Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'm really not the poster who should be bringing up posts from back in the day.

boo.

who is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I love this argument because it implicitly assumes Hitler wass totally trustworthy
It's almost as good as the people who were outraged at Ken comparing Zionists to Hitler who then immediately turned around and compared Labour to Hitler for having a member who compared Zionists to Hitler.

It's Hitlers all the way down.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Look if the president of Israel can be a holocaust denier, surely we all can ?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

JFairfax posted:

Look if the president of Israel can be a holocaust denier, surely we all can ?

Prime minister*, maybe you're confusing it with the last president who was/is a rapist?

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

https://twitter.com/FionaHunterWood/status/728072906136113152/photo/1

https://twitter.com/NickCohen4/status/728137656417157120

The papers are being incredibly subtle about this

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

here

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Ok. Got it. Never heard of them. Don't care even less but feel I have done my civic duty. :geno:

E: Voted and broke a super injunction today! I feel like a true citizen/subject of the crown

Can you break a superinjunction if you're not a journo?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Yes, because it's a court order and there's no hard legal definition of what constitutes private speech vs. public speech, it's reliant on a bunch of case precedent that doesn't work so well with social media.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Surreptitiously evaded, maybe. :britain:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
the existence of a court mechanism to block information not intended for public consumption is, frankly, a farce in itself

the fact that it is used because the papers like writing about who's banging who "in public interest" is a worse farce

ban print media.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Spangly A posted:

ban print media.

Replace the lot with fanzines

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Spangly A posted:

the existence of a court mechanism to block information not intended for public consumption is, frankly, a farce in itself

the fact that it is used because the papers like writing about who's banging who "in public interest" is a worse farce

ban print media.

I've wondered now these work. If I get caught shoplifting or fighting on a Friday night (as is my wont), I go to court and the details appear in the local paper. Is the only barrier to this oodles of money? Also, yes, I know these are not covering up criminal acts.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Trickjaw posted:

I've wondered now these work. If I get caught shoplifting or fighting on a Friday night (as is my wont), I go to court and the details appear in the local paper. Is the only barrier to this oodles of money? Also, yes, I know these are not covering up criminal acts.

I think you've identified the barrier - an individual wishing to keep their extra marital affairs out of the public eye is different to the publicising of court proceedings.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Trickjaw posted:

the barrier is indeed money. A friend of mine went to prison and the local paper called him a "local stripper". He's a chartered accountant. It's the first hit for his name on google. I'm p sure there's a much stronger argument for a superinjunction here than there is in, say, elton john's thing. But frankly neither are really fit subjects for the press.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spangly A posted:

the barrier is indeed money. A friend of mine went to prison and the local paper called him a "local stripper". He's a chartered accountant. It's the first hit for his name on google. I'm p sure there's a much stronger argument for a superinjunction here than there is in, say, elton john's thing. But frankly neither are really fit subjects for the press.

Isn't it essential that judicial proceedings take place in public though?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Isn't it essential that judicial proceedings take place in public though?

Quite. and taken very seriously too.

Tours of adam johnsons swanky new pool area is not taking judicial proceedings seriously

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Spangly A posted:

the barrier is indeed money. A friend of mine went to prison and the local paper called him a "local stripper". He's a chartered accountant.

How dare they denigrate the honour of the profession of stripping. Being compared to an accountant, disgusting.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Pissflaps, I know Charlotte Church personally and have been sending her your postings and she's definitely interested to contact you. She said that the only thing she found more exciting that your posts is your rap sheet.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=31177

I didn't know Flaps was part of the Jamie Foxx fan club.

My, my, my...

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

How dare they denigrate the honour of the profession of stripping. Being compared to an accountant, disgusting.

canterbury has a weird relationship with strippers considering that it's a popular part-time job for the students and there's strip clubs all around the walls, but it also is full of old white people.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Spangly A posted:

canterbury has a weird relationship with strippers considering that it's a popular part-time job for the students and there's strip clubs all around the walls, but it also is full of old white people.

being fair, so are accountancy firms

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

being fair, so are accountancy firms

my friend is so black the prison guards refused to believe he was native born and moved him to a migrant camp for four days

that'd be kinda funny were it not incredibly racist

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

BOTH VOTES (scottish) LABOUR!

Never thought I'd be indirectly voting for Kezia but thanks for making it easy by trying to outflank the SNP from the left xoxo

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

My business card says "Josef K. Sourdust, Stripping Accountant MA, ACAEW, ACCA"

Super injunctions were pioneered by global firms wishing to cover up illegal/immoral activity which might be considered commercially sensitive. ASAIK the first was a mining corporation which was dumping toxic chemicals in Bangladesh. The fact they are now used by rich individuals to "protect" their family (which just coincidentally protects their own career) is a by-product.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

nopantsjack posted:

BOTH VOTES (scottish) LABOUR!

Never thought I'd be indirectly voting for Kezia but thanks for making it easy by trying to outflank the SNP from the left xoxo

Do you think they really did that? Seemed like a squabble for the safe centre to me.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Spangly A posted:

my friend is so black the prison guards refused to believe he was native born and moved him to a migrant camp for four days

that'd be kinda funny were it not incredibly racist

I'm a fairly recent migrant and get treated as a native (because I'm white. and good at adopting accents). Unless I have to spell out my first name anyway.

I can sortof see it as an argument behind the id checks. Well not really, but I could if I were a Tory.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Voted Labour/Green in the end; its not like the SNP are going to lose Stirling and throwing a vote Labour's way might send someone some kind of message. I actually didn't know how I'd vote until I actually had the pencil in my hand, its a very odd feeling

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Jedit posted:

Never spoil your ballot, always vote.

How do I choose between the centrist shill wearing a red rosette and the centrist shill wearing a yellow rosette?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Remember, if you do draw willies on the ballot paper, make sure you do it over more than one candidate. The BNP were famous for claiming that swastikas next to their name on the ballot paper were actual votes.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

TinTower posted:

Remember, if you do draw willies on the ballot paper, make sure you do it over more than one candidate. The BNP were famous for claiming that swastikas next to their name on the ballot paper were actual votes.

Just draw one megapenis

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

Just draw one megapenis

They count that as a vote for the Conservatives.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

forkboy84 posted:

Do you think they really did that? Seemed like a squabble for the safe centre to me.

I think Scots-Lab at least threw a bone towards the left with the top earners tax and Nicola's response to it was kinda eye-opening in how it contrasted with her lefty campaigning and confirmed in small part that the SNP are going for centrist consolidation not strong, progressive opposition to austerity.

It was a very minor issue and I don't actually beleive Scots-Lab intends to do it, it was just the first mildly clever goal they scored over the SNP as opposed to the endless own-goals pre-Corbyn Kezia had been scoring.

I was planning to vote Labour this time round after voting for the SNP in the general, just cause Corbyn is my boy and I intend to vote Labour for as long as they aren't neo liberal (e: theres a censor for this? thats stupid. It gets overused because its relevant.) I don't live in england anymore so I can't vote english labour so I'll do the next best thing or else I risk getting Charlotte Church'd.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 5, 2016

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice
I'm trapped just outside of Cambridge enough to be in Tory central, which means whoever I vote for wont get poo poo. 20 meters from Cambridge proper. God drat Fen Ditton. So i'm stuck on voting Corbyn all the way, or spreading the love as it wont matter in my ward.

PCC will be me voting with my usual write in of "No politicisation of the Police Force". Although i may default to Magenta Penis.

I've been thinking about the Greens as a party.

I had a quick look at areas where i hear their policy is stuff i don't like. They still have: EN261 and EN262 against nuclear power
and FA710 onwards that is against GMO. I'm sure there other stuff that would make me baulk, but they seem like a reasonable leftish party. What else do they have that's a policy that might make a reasonable person go "Holy poo poo"?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

Only PCC voting in my part of the world. I don't plan to vote I think the post is a waste of time and money.

I also think it's a waste of time and money but I don't want a tory to start wasting my time and money so I'll go vote.

Kurtofan posted:

I don't think she can vote yet

I'm sure she can draw a willy on the ballot paper.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 5, 2016

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

StoicFnord posted:

I'm trapped just outside of Cambridge enough to be in Tory central, which means whoever I vote for wont get poo poo. 20 meters from Cambridge proper. God drat Fen Ditton. So i'm stuck on voting Corbyn all the way, or spreading the love as it wont matter in my ward.

PCC will be me voting with my usual write in of "No politicisation of the Police Force". Although i may default to Magenta Penis.

I've been thinking about the Greens as a party.

I had a quick look at areas where i hear their policy is stuff i don't like. They still have: EN261 and EN262 against nuclear power
and FA710 onwards that is against GMO. I'm sure there other stuff that would make me baulk, but they seem like a reasonable leftish party. What else do they have that's a policy that might make a reasonable person go "Holy poo poo"?

Their HS2 policy is pretty blatantly "we support it in principle, as long as you don't build it anywhere near Natalie's house".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mehall posted:

How do I choose between the centrist shill wearing a red rosette and the centrist shill wearing a yellow rosette?

I'll tell you in the morning.

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

College Slice

TinTower posted:

Their HS2 policy is pretty blatantly "we support it in principle, as long as you don't build it anywhere near Natalie's house".

Well that's poo poo. I thought HS2 was an attempt to get more money moving up north. Until it got shanked and up north became Birmingham.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

StoicFnord posted:

Well that's poo poo. I thought HS2 was an attempt to get more money moving up north. Until it got shanked and up north became Birmingham.

I dunno about the English Greens. Their Scottish cousins are pretty good. If there's policies that really bother you, like the usual nuclear thing from Green Parties the best thing to do is join them & try to change them from the inside. Because our need to get off fossil fuels grows ever more urgent & the only technology able to fill the gap is fission, so really the choice is "no nuclear & keeping coal & gas or nuclear & weaning off coal & gas". Or something.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
Drawing a cock on my ballot might count towards the greens in my area. Their candidate's name sounded like Dick Veins.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

StoicFnord posted:

its not and it never was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

College Slice

Phoon posted:

its not and it never was

What do you think it was for? Ill admit to a lack of understanding on it.

• Locked thread