Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

If a state is willing to remove civil rights, they probably won't mind removing state funded education. It could still be a threat but I can see it not really being a threat. At that point, how do the feds escalate?

The UNC system generates an insane amount of wealth for NC. Without federal funding for education the entire UNC system is hosed, which means among other things that college basketball is hosed, and I doubt NC would let that happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

TheQat posted:

looks like the first anti-trump ad from clinton is out:

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/727932354883248129

:wow: Trump has my vote because this is comedy gold.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Republican shopper openly chastizes food stamp recipient at Wal-Mart

Heres a fun video and article to make your blood boil.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Pharohman777 posted:

I can see hillary having to really struggle against her own history in this election.
The Clintons have a ton of political baggage, and with the private email server scandal and the accusations about hillary supressing rape allegations about bill clinton in the 80s, Hillary is going to have just as hard a time as Trump.

There are a lot of people who see hillary and all the political baggage full of unresolved accusations and scandals, and wont vote for her.
Trump has his own issues, but Hillary has the weight of her political history and scandals to bring her down.

What does any of that have to do with demographics?

Trump is going to get slaughtered because women loving hate him. He'll do worse with whites than Romney.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Trump is going to get slaughtered because women loving hate him. He'll do worse with whites than Romney.

Oh my god. For the last loving time.

STOP ASSUMING THE POLLS NOW WILL REFLECT WHAT HAPPENS IN THE FUTURE.

Every political expert acknowledges that polls narrow during a general. Stop acting like they won't.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

But Trump is a Republican left-wing socially liberal populist vulgarian. Hillary has never faced such a creature!

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Torpor posted:

But Trump is a Republican left-wing socially liberal populist vulgarian. Hillary has never faced such a creature!

She has not faced a candidate resembling Trump, that is true.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

CelestialScribe posted:

Every political expert acknowledges that polls narrow during a general. Stop acting like they won't.

Yeah dude Trump hasn't even begun his assault on Hillary. Itll be ruthless. Relentless. Trump rallies will start offering aprons and rubber gloves to women attendees. You think you know misogyny? You haven't seen Trump misogyny.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

a shameful boehner posted:

Forget James O'Queefe and Matt Daleiden, I can't wait for Matt Walsh to stroke out after the coronation.

"Watch what happens when I dress up as a woman at the RNC!"

e: gently caress that's Crowder isn't it

I can't keep my shitheels straight

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CelestialScribe posted:

If the fear that polls will change in the next six months is actually causing you this much mental distress, it's time to turn off the computer and go take a walk outside or talk to someone about your irrational anxiety.

I promise the USPol thread on somethingawful.com won't lull the nation into a false sense of complacency and single-handedly swing the election to Trump in your absence.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

Yeah dude Trump hasn't even begun his assault on Hillary. Itll be ruthless. Relentless. Trump rallies will start offering aprons and rubber gloves to women attendees. You think you know misogyny? You haven't seen Trump misogyny.
Um, I don't understand what you were responding to.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Polls don't decide elections, demographics do. Demographic models of the primaries have been extraordinarily predictive thus far, and there's no reason to suspect they will cease to be so moving forward. You cannot win the Presidential office in the United States of America in TYOOL 2016 with only white male support; you must have support among women and/or minorities as well, and it is these who are the most repulsed by Trump. The idiots saying "well maybe Trump isn't so bad" are nigh-uniformly white dudes, because of course they loving are.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Quorum posted:

Polls don't decide elections, demographics do. Demographic models of the primaries have been extraordinarily predictive thus far, and there's no reason to suspect they will cease to be so moving forward. You cannot win the Presidential office in the United States of America in TYOOL 2016 with only white male support; you must have support among women and/or minorities as well, and it is these who are the most repulsed by Trump. The idiots saying "well maybe Trump isn't so bad" are nigh-uniformly white dudes, because of course they loving are.

All the people vaguely insinuating that Trump isn't so bad feel like Rob Lowe's character in The Grinder dramatically intoning "but what if he isnt?" with a cheesy drama soundtrack and expecting that to carry the entire point.

Which, to be fair, is Trump's entire policy platform.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

TheQat posted:

looks like the first anti-trump ad from clinton is out:

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/727932354883248129

I actually laughed at Ted calling Trump a narcissist.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Why are we acting like Donald Trump isn't going to tack center when he's shown to be capable of completely changing his platform week to week based on what's playing well.

And like what is with the belief that anyone aside from the peanut gallery is going to bother holding him to whatever positions he's changed on.

He's not going to lose his base with a tack middle. His base is a personality cult. He could come out tomorrow in favor of open borders and he'd be met to wild applause by the people who were just cheering for him to ban Muslims and build a wall as long as he's got "strong" rhetoric to back it. JimRob, of Free Republic, went on a crusade banning anyone who thought hb2 was a good idea. Donald trump is an incredibly charismatic man who has been playing the crazy wing like a fiddle for the past 9 months and it's beyond stupid to assume he can't start playing to the wider masses.

We live in a goddamn weird world and a bunch of people in here are spouting the same VSP opinions that we routinely mock for being so up the rear end of the idea of being a beltway insider.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Arzying season is off to a strong start!

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Gio posted:

Um, I don't understand what you were responding to.

Trump's poll numbers with women will reach fedora levels. Like boomer white women might not even be a lock.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

DemeaninDemon posted:

Trump's poll numbers with women will reach fedora levels. Like boomer white women might not even be a lock.

Trump is actually a goon. Instead of shitposting in USPOL he is just on TV doing it to millions of people.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

KirbyKhan posted:

Republican shopper openly chastizes food stamp recipient at Wal-Mart

Heres a fun video and article to make your blood boil.

I'd love to know the amount she probably spent on social services via taxes. I could probably balance it on my fingertip.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Torpor posted:

:wow: Trump has my vote because this is comedy gold.

Lol at the sound bite of graham, the junior to strom loving thurmond, calling donald trump "race baiting"

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Has anyone ever asked Trump if he has stairs in his house?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Shbobdb posted:

Has anyone ever asked Trump if he has stairs in his house?

Trump would probably just start talking about the quality and quantity of the stairs and how they're very firm architecturally. The best stairs!

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Freep had a great idea:. Vice Presidential candidate Allen loving war criminal West.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Quorum posted:

Hmm, so this is the post that earns me a Yodatar. We come closer to finding the pattern (just kidding there is no pattern someone just apparently has way too much cash?????)

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

CelestialScribe posted:

Nobody is even talking about useless early GE polls, what they're saying is that Trump has burned every bridge he can in order to appeal to one single demographic (white men), and the days where white men alone decide the presidential election are dead and done (and to be fair to white men, Trump has over 50% disapproval ratings with them too). Women are over half the vote, racial minorities turn out to vote at high rates and have become a core component of the democratic coalition. Romney did well with women voters in 2012, and didn't do god awful with minority voters for a republican, and he still lost by a landslide.

And lets just head off the whole "Trump is going to pivot to the center and recapture moderates :ohdear:" bullshit right here and now, people aren't that stupid. I can tell you that no matter what Trump says, I will not forget in 6 months that he promised to ban half my family from entering the US because of their religion.

Blacks aren't going to forget angry trump supporters clocking a black dude in the face on TV, while police stand by and do nothing, and Trump brags about how he's going to pay the guy's legal bills if he gets in trouble. We're not going to forget KKK grand wizards speaking out in support of trump.

Latinos are never going to forget Trump standing up on stage, day after day, yelling to cheering crowds about his loving wall. They're not going to forget Trump calling Mexicans rapists and drug dealers. They're not going to forget the calls for mass deportations, because anyone with brownish skin who speaks anything remotely sounding like Spanish is "one of those illegal Mexicans" in America.

Asians aren't going to forget how Trump constantly demonizes Asian countries, constantly portraying them as scheming thieves out to destroy America. They're not going to forget Trump making mocking Asian accents to laughing crowds.

Women are going to remember when Trump, a man with zero qualifications for anything he's ever done in life, stands up on stage and calls a former senator and secretary of state "unqualified" to be president and claim she'd have 5% of the vote if she were a man. They aren't going to forget Trump spouting all the same poo poo every sexist boss they've ever worked for has said.

If somehow trump hasn't threatened your specific race or ethnicity sufficiently yet, you've got him unapologetically recycling pro-Nazi slogans and taking on campaign volunteers covered in neo-nazi tattoos to remind you that you're next.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

And lets just head off the whole "Trump is going to pivot to the center and recapture moderates :ohdear:" bullshit right here and now, people aren't that stupid. I can tell you that no matter what Trump says, I will not forget in 6 months that he promised to ban half my family from entering the US because of their religion.

Hell, even if people don't remember because of mass amnesia/the most luxurious and amazing of pivots, all you have to do is swamp the airwaves with everything Trump's said so far and it'll effectively be like that pivot never happened.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Everblight posted:

Yeah but if he picks like Sarah Palin or an animated cartoon Johnsonville Bratwurst, the VP debate with Julian Castro could be fun

Castro vs Kasich could be fun to watch. Kasich would drone on about how hebalanced the budget and is totally awesome and Castro would just give zero fucks.

MrChupon posted:

This seems like a serious problem with our system. Do Jill Stein and Gloria La Riva get intelligence briefings? If not, what is the threshhold? Did Ross Perot get them?

Only legitimate candidates get them so no, crazy fringe homeopathy people like Jill Stein don't count.

Gail Wynand posted:

Hillary Clinton Should Concede to Bernie Sanders Before The FBI Reveals Its Findings

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/clinton-should-concede-to-sanders-before-fbi-reveals-findings_b_9836720.html

I've never understood how anyone ever considered Huffington post to be a good news site. Or is this piece supposed to be satire and just does a bad job conveying it?

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
Gerrymandering got brought up briefly awhile back... are there any states that are so broken due to redistricting garbage that the Democratics literally can't win there? See, I really want to see the reverse of Reagan/Mondale just for the absolute mind-breaking hilarity that would occur in the world of GOP and Fox News and I have a dream, a great and noble dream, that Texas and a few other deep, deep red states could flip. But things are so skewed GOP in some places it seems absolutely impossible. But is it?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

Castro vs Kasich could be fun to watch. Kasich would drone on about how hebalanced the budget and is totally awesome and Castro would just give zero fucks.
That debate would be a good chance to get the backgrounds of the vp candidates - there's a lot of unknowns there. For example, castro's father was a maths teacher and political activist, but we haven't heard much from kasich on that front

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

acejackson42 posted:

Gerrymandering got brought up briefly awhile back... are there any states that are so broken due to redistricting garbage that the Democratics literally can't win there? See, I really want to see the reverse of Reagan/Mondale just for the absolute mind-breaking hilarity that would occur in the world of GOP and Fox News and I have a dream, a great and noble dream, that Texas and a few other deep, deep red states could flip. But things are so skewed GOP in some places it seems absolutely impossible. But is it?
The only effect gerrymandering has on the national level is in the House. It's not about states flipping, it's districts.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
However, ID laws and fuckery will ensure Florida is out of play for Hillary.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The only effect gerrymandering has on the national level is in the House. It's not about states flipping, it's districts.

Ah crap, now that I think about it that makes perfect sense. So, ah... how about that John Kasich guy, eh?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Shbobdb posted:

We said that in 2012 though.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

showbiz_liz posted:

The UNC system generates an insane amount of wealth for NC. Without federal funding for education the entire UNC system is hosed, which means among other things that college basketball is hosed, and I doubt NC would let that happen.

I don't know how long you've been paying attention to NC politics, but destroying the UNC system has been a long term goal for republicans since Jesse Helms was doing commentary at WRAL.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

acejackson42 posted:

The more effective the gerrymander (as in, the more it goes against overall demographics), the more susceptible it is to those demographics changing. If you flip 2 districts with a total of 74 Democrats and 26 Republicans into a district of 50 Democrats and another of 26 Republicans and 24 Democrats, then it means that if things shift even slightly D (which they are, over time, as the percentage of people who are white goes down), then it falls apart.

Gerrymandering luckily does expire, so even if things are hosed for a while, it can't hold up forever.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Yeah, gerrymandering is pretty easy to misunderstand. Here's a neat video for those interested

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Shbobdb posted:

You should stop taking Scandal seriously.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Bushiz posted:

Why are we acting like Donald Trump isn't going to tack center when he's shown to be capable of completely changing his platform week to week based on what's playing well.

Because that has nothing to do with what makes him an unpalatable candidate in a general election. It's not about him "tacking center", the dude already has staked out moderate positions on a bunch of different issues, more moderate than Cruz. People hate him because he's Donald Trump, a boorish cartoon character. People aren't going to forget his persona, he's had more exposure than any other presidential candidate in history. None of his weaknesses go away if he tacks center.

Also, the dude is a loving mess. I know a lot of people buy into this master puppeteer thing, and he's definitely incredibly savvy and talented and pretty smart, but the dude isn't making gross errors like flip-flopping 5 times on the same day or making insane accusations because he's a genius, he's doing it because he's a disconnected ego-maniac. He can't take even tiny amounts of criticism without becoming shockingly petty and personal.

He's a hilariously bad candidate.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
He is by far the worst major party candidate in history. The Democratic equivalent would be, like, nominating Sean Penn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Trump is both the best and the worst thing about this cycle. The good part is his supporters are exposed as racist shitheels to the rest of the world, the bad part is that he has a realistic chance to be president. Im really glad that i dont have to live in the states for this mess, but i doubt anywhere will be safe from the fallout if hillary has a stroke/bill gets caught with a maid/other unknowable unknowns puts the orange hobgoblin in the hit seat.

Demographically we should be safe, but america has a long track record of hamstringing itself.

:artzy:

• Locked thread