Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

so with the new nexus line coming out. a bunch of CDJs should hit the second hand market pretty soon right? looking to get the cheapest pair that can link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

revmoo posted:

Daaaamn, that's pretty cool. Interesting that you can use it with a timecode setup. Any advantages over Traktor?

I'm prob not the person to ask as my experience with Traktor was limited but Mixxx seems to run faster on my 2011 mac and the layout of Traktor bothered me. Also it's free and I'm broke/not trying to do this for a living :)

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
So, BBC4 did a Daft Punk documentary, "unchained". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I3maTRmiYU
Now, to look for a way to see this in the US :ohdear:

*edit: I'm confused, was supposed to air in 2015? what's going onnnnnnn

Alfajor fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 20, 2016

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Still confused about when it originally came out, but here's BBC's "Aired 2/19" link : http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05zlk3w/daft-punk-unchained
Now, to find a proxy in the UK...

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aiW-bjpuws

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
DJ EZ is putting on a loving clinic right now:

http://www.djez.com/

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Shower realization: DJing has helped me improve on dancing. It was only in the last few years (since I started DJing!) that I've tuned into how most music uses the same phrasing, so it makes it a lot easier to try to coordinate some slick moves :slick:
Also: dancing on beat.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
Edit: thanks!

nullfunction fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 13, 2016

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Well my S2 has the infamous jog wheel problem on deck b. Lucky for me I got the guitar center warranty (because burning man).

Hoping they will outright replace the unit. I have a headlining gig this Saturday so it couldn't have come at a worse time; luckily I can just remove the platter and still use the unit.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 14, 2016

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

mitztronic posted:

Well my S2 has the infamous jog wheel problem on deck b. Lucky for me I got the guitar center warranty (because burning man).

Hoping they will outright replace the unit. I have a headlining gig this Saturday so it couldn't have come at a worse time; luckily I can just remove the platter and still use the unit.

When my S2 with guitar center warranty went down due to the USB port, they definitely replaced just the USB port. To top it off they replaced it with a black one so it's impossible to find in the dark :mad:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
When one of the FX buttons on my S4 went, I brought it into Long & McQuade in its NI flightcase. They must have sent it away somewhere (Montreal, I think, something to do with NI's distributor/service center being there) because it took months and they only gave me a definitive answer after I raised hell over the phone.

And then when I got it back, the flightcase was broken - the slide-out laptop tray had been pulled off of its rivets on one side like some ape couldn't figure out how to get it off, and the S4 had two dead faders it didn't have before.

I brought it back and they gave me a used-but functional one, and the guys at L&M repaired the flightcase. I sold the S4 the next week; I had already moved up to a DJM900/CDJ2000 setup and never wanted to deal with the terrible NI distribution affiliate again.

Good luck to you mitz, but I would deffo grab a loaner unit.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Does anyone have advice for attaching the wires for an m44-7 cartridge? The connectors are too small for the posts on both the technics headshell and the cartridge itself. I am not sure what the safe way to expand them is, and Google isn't much help.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Does anyone have advice for attaching the wires for an m44-7 cartridge? The connectors are too small for the posts on both the technics headshell and the cartridge itself. I am not sure what the safe way to expand them is, and Google isn't much help.

???

I have m44-7s and the black technics headshells. They just attach to each other. Don't over think it.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

b0red posted:

???

I have m44-7s and the black technics headshells. They just attach to each other. Don't over think it.

I'm glad yours fit fine, but mine are unambiguously smaller than the posts they are supposed to attach to.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Just push them on you weak bitch

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Yeah, that's dumb. If they're too loose you can just crimp them with some pliers. It's not like you are trying to keep the cartridges in NM+ condition for future resale.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

uh hello there

So, I kinda landed on this mess called dj-ing. I need aid.

Background: when I was a teenager, I used to do a lot of stupid poo poo roadie for a couple of bands that some of my friends played on. Pretty mediocre stuff. However, because these guys back then didn't bother to have a decent grasp of the technical side of getting your poo poo to sound good, I ended up self-learning a certain understanding of working with sound. Nothing too fancy.

Then I had the opportunity to learn a bit more about acoustics and sound technology as extracurricular projects. Still, nothing professional, it was something that I thought it was interesting.

Until I started being an assistant bartender in a local alternative club. Because the vast majority of DJs who played there weren't anything near amateur-level and were just called by the promoters because of having 1000+ friends on facebook, the sound quality always sucked. One night, I asked the manager if I could test and calibrate the PA system before we open. Sure as hell, the EQ was a mess, using trim knobs to increase volume (lol), etc.

Since the job was just freelance work, I didn't mind much. However, the sound was positively better, and the manager offered me to jump from the bar to sound monitoring. I ended up doing freelance work for a couple more clubs in the local alternative scene just by doing that: making sure their poo poo sounds good.

Last December, however, one DJ couldn't make it and they needed a last minute replacement. I got a pretty good offer ("what free drinks and cash ofc"), assembled a collection of tunes ASAP and ran with it.

Now, I didn't know jack poo poo about how-to-DJ, so I just set up my things and tried to work from intuition. I have no laptop, so I did everything straight on the station (just your usual 2CDJ/DJM combo). It worked. Apparently, it was good. Good enough I got called a few more times. And I am like "gently caress me lol I am total garbage at this", but if poo poo keeps evolving, I need to step up accordingly.

Which finally brings me to the point. I want to learn more to actually feel that I am doing a decent job. I have a few considerations:

1) Most of the scene here is mostly about non-EDM nights, playing stuff like disco, funk, alternative dance, rock, hip-hop, punk, alt-pop etc and I am using the genre conventions liberally here. How one actually goes into mixing rock, for example?

2) Electronic music here is more on the electroclash/indietronica/et al side of things. This is where I try to push my sets on, as I feel more confident due to the public having a great response to it. Any tips when it comes to playing those genres?

3) I don't have a laptop due to lack of :tenbux:, how hosed I am without going by that route? (I just prepare my pendrives with rekordbox)

4) Are there any good up-to-date basic, introductory guides?

5) I use Audacity to set up mixtapes from my sessions, combining it up from the tracks and editing the transitions. I don't know if this is the best way to do it, or if there are any other better tools to work with. From what I have read, others prefer to record from the station and just edit the set. Since I have no laptop or cdj/djm gear, I doubt I have alternatives.

Many, many thanks in advance :) (especially if you read all this crap)

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
For rock, you can either make or find a decent amount of edits, but a lot of the good poo poo is only on records so you'd need a decent turntable to digitize or play them off of.

Honestly for most of those genres in their raw form, you're gonna want to either just crossfade or quick cut depending on the track. Anything you can beatmatch and mix in is a bonus but you're gonna want to do those mixes quick and learn to ride the pitch. Since you're playing digitally you should also learn to love loops, but don't abuse them because it's kinda boring. Personally I don't do a loop unless I think the element I'm looping is interesting to loop on its own, like the beginning of "Dance With You" by Carrie Lucas(you can tease them with that opening bassline for a long while before actually exiting the loop, it's great).

Those electronic genres you mentioned are usually quantized but can still be a pain to mix since they aren't designed for that. Tbh I end up using loops with indie electronic stuff more than any other genre.

If you know your tracks not having a laptop isn't a huge hindrance at all. People have been doing residencies without them since mixing records was a thing, you'll honestly probably be better off without one.

If you want a good guide just pick up a copy of "How to DJ Right". It'll cover all the bases and you can develop on your own from there.

For recording, if the mixer has a record out or a second master out you could purchase a recorder to attach to it during your sets. Be sure it can handle line-level recording or it'll sound lovely.

Banano posted:

Just push them on you weak bitch

I followed this advice and one of the leads broke, so I guess I'm just gonna buy some cables that don't suck.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Sorry man.

I've had probably 5 sets of 447s over the years and never had that problem :shrug:

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Dubstep Jesus posted:

I followed this advice and one of the leads broke, so I guess I'm just gonna buy some cables that don't suck.

drat. That's crazy. You think shure would replace it? It's worth a shot calling them.

Transmetropolitan posted:

Which finally brings me to the point. I want to learn more to actually feel that I am doing a decent job. I have a few considerations:

1) Most of the scene here is mostly about non-EDM nights, playing stuff like disco, funk, alternative dance, rock, hip-hop, punk, alt-pop etc and I am using the genre conventions liberally here. How one actually goes into mixing rock, for example?

2) Electronic music here is more on the electroclash/indietronica/et al side of things. This is where I try to push my sets on, as I feel more confident due to the public having a great response to it. Any tips when it comes to playing those genres?

3) I don't have a laptop due to lack of :tenbux:, how hosed I am without going by that route? (I just prepare my pendrives with rekordbox)

4) Are there any good up-to-date basic, introductory guides?

5) I use Audacity to set up mixtapes from my sessions, combining it up from the tracks and editing the transitions. I don't know if this is the best way to do it, or if there are any other better tools to work with. From what I have read, others prefer to record from the station and just edit the set. Since I have no laptop or cdj/djm gear, I doubt I have alternatives.

Many, many thanks in advance :) (especially if you read all this crap)

save some cash up and get yourself a standalone controller or something. it seems you've been lucky that most of the places that book you have a decent pioneer rig. but that won't always be the case obviously.

if you're mixing around a lot of genres, learn to use the effect units and if there isn't one my favorite alternative is the turntable motor off effect which I'm pretty sure all CDJs can do. Basically just slows the track down and is a big rear end time stretch. Just doing a big delay effect with a similar tempo and bringing in another track that you've cued up can be all you need for multigenre.

But yeah delay is your best friend for multi genre imo, also learning how to do a bit of scratch chopping or whatever it's called wouldn't hurt. Doing like 1-2 second bits and bringing them in and out every 4 beats can make a nice build in. Idk how to describe it but yeah.

Congratz on getting bookings. I guess my point is that with multigenre stuff, you're not really their to make sick blends and mashups. People just want the vibe to keep going so a bit of effects and fuckery in the last 32 beats of a song while the first 32 beats of song come in will be perfect and people will enjoy it.

b0red fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 7, 2016

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Banano posted:

Sorry man.

I've had probably 5 sets of 447s over the years and never had that problem :shrug:

I'm pretty sure something got hosed up on the manufacturing side, it broke shockingly easy. I'll go to my dealer and see if he's got some extras he can give me.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
If anyone wants a download code for CK Mann's Funky Highlife PM me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUpZyFaFJHs

and it's gone!

Banano fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 8, 2016

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

b0red posted:

drat. That's crazy. You think shure would replace it? It's worth a shot calling them.

save some cash up and get yourself a standalone controller or something. it seems you've been lucky that most of the places that book you have a decent pioneer rig. but that won't always be the case obviously.

This. You can get one of those Stanton scs units for super cheap now.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

A good writeup on the rise and fall of EDM by Philip Sherburne

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1086-popping-the-drop-a-timeline-of-how-edms-bubble-burst/

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?
Grabbed a Kontrol D2 after the recent price drop, what a great controller. The S8's not very portable, and IMO the X1/F1 never really worked well with Traktor stems/remix decks, but things feel much smoother on the D2. A Good Purchase.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a good, technical reason not to keep both turntables on the same side of the mixer? Kind of like this:

The reasons I've come across so far involve:
1): Other DJs will call you wack
2) The DJ booth may not accommodate this setup

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Is there a good, technical reason not to keep both turntables on the same side of the mixer? Kind of like this:

Because touching one record places your hand dangerously close to touching the other? If you bump one deck it bumps the other? It's just super impractical, and doesn't make any sense really. Say you were mixing into the deck far right, you'd be reaching over the record currently playing. To quote Chris Rock: you could drive a car with just your feet if you wanted to, but that doesn't make it a good idea"

I mean technically you can turn the needle upside down, place a roll of tape on the deck and play the underside of the record (I actually saw Frankie Bones do this) but yeah there's a reason things have been the way they are.

Old Man Pants fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 14, 2016

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I did it the other way around when I first started DJing in public because I was only good at scratching with my left hand on the record and right hand on the fader. Eventually realized it just looked stupid and that I can just learn to control records with my right hand. Also my dumb rear end would get confused with what side was playing so I'd accidentally cut the music with the fader.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Old Man Pants posted:

I mean technically you can turn the needle upside down, place a roll of tape on the deck and play the underside of the record (I actually saw Frankie Bones do this) but yeah there's a reason things have been the way they are.

This is a really fun party trick. Not that difficult either. Really cool if you have doubles you can use it as an intro.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I've seen a few vinyl DJs do this. Personal preference. I think Compa does it like this.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Old Man Pants posted:

Because touching one record places your hand dangerously close to touching the other? If you bump one deck it bumps the other? It's just super impractical, and doesn't make any sense really. Say you were mixing into the deck far right, you'd be reaching over the record currently playing. To quote Chris Rock: you could drive a car with just your feet if you wanted to, but that doesn't make it a good idea"

Keeping both turntables on the side of my dominant hand makes plenty of sense--in theory. Why relegate one deck to mostly playing beats, like you see with most battle DJs? Even the guys at the DMC can only scratch well with one hand, save for few exceptions. Keeping both turntables in a favorable configuration could open up more scratch & beatjuggle possibilities--in theory. Its not just doing something to be weird.

No the biggest problem I came across was that one of the decks would be scratched hamster-style....totally forgot to account for that. Relearning my scratches in hamster-style is probably the same difficulty as learning them on my non-dominant hand so might as well keep trucking with the traditional alignment

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm gonna keep posting this any time anyone brings up hamster style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceSjbwi0S5E

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Got a weird issue I haven't found online. I've been using Traktor Pro 2 without any problems, until the last two weeks despite no update to the software. Randomly songs that synced up before and matched fine are completely off, sometimes restarting traktor works, sometimes not. I've even tested out old mixes I've done and sure enough, what worked fine before sometimes will sound like a loving train wreck now, even though almost everything I'm using is between 135 and 128 bpm. Re-analyzing doesn't fix the issue either. Anyone else have this issue?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Did you manually check the beatgrid?

If it happens when you're out playing a set somewhere just turn off sync

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Yeah, a similar things happens to me in Serato DJ occasionally. Some files just get touched by other software or something, and when Serato opens them next the beatgrid is off by a few frames of the file. I haven't found a 'solution' for that, other than just quickly readjusting the grid.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
PSA: New versions of Traktor will occasionally accumulate a bunch of errors in the audio buffer (or something, who the gently caress knows) and after playing for an hour you'll notice some super grainy distortion out of your audio interfaces. (Headphones and master out both for me.) Over time it just gets worse and worse.

Restarting Traktor fixes it, but it really hosed me over for a gig I recently played (first paid gig in a year. Of course.) - sitting up there with 10 min left in my set and basically playing music through a bit crusher, trying to decide if restarting is worse than what's going on now. Luckily the guy I was opening for showed up early and I handed off to him asap.

I hear from friends that this problem can be fixed live by going into the audio settings and changing the sample rate (thus reinitializing the buffer) but I haven't tested it yet myself. Maybe I'll get a chance to test it at the party I'm playing tomorrow!

Pro audio software, everyone. :sigh:

On the upside, I had a paid gig a couple weeks ago! It was awesome!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I get an occasional problem with Traktor that I can only describe as 'playback drag'. The waveform displays start to lag a little bit and sometimes playback gaps for a few seconds and then catches up to itself. It's very strange. I've never had it happen while recording a mix though, so that's nice. I have noticed the CPU meter moves really erratically though, even though the software performs fine - anyone else get this? The only time I've ever had bitcrusher-level distortion on the output is the other day when I was actively trying to break the software (by running four decks while it was analyzing new tracks).

Speaking of software issues... RekordBox 4! Anyone else having trouble synchronizing playlists to an external drive? I just upgraded to 4 (after moving up to El Capitan and having to sort out all the related driver issues) and all my new files won't seem to take to my drives; I always get an 'error while exporting' and it fails to copy everything. I've reformatted the drives and everything.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Dessert Rose posted:

PSA: New versions of Traktor will occasionally accumulate a bunch of errors in the audio buffer (or something, who the gently caress knows) and after playing for an hour you'll notice some super grainy distortion out of your audio interfaces. (Headphones and master out both for me.) Over time it just gets worse and worse.

Restarting Traktor fixes it, but it really hosed me over for a gig I recently played (first paid gig in a year. Of course.) - sitting up there with 10 min left in my set and basically playing music through a bit crusher, trying to decide if restarting is worse than what's going on now. Luckily the guy I was opening for showed up early and I handed off to him asap.

I hear from friends that this problem can be fixed live by going into the audio settings and changing the sample rate (thus reinitializing the buffer) but I haven't tested it yet myself. Maybe I'll get a chance to test it at the party I'm playing tomorrow!

Pro audio software, everyone. :sigh:

On the upside, I had a paid gig a couple weeks ago! It was awesome!

Nice this has happened to two friends of mine. One was during a gig between 12-1 AM, I was expecting to never throw a party at the venue again because the staff were panicking thinking there was something wrong with the funktion ones. I figured it was something to do with the buffer, nothing we tried has fixed it. We all just use CDJs now so its whatever but really really annoying. I wonder what the issue actually is.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 6, 2016

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Since there's more than one of you noticing that issue, why not contact NI and let them know, or post about it on their forums where it can get attention.

Feeling lucky I don't have software problems, but I'm stuck with hardware issues so... vOv

I feel like nowdays things should be better, not worse. The sitty midi controllers I had in the early 2000's with Traktor version 0 had less issues than the Traktor S2 Mark 400 with Traktor version 53.14.6.

To be fair, I didnt take those older controllers to dusty desert parties so foot in mouth or whatever

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Firaga posted:

We all just use CDJs now so its whatever but really really annoying. I wonder what the issue actually is.

This is the solution to all traktor and serato problems. Can't wait to pickup a pair of XDJ-1000s this summer.