Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I cant even tell what I'm looking at, did you make all those from scans and poo poo? Did you lose parts over time and everything got so tattered that you rebuilt them with cereal boxes? What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

silvergoose posted:

I thought it was at least x ops? Have I had the complete wrong direction of that the whole time?

Lone Gunman is a 1.

edit: yeah it is, so no, I can't space it.

Really, if you get stuck with Lone Gunman in your hand you need to find some way to deal with it safely. Might have had to bite the bullet and play it as your headline to (almost) ensure you'd have a DEFCON level to burn.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

SilverMike posted:

Really, if you get stuck with Lone Gunman in your hand you need to find some way to deal with it safely. Might have had to bite the bullet and play it as your headline to (almost) ensure you'd have a DEFCON level to burn.

Yep. Too late. Well, I have cuban missile crisis, so I guess I'll just try to realign him out of cuba for the rest of the turn and maybe he won't notice? Or maybe missile envy will give me something that just discards a card. I dunno.

Looking it up, yeah, looks like I should have headlined it, guess now I know. I think I want the new version of ames, whatever it is, which apparently mitigates this problem.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dirk the Average posted:

He made it himself so it's free! :downs:

The best weight:price ratio.

:D
This guys knows whats up. Nothing beats a price to weight ratio of infinity!

SynthOrange posted:

I cant even tell what I'm looking at, did you make all those from scans and poo poo? Did you lose parts over time and everything got so tattered that you rebuilt them with cereal boxes? What the gently caress

I made the entire thing from scratch. I am a boardgame pirate! :ohdear: I got the scans from high quality picture off of BoardGame Geek.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 5, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rutibex posted:

I used a couple kinds boxes. I cannibalized an old Stratego set for Tai Shogi, and I used the pieces of an old Risk set as the Strength/Craft counters for this Talisman set. I had the old boxes lying around so I used them as the backing for the Talisman Boards (and one cereal box, I think?). All of the cards are just magic cards with slips of paper in them, and the rule book is in one of those folders kids use for school reports:

Holy loving poo poo I thought you were trolling

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

StashAugustine posted:

Holy loving poo poo I thought you were trolling

It doesn't matter whether you agree or disagree with Rutibex. He has never shown himself to be anything but completely genuine.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Last week with a group of people, we played Seasons and I drafted a pile of VP tax&drain effects, locking others down a lot. Yesterday, same group brought Millennium Blades, and I ended up randomly getting Dexx Aplenty & Chateau Helbane, so I wound up making a deck that revolved around flipping tons of everyones cards face-down, accessories that helped with that (One Table Flipper, and one that let me use a double, so I ran 2x "flip leftmost card on everyone's tableau, gain points equal to 2x the highest cost flipped), and scoring mass points off my two boxes (one of which gave 8 points per face-down card I controlled).

I think I have become Boardgame Satan to them :ohdear:

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 5, 2016

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Doesn't Cuban Missile Crisis change the DEFCON rules? As in, the player who performs the coup loses, even if it wasn't their action round? Of course, since he knows about Lone Gunman your opponent will probably just leave Cuba, but still...

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Krazyface posted:

Doesn't Cuban Missile Crisis change the DEFCON rules? As in, the player who performs the coup loses, even if it wasn't their action round? Of course, since he knows about Lone Gunman your opponent will probably just leave Cuba, but still...

They can remove the influence from Cuba at 'instant speed' so if they have 2 in Cuba your only option is Hail Mary realignments

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rutibex posted:

I made the entire thing from scratch. I am a boardgame pirate! :ohdear: I got the scans from high quality picture off of BoardGame Geek.

Mooooooooods! :filez:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

StashAugustine posted:

They can remove the influence from Cuba at 'instant speed' so if they have 2 in Cuba your only option is Hail Mary realignments

Oh, right. I read that post but didn't catch the implied use of CMC.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

silvergoose posted:

Yep. Too late. Well, I have cuban missile crisis, so I guess I'll just try to realign him out of cuba for the rest of the turn and maybe he won't notice? Or maybe missile envy will give me something that just discards a card. I dunno.

Looking it up, yeah, looks like I should have headlined it, guess now I know. I think I want the new version of ames, whatever it is, which apparently mitigates this problem.

AAR is the new version, Aldrich Ames was originally a 4 ops event reading "US player must display his/her hand. USSR player then orders the US player’s cards. US player must play hand in that order. US player may not play The China Card for the rest of this turn."

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

silvergoose posted:

This is also why Grain Sales to Soviets can be devastating (also Terrorism and any other discard cards), it can stick them with a must-play DEFCON suicide card in exactly the same way. Has anyone here tried playing with the DEFCON 1 rule working the intuitive way that most people assume it does (person who does the thing that causes DEFCON 1 loses)? I realize they didn't make the rule that way because it would be difficult to write in such a way to cover all the cases, but it seems like it would improve the game and I can't think of anything it would seriously break off the top of my head(side benefit: Olympics might actually get played for the event ever).

Lone Gunman is one of my pet peeve cards though (see also: Quagmire/Bear Trap) because there's just no options (CIA created is not as bad because it usually happens early enough that there might not be a coupable battleground, and the Soviets can almost always just AR1 it if they have to) which goes contrary to what makes the game so good - there's almost always a choice you can make, even if all the choices are bad. There are ways to get around Lone Gunman, but they all involve other cards - if you're unlucky it's a 1 op card with the text "The Soviet Player wins the game," which leaves you with no choices and the outcome of the game entirely up to the randomness of whether you can avoid being forced to play it. Hell, if it were even a 2 ops card I wouldn't care because that brings the space option into it, and it's your own fault if you went too far on the space track to dump it, but at one ops it's just badly designed.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure the rule is explicitly designed to do what it does. It's not that it would be difficult to explain the reverse, it's because managing potential DEFCON suicide cards is a big part of the strategy and a huge part of conveying the theme of nuclear brinksmanship, I can't imagine removing it would make the game better

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Archenteron posted:

Last week with a group of people, we played Seasons and I drafted a pile of VP tax&drain effects, locking others down a lot. Yesterday, same group brought Millennium Blades, and I ended up randomly getting Dexx Aplenty & Chateau Helbane, so I wound up making a deck that revolved around flipping tons of everyones cards face-down, accessories that helped with that (One Table Flipper, and one that let me use a double, so I ran 2x "flip leftmost card on everyone's tableau, gain points equal to 2x the highest cost flipped), and scoring mass points off my two boxes (one of which gave 8 points per face-down card I controlled).

I think I have become Boardgame Satan to them :ohdear:

I tried this strategy in Millennium Blades, but never got enough cards to flip opponent's cards, and self flipping is never worth the points vs. just keeping your poo poo. It doesn't help that everyone kept their deck protectors the entire game...

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

jmzero posted:

"Come back to the arcade, son!"

"Oh sorry dad but, uh, it looks like you're already playing two games of ZENDO at the same time. You're out of games!".

"Ho ho ho so I am! But you're not out of games, son, just unfurl your chess bandana!"

This killed me.

I have a stack students' assignments covered in beer and spit and tears now. Thanks.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Rutibex, you are my second favourite poster, don't let anybody keep you down.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

GrandpaPants posted:

I tried this strategy in Millennium Blades, but never got enough cards to flip opponent's cards, and self flipping is never worth the points vs. just keeping your poo poo. It doesn't help that everyone kept their deck protectors the entire game...

During the second tournament, I think I played: everyone flips a card; bonus when flipped; if he flips on my turn, flip an adjacent for bonus points; bonus when flipped and more if it's on my turn; second everyone flips a card (flipping my first bonus guy); shadow egg cloning the everyone flips a card guy (flipping the chain flip guy who flipped my other bonus when flipped guy).

You can't deck protect that much. My face down bonus deck box gave me 32 bonus, my second deck box gave me 25 for not playing my most expensive card, and the second and third everyone flips cards gave me 12-14 each from hitting opponents' expensive cards. I ended that one with 190+ points and all my opponents fuming that the cards I flipped down of theirs screwed them out of 90 points. :twisted:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Rutibex, go pirate Millenium Blades.

Also Fields of Fire.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ayn Randi posted:

I'm pretty sure the rule is explicitly designed to do what it does. It's not that it would be difficult to explain the reverse, it's because managing potential DEFCON suicide cards is a big part of the strategy and a huge part of conveying the theme of nuclear brinksmanship, I can't imagine removing it would make the game better

Managing and "you drew lone gunman, he has AAR, you lose" feels...different. Well, now I know, I guess, it's just depressing to get to turn 9 knowing not to play the thing but not knowing that there's a way I can lose literally just by drawing it.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Hello thread. You are constantly testing my impulse purchases. But luckily my friend knows I like replayability and occasionally loving over people and has generously gifted me Guillotine and Tragedy Looper.

It'll be a while before I can play them and I don't like watching plays before I have played so am I gonna be happy here? My gut says yes.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Rutibex's masterpiece should be in the OP.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Sleekly posted:

Hello thread. You are constantly testing my impulse purchases. But luckily my friend knows I like replayability and occasionally loving over people and has generously gifted me Guillotine and Tragedy Looper.

It'll be a while before I can play them and I don't like watching plays before I have played so am I gonna be happy here? My gut says yes.

Guillotine is pretty meh, but tragedy looper is good and different.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Sleekly posted:

Hello thread. You are constantly testing my impulse purchases. But luckily my friend knows I like replayability

Guillotine is decent enough but can wear out its welcome, I've had some groups just be super obsessed with it. Doesn't seem great for replayability.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Are you loving kidding me Rutibex?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Sleekly posted:

I played Guillotine once and I have no desire to play it again. Inoffensive, but also unremarkable.

Tragedy Looper is great though, absolutely fantastic, not sure how it fits the description of replayability, since it comes with 10 scenarios that are only partially replayable (once you play the scenario as either side, you can then after that only replay the scenario as the Mastermind). I mean it has great guidelines for making more scenarios, and it's a cool as gently caress game that is well worth it even if you only end up playing it ten times, but I'd never try to sell it to someone on its "replayability" specifically as a highlight.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I think Guillotine will be fun to play with my kids. And maybe drunk with my friends. Tragedy Looper looks super cool on opening it up. Both the mastermind and protagonist roles look super fun. Can't wait to get it going.

Edit: how robust is the scene creation aspect? I've seen that you can download pre mades etc or upload yours

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 5, 2016

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

I wanna see Rutibex's homemade Campaign for North Africa map & counters

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

COOL CORN posted:

Some guy on Facebook is going through his divorce so he's selling his Talisman collection (base + 12 expansions :stare: ) for $325 to pay for the lawyer haha

(Rutibex is it you?)

Can we pool in and buy this for Rutibex?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Foehammer posted:

I wanna see Rutibex's homemade Campaign for North Africa map & counters

TBH I'm the one guilty of that, although my home made version is digital

(gently caress remaking the map, I've given up on that part)

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
If you do play Guillotine, go through and find the Callous Guards card, and throw it in the trash. In a game with few decisions as it is, a card that says 'no one gets to do anything except let the line run on autopilot until I say so' is just unforgivably awful. Even the designer says throw it out.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

djfooboo posted:

Can we pool in and buy this for Rutibex?

No, he's made his bed, he has to lie in it.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Tendales posted:

If you do play Guillotine, go through and find the Callous Guards card, and throw it in the trash. In a game with few decisions as it is, a card that says 'no one gets to do anything except let the line run on autopilot until I say so' is just unforgivably awful. Even the designer says throw it out.

Gotcha. Thank you.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

We're going to find out Rutibex hand-made all his Arkham Horror stuff next.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

No, he's made his bed,

Out of Talisman Cards

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
To realize that all your dice, all your chits, all your meeples, all your miniatures, all your cardboard, it was all the same thing. It was all the same dream, a dream that you had inside a locked room, a dream about being a designer. And like a lot of dreams, there's a monster at the end of it.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

i love you man :3:

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Rutibex posted:

:D
This guys knows whats up. Nothing beats a price to weight ratio of infinity!

I seriously kind of want to punch you for doing that, and then having lovely "Dungeon Entrance" spaces on a white piece of notecard created with a loving felt marker.

Like, you went through all of that trouble printing off scans, etc., and you then just decided to do stick figure drawings for part of it?

Texibus
May 18, 2008
You just don't understand art, loving philistine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm sad you killed a perfectly serviceable Stratego for that. Was it worth it, Rutibex? WAS IT WORTH IT?