Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

MrChupon posted:

This seems like a serious problem with our system. Do Jill Stein and Gloria La Riva get intelligence briefings? If not, what is the threshhold? Did Ross Perot get them?

It seems like on one level we hear 'meh political parties are completely private institutions who are accountable to nobody and can literally change their rules and just nominate whoever they want based on a cigar smoke filled room of billionaires', and at the same time they use a shitload of public resources and buildings to conduct official party business. Is the high school that hosted my caucus compensated in any way for it? What if I want to hold the Goon Party Primary there next weekend?

It's one of those charming traditions established by Truman after he created the modern Intelligence Community which has, indeed, become a little weird. Each candidate is offered access by the National Security Adviser soon after the party conventions, with it generally meant for candidates who have at least a chance of becoming president. Typically, the candidates each get copies of the Presidential Daily Briefing, a briefer is on hand to answer follow-up questions (and monitor the classified material) and begin to develop a profile of what the candidate is interested in. A Supplement is then provided based on the candidate's preferences if there isn't anything in the Daily Briefing on those topics already.

...basically the entire situation is informal and done with the voluntary consent of the IC. What they don't want to show Donald Trump or don't think he should know, he won't get.

If you want to know more about it, the CIA has actually published a really great book on the tradition from its founding in 1952 to 2004 which is thus in the public domain. It's hilarious since it's basically a report card on whether or not the candidates in different elections did their daily briefing and paid attention, or if they had to start creating dumbed-down versions that were fast to read to try to get them to read them at all, and the CIA gets a real kick out of setting up field offices in places like Little Rock and getting asked what "CIA" stands for.

EDIT: Ross Perot didn't get them, by the way.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Ben Carson on PBS News Hour right now eagerly sucking off the Donald

Oh man and the animal energy between Trump and Kasich

This election is getting sexy. B..big Donald!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Election day in 2012 was a beautiful time, and this year's election can only be better

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Combed Thunderclap posted:

It's one of those charming traditions established by Truman after he created the modern Intelligence Community which has, indeed, become a little weird. Typically, the candidates each get copies of the Presidential Daily Briefing, a briefer is on hand to answer follow-up questions (and monitor the classified material) and begin to develop a profile of what the candidate is interested in. A Supplement is then provided based on the candidate's preferences if there isn't anything in the Daily Briefing on those topics already.

...basically the entire situation is informal and done with the voluntary consent of the IC. What they don't want to show Donald Trump or don't think he should know, he won't get.

If you want to know more about it, the CIA has actually published a really great book on the tradition from its founding in 1952 to 2004 which is thus in the public domain. It's hilarious since it's basically a report card on whether or not the candidates in different elections did their daily briefing and paid attention, like Bill Clinton, or if they had to start creating dumbed-down versions that were fast to read to try to get them to read them at all, like President H.W. Bush, and the CIA gets a real kick out of setting up field offices in places like Little Rock and getting asked what "CIA" stands for.

impressive, given that Bush was head of the CIA and all

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Ben Carson on PBS News Hour right now eagerly sucking off the Donald

One takeaway: Carson will probably not pull a Cheney.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

One takeaway: Carson will probably not pull a Cheney.

These Hands will shoot you in the face

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Combed Thunderclap posted:

It's one of those charming traditions established by Truman after he created the modern Intelligence Community which has, indeed, become a little weird. Each candidate is offered access by the National Security Adviser soon after the party conventions, with it generally meant for candidates who have at least a chance of becoming president. (Ross Perot didn't get them, for instance.) Typically, the candidates each get copies of the Presidential Daily Briefing, a briefer is on hand to answer follow-up questions (and monitor the classified material) and begin to develop a profile of what the candidate is interested in. A Supplement is then provided based on the candidate's preferences if there isn't anything in the Daily Briefing on those topics already.

If you want to know more about it, the CIA has actually published a really great book on the tradition from its founding in 1952 to 2004 which is thus in the public domain. It's hilarious since it's basically a report card on whether or not the candidates in different elections did their daily briefing and paid attention, like Bill Clinton, or if they had to start creating dumbed-down versions that were fast to read to try to get them to read them at all, like President H.W. Bush, and the CIA gets a real kick out of setting up field offices in places like Little Rock and getting asked what "CIA" stands for.

This is actually a really cool and reasoned response to my bitchy post. I think I'm going to add that to my Kindle. Thanks :)

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Lemming posted:

Election day in 2012 was a beautiful time, and this year's election can only be better

Although we'll probably never see anything as beautiful as "proceed, governor".

Obama was master of the rope-a-dope.

I'll miss him :smith:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

impressive, given that Bush was head of the CIA and all

Fun fact: In his capacity as CIA Director, Bush actually personally briefed Candidate Carter! :eyepop:

And this is actually my misread, I went back to verify and it was Clinton who basically stopped reading the Supplement they provided (the Daily Briefing already covered a lot of the topics that he was interested in). Bush faithfully read the Briefing each day as he had throughout his presidency.

EDIT: Also John B. Anderson, a third party candidate in the 1980 election, did get briefings, but he's the only third-party candidate to do so mentioned in the book. I suspect that his status as a prominent Republican House Rep had something to do with it. Candidates can also specially request briefings begin even before they officially become presidential candidates at the convention, as Carter did, but it's up to the National Security Adviser and CIA Director to approve them.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 5, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Talmonis posted:

Oh no, they would never vote for Trump, or any Republican for that matter. It's that they're so entrenched in ideological purity, that they refuse to vote for Clinton either.

From a couple pages back, but I wanted to mention that if you aren't in a swing state (and I think you said you aren't) then you don't have a leg to stand on here. What in the world is the point of voting for the lesser of two evils if you're in a state where it's already a given which party will win? It's pragmatic to vote for the lesser evil if you're in a swing state (and I would absolutely vote for Hillary if I was), but there's no point in doing so if you aren't.

It's just really ironic to see people advancing the "you aren't being pragmatic if you don't vote for the Democratic nominee in a non-swing state!" argument, because they are actually the ones who are entrenched in ideology purity and reject the idea of anyone voting for a different party, even if it wouldn't have any effect either way in their state. If anything, a vote for a smaller party that more closely aligns with your interests will have more of a concrete effect; while there's zero chance of the party winning, it will at least help demonstrate greater public support for the views of that party's candidate (and maybe help them get more funding in the future).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 5, 2016

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Lemming posted:

Looking forward to this but with a Trump supporter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLoqti0lzAw

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Its rather sad that The Blaze can't look into the abyss that they helped perpetuate and create that led to this.

And by sad, I mean delicious.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think you could effect far more change by getting involved with the party, especially if you can bring a few friends in on it.

If every state where Sanders was strong had five people in each Legislative District start coming to every meeting, they'd be electing themselves into state chair positions before the next election.

But nah, the whole thing is broken and corrupt.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Muslim girls kicked out of half empty Urth Cafe restaurant in California sue for discrimination.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/04/urth-caffe-california-muslim-discrimination-lawsuit

I am really really sad to see the more things change, the more things stay the same :smith:

Is California's laguna beach a secret haven of trump supporters or somthing?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Al-Saqr posted:

Muslim girls kicked out of half empty Urth Cafe restaurant in California sue for discrimination.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/04/urth-caffe-california-muslim-discrimination-lawsuit

I am really really sad to see the more things change, the more things stay the same :smith:

Is California's laguna beach a secret haven of trump supporters or somthing?

I mean, 90% white according to the article.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
hahaha Rachel Maddow is melting down tonight. I feel a little bad for her, but she is also part of the terrible media.

In actual news. Everyone was making GBS threads on rural towns not taking big job opportunities. Have an update on one: http://globegazette.com/news/local/...461b576be8.html

Mason City, Iowa turned down the pork processing plant. In the beginning a lot of the hate for it stemmed from the "wrong people" moving to town. When this was the main concern the project was still moving forward. What put the kibosh on the project? Research was done and it was found out the company has a terrible track record on violating the environmental laws, paying its employees less than advertised, and demanding even more money than initially wanted to subsidize the plant and tax breaks. The city council meeting for the vote on this plant had record attendance.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ha ha I never saw that before, that's great

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Uglycat posted:

That was Us, what shouting 'gently caress Trump' and Dancing in the Streets in South Bend.

Here's what we accomplished yesterday:

1) the Republican Convention will /not/ be a contested convention
2) the Democratic Convention /will/ be a contested convention
3) a vote for /Hillary/ is now a vote for Trump

We got this!
#StillSanders

This is adorable... are you serious? I can't tell on this website sometimes.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Mr Hootington posted:

hahaha Rachel Maddow is melting down tonight. I feel a little bad for her, but she is also part of the terrible media.

In actual news. Everyone was making GBS threads on rural towns not taking big job opportunities. Have an update on one: http://globegazette.com/news/local/...461b576be8.html

Mason City, Iowa turned down the pork processing plant. In the beginning a lot of the hate for it stemmed from the "wrong people" moving to town. When this was the main concern the project was still moving forward. What put the kibosh on the project? Research was done and it was found out the company has a terrible track record on violating the environmental laws, paying its employees less than advertised, and demanding even more money than initially wanted to subsidize the plant and tax breaks. The city council meeting for the vote on this plant had record attendance.

I think people are more making GBS threads on them for that bad initial reasoning than the latter stuff, if the motives for resistance were purely economic that's fine, but when it's openly racist they deserve to be mocked.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can see hillary having to really struggle against her own history in this election.
The Clintons have a ton of political baggage, and with the private email server scandal and the accusations about hillary supressing rape allegations about bill clinton in the 80s, Hillary is going to have just as hard a time as Trump.

There are a lot of people who see hillary and all the political baggage full of unresolved accusations and scandals, and wont vote for her.
Trump has his own issues, but Hillary has the weight of her political history and scandals to bring her down.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah this is why I don't blame communities for being skeptical about these plants. Alot of the se companies are immoral hellholes that will try to just threaten the community with moving if they don't get everything exactly the way they would like,

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Thaddius the Large posted:

I think people are more making GBS threads on them for that bad initial reasoning than the latter stuff, if the motives for resistance were purely economic that's fine, but when it's openly racist they deserve to be mocked.

Oh for sure! Not saying that they shouldn't rightfully be poo poo on for those reasons. Was just saying that this town in the end did it for the correct reasons. They can gently caress right off with the racism and prejudice.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah this is why I don't blame communities for being skeptical about these plants. Alot of the se companies are immoral hellholes that will try to just threaten the community with moving if they don't get everything exactly the way they would like,

It still came down to a 3v3 vote that could have been broken by the mayor if it hadn't been for the price tag attached to this project. The mayor was for the project. It would have passed if they didn't want $125 million to build plus tax breaks for 30 or 40 years.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Hillary Clinton Should Concede to Bernie Sanders Before The FBI Reveals Its Findings

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/clinton-should-concede-to-sanders-before-fbi-reveals-findings_b_9836720.html

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Pharohman777 posted:

There are a lot of people who see hillary and all the political baggage full of unresolved accusations and scandals, and wont vote for her.
Trump has his own issues, but Hillary has the weight of her political history and scandals to bring her down.

I want this to be true because I'd like to see Trump win the presidency, but seriously, he's been in the public eye for as long as Hillary and his past is far, far, more checkered. He's been a complete piece of poo poo for longer than I've been alive. The dirt on Hillary is nothing compared to Trump.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Gail Wynand posted:

Hillary Clinton Should Concede to Bernie Sanders Before The FBI Reveals Its Findings

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/clinton-should-concede-to-sanders-before-fbi-reveals-findings_b_9836720.html

I like the part where they cite a WSJ op-ed as evidence and then refer to themselves in the third person the best. :allears:

H.A. Goodman is a national comedy treasure.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Lemming posted:

These Hands will shoot you in the face

That's called entrepreneurship.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gail Wynand posted:

lol

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Thaddius the Large posted:

small town people being closed-minded and standoffish to outsiders??? i hope they all die !!!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Gail Wynand posted:

Its the Huffington Post.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
The GOP propaganda machine has been running for Hillary for almost as long as a lot of us have been alive. Stop falling over yourselves trying to believe it. You just look stupid.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman Crossing posted:

I want this to be true because I'd like to see Trump win the presidency, but seriously, he's been in the public eye for as long as Hillary and his past is far, far, more checkered. He's been a complete piece of poo poo for longer than I've been alive. The dirt on Hillary is nothing compared to Trump.

Plus there's the fact that the dirt on Hillary is just GOP invented garbage.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Guardian has a big, sad article on America's Trailer Parks and the moneypeople who profit handsomely from them.

TLDR; people living in mobile homes have very little protection from landowners.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

How long until Trump lets some of this poo poo go at a rally or in an interview?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
A potential Cruz convention delegate says:

quote:

OH JESUS gently caress THIS ELECTION.

I...don't even know how to type this because if this takes place it will be such a nervous-making clownshow.

We have been reminded that delegates bound to vote for Trump are not bound (though traditionally do) to vote for Trump's vice-presidential pick, and can vote him down "until Trump chooses a true conservative."

So it is an entirely serious possibility that Trump will be the nominee, and the Cruz folks will choose the veep, who I can't imagine being Cruz, but can't imagine anything not resulting in insanity either.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

fknlo posted:

How long until Trump lets some of this poo poo go at a rally or in an interview?

Which is why I strongly suspect the CIA will never give him anything that would actually impact lives if he read it out loud.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Pharohman777 posted:

I can see hillary having to really struggle against her own history in this election.
The Clintons have a ton of political baggage, and with the private email server scandal and the accusations about hillary supressing rape allegations about bill clinton in the 80s, Hillary is going to have just as hard a time as Trump.

hahaha JFC what is wrong with you?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Unless Trump tries to nominate someone with the last name "Trump" I'm pretty sure Priebus will tell the delegates to just smile and nod.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
How did Obama murder Bob Bennett?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Forget James O'Queefe and David Daleiden, I can't wait for Matt Walsh to stroke out after the coronation.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 6, 2016

• Locked thread