Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Solvent posted:

Oh yeah. It's just amazing now that it's completely healed. Seriously amazing. If you're in your late twenties, early thirties, get some kind of laser correction done. Seemed the best age to do it at since there is some kinda change that happens in your eyes in your earlier 20's, Ef anybody knows how all that works, I'd love it if you could explain that to me.

There's no particular change in your eyes in that age. Actually, no change is what they're looking for - the recommendation is having a stable prescription (and be done with any pubertal/young-adult growth spurts) for two years before getting scoped out for laser surgery. So that generally means mid-20s is the earliest most doctors will look at laser eye correction.

The reason for that is simple - if, six months down the track, your eyes decide it's time for your myopia to get a couple of diopters worse , then you're kinda screwed. If you're lucky you'll be able to get a touch-up correction, if you're unlucky you'll need glasses again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dunno if anyone is still reading this thread, but I went to the eye doctor today since I was told like six months ago that my eyes were degrading and Lasik wasn't a possibility until they had stabilized. I'm 32.

Well the doctor told me they had stabilized enough for me to get the surgery, but due to my astigmatism (I have like -4.50/-3.75), being glasses free is not a certainty.

My eyesight is bad enough that I can get some of the cost covered, so it wouldn't be a massive financial drain, but would it be worth going through if I'm not sure it'll actually do the job? I figure it's good to have better eyes regardless, but I don't know...

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

Dunno if anyone is still reading this thread, but I went to the eye doctor today since I was told like six months ago that my eyes were degrading and Lasik wasn't a possibility until they had stabilized. I'm 32.

Well the doctor told me they had stabilized enough for me to get the surgery, but due to my astigmatism (I have like -4.50/-3.75), being glasses free is not a certainty.

My eyesight is bad enough that I can get some of the cost covered, so it wouldn't be a massive financial drain, but ...would it be worth going through if I'm not sure it'll actually do the job? I figure it's good to have better eyes regardless, but I don't know...

Your old enough that your eyes should be stabilized for the most part (at least the most they can be expected to). At that -3 to -5 range (or worse) it's possible a second surgery would be needed later to correct the eyes further (within a year or two after) to get them in that 20/20, 20/15 range.

Nobody can give you a 100% guarantee either way as no two eyes are identical.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I had an astigmatism in both eyes and was -7 in each. I got Wavefront LASIK almost two years ago and I can still see. The only difference I've noticed is my eyes are more sensitive to dry air, but that may be because I was so used to a nice moist protective barrier of contacts for so long and maybe this is normal.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I had an astigmatism in both eyes and was -7 in each. I got Wavefront LASIK almost two years ago and I can still see. The only difference I've noticed is my eyes are more sensitive to dry air, but that may be because I was so used to a nice moist protective barrier of contacts for so long and maybe this is normal.

Yea, my eyes get a little drier also in the winter and I never wore contacts.

CourteousSarcasm
Dec 21, 2015

It's called Karma and it is pronounced, "HaHa Fuck You"!
I have to share that I had Lasix in 2004 and it was the best decision I ever made. Sadly, after an amazingly long run of 11 years, my days of 20/20 are over. My vision has been deteriorating slowly over the past year and it's time to get a little help for reading and driving in the form of pesky eyeglasses. However, I am still very happy with the procedure and wish I could do it all over again.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CourteousSarcasm posted:

I have to share that I had Lasix in 2004 and it was the best decision I ever made. Sadly, after an amazingly long run of 11 years, my days of 20/20 are over. My vision has been deteriorating slowly over the past year and it's time to get a little help for reading and driving in the form of pesky eyeglasses. However, I am still very happy with the procedure and wish I could do it all over again.

How old were you when you had it done?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well I got femtosecond LASIK last thursday and the procedure itself was no problem, but... my vision hasn't really improved much? Most articles I've read on the subject says you should be good to return to work within 48 hours, but it doesn't feel like much has progressed over nearly 5 days now. There are definitely things I can see more clearly, but my vision in general is extremely erratic and blurry still. Is it supposed to take this long? I've been doing the dripping like they said, but right now I'm extremely skeptical about the possibility of not needing glasses. It's not going great.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Hakkesshu posted:

Well I got femtosecond LASIK last thursday and the procedure itself was no problem, but... my vision hasn't really improved much? Most articles I've read on the subject says you should be good to return to work within 48 hours, but it doesn't feel like much has progressed over nearly 5 days now. There are definitely things I can see more clearly, but my vision in general is extremely erratic and blurry still. Is it supposed to take this long? I've been doing the dripping like they said, but right now I'm extremely skeptical about the possibility of not needing glasses. It's not going great.

The same thing happened to me due to water getting trapped. It eventually worked its way out and improved.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Popping back in to this thread to say that last winter I had some major blurriness issues from the dry air and was seriously worried I'd need a touchup, and this winter I've had zero problems.

Almost two years out from my surgery and it still makes me unreasonably giddy to be able to read the digital clock on the stove from two rooms over. Before LASIK I could never do that, even with contacts.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

I had PRK (longer recovery) last year and I had blurriness for a good 4 weeks after and felt much the same way you do; now i'm 20/15 and everything is awesome. If your postop is good trust the doc and just give it time.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cool, thanks. I spoke to my doctor and she said nothing should be awry, but I'm going in for a check-up in a couple of days either way. Just frustrating when I know I can see everything more clearly, but it's still too blurry to be comfortable, so it feels like you're wearing lovely glasses or something.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It's been about 3-4 years since I had LASIK done, I was -9.00 in each eye with a little bit of astigmatism.

Anyway, my vision was never 20/20 afterwards but I could legally drive without glasses and it never really bothered me. We weren't expecting 100% results because of how bad my vision was and how thin my corneas were. But lately I've been squinting a ton trying to see the score if a game is on TV or even at the computer, and when I drive I can't read street signs until I'm pretty close to them. So I've made an appointment with the eye doctor to go get checked out and see what my options are.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

It's been about 3-4 years since I had LASIK done, I was -9.00 in each eye with a little bit of astigmatism.

Anyway, my vision was never 20/20 afterwards but I could legally drive without glasses and it never really bothered me. We weren't expecting 100% results because of how bad my vision was and how thin my corneas were. But lately I've been squinting a ton trying to see the score if a game is on TV or even at the computer, and when I drive I can't read street signs until I'm pretty close to them. So I've made an appointment with the eye doctor to go get checked out and see what my options are.

Yea, at -9 in both eyes it'd be really hard to get you to maintain close to 20/20 with one surgery.

Depending on your age/eyes a second surgery would likely be a lot more precise as I'm sure you're seeing far better than -9 right now.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
I got my Lasik done a 2nd time for free after 6 months. I started at about -6.25. The first surgery got me to about 20/30 but now my vision is perfect! It was more rough after the 2nd surgery though, I was very uncomfortable and needed more pain meds while after the first time I was just excited and wanted to look at stuff.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Can anyone recommend a doctor in NOVA or DC? I plan on asking my optometrist, but thought I'd ask in here as well.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I had LASIK last Friday and so far it's been amazing aside from all the eyedrops I have to use. Didn't hurt at all, no pain afterward, no complications, I was able to use the computer the next day with sunglasses, could drive at night with less starbursting than my glasses, and I was seeing 20/20 by the next morning appointment. From something like 20/400 to 20/600. And it's noticeably better than 20/20 just a few days after. And probably about 2-3 times better than what I was ever able to get with glasses. Partly because of that, I'm thinking I probably had some significant weird aberrations or something fracturing images because I notice that nothing's obviously split into 3-4 (or occasionally more) pieces anymore, and the briar patch snowflake "starbursts" are basically completely absent. Now the starbursts just look basically like what the usual starburst examples look like, which even though that's not perfect, it's way better. I'm going to have to remember to ask about those wavefront aberration charts at my next appointment, but I do remember there being large patches of irregularly shaped off-center red on those eye graphs they had.

Still have haloing too, at least for now, but it's noticeably decreasing.

One of the weirdest things is sometimes feeling like I'm not able to read distant stuff simply because the text is too small or the light is wrong instead of it being too blurry or fractured.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I know it varies by area, but can we talk costs? I'm in the Florida region for what that's worth.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Mine was $3400 for all laser lasik, not including the approx $80 in eyedrops I'm probably going to be using before the dry eyes and rubbing moratorium ends. It would have been $200 less per eye using a blade (microkeratome). The others in my area were in the $4000 or above range for two eyes for the same technology from what I gathered.

Some places will do a sub $500 per eye procedure on lower prescriptions, but I'd guess you're out of that range.

Supposedly the national average is around $2100 per eye.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 25, 2016

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Also, I'm not sure if I could get a whole lot better vision unless I got new higher resolution retinas and/or brain processing installed, so I'd currently take the same cheaper price but same tech option from Joffe again without hesitation if I had to do it over. Especially if most of the haloes and starbursts fade as advertised over the next months. They were even super friendly.

Maybe it will all suddenly go to hell or something, but I think I'm supposed to be past most of the real serious complication phase unless I decide to start poking my eyes in a fit of insanity or wash my eyes with sewage. And even if it slips significantly I can get touch ups/enhancements free for 18 months or the low price after.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Kylra posted:

Mine was $3400 for all laser lasik, not including the approx $80 in eyedrops I'm probably going to be using before the dry eyes and rubbing moratorium ends. It would have been $200 less per eye using a blade (microkeratome). The others in my area were in the $4000 or above range for two eyes for the same technology from what I gathered.

Some places will do a sub $500 per eye procedure on lower prescriptions, but I'd guess you're out of that range.

Supposedly the national average is around $2100 per eye.

not too bad, but yeah, probably puts me into 'normal price' range. I was expecting about 5k out the door.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Mine was $3600 for Wavefront LASIK in Dallas. Both eyes were -7.00 with astigmatisms, I would've had to go the PRK route had I not had abnormally thick corneas. Insurance covered the eye drops.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mine was 6,000 for both eyes. I needed laser cut flaps and the wavefront laser

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Zogo posted:

Yea, at -9 in both eyes it'd be really hard to get you to maintain close to 20/20 with one surgery.

Depending on your age/eyes a second surgery would likely be a lot more precise as I'm sure you're seeing far better than -9 right now.

I got glasses a month ago, and went back today to get re-evaluated for LASIK. After 3 hours of tests, they are going to do PRK on my right eye next month. He's taking half off so it will only be $1250.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Ok, I went in for my 3 week checkup. Currently I can read the 20/20 line trivially, and the 20/15 line with a little effort. I imagine I could take a crack at a letter or two on a 20/10 or so line on a good day, which today is not. My new best correctable vision with glasses seems to only be a tiny bit better than that, which is still a good bit better than what I had before with glasses. I don't think I got past 20/20 on the day the last ones were brand new.

My prescription before lasik was -6.5 going to -10.25 with astigmatism in my right eye, and -4.5 going to -7.5 with astigmatism in my left. I couldn't even tell the 20/200 E might be an e without a good chunk of time to sort through the fractured image mentally.

Haloes are mostly gone, but there's still a lot of starbursting. Not enough to get in the way of night driving more than an annoyance nor enough to be uncomfortable, but it's there.

Eyes feel basically fine. Not dry or anything. I can't focus within 2 inches of my eyes anymore, but I don't need to hold anything that close anymore anyway!

This is basically ideal results as far as I can tell, so I dunno if this is something everyone should expect. But, this is my three week trip report.

Method and laser was the eye q guided allegretto with laser created flap.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 15, 2016

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I had Wavefront LASIK in July 2015 - my eyes were still a little foggy and not 100% for the first few months. It took a while for the dryness (constant eye drop use) to go down. Overall, I think it took a good six months for me to feel 100% with my eyes. Best decision I ever made though. My prescription was -2.25 / -2.50 ish.

Jimbosaurus
Feb 3, 2004
I believe in Jesus, our one Lord and GOD to be man's savior. Let us praise him at all times.
I had it done a few years ago, ~Aug 2012. I was near sighted, it was so long ago i cant remember my perscription, but couldnt make out writing on a sign 20 ft. away. The surgery went fine, 20 minutes for everything. Had nightmares of the blade slicing my eye open for a few days. Immediately after the surgery they tested me and I was able to see the 20/20 line, which I guess they said was almost unheard of. The next 5 hours was hell. I couldn't open my eyes, couldn't sleep and sat in my bathroom with the lights off listening to music. I only had a couple of weeks of dryness, but I had one "incident" 2-3 days after where it felt like I had something in my eye and couldn't keep it open. I had to drive with one eye closed to the place and they scraped my eye with a needle. After all that, vision is great. I have slightly better than 20/20 and no problems outside the one mentioned over the years. The surgery was one of the better things I have done and well worth it.

Edit: fixed my terrible typing errors.

Jimbosaurus fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 19, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I have had two eye exams already this year, and they want me to go for a third one this Thursday, a week before my PRK. Ugh.

Wouldn't be so bad if I ended up being at the eye doctor until 11:30am when I have a 9:00am appointment. Would it kill the doctor to get there at 8:00am? Fucks up my whole morning at work and if they dilate my eyes again it fucks me for a good 36 hours.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I have had two eye exams already this year, and they want me to go for a third one this Thursday, a week before my PRK. Ugh.

Wouldn't be so bad if I ended up being at the eye doctor until 11:30am when I have a 9:00am appointment. Would it kill the doctor to get there at 8:00am? Fucks up my whole morning at work and if they dilate my eyes again it fucks me for a good 36 hours.

Have you had the exam where they paralyze your pupils or is that not something they do for PRK? I thought I could go back to work after that one but had to take off the whole day because I couldn't focus my eyes at all for close to 24 hours.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Wow, that sounds horrible. I didn't have that for my PRK.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I think they had to paralyze mine to take the 3D scans for the Wavefront stuff.

Also today is my two year anniversary of getting my eyeballs lasered! :toot:

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
Did my one year post-enhancement follow-up this week. Much as I had suspected, things had sharpened up a little between this visit and the one six months prior.

For background my initial surgery was Oct 2014, resulted in great results initially (from a -10/-9.5 prescription before surgery). This degraded to about a 20/40 by about March 2015 when I decided to go ahead with an enhancement.

Left eye has lower refractive error, gets 3/5 on the 20/10 line.
Right eye has higher visual acuity, getting 4/5 on the 20/10 line (and I knew that Y was a V right at the end too), so just about 5/5.

Very happy with the results. Everything has healed up great. For what it's worth, on the first day post-enhancement my left eye could not read the top line of the chart. This was LASIK with custom waveform.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Have you had the exam where they paralyze your pupils or is that not something they do for PRK? I thought I could go back to work after that one but had to take off the whole day because I couldn't focus my eyes at all for close to 24 hours.

Dilate your pupils. 3 loving times at 3 different exams. Hate that poo poo.

I went to my appointment today, only 3 people were there to have it done so it went quick. The one alcohol eyedrop burns like a mother but it went pretty quick and I'm just chilling at home with my goggles on and I got back in the morning to get checked up, then back on Monday.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

No they specifically said paralyze, not dilate. It was like pupil dilation from hell.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

No they specifically said paralyze, not dilate. It was like pupil dilation from hell.

That would be cycloplegia. And yes, it sucks.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

That would be cycloplegia. And yes, it sucks.

That's quite a post/av combo. :3:

edit: because I suck at knowing what things are.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Yay, finally booked a consultation today after getting my yearly eye exam! My eyes aren't nearly as bad as some of y'alls in this thread so I'm hopeful it will be smooth sailing.

I'm going to TLC Laser Eye Center in Tyson's Corner, VA for my consult/procedure. Their price is more than most of the people in this thread are reporting- their brochure quotes $5300 for both eyes with lifetime adjustments- but I'm thinking they'll be running a special plus I haven't investigated if insurance will pay any of it plus I think I might get a discount through my husband's work, so I guess I'll see.

Super excited to finally be in a financial position to even begin considering this. I hate wearing glasses!

asur
Dec 28, 2012

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Yay, finally booked a consultation today after getting my yearly eye exam! My eyes aren't nearly as bad as some of y'alls in this thread so I'm hopeful it will be smooth sailing.

I'm going to TLC Laser Eye Center in Tyson's Corner, VA for my consult/procedure. Their price is more than most of the people in this thread are reporting- their brochure quotes $5300 for both eyes with lifetime adjustments- but I'm thinking they'll be running a special plus I haven't investigated if insurance will pay any of it plus I think I might get a discount through my husband's work, so I guess I'll see.

Super excited to finally be in a financial position to even begin considering this. I hate wearing glasses!

They knocked 15% off when I mentioned my specific vision insurance. I have no idea why as they didn't file a claim nor did my insurance cover it, but it was nice to get a lower price.

Libandano Urfam
Apr 23, 2010
So I am getting LASIK in about 2 weeks. I'm getting a pretty good price too. Thanks to all who have shared their experiences here, it helped me make my decisions and at times helped me sound like I knew what I was talking about to the doctor. Here's to not reflexively trying to adjust glasses that aren't there and poking myself in the eye (which I have done while actually wearing glasses)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug

Libandano Urfam posted:

Here's to not reflexively trying to adjust glasses that aren't there and poking myself in the eye (which I have done while actually wearing glasses)!

I don't poke myself in the eye since I always used to adjust my glasses by the stems or push them back up by the bridge, but I still reach up fairly often out of habit for frames that are no longer there. I'm sure I look like an idiot. Look forward to doing that for a while!

• Locked thread