Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Poe is a better pilot, but Wedge is a better squad leader. Even in the books, Wedge was never the best in sheer piloting skill.

Except he is. And is acknowledged as such. Especially on Adumar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Adumar, sure, but I thought Corran or Tycho was considered the better pilot for much of the series?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

StashAugustine posted:

Hot take: Poe shouldn't be as good a pilot as Wedge :colbert:

Fight me IRL u bitch.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Otisburg posted:

Fight me IRL u bitch.

Hate to say it, but I believe Stash is right - you just can't beat Classic Wedge (well, in an even fight, anyway!)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Actually I will walk that back if we remember that TALONBANE COBRA is also PS9

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Look if Han gets a pass because of how cool Han is, Poe gets a pass because of how cool Poe is. :colbert:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

StashAugustine posted:

Hot take: Poe shouldn't be as good a pilot as Wedge :colbert:

Mods?!

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Poe is a better pilot, but Wedge is a better squad leader. Even in the books, Wedge was never the best in sheer piloting skill.

The Rick Hunter to Poe's Max Sterling, if you will

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Couple guys at the store wanted to do a 2000 point game. The went down to 1000 points then finally settled on 700 because one of them couldn't find eight of his TIE Fighters. I didn't ask how or if it ended.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I never understood the motivations of people who would want to play like that. If you want a battalion-level game, play Armada. I can't imagine playing a platoon-level game of that size and not getting bored out of my mind after the first 20 minutes.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I want to see someone run this. Hopefully we'll see the other Red Squadron pilots so this list can be a bit more accurate.
http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=...le%20of%20Yavin

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Major Isoor posted:

Hate to say it, but I believe Stash is right - you just can't beat Classic Wedge (well, in an even fight, anyway!)

Poe has destroyed more superweapons by volume. :colbert:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Goddamnit I cant believe I on the same train as guts and bolts but I am so goddamn hyped for this release pack. I dont even play rebels!

I'm gonna just go with my star wars universal dream team on the millenium falcon. Yeah I should probably take gunner but I love the idea of pulling out of 180 turn to come back with a boost + focus + target lock/second focus way too much.

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v4!s!201:18,-1,159,74:40:3:;196:98,-1,78,-1:39:15:&sn=Rae%20is%20Bae

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Otisburg posted:

Poe has destroyed more superweapons by volume. :colbert:

They're tied even if you don't want to count it this way

ALSO: Black Leader Poe plus Wes Janson equals sad Empire aces? I am soooo hypeeeeee

kingcom posted:

Goddamnit I cant believe I on the same train as guts and bolts but I am so goddamn hyped for this release pack. I dont even play rebels!

I'm gonna just go with my star wars universal dream team on the millenium falcon. Yeah I should probably take gunner but I love the idea of pulling out of 180 turn to come back with a boost + focus + target lock/second focus way too much.

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v4!s!201:18,-1,159,74:40:3:;196:98,-1,78,-1:39:15:&sn=Rae%20is%20Bae

I'm objectively a good poster, tho :colbert:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

I'm objectively a good poster, tho :colbert:

You're a good poster in the same way Poe is a better pilot than Wedge, wrong and everyone who disagrees outs them as a bad too.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Adumar, sure, but I thought Corran or Tycho was considered the better pilot for much of the series?

Well Corran turned out to be a Jedi, so it's not a fair comparison. I always figured Tycho wasn't a better pilot necessarily but was completely unflappable, which made a lot of people underestimate him.

Of course if we go purely by the movies Wedge has maybe four kills including a Death Star (split with Lando, natch), and Poe has about twenty plus all of Starkiller base. Corran and Tycho don't exist.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 5, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Chill la Chill posted:

I never understood the motivations of people who would want to play like that. If you want a battalion-level game, play Armada. I can't imagine playing a platoon-level game of that size and not getting bored out of my mind after the first 20 minutes.

Around the time Star Wars Miniatures Game released the gigantic AT-AT, a buddy and I showed up at our FLGS for our very first tournament. I got matched up with a dude who insisted on using that AT-AT, and in order to make it fair the tourney organizer allowed my buddy and I to team up. It was awful. After the first hour we wanted to quit but the guy insisted on playing it out because draws and forfeits didn't count toward prizes. We played a 450 point game for two loving hours when a normal 150pt game took 30 minutes. And then the guy accused us of pocketing his lucky die and some rarer minis when he wasn't looking (we didn't) and chased us out to the parking lot.

And that was the last time I ever played against a stranger in an FLGS. Miniature nerds are loving insane (present company excluded (except guts)).

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

kingcom posted:

You're a good post in the same way Poe is a better pilot than Wedge, wrong and everyone who disagrees outs them as a bad too.

Poe is better than Wedge - he's more handsome, more charismatic, more alive in the current movies, flies a cooler ship with a better paint scheme, and did I mention how handsome he is???

Luke or Han versus Poe, now that's hard

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

They're tied even if you don't want to count it this way

ALSO: Black Leader Poe plus Wes Janson equals sad Empire aces? I am soooo hypeeeeee

But yeah seriously thats a nasty combo that just straight cuts through everything. I don't even think the palp bus can keep things afloat though that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The real question is who's more kissable and I think we all know who that is.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

Poe is better than Wedge - he's more handsome, more charismatic, more alive in the current movies, flies a cooler ship with a better paint scheme, and did I mention how handsome he is???

Luke or Han versus Poe, now that's hard

lol just lol.

Let me break this down for you scrubs.

Han > Poe

Poe > Luke

Wedge > Poe

Wedge > Han > Poe > Luke. ffs

Edit : Vader > Wedge > Han > Poe > Luke Obviously.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Improbable Lobster posted:

kingcom posted:

holy poo poo how horrible

OFFICIAL MOST POWERFUL POWER RANKINGS
Pilot Hotness

1) Poe Dameron
2) Han Solo
3) ANH Luke Skywalker

POWER GAP

4) Rey
5) Jess Pava
6) Lando Calrissian
7) Snap Wexley
8) Garven Dreis
9) Wedge Antilles

POWER GAP

9) Chewbacca
9000) Ello Asty
9001) Darth Vader

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 5, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Wedge is like Viper in top gun to Poe's Maverick. Fantastic flight leader, great pilot, but not the best of the best (aside from top gun instructors having been the best in their time blah blah). Encourages his pilots to do better. I mean, Wedge is the guy who tells Luke it's an impossible shot in the briefing. Poe? He'd be ready to go trying to ram his dick proton torpedoes down the vent.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

kingcom posted:

lol just lol.

Let me break this down for you scrubs.

Han > Poe

Poe > Luke

Wedge > Poe

Wedge > Han > Poe > Luke. ffs

Edit : Vader > Wedge > Han > Poe > Luke Obviously.

Wedge was a big loving nerdo in the films who didn't do all that much

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Wedge never got himself captured by Han Solo's punk bitch son, so :shrug:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

Pilot Hotness

1) Poe Dameron
2) Han Solo
3) ANH Luke Skywalker

POWER GAP

4) Rey
5) Jess Pava
6) Lando Calrissian
7) Snap Wexley
8) Garven Dreis
9) Wedge Antilles

POWER GAP

9) Chewbacca
9000) Ello Asty
9001) Darth Vader

Is palpatine higher or lower than Vader? Asking for a friend

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wedge never got himself captured by Han Solo's punk bitch son, so :shrug:

loving rekt'd

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Around the time Star Wars Miniatures Game released the gigantic AT-AT, a buddy and I showed up at our FLGS for our very first tournament. I got matched up with a dude who insisted on using that AT-AT, and in order to make it fair the tourney organizer allowed my buddy and I to team up. It was awful. After the first hour we wanted to quit but the guy insisted on playing it out because draws and forfeits didn't count toward prizes. We played a 450 point game for two loving hours when a normal 150pt game took 30 minutes. And then the guy accused us of pocketing his lucky die and some rarer minis when he wasn't looking (we didn't) and chased us out to the parking lot.

And that was the last time I ever played against a stranger in an FLGS. Miniature nerds are loving insane (present company excluded (except guts)).

How would this even work in a tournament?? :psyduck:

guts and bolts posted:

Pilot Hotness

1) Poe Dameron
2) Han Solo
3) Lando Calrissian

POWER GAP

4) Rey
5) Jess Pava
6) ANH Luke Skywalker
7) Snap Wexley
8) Garven Dreis
9) Wedge Antilles

POWER GAP

9) Chewbacca
9000) Ello Asty
9001) Darth Vader

*Hugs Poe Dameron body pillow* <--- What I would be doing if it wasn't out in the car keeping a lookout

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Wedge was a big loving nerdo in the films who didn't do all that much

I mean Han flew through some asteroids pretty good and either got let go or got caught every other time. Means hes on par with nameless TIE Bomber pilot.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny

seriously do you have any idea how much of the EU is dedicated to examining this problem

do you have any idea how many different authors wanted their creation to be Luke's canon girlfriend

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

guts and bolts posted:

Pilot Hotness

1) Poe Dameron
2) Han Solo
3) ANH Luke Skywalker

POWER GAP

4) Rey
5) Jess Pava
6) Lando Calrissian
7) Snap Wexley
8) Garven Dreis
9) Wedge Antilles

POWER GAP

9) Chewbacca
9000) Ello Asty
9001) Darth Vader

Dude lol if 1980 Billy Dee Williams isn't at the top of this list.

Although I guess winning smiles are just Legends now. :(

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Hello, what have we here...

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Eimi posted:

Yeah, it's very snuggly fitted in, unless you cut some key aspects that make Whisper Whisper. Adapt can have some use against swarms, though Ryad is never a priority target anyway. At least by pretending she's the Inquis I didn't feel a big need to K turn Juno.

Oh no, you're absolutely right about the Phantom aces needing VI and Advanced Cloaking Device, those are effectively non-negotiable. The major issue I could see you running into is that you have 100 points of stuff and your highest PS ships are at 9, which means that if you happen to lose initiative to someone else running really flippy Imp aces or something like that you could potentially have a hard time.

Now what you COULD do if you felt daring is take Echo instead of Whisper, as both are supposed to be ladies. Echo is the harder of the two Phantoms to fly imo...her pilot skill is 8 with VI which means she's more vulnerable to getting decloak-sniped by aces, but her decloak is also trickier to use and her full potential range of movement possibilities takes some study and practice, but she has a lot of potential mobility and can pull off some crazy shenanigans if you get used to how she flies. She's also two points cheaper, which would give you a slight bit of wiggle room...good upgrades to look at would be either TIE mk2 on Juno or Ryad and/or an Intelligence Agent on Echo for some dial-peeking beforehand.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
Does anybody have that alt-art mock up of Poe eating cheetos out of the bag with chop sticks and if so can you please re-post it tia god bless

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Poe is the best. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS9LPPOIEZM

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ninjahedgehog posted:

:agreed: I had to switch some things around and even then I accidentally put him in #3 instead of #2...or maybe #1.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Guys I'm having a serious crisis of faith when it comes to PS9 Poe. I want to run two PS11 X-wings really loving bad but I know it's going to be an objectively terrible idea.

I think I might have to run the following, though.

gently caress IT LET'S GO PS 9 X-WINGS

Wedge Antilles (29) [40]
Push the Limit (3)
Engine Upgrade (4)
R2-D2 (4)

Poe Dameron (33) [40]
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
BB-8 (2)

Airen Cracken (19) [19]
Adaptability (0)

Total: 99

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

guts and bolts posted:

Pilot Hotness

1) Poe Dameron
2) Han Solo
3) ANH Luke Skywalker

POWER GAP

4) Rey
5) Jess Pava
6) Lando Calrissian
7) Snap Wexley
8) Garven Dreis
9) Wedge Antilles

POWER GAP

9) Chewbacca
9000) Ello Asty
9001) Darth Vader

What is this unspeakable nonsense. Everyone knows Chewbacca is the most bishie of them all

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

kingcom posted:

Is palpatine higher or lower than Vader? Asking for a friend

Higher

Don't blame me, I don't make the facts I just relate them

ninjahedgehog posted:

Im-loving-plying

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Chill la Chill posted:

How would this even work in a tournament?? :psyduck:

It didn't :ssh:

Ya'll mothafuckas best learn some respect though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU