Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
Edit: Oh, new page. There was a new video on the last page, if anybody missed it!

Panzer Skank posted:

Hi good morning! Time for a :siren: NEW VIDEO :siren:

:siren:Max has... ummm fixed everything? Everything seems great. No problems here!:siren:

We also finally got some new journal pages! Here they are:

*And some spacing because I'm about to discuss stuff from the end of the video*

*Watch the video first!*

I guess Panzer will go through this in the next video, but:

Basically, after Max tears the photo in the past and then leaves that timeframe, "normal" Max takes over, and things proceed exactly as they normally did during the game (remember, normal Max knows nothing about Jefferson and the Dark Room), except that she has the torn photo in her journal, rather than discarding it in the girls bathroom. So she still ends up in the Dark Room with Jefferson, where she would normally use the first selfie to go back and text David about Jefferson. However, Jefferson sees the torn photo, gets pissed and burns her Journal and the other photos, so she can't go back and make that second change to the timeline.

It's kinda paradoxical within the current timeline, but I think it makes sense from the perspective of Max's personal timeline.

But yeah, Max basically sucks at re-writing timelines.

First time she tries it, she gets Chloe paralysed.
Second time (ignoring the small changes in the Dark Room), if she'd just texted David and not handed her photo in, she'd still be in Arcadia Bay and not San Francisco.
Third time, if she'd just managed to destroy the photo more thoroughly, or hidden it somewhere - or if she could reach her phone through the "photo boundary" and text David again, everything would be OK, too. Well, OK-ish.

Surprise Pizza fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Life is Strange is basically Back to the Future 2 in that A Teen Tries To Fix Things With Time Travel But Keeps Making Things Worse Because They're A Dumb Teen.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Wowser!

Life really is... weird.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 2, 2016

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Max is really flailing around grasping at straws here. I don't hate this trend if it's intentional (she's an increasingly desperate teenager whose weird time travel powers are probably starting to mess up her brain) but she has no logical plan of how she could stop a tornado other than thinking her powers MUST have some spiritual connection to it because she had a dream about it at the same time.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well nothing so far has suggested a logical plan so might as well keep trying until something sticks.

drifterofhell
Nov 5, 2009

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Max is really flailing around grasping at straws here. I don't hate this trend if it's intentional (she's an increasingly desperate teenager whose weird time travel powers are probably starting to mess up her brain) but she has no logical plan of how she could stop a tornado other than thinking her powers MUST have some spiritual connection to it because she had a dream about it at the same time.

I think it's less trying to stop a tornado and more about keep Chloe alive?

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

drifterofhell posted:

I think it's less trying to stop a tornado and more about keep Chloe alive?

I mean it's kind of both, I think. I think before she has the vision in the gallery Max is sure she's stopped the tornado, but now she realizes nope totally didn't do poo poo and Chloe is still there too.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Sindai posted:

Well nothing so far has suggested a logical plan so might as well keep trying until something sticks.

"Hide Chloe's dad's car keys so he doesn't die" and "call police on Jefferson" were both logical ideas at the time, but not sure what Max thinks she can do about the tornado. I guess Max could be trying to form a more robust plan to get Chloe out of town.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I doubt Max has any sort of plan, she just can't stand the idea of being safe in SF while things go to poo poo in Arcadia Bay and Chloe dies AGAIN.

Even if she couldn't do anything, Max would rather be in danger alongside Chloe than safe without her.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Jesus Chloe even if Max's tornado vision turns out to be false, maybe you shouldn't hang out on the beach just in case she's right? Like, maybe try hanging out in a sheltered area just in case? Maybe take a weekend vacation?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
My favorite guy is "Ugh, your nose!" guy.

Dingwall
Feb 28, 2016
i feel like this gif sums up the game:

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Hi good morning! Special surprise double update! :siren: NEW VIDEO :siren:

:siren:Well we hosed everything up again. So much for the gallery.:siren:

Thanks for the discussion in the thread clarifying what happened with the timeline! I tried to explain it in this video but I feel like I did a less good job than ya'll's discussion lmao

And ummm well the current state of our journal:

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
I actually think telling the truth is the "right" way of going about it. Ignoring the fact that, as stated in the video, we're going to eventually save Chloe again, As of right now it's just too wrong to lie about it. What happens if- for one reason or another- we can't achieve our goal? David is going to find out about Chloe anyway, and there'd be a pretty good chance of "Why did you lie to me, Max!?" going on. The truth may be a painful bitch and a half right now, but for something as serious as this, I always thought it was wrong to lie.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

gently caress's sake David, you're a military veteran with a gun and he's a beardy hipster with a tripod. Why does he keep killing you?

Also, I picked Truth when I first played, and regretted it. I mean, it's exactly what I half expected would happen, but still... Lying seems to almost always be the better option in Life is Strange dialogue choices.

Captian Nuke
Aug 5, 2012

Inferior posted:

gently caress's sake David, you're a military veteran with a gun and he's a beardy hipster with a tripod. Why does he keep killing you?

Jefferson is surprisingly spry for a bearded intellectual.

This sequence took me forever to figure out and it becomes darkly hilarious after a while.

I always feel bad about this choice since telling him the truth is so awful but hiding it feels like stealing something from David as well.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Inferior posted:

You'd be amazed how swole you get dragging bodies around.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I half expected David to shoot himself after he sent Max out of the room. Just, y'know, for that extra cherry on top.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I think it's better to lie because otherwise David is going to ruin his life in this timeline. He at least gets to be a hero that brings a criminal to justice and redeems himself a bit. Blow that criminal's brains out though and that's going outside the law and that result isn't good. I think Texas or Florida are the only states where it's possible to get away with killing someone outside your home without some kind of jail time. I feel like David would end up in a jail as a result even if it's a small amount of time. Also the guilt of killing another human being even if that human being is an evil psychopath that deserves it.

It's also the easy way out for Jefferson who is really the only person that wins. Think of any possible future trial too Sean Prescott has an easier time without testimony against him.

Inferior posted:

It took me maybe 20 or 30 tries to figure out the sequence. Calling it out, David was not in a combat infantry role. I bet he had some kind of support role, like tank mechanic or something.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 4, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
When I played this episode it absolutely convinced me that David was my favorite character. He is deeply messed up, but he tries his hardest to protect the ones he loves. And he truly does love his stepdaughter.

But to be honest, I think he deserves to hear the truth. If he'd find out later he'd be absolutely crushed, even more than now. Of course his angry impulse reaction destroyed his life even more than you already did, I'd feel terrible to lie to him that way. Just look at him, he's blissfully looking for evidence unaware what happened. :smith:

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

DropsySufferer posted:

I think it's better to lie because otherwise David is going to ruin his life in this timeline. He at least gets to be a hero that brings a criminal to justice and redeems himself a bit. Blow that criminal's brains out though and that's going outside the law and that result isn't good. I think Texas or Florida are the only states where it's possible to get away with killing someone outside your home without some kind of jail time. I feel like David would end up in a jail as a result even if it's a small amount of time. Also the guilt of killing another human being even if that human being is an evil psychopath that deserves it.

I think also that Jefferson having been already subdued and tied up on the floor would defeat any reasonable defense David would have in court for the murder charge. He straight up executes the dude.

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

More like Prince Alarming
I was really glad to see David redeem himself here, though also darkly amused at how often he got killed. I suppose like most fictional pyschopaths, Jefferson basically has superpowers.

Captain Swiss
Jul 9, 2008

This thread needs to be about twenty percent cooler.
He hits Chloe. As someone who had an abusive mother before she lost custody of me, nothing Step-douche could ever do will redeem him in my eyes.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Captain Swiss posted:

He hits Chloe. As someone who had an abusive mother before she lost custody of me, nothing Step-douche could ever do will redeem him in my eyes.

Very likely the writers didn't have influence from someone who was hit as a teen. (fortunately I didn't) People without that kind of trauma can kind of gloss over it and allow someone to be redeemed like it was nothing. I know I glossed it over, but you are absolutely right. When he hit Chloe, that is a line that needs a hell of a lot more than family counselling, ptsd, and "saving the day" to redeem. If they weren't going to handle that topic with a little more delicacy they should have just removed him hitting Chloe entirely.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Panzer Skank posted:

I think also that Jefferson having been already subdued and tied up on the floor would defeat any reasonable defense David would have in court for the murder charge. He straight up executes the dude.

"Your honor, they were the Bad Guy. If you aren't careful, they get free and go for one last dramatic murder."

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.

JossiRossi posted:

Very likely the writers didn't have influence from someone who was hit as a teen. (fortunately I didn't) People without that kind of trauma can kind of gloss over it and allow someone to be redeemed like it was nothing. I know I glossed it over, but you are absolutely right. When he hit Chloe, that is a line that needs a hell of a lot more than family counselling, ptsd, and "saving the day" to redeem. If they weren't going to handle that topic with a little more delicacy they should have just removed him hitting Chloe entirely.

One: Isn't the hitting Chloe thing due to player choice? I don't remember it happening in my playthough. If this is true, it would make Max indirectly responsible since she's been using her power to manipulate people, sometimes against their will.

Two: I like the scene because David isn't redeemed quite yet. He's on his way, but he has a long road ahead. And, I think he knows it, too. He's willing to admit he had faults. The "nice" dialog from Max really demonstrates this. She compliments him, and he undermines the compliment with the sad truth. She tries to be optimistic, and he's realistic.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Captain Swiss posted:

I dunno, physical violence of that sort was very rare in my family but not completely unknown, while I've known people who were seriously abused without ever having a hand laid on them. Abuse, to me, has always seemed more about the creation of an environment around and a mindset in the victim more than any one particular act. I'm not gonna say it was good, it was terrible, but you're making him out to be an irredeemable monster and from what we know of him that seems a step too far. And the fact that he felt regret over it, along with not having done it before or since... It's a single incident, that he clearly regrets - it's not a pattern of abuse that's going to cause long term damage, yet, though it could certainly turn into that and especially when coupled with the paranoia he might well have become much worse without our involvement... but we were involve. Didn't he not even hit her in our actual playthrough? You're declaring him irredeemable for a mistake he never even made, but merely could have made.

Of course, I also wonder if it's really "redemption" at all. Especially considering that his only reward for it, if there is one, is finding out that his daughter is dead. He seems more broken than redeemed in the end, even if he does save our lives. It seems to hint at the possibility of redemption, but then when he finds out the truth seems to take it away just as quickly.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Ughhh. I hate the picture you get from Jefferson in this section. I felt so disgusted when he took that picture. Everything about it just felt so wrong.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Krysmphoenix posted:

Ughhh. I hate the picture you get from Jefferson in this section. I felt so disgusted when he took that picture. Everything about it just felt so wrong.

Hey man do you want your dignity or do you want that sweet sweet 100% completion achievement cause you can't have both you greedy fool :v:

Sair
May 11, 2007

Captain Swiss posted:

He seems to mean well in his intentions, but he's still a seriously lovely person.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

TwoPair posted:

Hey man do you want your dignity or do you want that sweet sweet 100% completion achievement cause you can't have both you greedy fool :v:

Nah it's fine my photos travel back in time, but my shame sure doesn't!

Dingwall
Feb 28, 2016
i'm not going to lie, i let david get killed a lot. It was annoying at first but then oddly satisfying.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Am I the only one annoyed at David for making the investigation harder by snooping around the crime scene instead of calling police ASAP?

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Gantolandon posted:

Am I the only one annoyed at David for making the investigation harder by snooping around the crime scene instead of calling police ASAP?

Have you been annoyed by Teen Girl Detectives loving up every crime scene and bit of evidence they've come across? Because holy poo poo, would this be a problematic case. Much easier to just disappear Mr. Jefferson into a hole in the ground in the middle of nowhere.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gantolandon posted:

He "retired" from the force and other cops think he's a crank. Probably figures it's not worth it.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Anyone have a Chloe death tally thus far? I think episode 3 was the only one where she didn't die in some capacity, but then again she didn't exactly survive it either.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
Shot by Nathan in the girl's bathroom.
Accidentally shot herself (via ricochet) in the Junkyard - not necessarily fatally, though.
Hit by train.
Euthanized by Max (alternate universe)
Mauled by Pompidou - not necessarily fatal?
Headshot by Jefferson.

I think that's it?

So three "definite" deaths, one possible death of alterna-Chloe, and two at-least-very-bad-woundings.

Edit:

Of those, I think only the Nathan and Jefferson shootings require time-travel based fate-fuckery to avoid - the other ones you can do things "right" or quickly enough to avoid. Not sure about the train one; Can Max save Chloe first time there, or does it need at least a little rewinding?

Surprise Pizza fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 5, 2016

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Shot herself in the chest in the junkyard though, I'm sure if the game didn't stop you and make you rewind after a bit she'd certainly bleed out.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Shot herself in the chest in the junkyard though, I'm sure if the game didn't stop you and make you rewind after a bit she'd certainly bleed out.

I get the impression that it's not a very powerful gun though (Doesn't Frank describe it as a "pea-shooter" or something like that?), and I'd assume that the ricochet would take a fair amount of energy out of the round. I'm definitely far from an expert on firearms, but I'd think that could be potentially survivable, depending on precisely where it hit her. Max has a phone to call for an ambulance, or could drive Chloe's truck to get her to hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Morroque posted:

Anyone have a Chloe death tally thus far? I think episode 3 was the only one where she didn't die in some capacity, but then again she didn't exactly survive it either.

The past is obdurate. It doesn't want to change.

EDIT: But yeah, Chloe seems to keep winding up in life-threatening situations. That could just be the nature of this being a video game, or time is really pissy about us meddling with it.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 5, 2016

• Locked thread