Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Preeeeetty sure promotion freezes are for merit-based ones, not automatic ones.

I for one am super happy about how the maritime helo replacement continues to be a decades long car crash. No OTU, no plans for one by the look of it, and a $90 million cut to the program? I'll maybe probably almost certainly end up in Valcatraz on Griffons.

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007
They say Rene Descartes was a drunken fart, but I should have that title

compressioncut posted:

I for one am super happy about how the maritime helo replacement continues to be a decades long car crash. No OTU, no plans for one by the look of it, and a $90 million cut to the program? I'll maybe probably almost certainly end up in Valcatraz on Griffons.

Rumour mill has the MH COs staff checking for Sea Kings operating till 2021. So while that ship may have sailed, it could be heading back to port.

Ya know, to sit in dry dock.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

yeah I think saying that the SKs will be "operating" is wildly optimistic.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Are they still putting people through AESOP school or are SK-related MOS closed for the time being?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Frosted Flake posted:

Are they still putting people through AESOP school or are SK-related MOS closed for the time being?

The bulk of AESOPs are on Auroras anyhow. The Sea King OTU is running the last courses now, supposed to close in July.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The military going to Fort McMurray will be a reunion between the guys who got out to work in the oil sands, and the guys who stayed in - both to pay off their 2014 Camaros.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/how-is-the-military-helping-fort-mcmurray/

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

People on facebook are already screaming "why isn't the army in fort mac fighting the fires"

I want to reply "why aren't you fighting the fire, you have as much firefighting training as your average cpl bloggins does."

THE ARMY IS THE SOLUTION TO ALL PROBLEMS

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Shoot the fire to death

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Shoot? Like with actual live stuff? Been a while since you've been on ex, I see. The new plan is to run up to the flames making "psssh psssh" noises.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Send in the PAT platoons armed with fire blankets.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

They should just send Mat Techs near the end of their contract so they'll look on in despair.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Send in the PAT platoons armed with fire blankets.

This is the best idea.

Has anyone actually tried to smother a fire with a fire blanket? I feel like with the decades of dried up semen residue they'd go up like tissue paper soaked in gasoline.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Build a giant platform, get everyone loaded drunk and piss on the flames.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Remember that dude who went to take a piss at the fires last year and got lost in the woods? Send that guy.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Send the guy who took fire picket super seriously and wouldn't let his partner sleep in the laundry room.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
RIP to flying training on the prairies forever, killed by smoke and mild winters. Months behind due to the lovely winter weather, now going to be more months behind because you can't see the ground from above circuit altitude.

At least I finished...

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Something that's bothered me since basic: where did this Bloggins thing come from? Why is that our generic soldier name in the CF?

P-Value Hack
Apr 4, 2016
They would prob get better use training the Patricia's in fire fighting then playing tactilol and digging trenches to prepare for the Fulda Gap. Unfortunately though all the manchildren with chips on their shoulder will be aghast at the suggestion that they arent badass killing machines hooah.

P-Value Hack fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 10, 2016

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Well, the real question is, do we spend our limited training budget on learning how to fight forests, or to fight fires

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Canuck-Errant posted:

Well, the real question is, do we spend our limited training budget on learning how to fight forests, or to fight fires

It's gotta be on both. I mean, short term the fire is the immediate threat but long term... Who knows what the forests have in store for us.

Edit: maybe the fire is a false flag operation by the forest.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Hold up everyone, Mulcair is going to go negotiate with a some dried out trees.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So instead of shouting bang bang, they'll make whooshing noises and pretend to have hoses?

I heard North Bay has a fire too. Waiting for someone to set the ranges on fire at Pet or Shilo, seems to be dry all over.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

The new Terminal Lance is basically "Canadian Forces; the strip"

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
Good thing you posted it for us to see.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

In the last 3 years I was at 1 CER, we had 1 ex with enemy force, and that was like 4 guys on Skidoos. Brigade level exes have enemy force, but all we do is lane clearing for the tanks on those so who gives a gently caress anyways.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Ruse posted:

Good thing you posted it for us to see.

We tried but the notional bandwidth on DWAN only goes so far.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Yeah can't upload from my phone, and can't from my work PC either.

So here's the link!

http://terminallance.com/

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

So some news wires are reporting that we might be getting super hornets as an interim replacement.

Not a bad decision if true, I guess, but it probably could have been made a decade or so ago.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Seeing how long procurement takes and how often things just outright get cancelled, we'll probably end up getting 4 super hornets, delivered in 2030, after the F35 contract gets killed in 2025 and we're forced to pay some exhorbitant cancellation fee.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Simkin posted:

Seeing how long procurement takes and how often things just outright get cancelled, we'll probably end up getting 4 super hornets, delivered in 2030, after the F35 contract gets killed in 2025 and we're forced to pay some exhorbitant cancellation fee.

CFprocurement.txt

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Canada doesn't do Interim replacements. We say we do, but in reality whatever we buy as an interim ends up as being the replacement.

The O-Boats (RCN service 67-99) were supposed to be a stopgap until we could buy six Barbel class subs from the USN for instance.

The nice thing about calling it an interim replacement is it cuts down on some (but not all) of the red tape. Probably a 6-9 year project vice 16+.

See also: Interim AOR.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Saw another demo of the TAPV this month. I saw them at CanSec years ago and doing trials at Pet probably around the same time.

Did they cancel the program and restart, scale it back, or is it just taking longer than they expected?

Still waiting for those AGLs that will apparently be issued with thermals down to the company level...

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Anybody wanna engage in wild speculation about what the CPP increase will mean for pensions?

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012

Guest2553 posted:

Anybody wanna engage in wild speculation about what the CPP increase will mean for pensions?

Probably a terrifying claw back of everything you know and love.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
And today's "well the Reserves are hosed" article:

[NP] Christie Blatchford: Canada's ragged reserves have too few vehicles, little ammo and now, no radios

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Reserves hosed, water wet, NDHQ useless. Nothing new.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Lookit them fuckin knees. They don't deserve radios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This isn't really surprising to me. The Reserves have been hosed since the Afghan money train ground to a halt.