Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So this is a thing apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I was actually thinking of trying out a miracles PvP character. People complain about the offensive ones being bad but aren't some of the buffs pretty good?

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

Finally beat all the bosses in the game solo now that I've gone through NG+. Pals helped me out with Abyss Watchers, Wolnir, and Pontiff my first run through and they just felt kind of cheap as a result to be honest. Wolnir is still a boring bad fight though. PvP feels totally pointless outside of 1v1 fight club situations, so I guess I'll shelve this game until the DLC. What a game, though! I never got past the gargoyles in DS1 or the first boss in DS2, so I'm itching to go back and play those now.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Okay yeah I knew about the lead up but I didn't know about what happens if you wait :staredog:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I was actually thinking of trying out a miracles PvP character. People complain about the offensive ones being bad but aren't some of the buffs pretty good?

tears of denial is very good

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

...The gently caress? I don't know which is weirder, the straight up Visceral Attack or what the crocodog did afterwards.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 355 days!
offensive miracles don't get good until late- to end-game, 40 faith, and a ring or two. then they're very good.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

IronicDongz posted:

Not really, you get a raw gem really early on and it's better(not split damage, can be buffed). Carthus Flame Arc is a while later but since you'll be putting points in int/faith instead of str/dex as pyro anyways it's good to have raw for a while

I figured Pyro was kind of like a mixed-magic class, like the Souls equivalent of a Red Mage. I was hoping to use pyromancy as a sort of supplement to using Dex weapons, but if that's not really too viable, maybe I should rethink my strategy.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

The buffs are great but I can barely justify putting the points into anything besides deep protection

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 355 days!
[ASK] me about taking 2/3 of the nameless king's friend's health off in ng+ with one sunlight spear to the noggin

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Does +1'ing your magic staff make it do more damage with spells? I have no idea if I should be upgrading my Sorcerer staff or wait for something better. I have the Heretics but that's all. Not very far into the game yet.

Raw seems like the way to go for a mage infusion, since it just does good flat damage.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Does anyone know if the Dragonslayer Spear and Swordspear's entire moveset scales with faith or just the weapon art?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

I knew about the VA but... :smith:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

mistaya posted:

Does +1'ing your magic staff make it do more damage with spells? I have no idea if I should be upgrading my Sorcerer staff or wait for something better. I have the Heretics but that's all. Not very far into the game yet.

Raw seems like the way to go for a mage infusion, since it just does good flat damage.

Yes, it will make the "spell buff" stat on the staff increase according to how much INT you have. Just use sorcerer, heretic starts off kinda better but sorcerer actually outdoes it eventually, plus you have to 2hand heretic, then once you get to PC get the court sorcerer. You can try the crystal staff once you get to the end of the grand archives too, but I was not impressed by it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

turtlecrunch posted:

I knew about the VA but... :smith:

Hard to feel bad. Those guys are assholes. Begging for mercy once they know they're beat is hilarious.

net cafe scandal posted:

Does anyone know if the Dragonslayer Spear and Swordspear's entire moveset scales with faith or just the weapon art?
The entire moveset I believe. Tends to be that way any time you see a weapon with split damage (physical and lighting in this case).

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 5, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I just had a dumb realization.

Hosts and Co-Op phantoms flipping the gently caress out on me while I'm just relaxing in the prayer pose and then spamming disdainful poses over my corpse, even if they were willing to let me hang out with them up until then.

They probably thought the prayer pose was me trying to black crystal out, and the only thing worse than an invader potentially betraying them later is a purple invader getting away, I guess?

This realization came to me, when the reaction to my holding the pose for a healing miracle was for the host and the co-op brigade to flip the gently caress out, backstab me, 3vs1 curbstomp me, and spam poses over my body.

Because anything that so much as resembles the black crystal animation awakens the injured pride blood lust in people. "That invader is trying to ESCAPE JUSTICE!" "Uh, no dude don't you see the chime-OH gently caress" "HAHA WE ARE TOO CLEVER FOR YOUR TRICKS!"

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

I did this to the one outside of the Dungeon bonfire. But I thought it'd start doing Sif's half-assed attacks if I waited any longer

:smith:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

HnK416 posted:

...The gently caress? I don't know which is weirder, the straight up Visceral Attack or what the crocodog did afterwards.

Most bosses and big enemies can be staggered and visceraled.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

RatHat posted:

yeah, the times I actually beat NK and dragonslayer armor were both because I managed to get aggressive and get more than one visceral off. it's really a big benefit in most fights, since attrition favors the boss so going HAM is a pretty valid strategy.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Neeksy posted:

I figured Pyro was kind of like a mixed-magic class, like the Souls equivalent of a Red Mage. I was hoping to use pyromancy as a sort of supplement to using Dex weapons, but if that's not really too viable, maybe I should rethink my strategy.
Well, it does let you branch out into other kinds of magic more easily since you'll have some of both Int and Faith so you can pick up some sorceries/miracles if you please, but if you wanna get good return out of it you probably won't have that many other points to put in other stats.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
my guy at level 90 has 30/30 fth int, and can use a lot of fun magic (although that's mostly for fooling around and not really my damage source) while dealing decent endgame damage with a chaos infused weapon. i'm up to 460 with a chaos uchi, which i feel like is pretty respectable, and lets me deal seemingly on par damage to the endgame stuff.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

RatHat posted:

I wasn't expecting this at all in this game (although I shouldn't be surprised), so it's been fun to trying and figure them out myself as I do replays. The ones I can't figure out are boss staggers, unlike monsters which seem to have weak points, or weaknesses during particular animations, the boss ones seem to be much harder to figure out.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Utility miracles are quite good. Tears of Denial is a literal life saver in many situations (though completely useless if what's killing you is a multi-hit attack, since it leaves you at only 1 HP). Deep Protection and Sacred Oath are both fantastic. DMB/LB are of course good. Force is as good at knocking people off ledges as always. Blessed Weapon is a bit weak but is the coolest looking buff imo. Vow of Silence is hilarious to use against the few casters you might see.

But since it's all utility ones that are especially good, I highly recommend a hybrid build. Str/fth is the preferred imo, on account of Morne's Greathammer and (to a lesser extent) the Dragonslayer Greataxe, both of which are fantastic weapons.

hampig posted:

I wasn't expecting this at all in this game (although I shouldn't be surprised), so it's been fun to trying and figure them out myself as I do replays. The ones I can't figure out are boss staggers, unlike monsters which seem to have weak points, or weaknesses during particular animations, the boss ones seem to be much harder to figure out.

Seems to be just doing enough attacks in a quick enough timeframe.

Weirder thing to me is how there are bosses that you can stagger but cannot score a crit off of, like Soul of Cinder of Dragonslayer Armour.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So assuming you are one of the people that can actually get summoned as a blue boy, what would be the best level/equipment range for farming those drat ears?

Genocyber posted:

Utility miracles are quite good. Tears of Denial is a literal life saver in many situations (though completely useless if what's killing you is a multi-hit attack, since it leaves you at only 1 HP). Deep Protection and Sacred Oath are both fantastic. DMB/LB are of course good. Force is as good at knocking people off ledges as always. Blessed Weapon is a bit weak but is the coolest looking buff imo. Vow of Silence is hilarious to use against the few casters you might see.

But since it's all utility ones that are especially good, I highly recommend a hybrid build. Str/fth is the preferred imo, on account of Morne's Greathammer and (to a lesser extent) the Dragonslayer Greataxe, both of which are fantastic weapons.

Yeah I was planning on making a hybrid that used the drang hammers, though morne's greathammer could also be fun. I haven't actually seen anyone using that weapon ingame.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
pyromancer run is fun if you just only pump stats into attune/int/faith. even though you have three ring slots used up (swamp/witch/sage) the damage you get from great chaos orb is ridiculous against bosses; once you have your faith high enough you can just equip a fire clutch ring as your last one and with tears of denial you can easily obliterate them before they can kill you. the only downside is the weapons which scale with int are terrible and the only ones that scale with faith are spears which are poo poo.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Spears are win.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Can someone explain what happened and how it goes? Doing a riposte with no weapon?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Desperate Character posted:

the only downside is the weapons which scale with int are terrible and the only ones that scale with faith are spears which are poo poo.

I ended up pretty much just carrying around a sword with me for when something was so easy to kill I could just slip in and murder them with it rather than wasting a few of my precious, precious FP (like those little hat wearing ambush assholes in the Grand Archives). Great Chaos Orb was essentially my weapon of choice for most of the second half of the game, alternating with stuff like Dark Orb for bosses that were fire resistant or Chaos Bed Vestiges when I wanted to just destroy something fast.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah I was planning on making a hybrid that used the drang hammers, though morne's greathammer could also be fun. I haven't actually seen anyone using that weapon ingame.

Not used it myself, but from see others with it it seems very good. The skill is basically perseverance + wog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNxcFxlh_ZQ

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Jastiger posted:

Can someone explain what happened and how it goes? Doing a riposte with no weapon?

You can crit most of the monsters in the game if you bop them on the nose. This one just lays down defeated when you do it, which hardly anyone knew until now because they're such dangerous fuckers.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Desperate Character posted:

pyromancer run is fun if you just only pump stats into attune/int/faith. even though you have three ring slots used up (swamp/witch/sage) the damage you get from great chaos orb is ridiculous against bosses; once you have your faith high enough you can just equip a fire clutch ring as your last one and with tears of denial you can easily obliterate them before they can kill you. the only downside is the weapons which scale with int are terrible and the only ones that scale with faith are spears which are poo poo.
get astora greatsword and infuse chaos/dark for A scaling in both int and faith :colbert:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Pro watchdog strats

Gundyr's armor, prisoner's chain, leo and wasp ring, chloranthy ring +2, Gundy's halberd, and a caestus in the left hand

edit: gundyr's halberd is a "standard" weapon type, not thrust, so nevermind on the leo ring..Bloodring it is!

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 5, 2016

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

I wonder if you can just beat on it until it dies once it gives up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Y'know, as much as I grouse about DS3, I do have to say that the final boss fight is perfect on every level.

He cycles through popular Dark Souls playstyles, representing all of the player characters who've ever linked the Fire? Amazing. People had these vague wishes to fight the Chosen Undead in DS2 and From found a way to perfectly deliver it in DS3. And then the way it slowly introduces Gwyn's theme in the second phase--just the first three notes, at first, just enough to make any nostalgia-ridden fan's ears perk up--is exactly right.

It's a perfect final boss for the series.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I wonder if you can just beat on it until it dies once it gives up.

Yeah, I do that. The only thing it did was flail around (which does damage), it doesn't get back up.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I really wish there was a way to check covenant progress.

Oh well, I'll keep donating sawgrass incrementally until I hit 10.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Holy poo poo, what? I visceral attacked and knocked it over but then I just beat it to death before it stopped thrashing, assuming it would get back up.

That's... kind of haunting, actually. It's like it's praying, or begging for mercy. I wonder what those things were before becoming giant monstrosities.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Weird that using a refined gem on most weapons makes them "refined" yet using one on the Manikin Claws makes them "skilled". Is there a difference?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Jastiger posted:

If you do stagger certain enemies, they go into a stunned state that allows you to do a visceral attack straight out of Bloodborne. Triggering this state seems to be tied largely to doing enough damage in a small time frame, but there are apparently other triggers, like hitting that dog in the face at just the right time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Jastiger posted:

Basically, you see him switching out his sword before starting the visceral. You can do a visceral with a weapon fine. Probably did it to make sure the crocodog didn't die.