Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I came to this thread almost every night last year and was never disappointed.

St Elmo is an event of its own, you have to go and eat like a god for one night no matter how much you want to budget. Went to the Indian resturant when it was completely empty one evening and had another great meal in and out for probably as much or even less than what the trucks gouge you for. Stopped off at some burnt cheese burger bar on another night that fit the bill for a greasy spoon. I keep hearing about Loughmillers and plan to give that a try this year.

Also have never been able to make it into the Ram on account of it always being packed. Is it worth trying to get in, or is it just a basic chain style resturant?

As for a Newby guide, always bring a comfortable bag and pack it with snacks. Concession food is garbage and very overpriced. Trucks are good and convenient, but are packed several hours of the day and get pricey quick. My friends and I usually go on our own during the day, and plan a real dinner each night.

Most important, for me at least, is jam it all in. I'm usually pulling off 14+ hour days every day. There's so much to do in four days, slam all the caffeine you can handle and go HAAM at Gencon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Rad Valtar posted:

I need a good survival guide for GenCon, this is me and my friends first year going.

This thread is honestly a really good survival guide, just go back and read through it. Last year was my second Gen Con and my first year reading through this thread before going. This thread improved my experience 100% (and I'm not even counting FoodChat, since I go with a buddy who lives in Indy).

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Is it worth it to pack my car with games to take and then choose a few to take each day? Or is it too much hassle?

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Are you staying within walking distance of the Convention Center?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Rad Valtar posted:

Is it worth it to pack my car with games to take and then choose a few to take each day? Or is it too much hassle?

It depends on if you can count on close parking or not, or what your situation is going to be. Nothing sucks more than being stuck carrying around some really heavy games with nowhere to stash them in between uses (like a close-by car or hotel room). It also depends on what you're looking to get out of it, I think. My buddy and I usually go with the purpose of trying out new games and so we only bring one or two games along with us to play with each other or to teach people who want to learn.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Rad Valtar posted:

My friends pack games every year but we never end up playing what we bring.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'm about a mile walking distance from the convention center and I would like to play some games with goons and whoever but I think I'm more excited to see new games and see the booths. It seems like a lot for 4 days so my head is spinning trying to figure out what to do.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 5, 2016

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I've never seen the point in bringing your own games in unless you plan on meeting people for it. People will generally setup new games they just bought or you can hit the library and chances are they have it so you don't need to carry it around.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Rad Valtar posted:

As someone who goes to plenty of boardgame meetups and gatherings and some smaller cons, only bring what you absolutely want 100% to play more than anything else. If its something that takes more than an hour to teach and play, you should probably leave it in your room/car and make plans to play it, only carry around small games or stuff you really want to get on the table. Even then you should only carry one thing imo.

I'm a first time gencon person, but Deviant has sold me on coming based on a few stories on how much fun he was having, including one where his friend thought he was dead because he was having so much fun he couldn't take two minutes to text them. So you'll probably be alright.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Rad Valtar posted:

I need a good survival guide for GenCon, this is me and my friends first year going.

Install GroupMe the week before. Bring extra usb power bricks so your phone doesn't die in 5 hours. Seriously.

Want some poo poo that is limited? Goons got you. Looking for grub? Goons got you. Bored and want to play some games? Goons got you. Enjoy booze and boardgames? Goons got you.

Install GroupMe. Goons got you.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Backno posted:

So my local list of places to grab food at while avoiding the masses:

Yats - New Orleans style creole. A bit of a hike, but if you are willing to go to Mass Ave. area well worth the trip. Cheap as well.

Loughmiller's Pub - My go to place when I want lunch and a beer without the insane waits of places like the The RAM or Scotty's. Veterans of the thread will know I mention this place every year and it's my favorite "secret" place during the con.

Tomlinson Tap Room - Located in the Historic City Market it's an awesome spot to grab some Indiana beer. Lots of space and tables so games are easy to do. Normally one or 2 booths will stay open to provide food, but there are other places nearby to grab food.

Barcelona Tapas - Has already been mentioned, but wanted to add my agreement.

Mass Ave. Pub - Looks like a little shithole bar, good food, good prices. We have done a couple local Goon meetups here.

I am sure djfooboo (I miss your face) will be able to toss a few more things that I missed.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

A notable change to this list the the Tomlinson Tap Room closed super early during the con last year. There are a couple of newer places that I want to check out as well.

saint gerald posted:

I really want this year to be the year I make it to Fogo de Chao. Stupid vegan friends.

Fogo, while good, is stupid expensive for what you get. If you come into town early (hint hint) I will take you to a similar place that is much more reasonable price wise. The wife might even make you some snacks that your wife can't steal ;-*

Backno fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 5, 2016

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Slandible posted:

I came to this thread almost every night last year and was never disappointed.

St Elmo is an event of its own, you have to go and eat like a god for one night no matter how much you want to budget. Went to the Indian resturant when it was completely empty one evening and had another great meal in and out for probably as much or even less than what the trucks gouge you for. Stopped off at some burnt cheese burger bar on another night that fit the bill for a greasy spoon. I keep hearing about Loughmillers and plan to give that a try this year.

Also have never been able to make it into the Ram on account of it always being packed. Is it worth trying to get in, or is it just a basic chain style resturant?

As for a Newby guide, always bring a comfortable bag and pack it with snacks. Concession food is garbage and very overpriced. Trucks are good and convenient, but are packed several hours of the day and get pricey quick. My friends and I usually go on our own during the day, and plan a real dinner each night.

Most important, for me at least, is jam it all in. I'm usually pulling off 14+ hour days every day. There's so much to do in four days, slam all the caffeine you can handle and go HAAM at Gencon.

The ram is basic brewery restaurant food - i live in WI so brewery restaurants are a dime a dozen here. It's not terrible by any means but it isn't a particular standout. If you're gonna go, go on off dining hours. It really is busy as hell most of the time.

Sigma-X posted:

Trying to get a group of like 6 people, one of whom doesn't shower, and one of whom only drinks mountain dew, means it will be difficult to get those 6 people to all agree to be seen and order in a place where a meal starts at like $30 when you can go to Noodles & Co and eat for like $8.

I'm glad i go on vacation for dining experiences as much as I do the event. I try to stay away from chain places unless i really do need the convenience.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Backno posted:

Fogo, while good, is stupid expensive for what you get. If you come into town early (hint hint) I will take you to a similar place that is much more reasonable price wise. The wife might even make you some snacks that your wife can't steal ;-*

If you sign up for Fogo's email club they do send coupons. Perhaps you might even tell them your birthday is in late July.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I just got accepted to DM at Origins with a free 1/4 hotel room. Eager to compare the two cons, and if anyone has anything they want me to find out while there about Origins since the internet has next to nothing on the convention let me know and I will see what I can do.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Backno posted:

Don't worry, I will get you to a Yats when you get here.

I will walk through broken glass to get to a Yats. In fact I'm just thinking of it as YatsCon this year.

Backno posted:

Ah, if only I could...between work and my wife's birthday on 8/3 it is a struggle to find the time to go at all. That said, we'll be arriving on the Wednesday, although that night is usually given over to our big reunion dinner. Previously that has been at Weber, but I think I have finally convinced the rest of the group what a terrible idea that is (overpriced, sub-par food, noisy/antisocial) so I am not sure if/where we will be eating that night. Were it my decision we would get pizza in the room and then head to the Colts for trivia and associated goonery.

Also, I will gratefully accept any and all snacks made by your good lady wife. Or indeed yourself. I'm looking forward to hanging out again this year.

fordan posted:

If you sign up for Fogo's email club they do send coupons. Perhaps you might even tell them your birthday is in late July.

As luck would have it, my birthday is in late July...

Backno, did First Watch close? It seems to be both there and not-there on Google Street View depending on exactly where you "stand". If it is still there it makes an excellent and reasonable breakfast if you're in the mood for something a little more interesting than hotel fare.

I also like Punch Burger. It's a bit of a hike but it has the substantial advantage of being right next to a first-class liquor store.

On the subject of bringing games, I tend to carry a messenger bag packed with a few small, light, easy-to-teach games. Hanabi, Resistance, Seventh Hero, Dixit (fits fine in a ziplock), Perudo you can usually mostly improvise, Cypher (or indeed any of AEG's microgames) and at Gen Con I am never without Toc Toc Woodman, because it is the perfect game when everyone is too drunk or tired to learn anything new, but not quite tired or drunk enough to quit.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Backno posted:

A notable change to this list the the Tomlinson Tap Room closed super early during the con last year. There are a couple of newer places that I want to check out as well.

Don't forget Fogo serves lunch at almost half price. Also, what is this other churrascaria? The one in Noblesville? Havent been yet as anything above 86th is Mordor.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Carteret posted:

Install GroupMe the week before. Bring extra usb power bricks so your phone doesn't die in 5 hours. Seriously.

Want some poo poo that is limited? Goons got you. Looking for grub? Goons got you. Bored and want to play some games? Goons got you. Enjoy booze and boardgames? Goons got you.

Install GroupMe. Goons got you.

This man speaks the truth. Listen to this man.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
The Ram, Rock Bottom, and Scottys are all pretty much the same. I usually hit Scottys for waffle fries and a quick burg. Taste of the Caribbean (truck) has some dank chicken nachos and cola champagne. I live in Indy tho, so I try to head out to Jockamos or Twenty Tap or Black Acre for drinks and dinner on the way out each night.

For you cigar smokers, there is always Nicky Blaines to chill at, but this year the Hardwickes cigar store has closed down, so bring you own or prepare to pay $20 a pop for Fuentes.

8one6
May 20, 2012

At this point for my friends and I the Spice Box Indian food truck is more of a tradition than Scotty's or the Ram.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

saint gerald posted:

Backno, did First Watch close? It seems to be both there and not-there on Google Street View depending on exactly where you "stand". If it is still there it makes an excellent and reasonable breakfast if you're in the mood for something a little more interesting than hotel fare.

I am pretty sure it's still open, but I have found an even better breakfast place. Ego Trip and I hit it up last year before I took him to the airport and were blown away. I don't think I have ever had a more on point waiter. The place was slammed and he was just on top of everything. The food was amazing as well

djfooboo posted:

Don't forget Fogo serves lunch at almost half price. Also, what is this other churrascaria? The one in Noblesville? Havent been yet as anything above 86th is Mordor.

Yep Tucano's up in Nobelsville. Since I live right by 69 it's an easy trip.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Cant wait for a drunken AGoT Melee game

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

TheHoosier posted:

Cant wait for a drunken AGoT Melee game

I'm loving IN

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
What was the name of that movie about the people who sleep in halls/cars/whatever at GenCon?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Deathlove posted:

What was the name of that movie about the people who sleep in halls/cars/whatever at GenCon?

Titicut Follies, I think

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Fellis posted:

Titicut Follies, I think

I think you are looking for Hobocon, unless there are two movies on similar subjects at Gen Con?

http://cravengames.com/reviews/hobocon-the-first-documentary-ever-filmed-at-gen-con.html

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

I think you are looking for Hobocon, unless there are two movies on similar subjects at Gen Con?

http://cravengames.com/reviews/hobocon-the-first-documentary-ever-filmed-at-gen-con.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titicut_Follies

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
Exhibit hall map is up: http://www.gencon.com/exhibit_hall_map

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
drat, that's a lotta vendors!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Am I reading this correctly and they took over the Magic the Gathering / Other Card Games area to expand the vendor area?

That's fuckin' sweet.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

True Dungeon and some other stuff was moved to the stadium, so the vendor hall took over that space.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Someone in groupme said events were getting published tomorrow? When is the pre-reg?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Fellis posted:

Someone in groupme said events were getting published tomorrow? When is the pre-reg?

Are we going to coordinate group selection here or in another place?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Fellis posted:

I thought it was the 15th.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Male Man posted:

I thought it was the 15th.

That is what i heard as well, just checking in

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
The event list is published tomorrow, you can't sign up till the 15th.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Event list is going up right now. My badass event I expect to see you all at is up! - https://www.gencon.com/events/86959

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
What's the site that lets you pull down an excel spreadsheet of the events (once they're up)?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
The high programmer, though I doubt it will be up at exactly the same time since he does it all independently of Gen Con.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

If you're interested in starting a podcast my friends and I are running our Starting a Podcast & Sticking With it seminar again this year.

• Locked thread