord Thrones
  • Weird midget plot character
  • NPC's are laid out similarly, with the Miracle vendor being far away from the mages and the Dark Magic vendor being all by herself* (except for Greirat but he was long gone before I ever found Karla so I forgot about him)
  • Non-vendor NPC's you meet in the game occasionally stop by with quest dialogue and then leave later
  • Cool music change once important plot point triggers
  • Has a creepy atmosphere and secretly hides the entrance to the endgame area

Even the games area progression feels fairly similar in places with the most obvious parallel being Lothric Castle/Boletarian Palace. You start at the bottom, advance to a point, come back after plot events, and depending on how much of the game you want to complete you can either come back later or go right on through to the end.
I only really started to heavily put together all of it when I finished the game and saw that the ending I got was literally the same thing you do in DeS's "bad" ending, even including stomping on the Firekeepers face like what happens to the Maiden in Black

I really hope we get a proper sequel to DeS but honestly if we don't, then that's what Dark Souls 3 is to me. I'll just tell myself that everyone is turning in to tree things thanks to the Great Old One.

HnK416 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 4, 2016

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RabidWeasel posted:

If I just want to be a huge rear end in a top hat with the Estoc will it do more damage raw + buffed or with a sharp or refined build? I somehow still haven't used it at all but I fancy making a build specifically designed around the Leo ring and it seems to be hands down the best weapon for it.

Unless you have an absurd amount of stats I think it's always better Raw+buff.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

IronicDongz posted:

fire gem is trash

It would be fun to have some spare fire axes on principle, but, well, nearly every axe is one per NG if you don't consider classes starting with one, particularly if you want to make matching sets :downs:

"Okay, I'll keep this brigand axe able to be buffed. And then I'll put a Chaos infusion on my other brigand...poo poo."

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have beaten beaten Dancer. I just found out about Sirris and already had her as far as waiting for me on Irythill bridge. I helped her out, spoke to her at Firelink, and went to the edge of where I fought the Greatwood boss. No summon sign there. Thoughts? Did I screw something up? Where EXACTLY should it be?

[ed] NM. Had to reload area a second time.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 4, 2016

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

IronicDongz posted:

fire gem is trash

I'm literally just at the firelink shrine for the first time, I'm guessing that doing your suggestion is a while out.

For early game, a fire gem should probably be useful until that point, right?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

HnK416 posted:

[*]NPC's are laid out similarly, with the Miracle vendor being far away from the mages and the Dark Magic vendor being all by herself

Karla sits like, 5 feet away from Greirat.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Neeksy posted:

I'm literally just at the firelink shrine for the first time, I'm guessing that doing your suggestion is a while out.

I don't know about Carthus Flame Arc but no, you should have access to a Raw gem in like five minutes.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I made a new character and was finally summoned as a blue spirit to another world (!) but what I zoned into seemed incredibly strange. I popped into the undead settlement, near the bonfire you pass when you find Cornyx, but everything seemed so much brighter than usual. The ground seemed a little paler and cliff rocks seemed unusually light. There was also some kind of spooky ambient sound effect going on at the same time. Does something go on in that zone that I've just happened to miss every time I've been there?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Neeksy posted:

Not really, you get a raw gem really early on and it's better(not split damage, can be buffed). Carthus Flame Arc is a while later but since you'll be putting points in int/faith instead of str/dex as pyro anyways it's good to have raw for a while

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
You know the two guys watching the ladder down to the poison swamp? Some wolfbro dedicated dude runs hollow ring + dressing and acting like one, even wolfbro I was confused :D

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Hate to ask but does anyone on PS4 have a spare set of Warden Twinblades they could drop for me? Been farming them all evening to no avail :smith:

PSN is Bad_Parenting00 in case anyone is awesome and can help out.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Cyberventurer posted:

I made a new character and was finally summoned as a blue spirit to another world (!) but what I zoned into seemed incredibly strange. I popped into the undead settlement, near the bonfire you pass when you find Cornyx, but everything seemed so much brighter than usual. The ground seemed a little paler and cliff rocks seemed unusually light. There was also some kind of spooky ambient sound effect going on at the same time. Does something go on in that zone that I've just happened to miss every time I've been there?

Its just a graphical glitch in that area I think

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

Internet Kraken posted:

Karla sits like, 5 feet away from Greirat.

I keep forgetting that because Greirat died for me waaaay before I found Karla

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Speaking of which, Greirat died for me again :(

How the gently caress does he survive Irthyll? I did all of the following;

-Gave Sig his armour
-Sent Greirat to Irthyll
-Talked to Sig in the kitchen before going to the dungeon bonfire

I thought that would work but he still died to the spiders.

EDIT: And now the Shrine Maiden is making fun of me because I keep getting people killed :saddowns:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 4, 2016

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
This thread moves way to fast for me to keep up, but i gotta say its awesome playing a souls game with lots of people playing it, i put down a soap stone sign and someone is summoning me for help before I even walk away.

So i saved up and bought the tower key and found the fire keeper soul . should i just immediately give it to the fire keeper at the shrine bonfire, or would there be any reason to wait?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

-Gave Sig his armour
-Sent Greirat to Irthyll

You might need to kill Pontiff before lighting the Dungeon bonfire. Or even Aldrich, to be safe. Not too sure.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

MrLonghair posted:

You know the two guys watching the ladder down to the poison swamp? Some wolfbro dedicated dude runs hollow ring + dressing and acting like one, even wolfbro I was confused :D

I call them the Smash Brothers

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

HnK416 posted:

There's a difference between character archetypes and having two characters that share everything except some aspects of personality. Karla is just straight up Yuria the Witch with the exception that she's cool with dark and evil magic instead of being ashamed and afraid.

I don't think we're disagreeing on anything... When you have characters that share most of their traits except for a few tweaks, those are two variations of an archetype. Said archetype in this case being "advanced magic trainer that hates herself and wears spooky clothes and is probably voiced by Jenny Funnell".

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Internet Kraken posted:

-Gave Sig his armour
-Sent Greirat to Irthyll

EDIT: And now the Shrine Maiden is making fun of me because I keep getting people killed :saddowns:

Apparently you are suppose to tell Patches, but the fucker never loving prompted it for me and welp Greirat is dead the next time I loaded back in Irthyll.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
There's something off with this message but I just can't quite put my finger on what.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
You must kill Pontiff after talking to Sieg in the kitchen for Greirat to come back.
e: without going toward the dungeon
e2: you do not have to talk to Sieg before sending Greirat, I sent Greirat and got to the kitchen and realized I had forgotten to get Sieg out of the well, so I went back and did that, returned to the kitchen, talked, killed Pontiff, and Greirat came back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

New Concept Hole posted:

For the same damage the CCS weighs more, takes more stats, has worse scaling, and does slashing damage. It probably does less poise damage, too. It's definitely not a direct upgrade.
I dunno, the stat scaling/requirements and weight differences are fairly negligible, and slashing damage isn't that much of a disadvantage in this game. In return you get the crazy good two-handed R1's of a curved sword + bleed damage on top of it. Not sure about the poise damage, but it's really good in PvP at least.

Internet Kraken posted:

-Gave Sig his armour
-Sent Greirat to Irthyll

I think you might have to talk to Siegward before sending Greirat out, but I'm not sure. That's what I did differently at least, and he survived in my game.