Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

McGavin posted:

CanPol Megathread: Flames 1, Oilers 0

It's... Beautiful...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
are mods the only one who can change thread titles or can op's do it too?

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

cause we either need this title or a new thread with this title

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

McGavin posted:

CanPol has peaked, nothing will ever be this good.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

McGavin posted:

You were put on this planet to make this post.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
today is a really good day for this thread

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

le mot juste

ah sardonic comedy in the face of disaster, the life blood of SA

Truly a place for those of us who can find humour at our mother's funeral.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

McGavin posted:

holy poo poo

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I have always had a conflicted relationship with my fellow Albertans but I never thought it would extend to being confused about whether to feel bad or not about people taking time off from fleeing an unstoppable fire that threatens their home in order to send angry tweets to provincial politicians asking them why the fire isn't instantly out.

It's like the whole province has become the uncomfortable conversations I have at Thanksgiving dinner.

But hey, Earl's has Albertan beef again! Hashtag energy families.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 5, 2016

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

McGavin posted:

yikes

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Ezra will gladly take your money to give to the Red Cross, and then take all the credit

http://www.therebel.media/the_rebel_is_raising_100_000_to_help_rebuild_fort_mcmurray

$100,000, gonna rebuild the whole city guys

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Haha just saw a big rant about why Notley isn't there personally rubbing the blistered feet of the evacuees.

This loving province.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Rob Ford is the best because he personally fixes pot holes.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

cowofwar posted:

Rob Ford is the best because he personally fixes pot holes.

good news,
https://twitter.com/reporterdonpeat/status/727967665029931008

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
He doesn't need to campaign, FORD NATION

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

yussss thank you mods

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

So is Doug Ford going to run in the school trustee by election? Are we forever going to be stuck in an eternal Ford shell game?

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

yussss thank you mods

we even got a new thread tag :haw:

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

McGavin posted:

sweet jesus this is beautiful

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
ruh roh

https://twitter.com/CBCNews/status/728039446566871040

And to bring this back to politics, I don't think this fire sinks Notley's re-election any more than it already was. Evacuating 80K people with two fatalities (so far) from a city with one highway as the exit is a pretty impressive logistical feat. And the kind of people blaming the government for the fires are... not likely NDP voters.

The test will come with how the government manages the reconstruction of Ft. McMurray over the next three years. If it's pulled off competently, and if the right wing is still divided in two parties, they might squeak one out.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McGavin posted:

:five:

Post of the year.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

So is Doug Ford going to run in the school trustee by election? Are we forever going to be stuck in an eternal Ford shell game?

CPC leader :getin:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

McGavin holy poo poo that thread title is amazing.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Was lookin' pretty hairy earlier:

But it seems whatever that structure fire on the outskirts was is done now:

Probably not that huge a deal if other structures and equipment at the airport were lost I'd imagine. The runway will still be there after the fires pass and the military could take over radar / air traffic control for whatever emergency flights are needed for the time being.

Forest fires suck but they do make really pretty sunsets.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 5, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Out of the ashes of Fort McMurray comes first, sorrow. Then, ANGER.
Wild Rose Supporter: "The only good government is a Conservative government!"
In Ottawa, the Federal Government convenes.
Trudeau: "We must meet the threat with our valour, our blood, indeed with our very lives, to ensure that Canadian civilization, not Albertan, dominates this country now and always!"

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Albino Squirrel posted:

The test will come with how the government manages the reconstruction of Ft. McMurray over the next three years. If it's pulled off competently, and if the right wing is still divided in two parties, they might squeak one out.

Three parties now. Starting to make the left in Alberta look positively united.

Would not surprise me if a lot of the core Fort Mac conservative vote never returns to the province either. A lot of people I talk to do not have long term plans or roots to AB beyond getting paid, whether they're from Ontario or the Maritimes.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Count Roland posted:

McGavin holy poo poo that thread title is amazing.

:tipshat:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
http://globalnews.ca/news/2681326/former-alberta-ndp-candidate-criticized-for-calling-fort-mcmurray-fire-karmic/

quote:

Moffatt, who ran as a provincial NDP candidate in Lethbridge-East, said his comments were taken out of context.

“That wasn’t my intent when I said karmic, I was thinking of a bigger type of spiritual event, sort of a planet-wide karma, not an individual blame of people,” he explained.

The Dippers aren't above taking potshots on this one. Climate change, boosh.

I don't get the people who are yelling that a State of Emergency wasn't called sooner. What exactly would have changed had it been called earlier? It's not like the fire was going to slow down, and that 88000 person evacuation was handled on the municipal level, not the provincial or federal. As far as logistics are concerned, that was a goddamned amazing feat to accomplish with only two fatalities.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 5, 2016

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

A guy who ran once a decade ago and got like 5% of the vote.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

:gonk:

quote:

OTTAWA — Green Party Leader Elizabeth May is calling for all the top senior public servants to be removed from their current jobs because, she says, they are tainted from the Harper years and resisting change.

"It's awkward as a person in politics, you don't want to single out public servants," May said. "But it can't escape note that the deputy minister for trade negotiated the Trans-Pacific Partnership, the deputy minister at Environment Canada was Harper's lead negotiator at Copenhagen blocking climate action…

"The deputy ministers advising [Public Safety Minister] Ralph Goodale were okay with C-51, so was the deputy minister at the department of justice," May added.

It's not about the public service being partisan, May told reporters Wednesday during a press conference highlighting Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's six months in office.

"But it's clear that the top level of the public service is contaminated by their role in the last 10 years."

"In my opinion, right now, there is a level of resistance against change," May said, pointing to examples of a press release and advice from bureaucrats at the department of international trade and the Canada Revenue Agency. "There is, to put it mildly, inertia in the system."
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/05/04/elizabeth-may-public-servants-harper_n_9841452.html?ncid=tweetlnkcahpmg00000002

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ikantski posted:

A guy who ran once a decade ago and got like 5% of the vote.

For some reason if the left does something bad its remembered until the heat death of the universe. If the right does something bad its almost expected or even accepted.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Arcsquad12 posted:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2681326/former-alberta-ndp-candidate-criticized-for-calling-fort-mcmurray-fire-karmic/

The Dippers aren't above taking potshots on this one. Climate change, boosh.

I don't get the people who are yelling that a State of Emergency wasn't called sooner. What exactly would have changed had it been called earlier? It's not like the fire was going to slow down, and that 88000 person evacuation was handled on the municipal level, not the provincial or federal. As far as logistics are concerned, that was a goddamned amazing feat to accomplish with only two fatalities.

And in a traffic accident, no less. Typical Fort Mac. The highways turn out to be deadlier than a fire that burns down the whole loving city.

Anyway, I'm starting to think that some people believe that the declaration of a State of Emergency is some sort of magical talisman that will unlock new and exciting powers for the province to do poo poo that it wasn't doing before. This is dubious at best.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Another classic Liz May deflating-balloon speech. We need to DO SOMETHING to SOMEONE who? specific claims? fire people? that's a little strong. well I dunno just shuffle them around.

Sorta like this morning when she recanted her position on global warming causing forest fires in an email blast to journalists a few hours later.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 5, 2016

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Edmonton Journal is reporting that now Anzac (the relocation center to the south of Fort McMurray) is being evacuated because the fire has moved to the south.. The first nations reserve at Gregoire Lake is also being evacuated.

If I remember correctly, there are a surprising amount of work camps to the south of Fort McMurray in the Anzac region. Hope those people can be accommodated in Edmonton.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

the scale of this is pretty staggering

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost

Furnaceface posted:

For some reason if the left does something bad its remembered until the heat death of the universe. If the right does something bad its almost expected or even accepted.

I think it is time we had a frank and serious discussion about AdScam.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011

Starsfan posted:

Edmonton Journal is reporting that now Anzac (the relocation center to the south of Fort McMurray) is being evacuated because the fire has moved to the south.. The first nations reserve at Gregoire Lake is also being evacuated.

If I remember correctly, there are a surprising amount of work camps to the south of Fort McMurray in the Anzac region. Hope those people can be accommodated in Edmonton.

There is an entire oil sands SAGD and Upgrader facility only a few kilometers from Anzac, Nexen Long Lake. I work there. Maybe not for much longer now...

I picked a fantastic couple of weeks to take a vacation at least.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

I think she might have a point. HarperCo did make moves to increase the power of the PMO through the appointment of DMs who were Harper's creatures instead of the Minister responsible's.

Once you remove "must be capable of sucking the chrome from a trailer hitch" requirement from the job description there's lots of talent available. Let the purge begin. :commissar:

Don't expect it to remove inertia though. That's not how public or private sector bureaucracies work.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

she is shockingly dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If Germany couldn't get rid of all the Nazis in the public service after WW2 what makes you think you can just toss out everyone who worked in the past 9 years