Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

is chrisg still east coast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

A.o.D. posted:

That's not really what I said but hey, keep working at it. One day you might have something worth saying.

The saddest post.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

is chrisg still east coast

Yeah, he's back on the east coast.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
imagine being the guy who tries to give Timely Howard, one of the best goon fighting game players who *lives in japan*, the sage advice of "try blocking" to beat Itazan, who also thinks Chris G has bad footsies,

and telling anybody else the things they say have no worth

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

A.o.D. posted:

Typical ChrisG match. Nonexistent footsies, lets people jump at him, relies almost solely on his combo execution to carry a match.

Source your quo-

Oh

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

hrm, chris g won , and often wins, but did he use any "shimmies"?

He used a shimmy shimmy, ya.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Shimmy shimmy cocoa puff, listen to me now

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Saint Freak posted:

He used a shimmy shimmy, ya.

While moving on his left?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Why can't Capcom ask the Skullgirls guys for their netcode?
I remember playing that against Americans across the pond with 175 ping and even then it still had less rollback than what most 5-bar connections in SFV have.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

A.o.D. posted:

That's not really what I said but hey, keep working at it. One day you might have something worth saying.

You're the kid who gets really red in the face and tears up slightly while overcompensating and saying something uncharacteristically tough after getting supremely owned... but the thing is, no one owned you.. you owned yourself

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Typical ChrisG match. Nonexistent footsies, lets people jump at him, relies almost solely on his combo execution to carry a match.

I keep looking for this one in the youtube comments but I can't find it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jack Trades posted:

I remember playing that against Americans across the pond with 175 ping and even then it still had less rollback than what most 5-bar connections in SFV have.

GGPO is basically the best rollback netcode available, but the idea of Japanese companies using something developed by other people if they can avoid it...hahahahahaha.

Also the discussion about that Chris G match is dumb because he was fishing for the corner combo the whole match.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Is cr.HP the go to normal for cancelling into specials for Laura? And is there a reason the trials all use jmp.HK to start combos? It seems like a badass anti-air but jmp.HP looks like the better jump in.

I like Laura's style but it's hard not to go dumb with her elbow and forward->HP->HP->air throw thing.

Edit: Any handy beginner tips for her would be cool really. I'm switching off between her and Mika, and then using the Ryu guide posted last page when the salt is too strong.

Edit2: The tip about people instinctively expecting a 2nd fireball was really helpful. That's the simple kind of mind game I can keep in my head while a match, has a lot of applications and it's really easy to see when someone flips their thinking and STOPS expecting the 2nd.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 4, 2016

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I wouldn't pay too much attention to the combos in the trials. A lot of them aren't practical, or the best use of meter

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah but I don't know poo poo and everytime someone describes which normals to use for a character I'm always surprised about what does what, especially Hard's. I assume that one just has a great hitbox and beats everything in the air, but I don't know.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jack Trades posted:

It's GGPO. But most japanese developers have a strong bias against middleware, though you'd think they'd have gotten over it when they switched to UE4 (which even has a ready-made GGPO version for it).

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

A.o.D. posted:

I'm not trying to dogpile because that seems dumb and bad but what does this post even actually mean? Every player does what you're describing (playing to their perceived strengths) to varying degrees; even if you thought this was 100% true - that ChrisG sucks at footsies and AA - "relies solely on his combo execution to carry a match" is an intensely weird criticism, especially given how this game seems to work w/r/t opening people up for those combos to even land

Also, what the gently caress is a "shimmy"? From what I gather it's literally just "step into throw range, then step back out," which we didn't really need a name for before but now it's a ~thing~ for the fighting game community to spout off about, as if what Street Fighter needs is more arcane jargon

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

dhamster posted:

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the combos in the trials. A lot of them aren't practical, or the best use of meter

double post but whatever, this brings me back to my post about Nash tips - i'm not very inventive when it comes to practicing what is possible, combo-wise, or what is an optimal expenditure of meter, that stuff i tend to just shamelessly copy, but i'm pretty sure Nash has a trial that is stuff -> HP Scythe,VTC,EX Scythe, and that's basically been my go-to online since I started playing Nash

SRK is a wasteland of inane nonsense and information that may be like four months out of date? it's hard to tell

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Is cr.HP the go to normal for cancelling into specials for Laura? And is there a reason the trials all use jmp.HK to start combos? It seems like a badass anti-air but jmp.HP looks like the better jump in.

I like Laura's style but it's hard not to go dumb with her elbow and forward->HP->HP->air throw thing.

Edit: Any handy beginner tips for her would be cool really. I'm switching off between her and Mika, and then using the Ryu guide posted last page when the salt is too strong.
cr.mk will combo into lp elbow, if it hits you're something like +2 so you can do a mp(?)/throw mixup. I don't remember what it is on block but I think it's safe? Maybe.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

guts and bolts posted:

I'm not trying to dogpile because that seems dumb and bad but what does this post even actually mean? Every player does what you're describing (playing to their perceived strengths) to varying degrees; even if you thought this was 100% true - that ChrisG sucks at footsies and AA - "relies solely on his combo execution to carry a match" is an intensely weird criticism, especially given how this game seems to work w/r/t opening people up for those combos to even land

Also, what the gently caress is a "shimmy"? From what I gather it's literally just "step into throw range, then step back out," which we didn't really need a name for before but now it's a ~thing~ for the fighting game community to spout off about, as if what Street Fighter needs is more arcane jargon

The Shimmy Meta

ZWZ
May 6, 2007

Homerun

guts and bolts posted:

A shimmy is basically a fadeaway

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gootecks shimmy (tm)

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Foodahn posted:

cr.mk will combo into lp elbow, if it hits you're something like +2 so you can do a mp(?)/throw mixup. I don't remember what it is on block but I think it's safe? Maybe.

I don't know off the top of my head, but if it's not at least close, I can't see a reason for it to exist. Not that that's ever stopped capcom.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

guts and bolts posted:

Also, what the gently caress is a "shimmy"?

It's from the Japanese 'Shimakaze' which means 'Island Wind' and I think that's self-explanatory

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't know off the top of my head, but if it's not at least close, I can't see a reason for it to exist. Not that that's ever stopped capcom.

lp elbow is -2 on block, you just lose momentum if it doesn't land. You still have some options if its blocked, jab will win more than it should and ex elbow can armor through a lot. For the other questions, cr.mp, cr.hp, st.lp/lk and cr.mk are all fine for cancelling into elbow, cr.hp does the most dmg/best range but is slower so riskier. I don't know her jump normals well but j.hk probably hits farther forward than j.hp, so it has some use for tagging people with max range jumps that are hard to AA. if you still wanna use f.hp there are ways to make it safe but I don't know em.

If you're not already, start replacing command grabs with backthrows. Her backthrow easily allows for another mixup, can loop into itself and can be done right after lp elbow. If someone jumps you can react punish them with hp elbow. You don't even lose that much damage doing it over the command throw, and its faster!

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the newest cross counter with infiltration is hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YPqN6avHFE

Haaaa this episode so good

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Ixiggle posted:

lp elbow is -2 on block, you just lose momentum if it doesn't land. You still have some options if its blocked, jab will win more than it should and ex elbow can armor through a lot. For the other questions, cr.mp, cr.hp, st.lp/lk and cr.mk are all fine for cancelling into elbow, cr.hp does the most dmg/best range but is slower so riskier. I don't know her jump normals well but j.hk probably hits farther forward than j.hp, so it has some use for tagging people with max range jumps that are hard to AA. if you still wanna use f.hp there are ways to make it safe but I don't know em.

If you're not already, start replacing command grabs with backthrows. Her backthrow easily allows for another mixup, can loop into itself and can be done right after lp elbow. If someone jumps you can react punish them with hp elbow. You don't even lose that much damage doing it over the command throw, and its faster!

Thanks! I saw a vid that showed off a lot of the backthrow tech yesterday and it looked cool. How should I start working in her v-skills? I don't see many people talking about her V-Dashing and the only things I've seen about the overhead is that you want to keep it at max range, it's cancelable (or cancelable into?) and it causes a crush counter on people in the air. I would have figured this would be an option after that back throw but it didn't get mentioned. Is there some other overhead for her that's more useful?

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Double Bill posted:

But he did get to play, and did it wrong. It was pretty obvious that there was either a frametrap or throw reset for stun coming

Even not taking into account the throw at the end, that still seems like an absurdly high amount of time to sit there and eat sonic booms > punches.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://twitter.com/GrahamWolfe1/status/727562482106032129

hm

mid-screen tech

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Night Blade posted:

Even not taking into account the throw at the end, that still seems like an absurdly high amount of time to sit there and eat sonic booms > punches.

never watch a marvel 3 game

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Night Blade posted:

Would you have been okay with it if the initial jumping throw punish did all that damage and stun in one hit and he reset into throw afterwards and got the stun that way

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
three months into using the fight stick alpha by madcatz and it looking like I've cracked the bottom ball of the joystick. it's still intact but I thought for sure the buttons would have gone out first.

Still a good beginner's stick for anyone who's looking to getting one but doesn't want to drop 200 bucks on one. I'd say I'm just heavy handed person but I'm thinking the only reason it's cracked like this is because I'm holding down back. I'm not playing a charge fighter.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

zooted heh posted:

three months into using the fight stick alpha by madcatz and it looking like I've cracked the bottom ball of the joystick. it's still intact but I thought for sure the buttons would have gone out first.

Still a good beginner's stick for anyone who's looking to getting one but doesn't want to drop 200 bucks on one. I'd say I'm just heavy handed person but I'm thinking the only reason it's cracked like this is because I'm holding down back. I'm not playing a charge fighter.

What part of it broke exactly? Do you mean the joystick ball itself cracked? Also for what it's worth, it's really easy to replace the stick in that one with a sanwa or seimitsu. The buttons are really annoying to replace however, they are welded on and the wires are so short you essentially have to require everything to get standard buttons in there.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
Yeah the bottom half of joystick ball has cracked. I tired to take a photo but I couldn't get a good look at the crack. I'm definitely going to to try and replace the joystick cuz I've also heard it's easy to replace.

The button on the other hand looks pretty tough to change out unless you know what your doing. but for someone that hasn't touched an arcade cabnet in years the buttons seem to be pretty good.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

Would you have been okay with it if the initial jumping throw punish did all that damage and stun in one hit and he reset into throw afterwards and got the stun that way

I'd rather have short, damaging combos than a 16 second sequence of a guy stringing together sonic booms.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
bring back the meter from samsho 5 that lets you one shot people with heavy attacks if its fully charged from not attacking

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

A.o.D. posted:

DIVING: C
KICKING: C
NOT LOSING: S

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

guts and bolts posted:

Discussion on the Shimmy Meta: Attempts to Flowchart things defensively and offensively

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

A.o.D. posted:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

interrodactyl posted:

Discussion on the Shimmy Meta: Attempts to Flowchart things defensively and offensively

The micro-spacing game is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Night Blade posted:

I'd rather have short, damaging combos than a 16 second sequence of a guy stringing together sonic booms.

Then play ST.

Actually, just play ST regardless.