Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Louisgod posted:

What have libertarians accomplished, exactly? Serious question.

"Libertarian" encompasses a lot of the early teabaggers, right? Because those threads with photos from their rallies enriched my life in so many ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Real Name Grover posted:

"Libertarian" encompasses a lot of the early teabaggers, right? Because those threads with photos from their rallies enriched my life in so many ways

Oh man, back when they called themselves teabaggers

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
My libertarian friend (who attended conferences and stuff and was pretty deep in it) moved to China and I started seeing FB status updates about how life was so much better there because of how orderly and safe it was and the fact they didn't have presidential elections.

Which is fine but lol because he's a libertarian.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

libertarians have influenced republicans waaay more than democrats have been influenced by the greens or whatever, every fuckin senator and house republicna has read atlas shrugged at this point

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Jewel Repetition posted:

Libertarians seem to like Trump even though he's the literally the most anti-libertarian candidate who's run in decades.
More Paulites I think. There's a Buchananite/paleocon nationalist faction that's floated around for yeeeaars and Ron Paul picked a lot of them up. But yes, it's also the case that libertarians are stupid.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Living at home and not having to pay rent or have any responsibility is an accomplishment I am kinda jealous of

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCs4a7DRGfE

No Mans Land 4
May 2, 2016

by zen death robot

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I don't normally like Salon, but this article made me laugh.

quote:

A lantern on a nearby table casts a dim glow on an approaching aid worker, an African with a deep knowledge of this place. He’s come to fetch his dinner. I’m hoping to corral him and pick his brain about the men who torched this town, burned people alive, beat and murdered civilians, abducted, raped, and enslaved women and children, looted and pillaged and stole.

Before I can say a word, he beats me to the punch with his own set of rapid-fire questions: “This man called Trump — what’s going on with him?  Who’s voting for him?  Are you voting for him?”  He then proceeds to tell me everything he’s heard about the Republican frontrunner — how Trump is tarnishing America’s global image, how he can’t believe the things Trump says about women and immigrants.

Here, where catastrophic food insecurity may tip into starvation at any time, where armed men still arrive in the night to steal and rape.  (“They could come any night.  You might even hear them tonight.  You’ll hear the women screaming,” another aid worker told me earlier in the day.)  Here, where horrors abound, this man wants — seemingly needs — to know if Donald Trump could actually be elected president of the United States.  “I’m really afraid,” he says of the prospect without a hint of irony.
http://www.salon.com/2016/05/04/its_happening_here_now_partner/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

First world problems > third world problems

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

I can't read cursive too well, who are the Secretary of the Treasury and Treasurer?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

William Bear posted:

I can't read cursive too well, who are the Secretary of the Treasury and Treasurer?

Mary Ellen Withrow and Robert Rubin. It's just a 90s bill.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

William Bear posted:

http://www.salon.com/2016/05/04/its_happening_here_now_partner/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Caring about what Europeans think is super beta.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
why did you put an anime french person on an american bill

No Mans Land 4
May 2, 2016

by zen death robot
why is there a big anime frenchwoman in new york loving harbor

----------------

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

No Mans Land 3 posted:

why is there a big anime frenchwoman in the new york loving harbor

Because Trump hasn't had a chance to replace it yet

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

No Mans Land 3 posted:

why is there a big anime frenchwoman in new york loving harbor

what on earth are you talking about

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Gyra_Solune posted:

what on earth are you talking about

The large statue in New York harbour that came from France?

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

still a better choice than andrew jackson though it only works if we're in the non-goddess madoka timeline because she has to have been dead for two years

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

when i was 6 this fat girl nina fell head-first into dogshit and i laughed so hard i cried and i could not stop and the teacher asked me what was going on and i couldnt reply because i was laughing/crying so hard and i was send home and i remember the look in my teachers eyes that she was really disturbed and thought i was crazy and now im 29 and the same thing is happening again

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Donald Trump taught me that violence is not the answer.

I used to fantasize about shooting coal CEOs but when Trump sidestepped the Iowa debate, I was like

woah.

Nobody else even thought you could do that.

Just some incredible lateral thinking

And it got me thinking maybe guns aren't the way to fight capitalism.

It reminds me of the sit-down strike--it was possible in the 1830s, but didn't come into use in the USA until the 1930s. Just the idea of sitting down and staying there was innovative

I wonder if there are other tactics for change so easily available that are invisible right now.

Thanks Donald.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

squirrelzipper posted:

The large statue in New York harbour that came from France?

i was unaware the statue of liberty was anime

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Sai posted:

when i was 6 this fat girl nina fell head-first into dogshit and i laughed so hard i cried and i could not stop and the teacher asked me what was going on and i couldnt reply because i was laughing/crying so hard and i was send home and i remember the look in my teachers eyes that she was really disturbed and thought i was crazy and now im 29 and the same thing is happening again

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

libertarians have influenced republicans waaay more than democrats have been influenced by the greens or whatever, every fuckin senator and house republicna has read atlas shrugged at this point

That should be a lesson to the Greens.

Hey, Greens - you know how incredibly awful and insufferable Libertarians are? ...yeah, you've somehow managed to be less likable.

iustorum_anime
Apr 4, 2016

William Bear posted:

If Donald Trump was running for president of South Sudan, I might care about what the South Sudanese think of him.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Because it's late at night and nothing happens in this thread,

:ocelot:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Majorian posted:

Hey, Greens - you know how incredibly awful and insufferable Libertarians are? ...yeah, you've somehow managed to be less likable.

Isn't Green pop-fiction basically Star Trek TNG? Seems pretty influential.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Majorian posted:

It's more that they're passive. And passivity just doesn't work in US politics.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

My rare and regrettable serious-post.

I think Trump should and will revise his position on Supreme Court judges. Maybe that'll mean saying congress should give Obama's candidates a vote now. Maybe he'll change his list of 'ideal candidates' to be far more moderate. But right now it seems like (a) there's a lot of Dems who feel that the biggest risk in the election is Supreme Court chairs and (b) I think a lot of Trump's proposed agenda is pretty orthogonal to the things that Dems think will get solved/defended by the SC.

Trump trades more wailing and crying from social conservatives for attacking a major sense of obligation that uncomfortable Hillary supporters have.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Gyra_Solune posted:

i was unaware the statue of liberty was anime

Oh yeah. Well, proto-anime.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I think Trump should and will revise his position on Supreme Court judges. Maybe that'll mean saying congress should give Obama's candidates a vote now. Maybe he'll change his list of 'ideal candidates' to be far more moderate. But right now it seems like (a) there's a lot of Dems who feel that the biggest risk in the election is Supreme Court chairs and (b) I think a lot of Trump's proposed agenda is pretty orthogonal to the things that Dems think will get solved/defended by the SC.

Trump trades more wailing and crying from social conservatives for attacking a major sense of obligation that uncomfortable Hillary supporters have.

lol good luck with that trump don't give a poo poo about the SC and it's his bargaining chip to get the party onboard with his candidacy

No Mans Land 4
May 2, 2016

by zen death robot

you aren't using TV logic
that would decrease the amount of drama
that isn't allowed

----------------

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
lol most exciting night bill kristol has had in years

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/728057531373891584
https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/728062374528335872
https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/728064079189946368
https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/728068600771284992

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Frustrated and dejected Republicans are resorting to their own fantasy candidate league. This denial is sad!

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Gyra_Solune posted:

why did you put an anime french person on an american bill

because hes a moron who should be executed

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

This one especially from the party of personal responsibility lmao

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Imagine if they had read the Constitution :allears:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Isn't Green pop-fiction basically Star Trek TNG? Seems pretty influential.

That's NAMBLA's pop-fiction

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Helical Nightmares posted:

That's NAMBLA's pop-fiction

You're better than this Helical. Leave the low energy AATrek jokes to the losers. Don't get tired of winning.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

You're better than this Helical. Leave the low energy AATrek jokes to the losers. Don't get tired of winning.

Fair. It's late

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

One of my Facebook friends who I have been using as a barometer of rural evangelical craziness (posts stuff like anti-science/evolution pictures and MLM products, of course) just posted Beck's crazy person "gently caress OFF, GOP" rant

I think this is notable because she is absolutely the base that Trump is hoping Carson will bring over to him, and she is definitely aware of Carson working within the campaign. I've been thinking for awhile that the anger of the leaders of the religious right from being cut out of the party will be the theme of the GOP electorate this cycle. They do not, DO NOT, do anything like compromising which is what "vote for Trump because Carson is on board" would be.

I think this is the first step to evangelicals taking their ball and going home.

• Locked thread