Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
That's a very good question!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Wafflecopper posted:

It might not stay at +1 given the weather alert. PTN, will the to-hit mod will increase with the intensification or does it just mean more lightning strikes?

True!

That's going to really really make hitting each other hard if it does increase, although, the primary objectives are notto kill all the Clanners, it is to raid the airfield, and escape without being disabled or captured.

Goons have definitely done a good job shooting the poo poo out of the Aerospace assets, and can easily hold for 3+ more turns if the shooting penalty worsens to let all the good doggies out of the tunnel, so just keep your eyes on the prize here and don't go crazy kill happy clanner yourselves

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's a very good question!

Hah. Maybe PSRs every turn for everyone due to high winds? :getin:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Wafflecopper posted:

It might not stay at +1 given the weather alert. PTN, will the to-hit mod will increase with the intensification or does it just mean more lightning strikes?
Remember those planes that took off?

They're coming back.

Not the way they want to.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Intensified Hurricane should mean that lightning strikes increase and that airborne Aerospace vehicles start impacting like artillery shells.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Depending on what the Atlas does, I'm thinking of running the Flashman to 1234 and opening up on the Urbanmech, although I think I'd be shooting on ~10s.

Suggestions?

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 5, 2016

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

That star of Goshawk reminds me of the Suicide Squad. Especially with their varying moods.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ardlen posted:

Depending on what the Atlas does, I'm thinking of running the Flashman to 1234 and opening up on the Urbanmech, although I think I'd be shooting on ~10s.

Suggestions?

I know this is silly considering you just left the hill, but turning around and heading to where the Champion is parked now might be nice. You can still shoot (poorly) at the Urbanmech this turn, but next turn as those two lights round the bend your pulse lasers should be able to do great work carving them in to pieces.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Rorahusky posted:

Ouch, bad luck on that TAC. Also, now would be a good time to turn your attention to the /actual/ threats coming your way as opposed to all the parked planes.

Also, Conga Line of Doggies eeee! :allears:

I don't know, maybe it was a one-off thing. But the parked planes just converted one of themselves to a battlefield asset.
Might want to finish them off.

Can active probes tell whether a vehicle is powered up or occupied?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
PTN, I'll be happy to bow out. Bad luck and my ineptitude are doing Goonlance no favors. I suppose I should at least retreat my Mech unless that's unnecessary.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Intensified Hurricane should mean that lightning strikes increase and that airborne Aerospace vehicles start impacting like artillery shells.

Flying in a hurricane isn't that crazy*. We have planes fly through them all the time for data gathering purposes, there's some commentary from one of NOAA's flight crew here. Taking off, that's kinda nuts because the winds at ground level are going to be incredibly turbulent, but once you're in the air your magic fusion rocket's thrust makes the relative airspeed basically meaningless. Aerospace fighters fly by punching the atmosphere in the throat over and over, they ain't got time for your sissy "aerodynamic stability concerns."

*I haven't bothered checking TacOps for the inevitable "hurricane level three makes plane spontaneously explode" rule, so if that's what you're talking about, darn it Catalyst.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

Salamander wants to get its fat fire support rear end out of there and have like the komodo or something move up there to intercept those lights and the coming jump infantry.

Hey, I offered a few ideas everybody decided to shoot stationary planes instead of dealing with the oncoming mechs. I'm mostly back anyway, and in pretty minimal danger this turn.

Anyway, probably going to walk up to 2132 and unload on the Urbie. Someone else is going to have to intercept the David and the Vixen, I'm totally unsuited for it and they're about to plow into the Revenants.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Vorenus posted:

PTN, I'll be happy to bow out. Bad luck and my ineptitude are doing Goonlance no favors. I suppose I should at least retreat my Mech unless that's unnecessary.
Pretty sure you still get to play the rest of this mission - you just get to try to be less unlucky next time!

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Vorenus posted:

It was just bad luck man. Think of it as lucking out from a golden bullet! :D PTN just meant you get to return next mission unless you do something awesome with your four remaining weapons.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 5, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Vorenus posted:

Don't be ashamed. PTN's dice can happen to anyone at any time. And, as PTN has said, people who get shafted by the dice get put to the top of the list for the next scenario. It's happened before, and will happen again.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Vorenus posted:

You're not inept, I'm just awful at getting an idea across lately. I'm offering you a spot next mission, not forcing you to withdraw in this one!

Seriously, eating a two followed by a twelve is impressively bad luck. Now that you've used that bad luck up, I figure you're going to be murderous!

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Thanks guys. I misunderstood PTN's post as "Yer screwed, bow out" but that leaves a pilotless mech. My reading comprehension is Not Good.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the withdrawal imperative I'm more of a liability than a resource in the upcoming battle. I'd be happy to go play Warcrimes Mech, but I'm open to suggestions.

PoptartsNinja posted:

You're not inept, I'm just awful at getting an idea across lately. I'm offering you a spot next mission, not forcing you to withdraw in this one!

Seriously, eating a two followed by a twelve is impressively bad luck. Now that you've used that bad luck up, I figure you're going to be murderous!
I'll be happy to play on!

Ragequitting is a lose/lose. Doesn't help me and makes things a headache for everyone else. Either PTN plays a Mech against himself or he gets to PM someone "Hey, wanna pilot a Stag that's missing it's best weapon? :allears: "

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 5, 2016

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

+Rep for taking it like a champ too rather than the one ragequit.

You're not really at risk (critical is described as damaged legs or torsos), armor is fine and you still have 26 points of potential damage, including two SRM-4s...

Kill the bastards who took your arm! :rage:

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 5, 2016

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Vorenus posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the withdrawal imperative I'm more of a liability than a resource in the upcoming battle. I'd be happy to go play Warcrimes Mech, but I'm open to suggestions.
Nah, you're just a brawler now instead of a sniper. I don't know how effective SRMs are for warcrimes, but I'm sure someone does!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
If this match does not have a round where the Komodo pilot shouts "Die Clanner!" as it unloads a hail of flechettes we are doing everything wrong.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ardlen posted:

Nah, you're just a brawler now instead of a sniper. I don't know how effective SRMs are for warcrimes, but I'm sure someone does!

Not Very.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
At least not without Infernos!

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Can I get a statistical analysis of my survival odds if I charge two Clan Stars?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Vorenus posted:

Can I get a statistical analysis of my survival odds if I charge two Clan Stars?

... Well they are not good.

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

Vorenus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzCOL6ewpPw

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Survival is still a primary objective. And that means EVERYBODY surviving. Don't do anything too crazy.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

I dunno, MASCing at 12, doesn't Yul get somewhere around a +4 move mod? That would be a to-hit of 9 for most enemies (8 for the leaders), before counting in their own mode mods of 2-3.

On average I think they'd be firing at 11s (the slow units and leader) and 12s (9 for the leaders' pulse). 10s or less when either side slows down.
Not that dangerous imho, they'll only hit by volume of fire unless they surround you to restrict your movement. Could get behind them maybe?

Edit: Warcrimes potential is fairly decent for SRMs. Kills one guy each under these conditions.
About-face to 1642 would give you cover. TH at 7 I think? (4 base, 1 storm, 1 woods, 1 walked).
Frees up the room behind the embankment.

Just thinking out loud, don't mean to pressure or anything.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 5, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

RA Rx posted:

I dunno, MASCing at 12, doesn't Yul get somewhere around a +4 move mod? That would be a to-hit of 9 for most enemies (8 for the leaders), before counting in their own mode mods of 2-3.

On average I think they'd be firing at 11s. 10s when they slow down.
Not that dangerous imho, they'll only hit by volume of fire unless they surround you to restrict your movement. Could get behind them maybe?

Volume of fire would be my main concern. We don't have any indications that Mister Fed Up With Trueborn Bullshit is going to abide by zell - which is, after all, Trueborn Bullshit - and besides, PTN Dice need to be taken into account.

For my money - and keep in mind that I'm not really up on the current tactical situation, having just glanced at the map briefly - I think Vorenus is better served trying to remain mostly with the rest of the GoonMercs for the moment until the Clanners commit to an attack. Then he can MASC up, zip around behind them, wheel, and unload into their backs while he's too speedy for them to do poo poo about.

The loser of most battles tends to be the first side to do something Dumb. Don't let that be you. Wait for the other side to do something Dumb, then exploit the poo poo out of it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

These planes have so much drat armor, comparatively.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Would be funny if the Komodo sends the Vandal into a tail spin with the flechettes.

If standing directly underneath it counts as shooting from behind for +1 TH, +1 for walk speed, 4 Base, +1 storm, +2 range for AP Gauss, meaning 7 for the PPC and 9 for the Gauss Rifles unless they count as AA.

Edit: Can the mechs with sufficient jump value kick/punch or DFB/DFA the Vandal?

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 5, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Chronojam posted:

These planes have so much drat armor, comparatively.

They get far less per ton, but they have fewer places to distribute it.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

They get far less per ton, but they have fewer places to distribute it.

Don't they get the same amount per ton? And also, as a plane, you basically have no reason not to run Ferro-Aluminium + an XL + DHS because those don't eat up crits to any meaningful degree.

"Oh no I can only have a maximum of 4 tail weapons. Woe is me."

This makes it much more impressive just how doctrinally bad Clan aerospace was in canon where their super-advanced high-end death fighters were not managing to even trade 1-1 against IS ones. That's some very, very bad flying.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

MJ12 posted:

Don't they get the same amount per ton? And also, as a plane, you basically have no reason not to run Ferro-Aluminium + an XL + DHS because those don't eat up crits to any meaningful degree.

"Oh no I can only have a maximum of 4 tail weapons. Woe is me."

This makes it much more impressive just how doctrinally bad Clan aerospace was in canon where their super-advanced high-end death fighters were not managing to even trade 1-1 against IS ones. That's some very, very bad flying.

I'd like to think it was somewhat like some of the initial combat pilots in American F4s reported. They were a plan designed to only use missiles, because missiles are great! One of the pilots told a story that at one point, he ended up in a head on against a Mig, and was basically going to play chicken with him (because the missiles weren't going to lock at that angle and range). He just barely avoided getting shot down when the Mig opened up on him with guns, because "Oh yeah, their planes have those still". Maybe they're just mystified how IS aircraft work?

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.

Gwaihir posted:

I wouldn't stand still unless you are in partial cover- Then at least you're at +2 to hit, and given the ranges involved, are still pretty safe. You could be agressive and head up to 0335, giving yourself a +3 move mod in addition to +1 partial cover and +1 hurricane. You'll be at 13-14 hex range, so medium for the ERLLs/cLPLs that you and the clanners are packing.

They'd have something like 4base + 2movement +1 hurricane + 3your movement +2 range + 1 partial cover = 13, impossible for most of their shots. The better pilots with G3 would need 12s, and the lead Goshawk with his pulse laser and tarcomp would need 9.

0335? That's on the far left side of the map, even the screamer couldn't get there from where the champion is at.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

We don't have any indications that Mister Fed Up With Trueborn Bullshit is going to abide by zell

I'm really hoping we get at least one bit of update fluff from that dude's perspective

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yul just can't catch a break eh?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Cimbri posted:

Yul just can't catch a break eh?
Seriously. One shot last mission and has his arm immediately fall off in this one.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ardlen posted:

Seriously. One shot last mission and has his arm immediately fall off in this one.

Her

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Actuallty it's "Your Celestial Wisdom." Off to the gulag with you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So time to back off the aeros and shoot mechs while moving towards our revenants?
I'm thinking of jumping to 1641 facing 1741 while shooting the urbanmech on, I think, 10s with my LPL.
Is there a better move?

• Locked thread