Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

Rats are cool because they teach you that you should never be touching the ground - the best way to play the game is always to be up high.

This is true. I think in my mind I'm also mixing them up with the Weepers which fulfilled a similar function but were harder to avoid and also carried a chaos penalty if you killed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Digirat posted:

I liked having some enemies in dishonored that you were actually allowed to shoot without causing Big Consequences, because that game gave you something like eight times as many ways to kill things as it did to subdue them nonlethally, but if you were going for low chaos then you weren't allowed to use any of them. I enjoyed having places where you really were free to go weapons hot, and I hope dishonored 2 does a lot more of that (just with maybe less annoying enemies).

The high/low chaos stuff is really lenient. You can kill something like 25 percent of the enemies in the game and still be low chaos.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Yeah, you can definitely still have some fun with the neat toys in Dishonored but it really doesn't feel right doing it because the game has real issue with what constitutes a "death" for people that you've knocked out, since even just leaving a corpse in the wrong spot can count against you without even knowing, or some enemies on angled surfaces/surfaces too close to edges will have their ragdolling corpses try their damndest to fall into a pool of water or off the side of a roof.

25% is less of a leniency option for the player to still go kill-happy, and more a way to let people experience the low chaos ending even when they find themselves cornered without a nonlethal option to resolve a fight, or when they find themselves screwed over because a swarm of rats ate like 9 unconscious people without this being conveyed to the player

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Alteisen posted:

Overwatch's play of the game seems to be based of big multi kills.

I will never get meaningless recognition since I'm always the healer. :qq:

From playing it for a few hours today I can tell you that the way to get 20 kills in one life is to park yourself in a corner as Bastion. Imagine the Heavy from TF2 but with sniper-like effectiveness across the map and a self-heal, in exchange for having to be a turret. I expect against actual teamwork this plan falters somewhat but against randos it's foolproof.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Butt Ox posted:

Invasion is based on SL and weapon upgrade level, so I guess it's not as bad as 1.

It's pretty bad because one of the late game bosses is in the exact same place as the first real boss. Like literally just across the room so a popular tactic is to just go kill the dancer and use the dancer's blades. So you don't really have to level up or even go beyond the wall to gently caress people up.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

It's pretty bad because one of the late game bosses is in the exact same place as the first real boss. Like literally just across the room so a popular tactic is to just go kill the dancer and use the dancer's blades. So you don't really have to level up or even go beyond the wall to gently caress people up.

This isn't like a typical RPG where an endgame weapon is straight up better than the earlygame weapons. There are plenty of weapons in the first 2 or 3 zones that can go toe to toe with weapons you find later in the game. I'd say the bog standard long sword is probably in the top quartile of pvp weapons. I've had a few people use the Dancer's Blades against me in pvp and the damage seemed laughably low. I beat both of them easily and my pvp win rate is probably under 50%.

That said, there is a ton of poo poo dragging the pvp down.

*You have to very carefully manage your weapon/soul level if you ever want to get any hits from the auto summon covenants. That is, 4 of the 8 covenants in the game.
*Player poise (ability to take hits without flinching) is literally not a thing. Some attacks have super armor but otherwise every hit will make you flinch.
*Invasions are heavily weighted to sending you to worlds with 3 man gank squads.
*Estus chugging is so quick and rolling is so effective that unless you kill someone in one combo they'll probably get away and fully heal without you being able to do much about it.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

The Moon Monster posted:

*Estus chugging is so quick and rolling is so effective that unless you kill someone in one combo they'll probably get away and fully heal without you being able to do much about it.

I saw this guy, I guess he's kind of famous for PvP videos? He sounds like a pubescent kermit the frog? He goes into PvP with three weapons. A simple Caestus, the lightest weapon, to constantly give him mana and parry people who spam light attacks against him, a huge loving gently caress-you weapon in his right hand, and a long katana.

He swings the big weapon around to taunt them. If he hits them, great, whatever, but what he wants is for them to say "oh, a big slow weapon, time to go stab him many times". One hit from any weapon will stun the other player, allowing a free second hit, but the third hit, from literally any weapon in the game, the timing is always that hitting the parry button on his left hand will succeed at parrying. Every time. Then he completely loving destroys them with a single punishment whack from his cleaver. Then if they have any life left he switches to the katana and only does running poke attacks while they try to go heal.

It's so goddamn methodical. I watched him play an hour straight of this. No variation. That's what it takes to be a PvP master in this game. You need a special weapon to chase down runners so that only you get to heal to full.

Also he casts a spell that makes it so even if you kill him he doesn't die. He survives one deathblow at 1hp. So unless you can kill a regular guy without this spell in one hit, he's going to survive the 2nd, and then he parries you and you are dead. It's hosed up how locked down his game is. I admire and hate him.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

This isn't like a typical RPG where an endgame weapon is straight up better than the earlygame weapons. There are plenty of weapons in the first 2 or 3 zones that can go toe to toe with weapons you find later in the game. I'd say the bog standard long sword is probably in the top quartile of pvp weapons. I've had a few people use the Dancer's Blades against me in pvp and the damage seemed laughably low. I beat both of them easily and my pvp win rate is probably under 50%.

Yes, but being able to get weapons and armor from the end game and sit around invading people who literally just started the game is kind of batshit and is why so many people hated the early areas of the first dark souls. For boss weapons enhancing it once is equal to a +2 weapon as well, just as an aside.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Yes, but being able to get weapons and armor from the end game and sit around invading people who literally just started the game is kind of batshit and is why so many people hated the early areas of the first dark souls. For boss weapons enhancing it once is equal to a +2 weapon as well, just as an aside.

I can make a pair of Sellswords in DS3 that deal as much, if not more, damage than the Dancer's blades, for the same "level" in the matchmaking system's eyes. In DS1, I could make a reinforced club that outright quadrupled the damage of anybody's likely-unupgraded weapons, and if I was SL1, I could invade literally anybody in the game.

Boss souls sucked poo poo in DS1, nobody cared about them in twink PVP because they require massive stat investments in order to be good. You can't get the most out of the MLGS if you can't even have the STR and INT to wield it at your preferred twinking level, let alone use it at its best damage output due to its reliance on scaling. Meanwhile, a reinforced club at +5 lightning deals 242/242 damage, so why ever bother with boss weapons when I can just beat somebody to death with a lightning club that makes them bleed and never go above Level 1.

It was never the "endgame" weapons that were the problem in DS1 PVP, if you mean endgame weapons as "weapons you can only pick up and first use in the endgame" because the thing that broke DS1 PVP is exactly what they put in DS3 PVP, matchmaking based on weapon strength

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

Well yeah, but a +1 boss weapon counts as a +2 normal weapon for matchmaking. Or so I've heard anyway. They only go up to +5. I was just saying that lategame weapons don't really give them much of an advantage over you.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 11:16 on May 4, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Krinkle posted:

Also he casts a spell that makes it so even if you kill him he doesn't die. He survives one deathblow at 1hp. So unless you can kill a regular guy without this spell in one hit, he's going to survive the 2nd, and then he parries you and you are dead. It's hosed up how locked down his game is. I admire and hate him.

You can't exactly run a set against a guy to learn his style in Dark Souls like you can in a fighting game, but ignoring that, what happens if a guy hits him twice and then does a jumping attack? That's certainly what I'd do after like the second time that happened to me.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

HMS Boromir posted:

You can't exactly run a set against a guy to learn his style in Dark Souls like you can in a fighting game, but ignoring that, what happens if a guy hits him twice and then does a jumping attack? That's certainly what I'd do after like the second time that happened to me.
I'd assume that he fights different opponents each time.

I too am getting pretty frustrated with PvP in DS3 because I had so much fun with it in DS2 and it just doesn't click in the sequel. When varied movesets and using tricks used to be king, now there is exactly one tactic that will grant you success 90% of the time, and that is get a fast yet still hard hitting weapon and R1 spam forever. I try to use jump attacks and kicks and parries and the special L2 moves and charged R2 and switching to a catalyst to put a spell in between swings, but all of that is pointless: opponent is a little faster than my (no matter ho well-timed) R2, just his blade connects a millisecond early, I get stunned out of my hit, and he gets another two in no matter how much I hammer the roll button. The stunlock is absurd and really no fun at all, in DS2 you could have a bigger weapon and they'd be hosed if they tried to trade hits, but in DS3 the damage doesn't matter at all, you just need to be faster. If I see someone wield a Katana or Shortsword, I might as well peace out of the fight because my Greatsword is just a bit slower and this'll lose me the fight every single times. Katanas are busted anyway because in my experience, they're the only weapon which will, with their running stab, always catch you when you run away as opposed to anything else which you can casually run away from, drink up and have full health for another try at the bait him into your attacks somehow game.

And yes, "try parrying them you scrubmaster" but that is a) easier said than done as those things tend to be and b) nothing is more frustrating than pulling off the parry, riposting in style even though the insane delayed input system lets you, and they survive with 1 HP, roll away and I don't have a Katana, they drink up and welp back to square loving one.

FFKonoko
Jan 1, 2013

Olfacere violarum.
From the long distant past:

scarycave posted:

Tingle isn't in Hyrule Warriors. :saddowns:

Thing dragging down Hyrule Warriors, they put Tingle in the game and a bunch of upcoming content and god drat it, I thought I had finished playing that game.
And after discovering the trick with Young Link to stay in focus spirit pretty much constantly, every other character feels weak now.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dr Christmas posted:

Dawn of War 3 was just announced, and as with every Warhammer game, it comes the favorite little that they've included that you didn't expect them to, and the thing they didn't include that's dragging it down.

In is case, sweet, you can build Imperial Knights! But aw man, only three races until they make an expansion.

I am 90% sure there will be a fourth race (likely necrons.)

They held back on revealing nids for quite a while with two.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My one big hope for Dishonored 2 is that it doesn't have leaden voice-acting direction of Dishonored 1. Did you know Carrie Fisher voices the announcer in 2 levels should you kill the original? Or that the mumbling inventor on amphetamines was Brad Dourif? Or that the clearly trust-worthy Admiral with Elephantiasis is John Slattery?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Isn't the dead Empress/heart Lena Headey?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah that game had a really amazing voice cast.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Susan Sarandon killed it

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Digirat posted:

I liked having some enemies in dishonored that you were actually allowed to shoot without causing Big Consequences, because that game gave you something like eight times as many ways to kill things as it did to subdue them nonlethally, but if you were going for low chaos then you weren't allowed to use any of them. I enjoyed having places where you really were free to go weapons hot, and I hope dishonored 2 does a lot more of that (just with maybe less annoying enemies).

gently caress, are twinks as bad as in dark souls 1? I had a great time doing a coordinated coop run through dark souls 2 (we played through the whole game summoning each other in each area, used complimentary builds, etc) and was excited to do the same thing in dark souls 3. But with hackers corrupting saves and getting people flagged for softbans I'm worried about going through the whole game with potential invasions on, and we don't want to spend the entire first two areas getting chain killed by twinks, even if they aren't all hackers.

Dark souls 3 has a password option for co op so you and your friend can play together without risk of invasion or hackers( the hacker was going after pvp groups that made their password public)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tengames posted:

Dark souls 3 has a password option for co op so you and your friend can play together without risk of invasion or hackers( the hacker was going after pvp groups that made their password public)

You can be invaded regardless of password.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah, invasions will happen, it just makes sure no one else can summon your friend, and it makes it easy for you to find their summon sign.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

RBA Starblade posted:

You can be invaded regardless of password.

You can only be invaded if you are "alive" and you don't have to be alive to summon people by passwords for PvP. In fact, not being "alive" is fairer because it doesn't give one person 30 or 40% extra health ( I forget which)

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Then i guess i got lucky when using passwords and wasnt invaded .

For bosses you can still ember + summon outside of the fog gate so invaders dont have time to even be summoned, but that wont work if you both want to head through the whole level together

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Tengames posted:

Then i guess i got lucky when using passwords and wasnt invaded .

For bosses you can still ember + summon outside of the fog gate so invaders dont have time to even be summoned, but that wont work if you both want to head through the whole level together
You're two dudes and the Summoner can wear the Way of the Blue Covenant item. Unless you are deathly afraid of those nefarious hackers lurking everywhere (I haven't encountered one yet), you should be able to survive a great many invasions just by sheer numbers alone. I know I only have a 10% success rate when invading (maybe even less) because everyone is two people with a third pending.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

I think its more being worried about the hackers as the one streaming a few days back could just warp to players, stab them, and theyd be disconnected with a risk of being soft banned.

Otherwise if its just a guy with infinite health start carrying the force miracle and hangout at ledges

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Alteisen posted:

Overwatch's play of the game seems to be based of big multi kills.

I will never get meaningless recognition since I'm always the healer. :qq:

I've seen Mercy get PotG for a good set of revives. It just seems extremely random who gets play of the game sometimes though. I've gotten pretty much full team wipes using Solider 76 or JunkRat but a Winston kills two people and somehow he pulls through.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They've been working on adjusting it throughout the betas so it's not as biased towards kills.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The Steam workshop has a bunch of skins to reskin the VR controllers. Not only is the "Freeman" themed one complete gently caress broken but half of what's currently available is some MLP horseshit.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

amityville anus posted:

The Steam workshop has a bunch of skins to reskin the VR controllers. Not only is the "Freeman" themed one complete gently caress broken but half of what's currently available is some MLP horseshit.

Did you expect VR to not be ponies and memes?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Christmas posted:

Dawn of War 3 was just announced, and as with every Warhammer game, it comes the favorite little that they've included that you didn't expect them to, and the thing they didn't include that's dragging it down.

In is case, sweet, you can build Imperial Knights! But aw man, only three races until they make an expansion.

God this is so dissapointing. Why are they only able to make 40k games with Space/Chaos Marines and Orks? Throw in some 'Nids at least and some god drat Necrons. As boring as the Tau are I'm glad they are at least branching out a little bit. It would be nice to play some Necrons without having to wade through the river of fedoras and BO at the Warhammer store.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Your Gay Uncle posted:

God this is so dissapointing. Why are they only able to make 40k games with Space/Chaos Marines and Orks? Throw in some 'Nids at least and some god drat Necrons. As boring as the Tau are I'm glad they are at least branching out a little bit. It would be nice to play some Necrons without having to wade through the river of fedoras and BO at the Warhammer store.

Hopefully 'crons and/or 'nidz get added to Battlefleet Gothic at some point. Spess mahreens are the next confirmed faction but there's another after that on the way.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Because that's what they loving do, put in as few races as you can get away with, use popular ones to lure people in then overcharge them to hell and back for DLC of the actually interesting races.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The authentic Warhammer experience

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Your Gay Uncle posted:

There's a studio making an Eisenhorn game. It's still in early access but it doesn't look that great. Although they somehow got Mark Strong to voice Eisenhorn.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Hey do you remember the first time you opened a mimic chest in Dark Souls and died?

So does DS3, because every loving chest is a mimic and now you can fight them for the low low benefit of two rusted coins.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Hey do you remember the first time you opened a mimic chest in Dark Souls and died?

So does DS3, because every loving chest is a mimic and now you can fight them for the low low benefit of two rusted coins.

First chest I found was a mimic - he punted me like he was kicking for goal and ruined my day.

I haven't encountered any since, though.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RyokoTK posted:

Its incredibly obvious which chests are mimics now though, they have a different coloration and the chain on the side is facing forward instead of curled up.

They still hit like trucks though.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Well, that's the only way to surprise anyone with mimics anymore I guess. I mean nobody expects them to be everywhere, right? Anyways I dont get why people always say they have to fight em, the talisman trick has been known since ds1 to get the item without any trouble

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Suffer not the mimic to live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

smuh posted:

Well, that's the only way to surprise anyone with mimics anymore I guess. I mean nobody expects them to be everywhere, right? Anyways I dont get why people always say they have to fight em, the talisman trick has been known since ds1 to get the item without any trouble

Because they have sweet delicious souls?