Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

nerdman42 posted:

Until Saeko said something about “being the family chosen by the Earth” I didn’t really attach any symbolism to the name “Gaia-memories” until then. I just took it for granted as its name. So they’re using the “history of the Earth” to make this poo poo? How the gently caress does that work. I mean, other than evil science.

I always assumed it was some sort of planetary consciousness shenanigans. The Gaia Library is the accumulation of all knowledge on Earth, and the Gaia Memories are the physical expression of that knowledge in handy drug-metaphoric form. This also ties in mildly to W's very light environmental theme, what with Fuuto being a green city and wind power and whatnot.

Which also gives it a fun tie to Fourze, what with it being the extraterrestrial show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

nerdman42 posted:

Kirihiko and Shotaro bonding over how much they love Fuuto is the funniest and later saddest thing in the world and I almost wish that scene lasted longer. I guessed Saeko would pull a black widow on Kirihiko and that didn’t any less sad. I’ll miss that loser.

He gets a talk show though, so that's a nice conclusion.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Light Gun Man posted:

Are there any images of what this idea would have ended up looking like? Concept art, manga version, what if figure?

SIC did one, where she got the Perfecter, a mouthplate to make her look more like a Rider. It's honestly pretty cool and fits her. Outside of that, if there were any concept drawings, they were never released.

The Perfecter is actually a pretty great name for an upgrade for her and I hope they did base it off of the original plans to upgrade her, because Tackle's entire deal was that she and Stronger were unfinished cyborgs. Stronger broke free before the finishing touches could be made on him, which is why his hands are just straight up mechanical at all times, and he found Tackle in an even earlier state of surgery.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Reading your posts on W is very entertaining nerdman42.

V-Men posted:

Remembering this makes me want to go back and watch all of those. They were amazing.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Reading your posts on W is very entertaining nerdman42.

Remembering this makes me want to go back and watch all of those. They were amazing.

Yeah when it comes time to watch the movie of W (Around episode 44 iirc) make sure to watch the Net Movies first. They're silly little one offs with the actors dicking around doing silly things. They're the most charming thing imaginable.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Yeah when it comes time to watch the movie of W (Around episode 44 iirc) make sure to watch the Net Movies first. They're silly little one offs with the actors dicking around doing silly things. They're the most charming thing imaginable.

I'm not sure I ever watched these. Where can I find them?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Burkion posted:

SIC did one, where she got the Perfecter, a mouthplate to make her look more like a Rider. It's honestly pretty cool and fits her. Outside of that, if there were any concept drawings, they were never released.

The Perfecter is actually a pretty great name for an upgrade for her and I hope they did base it off of the original plans to upgrade her, because Tackle's entire deal was that she and Stronger were unfinished cyborgs. Stronger broke free before the finishing touches could be made on him, which is why his hands are just straight up mechanical at all times, and he found Tackle in an even earlier state of surgery.

When will KR villains ever learn to keep their cyborg surgeries secure? They should at least do the brainwashing first, jeez. Googling that it is pretty neat, but maybe they should have upgraded her some pants while they were at it.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

I'm not sure I ever watched these. Where can I find them?

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=separate&user=93569

Over-time's got it up on their page here.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

OnimaruXLR posted:

I always assumed it was some sort of planetary consciousness shenanigans. The Gaia Library is the accumulation of all knowledge on Earth, and the Gaia Memories are the physical expression of that knowledge in handy drug-metaphoric form. This also ties in mildly to W's very light environmental theme, what with Fuuto being a green city and wind power and whatnot.

Which also gives it a fun tie to Fourze, what with it being the extraterrestrial show

That does make a lot of sense. If Mr. Futo can end up the town mascot, they've all got to be fairly eco-friendly,

drat the Sonozakis are basically checking off every box in the evil rich family checklist for kicks. Drugs, environment trashing, blaming other people for things they caused, evil cat, screwing over each other, lots of murder... The only other evil thing they haven't done yet falls under a different rating.

V-Men posted:

God what an amazing loser.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm eagerly awaiting your reaction to the next episode.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Oh my god we traded the kind-of-evil-but-also-not loser for an angsty loser. He drags a heavy-rear end sword around and turns himself into a motorcycle what a NERD.

I mean he's also dangerous and nearly kills relatively innocent people and seems to be influenced by some mysterious third party? And that's bad. But also what a loving nerd.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

nerdman42 posted:

Oh my god we traded the kind-of-evil-but-also-not loser for an angsty loser. He drags a heavy-rear end sword around and turns himself into a motorcycle what a NERD.

I mean he's also dangerous and nearly kills relatively innocent people and seems to be influenced by some mysterious third party? And that's bad. But also what a loving nerd.

:allears:

I love hearing people's reactions to Terui.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I will never get tired of Terui going "HEN..."

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"SHIN!"

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I was hoping no one would follow up on that so I could come back tomorrow and finish it.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Some Numbers posted:

I know. I can't wait for nerdman to requote his first impression of Accel when he gets to the end of the series.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!

Some Numbers posted:

I always thought it was kind of weird how Terui's arc ended up being a total validation of revenge. He finds the guy he wants to murder, murders the poo poo out of him, and is immediately shown laughing and playing with kids. I mean, the guy totally deserved it, and that kind of emotional closure could realistically do somebody a lot of good, but... this is kind of a kid's show.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Kamen Rider always skewed a bit older with its demographic and never shied away from some of the not so child friendly notions you could find in it. Still always a kids show, but one where most of the original Riders are all figures of tragedy, and a good chunk of the Heisei Riders all have a LOT of poo poo go down with them at the center.

The most kid friendly thing ABOUT Accel is, in fact, the fact that his quest for revenge DOES leave him happy and well adjusted. Older Rider, and I'm not just talking about Showa era either, always played up that revenge was wrong and was the wrong thing to fight for. V3 is initially denied his plea to become a cyborg because all he had in his heart was revenge, the entire story with Riderman was about him learning to let go of his vengeance and do the right thing, Stronger starts out seeking revenge against everything and everyone and it keeps escalating until the one closest to him dies to save his life, after which he starts to learn to become a better person and a better hero, Kamen Rider Black's entire story is just one big tragedy though not one about revenge after the majority of Golgom were defeated. Kuuga embodied the often forgotten title of the Kamen Riders- the crying warrior, men who do not lose their hearts to hate and fury and instead fight for justice even if it goes against everything they believe in. Ryuki showed several twisted Riders and why they were wrong, all that fun stuff. Accel just gets the easy way out of the guy he's going after being that big of a monster, no gray areas, and his death is totally a good thing that makes him feel better. It's not BAD, but it is way more simplistic than the morality that Rider could have in the past and shows the general direction the franchise was and still is heading, at least on TV. Kamen Rider Amazons is a huge throwback to the complexity of early Heisei, and is great for it because of how different it is.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Out of curiosity, this "two Riders" thing is pretty common, right? I assume its a staple of the franchise since both W and OOO have it. Although, Date and Eiji got along much better than Shotaro and Terui. On the other hand, maybe Gotou was filling the angsty Rider thing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

nerdman42 posted:

Out of curiosity, this "two Riders" thing is pretty common, right? I assume its a staple of the franchise since both W and OOO have it. Although, Date and Eiji got along much better than Shotaro and Terui. On the other hand, maybe Gotou was filling the angsty Rider thing.

There being multiple Riders is a thing that dates back to the original 1971 series. It's actually easier to find a series where there are NOT two Riders.

Series where only one Rider appears for the entire run, without crossovers from other previous Riders or new Riders joining the existing cast as either friend or enemy are-

Kamen Rider Amazon

Kamen Rider Super-1 (If you don't count his movie which was a crossover)

Kamen Rider Black (Maybe if you don't count Shadow Moon as a Rider)

Kamen Rider Kuuga

And that's it. Four out of the entire history of the show have had only one Rider. Amazon and Black both bend the rules a bit, Black with Shadow Moon, and Amazon gets a monster ally part way into his series in the Mole Beast Man.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Just wait until you meet Fourze's secondary rider.

Or Drive's. :allears:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Please don't get me started on Meteor again.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Some Numbers posted:

Please don't get me started on Meteor again.

Don't you besmirch the good name of Meteor.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Don't you besmirch the good name of Meteor.

Do you guys really like Meteor that much?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

He's fine, it's his arc that's dumb.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Motto posted:

He's fine, it's his arc and eye-searing second form that's dumb.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Eponymous posted:

I always thought it was kind of weird how Terui's arc ended up being a total validation of revenge. He finds the guy he wants to murder, murders the poo poo out of him, and is immediately shown laughing and playing with kids. I mean, the guy totally deserved it, and that kind of emotional closure could realistically do somebody a lot of good, but... this is kind of a kid's show.

I didn't really view it that way. His fighting for revenge nearly gets him killed, e.g., when he takes on Weather and Double does the double maximum drive to try to ward off Weather. It's only when he's fighting to save the life of that bird scientist woman does his need for revenge get overtaken by his need to protect someone. Only then can he actually defeat Isaka.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Some Numbers posted:

Motto posted:

He's fine, it's his arc that's dumb.

You should definitely watch Fourze and Drive after you finish W, nerdman. They are good.

Maybe also Gaim. It's decent but kinda divisive.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I've been told that Fourze has a lot of stuff I adore, so that's next on my list.

After that, I was debating checking out some pre-W stuff? Although I have no idea where to start.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I've enjoyed everything from W to Ghost except Wizard... but I've found the pre W series harder to get into.
Even Kuuga, which I mostly found boring despite everyone else loving it. I did get halfway through Ryuki, though, and plan to finish it eventually. I'd recommend finishing Fourze and Drive first at least (Drive is really, really good), as well as Gaim (an imperfect series but one worth watching).

I do like Amazons a whole lot, though, and it's extremely different from these modern riders or sentai, so it just might be my whims.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
New Ghost is up with a guest appearance by certain Rabbit ranger (who I didn't realize until after it was pointed out). Also, another great possession by Houdini though they might be taking liberties with his history I think. And one other thing happened in the episode.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

V-Men posted:

I didn't really view it that way. His fighting for revenge nearly gets him killed, e.g., when he takes on Weather and Double does the double maximum drive to try to ward off Weather. It's only when he's fighting to save the life of that bird scientist woman does his need for revenge get overtaken by his need to protect someone. Only then can he actually defeat Isaka.

Pretty much this is how it goes down and I'm confused how anyone missed the point of it when they make a character explicitly state over and over again what's going on.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

nerdman42 posted:

I've been told that Fourze has a lot of stuff I adore, so that's next on my list.

After that, I was debating checking out some pre-W stuff? Although I have no idea where to start.

I can only add in on shows I've watched, and my opinion doesn't represent the majority, but here goes.

Kuuga is good, maybe a little slow? Solid action and a really big supporting cast. It's sort of like W, but the police play a significantly larger role. Also if you like mass murder this show has you covered.

Agito feels like a natural progression from Kuuga, but it's absolutely not mandatory to view them in order. They technically take place in the same universe, but if you don't know that you'll barely notice. It's a show with a lot of emphasis on mystery, and it's fun watching all that poo poo unfold. The action is really solid, and the lead is a personal favorite of mine. He's really upbeat and positive about everything, and is the last person you'd expect to be kicking rear end. A little bit like Eiji I guess?

555 is a tough sell. It's a lot more focused on the ~drama~ of Rider shows. It's not an atrocious piece of poo poo, but it has an annoying habit of creating drama out of characters not loving talking to each other. It's one that I'd suggest trying a few episodes of before diving in whole hog. Though I'll be fair and say the designs of the Riders are really goddamned sleek.

Kabuto starts off with some of the smoothest action you'll ever see in a Toku series. Then it goes off the rails and fellates its protagonist for the entirety of the series. Characters will disappear and reappear without any warning, one set of Rider powers is introduced and basically forgotten entirely, and I'm pretty sure some guy turns into a villain for no reason other than "because we need one." It's a fascinating trainwreck to behold, and it's fun to watch the show try desperately to keep things together with how bad things are falling apart behind the scenes.

Den-O is easily the goofiest Rider series out there. It's lots of time traveling shenanigans on a magic train, and has one of the most gentle Kamen Riders ever to put on the suit. He takes a different form depending on which magical monster possesses him, which gives him a different personality and different abilities. I'd say it's a strong series if you're in the mood for something not too serious.

Kiva is like 555 on overdrive. It's not well-regarded and it rehashes a lot of beats from 555 and Agito because the head writer stopped giving a poo poo. Honestly the best things about this show are its secondary Rider who is a really cool character, and the soundtrack loving rules.

Don't watch Decade.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Don't watch Decade.

I was with you until here at the very end, so here's some words on Decade on why a person might want to give it a try or skip it.

First off, it's a shorter series than most. Only about 30 episodes rather than the normal length of 50. It's a sort of anniversary show that sort of visits the previous nine Rider series (And eventually a couple of older classic series) in these Alternate Reality worlds. Now Decade has two major sins and if you're going to skip it or dislike it, it'll probably be for one of these reasons. The first one, and probably the worst, is that it does a terrible job with all the series that it's supposed to be celebrating. None of the AR worlds are really anything more than vaguely similar to the series they represent with similarly named characters, but the main characters all have these debilitating problems so that Decade can swoop in and fix things. It's really kind of horrible.

The second is that Decade has no plot. Or rather, the plot makes no sense. It sets up the premise well enough to get things rolling, but by the end of the series and the movies you're left with no resolution and a lot of contradictory information. Eventually they even make fun of this, but that doesn't make it any better. But despite these things, Decade has one of the best casts of characters. The main character, the heroine, and the secondary rider all really shine and are absolutely fabulous in their roles. They have great chemistry with each other and when the plot for an episode is mediocre it still feels worth watching. The music, the costumes, the belts, it's all great.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
How are more people not talking about ghost? This is probably the best rider series since W (i didn't watch drive so maybe that was better i dunno)

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Every time I think Isaka can't get more into being evil, he goes "Man, I super love being evil and I need to express that right the hell now". It takes a special kind of rear end in a top hat to introduce yourself to someone like "Oh, you're the kid of that family I murdered" without being prompted.

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I can only add in on shows I've watched, and my opinion doesn't represent the majority, but here goes.

Kuuga and Agito seem to be the most appealing out of the bunch. I suppose I'll give the others a few episodes, but characters not talking to each is too frustrating for my blood.

Potsticker posted:

I was with you until here at the very end, so here's some words on Decade on why a person might want to give it a try or skip it.

Hmmmm. I'm all for goofy nonsense, especially with good characters, but I guess Decade should wait until I see more Kamen Rider in general, just to understand what its going for.

I'm probably getting way too ahead of myself though.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It might be better that you don't get the references in Decade in regards to the AR worlds. Seeing things you already know and like getting mangled is what people didn't like about Decade, but I'd wait for a second opinion on that front whether it's better to go into Decade as an early show to watch versus a later one.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I personally liked Decade a lot. It didn't try to hide what it was, which was Toei jacking itself off over it's insanely popular 40 year-old franchise. He had cool special effects, I liked the secondary Rider, and Tackle was there :colbert:

Also, if it weren't for Decade, we wouldn't have a bunch of quality memes about how Decade is the worst, and that this is Decade's fault.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Even if you don't watch anything else of Faiz, you should watch it's movie Paradise Lost as it's in my opinion the best Rider movie prior to Decade(with God Speed Love for Kabuto in a close second)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Elfgames posted:

How are more people not talking about ghost? This is probably the best rider series since W (i didn't watch drive so maybe that was better i dunno)

Drive is really good. It sorta sags in the middle, but the protagonist is more likable than Tomari.

• Locked thread