Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

The Goatfather posted:

An oven that gets 50 degrees hotter than it's supposed to is a good thing if you ever make pizza, as long as you remember not to burn everything else

Don't ovens go over the set temp by some amount, turn off, and then click back on when the temp has gone below the set temp by some amount? Repeat. So in average you have the set temp, but at any given moment you are always going to be a bit over it under. I wonder if 50° is really that far out of whack....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Don't ovens go over the set temp by some amount, turn off, and then click back on when the temp has gone below the set temp by some amount? Repeat. So in average you have the set temp, but at any given moment you are always going to be a bit over it under. I wonder if 50° is really that far out of whack....

Yeah but this should be 10-15 degrees at most.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

70% whole wheat, 83% hydration, golden raisins and coriander seed per Tartine Bread, the best raisin bread in the world, possibly also the best whole wheat bread in the world

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is it OK to mix raisins into dough just before shaping or does it have to be before the big ferment? Is handling the dough that much just before proofing going to flatten it?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Tartine has mixing the other content after the first fold in a 3-4hr primary ferment.

/e- but yes, you won't want to handle the dough much post primary so you need to mix it in sometime there, before you get to the point where you have to worry about overdeflating the dough.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wookums posted:

Tartine has mixing the other content after the first fold in a 3-4hr primary ferment.

/e- but yes, you won't want to handle the dough much post primary so you need to mix it in sometime there, before you get to the point where you have to worry about overdeflating the dough.

Thanks! Next loaf, then.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mr. Wookums posted:

I don't do everything the Tartine way anymore but this has the roughly same ratios as the Tartine raisin+coriander recipe with 83% hydration and I bulk fermented for 8 hours until roughly doubled and then proofed in the fridge. It's v tasty and still barely comes off as sour

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The Goatfather got me back into baking my own bread awhile back and I actually just realized GWS probably had a bread thread so I came by to do some reading.

There is a lot of great-looking bread in this thread. Unfortunately, I tend to eat most of mine before taking pictures but at some point before I started moving to sourdoughs I used to make really dense whole-wheat sandwich bread and got shots of that. Sometimes, the results are interesting, like when I leave the stand mixer going for 45 minutes until it overheats and still manage to get this:

The 5tbsp of sugar probably helped.

Anyways, I don't have any great and amazing bread pictures to show, but I noticed on the last page or two there was some discussion about feeding intervals for starters and storage and wanted to add my two cents because I am probably one of the worst people at maintaining a starter "properly."

In fall/winter/spring I keep my house at 18C, in the kitchen the thermometer usually reads 16.4C. So the ambient temperature is somewhere in the mid 60s F.

I am horrible at remembering to feed my starter every day, and as a result I usually don't. I also store it uncovered in the cupboard above my fridge:

This was it about 20 minutes ago:

The story here is the jar I normally keep it in was getting really crusty and I was starting to get concerned about mould (not that there was any) so I dumped half in this pot and fed it. Then I forgot to feed it for two and a half days.

The krausen has formed a dried crust on top of the liquor that seals off the starter from the air. This is not the first time this has happened and maybe a faint doughy smell eminates from the starter at this point. My feeding procedure once this happens is to pull off the crust, and mix the alcoholic-smelling liquor back into the starter. All my nose detects at this point is alcohol and flour, not a hint of acidity. After that, I feed as normal, discard half, and eyeball roughly a cup of water and a cup of flour, probably a little less than that for each.

You should be able to have a good idea of the consistency of the starter based upon the stuff on the sides of the jar, not dough-like at all, just a viscous fluid.

Past experience has shown me that if I go look at it in a few hours, it will be vigourously going to town on the flour and develop a strong acidic note as well as thicken significantly. That crust doesn't start forming until day 2; after the liquor, which is initially fairly dark, has finished seperating out. The longest I've gone is 4 days and it took about 10 minutes to "wake up" when I fed it.

E: i r english gud.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 6, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You may want to consider keeping it in the fridge. Feeding every four to a week works well.

My ancetdote is 60-70 and I feed every morning, Friday night with an extra feed for Saturday baking. I fridge it if I won't be able to do the next weekend bake and forget about it for 10 days or so.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I would consider it, but even on a every 2-3 day feeding schedule, within 5 hours of a feed my starter seems to be happy and the sour smell has returned:

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I need to scale a couple recipes so they'll work in a 9x5 inch loaf pan instead of an 8.5x4.5. Based on the two sizes in the recipe on the back of the King Arthur Flour bag, it looks like I can just multiply everything by like 1.5? Does that sound right?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

you ate my cat posted:

I need to scale a couple recipes so they'll work in a 9x5 inch loaf pan instead of an 8.5x4.5. Based on the two sizes in the recipe on the back of the King Arthur Flour bag, it looks like I can just multiply everything by like 1.5? Does that sound right?

1.18 actually. Just use (8.5*4.5)/(8.5*4.5) to get your scaling factor. :eng101:

(Though of course you'll probably have to round to the nearest egg or something)

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 11, 2016

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Can any of your fine flour artisans tell me whether it's possible to get a dishwasher safe (preferably stainless steel) dough hook for a KitchenAid Artisan? The current one's paint has started flaking.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

foxatee posted:

The place itself is rad as gently caress, don't get me wrong. But the only time I can make a trip is on weekends. Have you been on a weekend? gently caress that. It's like trying to get to the mall on the last shopping weekend at Christmas. So I'd rather avoid going for one ingredient.

My family goes exclusively on weekends. Go in the mid to late evening or early in the day.

Speaking of, I snagged some barley syrup there today and I'm planning on trying my hand at bagel making again on Sunday. I am excited!!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I made hamburger buns today for the first time with great success. Only (slight) issue was that the bottom got slightly burned. I cooked them on parchment paper, which I thought would have helped. Any ideas how to prevent this in the future?

I used this recipe called 40 Minute Hamburger Buns. They were super easy. I followed the instructions except for the salt and sugar. I mixed those into the flour before adding to the yeast and oil.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

shelf them further away from the heat element, assuming a bottom heat or use a butter or egg wash to promote faster browning on top. If you have a stone that should be in there even though you don't place the pan on it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've had great results from the overight blonde/brown recipes from FWSY but I've had a couple of times where I pull the dough out of the tub and it's like the bottom half has turned to porridge and lost its tension so if dividing/shaping don't go just right and I don't keep it all contained in the intact top/side membranes until it's shaped it all disentigrates into a puddle of bubbly batter when I look at it funny. Am I doing my last turns/folds too early, or am i somehow underdeveloping? Bulk fermenting too long maybe? I've had better luck when I divide and shape a bit earlier than the book recommends but I'm not exceeding the recipe I don't think.

It's driving me nuts because, as I've said, I've made it before repeatedly and it usually behaves fine and makes awesome bread. My procedure hasn't changed :argh: i just threw away 2kg worth of dough about it. loving punk rear end bread

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 18, 2016

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

The Goatfather posted:

I've had great results from the overight blonde/brown recipes from FWSY but I've had a couple of times where I pull the dough out of the tub and it's like the bottom half has turned to porridge and lost its tension so if dividing/shaping don't go just right and I don't keep it all contained in the intact top/side membranes until it's shaped it all disentigrates into a puddle of bubbly batter when I look at it funny. Am I doing my last turns/folds too early, or am i somehow underdeveloping? Bulk fermenting too long maybe? I've had better luck when I divide and shape a bit earlier than the book recommends but I'm not exceeding the recipe I don't think.

It's driving me nuts because, as I've said, I've made it before repeatedly and it usually behaves fine and makes awesome bread. My procedure hasn't changed :argh: i just threw away 2kg worth of dough about it. loving punk rear end bread

The only time this happened to me it was because I messed up the hydration level of the levain the morning before. Any chance that could have been what happened?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mr. Glass posted:

The only time this happened to me it was because I messed up the hydration level of the levain the morning before. Any chance that could have been what happened?

Nope, I weigh everything and I'd have noticed mixing by hand if the ratio was off.

I found some descriptions of over-fermented dough in a fresh loaf post that more or less match my experience, which confirms my suspicion I guess. I had an eye on it the whole time and I thought the volume was where it should ahve been.

I'll give it another shot tomorrow and divide it earlier.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004
Yeah over-fermented for sure. I've had similar experiences using too much water too. I don't measure water, just flours and starter, actually doing an autolyse step has helped a lot to see how wet the dough will be since when its first mixed it's kind of hard to see before all the water is fully absorbed or whatever is going on :science:

It's rare that I do much kneading since I do the bulk ferment overnight in most cases so I'll do maybe a couple stretch folds an hour after mixing but that's it. But this weekend I made the dough in the AM and stretch folded throughout the day, best crumb I've had in like 5 years of doing sourdough

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
forgot i never updated the thread on my burnt crust situation -- i tried the sugar test, and my oven appears to be spot on temperature wise. so i tried the temperature drop: preheat to 475, drop to 425 after putting the loaf in the oven. came out pretty much perfect. thanks for the advice, everyone!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Hi Bread Thread. I made a bread today. Followed the Happy Hat Classic from here/the wiki:

Happy Hat posted:

There you have your basic bread - this recipe is about :

50g of active yeast or 1 package of dry yeast
30g sugar
1kg flour
30g salt

Hydrate as you wish..

But scaled down to 700g flour since that was all the bread flour I had left and :effort: to go to the store. 60ish% hydration, a little too tacky for my taste for handling, but I got it into the oven without issue. Looked lovely if not as browned as my first attempt despite a few extra minutes in the oven (and baked on a pizza stone), but it was horrendously over-salty. Even buttered, it was basically unedible

First attempt at bread was two days ago. Smaller loaf that was some vague attempt at italian bread, 500g flour, 50-55% hydration but with milk and olive oil in the mix. Looked lovely, crust was thin but crisp, but it was under-salted resulting in blandness and the olive oil gave it a slight off scent. Toasting it fixed that. Baked in a cast iron pan since I couldn't find the pizza stone, worked a charm other than the pan smoking to high hell at 450 degrees, had to run a table fan pointed at the window to keep the kitchen from being hotboxed.

Bread #1 was undersalted, Bread #2 was over-salted. One packet of yeast left, third time's a charm!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I had better luck on the redux but I think I still let it go a bit long since one of the boules got sticky and was all too happy to rip and deflate a bit during preshaping (lately I shape in 2 stages with a bench rest in between per this video).

That's actually the one that gave me problems; it still came out looking great but a little flat. The other one shaped and handled like a charm and sprung much better and would have been really photogenic but it stuck a bit coming out of the banneton and ended up looking pretty :downs: (I just got a pair of bannetons for my birthday in april and they're still being a bit temperamental)

e: it's FWSY overnight country brown, except all day instead of overnight

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 19, 2016

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

The Goatfather posted:

I had better luck on the redux but I think I still let it go a bit long since one of the boules got sticky and was all too happy to rip and deflate a bit during preshaping (lately I shape in 2 stages with a bench rest in between per this video).

That's actually the one that gave me problems; it still came out looking great but a little flat. The other one shaped and handled like a charm and sprung much better and would have been really photogenic but it stuck a bit coming out of the banneton and ended up looking pretty :downs: (I just got a pair of bannetons for my birthday in april and they're still being a bit temperamental)

e: it's FWSY overnight country brown, except all day instead of overnight

How long did you bake that for? It definitely sounds like the dough may be a bit overfermented. For non-sticking your bannetons, get some rice flour and mix it 50/50 with regular flour. Use that to flour your bannetons and your pre-shaped loaves; it should take care of the problem.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mikey Purp posted:

How long did you bake that for? It definitely sounds like the dough may be a bit overfermented. For non-sticking your bannetons, get some rice flour and mix it 50/50 with regular flour. Use that to flour your bannetons and your pre-shaped loaves; it should take care of the problem.

40 mins in a Dutch oven, 20 with the top on. I'm using a rice flour blend in the bannetons already, I think they just need to season a bit

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

raisin bread again!

I dusted the shaped boules and the baskets very well with the rice flour blend and they were still a bit reluctant to come out of the bannetons, had to give them a good tap and a few seconds to release onto the counter, but they still came out clean so no harm done :confuoot:

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Question for all you breadgoons: I made soda bread last night (only the second ever attempt), flavoured with honey and rosemary. It's nice, but there is a strange after-taste. My first soda bread was garlic flavoured - a friend swore by it - and it had the same after-taste. I thought it might have been either the garlic or something I'd done wrong, but could it be the bicarb? I only use a teaspoon. Buttermilk never seems to be in stock round here so I use a milk/vinegar mix, but the taste isn't an acidic vinegary one. Or is that how soda bread is meant to be? It probably sounds really dumb but I'd never eaten it before I baked it.

This is the thread that inspired me to start baking bread, using a pre-made 'just add water!' mix and a lot of elbow grease to start with. Now I've got a little more confident I've started playing around with the flavours. Thanks to everyone who has posted here, you've taught me so much :)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Lady Demelza posted:

Question for all you breadgoons: I made soda bread last night (only the second ever attempt), flavoured with honey and rosemary. It's nice, but there is a strange after-taste. My first soda bread was garlic flavoured - a friend swore by it - and it had the same after-taste. I thought it might have been either the garlic or something I'd done wrong, but could it be the bicarb? I only use a teaspoon. Buttermilk never seems to be in stock round here so I use a milk/vinegar mix, but the taste isn't an acidic vinegary one. Or is that how soda bread is meant to be? It probably sounds really dumb but I'd never eaten it before I baked it.

This is the thread that inspired me to start baking bread, using a pre-made 'just add water!' mix and a lot of elbow grease to start with. Now I've got a little more confident I've started playing around with the flavours. Thanks to everyone who has posted here, you've taught me so much :)

Was it kind of a metallic taste? If so, that's probably the aluminum. There are a few brands of baking powder that don't contain aluminum; Rumford is the standard one.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Banneton / brotform questions:

New baker, about 8 recipes / 20ish batches in ("Sourdough" by Sarah Owens :swoon:), so time to invest in some equipment because :homebrew:

• 8" or 10"? I'm using a 10" glass bowl right now but some cursory reading says the narrower 8" might give a better shape. FYI the picture below was not done in a bowl at all, which might be why it's extremely thin.
  • Round or oval? I've only done rounds, so what is the advantage of ovals?
  • Is there any difference between a $30 banneton and a $15 one?

One of my earliest attempts, which I turned into an experiment:

Same dough, split in two. Left was baked on a preheated pizza stone, with just one spritz of water at the beginning, and my scoring the top wasn't good enough (it puffed up like a pillow). Right was baked in a preheated enameled dutch oven with lid and no spritzed water. Since I had to preheat the dutch oven, and it went second, the dough got an extra hour or so of proofing.

I'm glad to say my more recent attempts have had a much better shape, but I don't have pictures of those.

Edit: also, lames. Expensive, holds blade straight, or cheap, curves the blade? I don't care about tool aesthetics, but do they cut differently?

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 24, 2016

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

Banneton / brotform questions:
  • 8" or 10"? I'm using a 10" glass bowl right now but some cursory reading says the narrower 8" might give a better shape. FYI the picture below was not done in a bowl at all, which might be why it's extremely thin.

Depends on how much dough you're making per batch, but you'll probably be fine with either. My loaves are about 850g a piece and I'm very happy with my 8" bannetons.

• Round or oval? I've only done rounds, so what is the advantage of ovals?

No real advantage, just different shapes. If you are primarily making boules in a Dutch Oven, go with round. If you use stones with a jury rigged steam setup and you want to try bloomer/batard shapes, an oval banneton would be useful.

• Is there any difference between a $30 banneton and a $15 one?

I've never used anything other than my cheap $10 a pop bannetons, but I really doubt it. I guess if you care about made in USA or made in Germany vs. made in China, but other than that... also, if you have a World Market store near you, I've seen cheap bannetons there.

• Edit: also, lames. Expensive, holds blade straight, or cheap, curves the blade? I don't care about tool aesthetics, but do they cut differently?

I recommend ordering this one from Weekend Bakery. It's stupid simple but still allows you to mount the razor blade straight or on a curve. I think mine came to like $12 including international shipping. I find that a curved blade is better for scoring at an angle when you want "ears" (think baguettes) and a straight blade is better for scoring boules where you are scoring at a 90* angle to the dough.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 24, 2016

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I found the dutch oven to be a significant step up from a pizza stone/oven steaming hyjinx. To that end I'd say stick to round bannetons unless you really want to do batards for some reason.

As for lames, I eventually settled on a wooden skewer split down the middle and fed through a razorblade and it's totally adequate :shobon:

Honestly my favorite bread accessories are my cambro tubs for the bread and levain. Compared to my bowls the thermal properties are great, I don't have to worry about dough reaching the top and sticking, there's plenty of space for the dough to relax after folds, and it's v easy to see exactly what % it has risen.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Was it kind of a metallic taste? If so, that's probably the aluminum. There are a few brands of baking powder that don't contain aluminum; Rumford is the standard one.

Hadn't thought of that. Thanks, next time I'll try a different brand.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
With pizza stone/steam set-ups, you'll get a better oven spring if you use a large stainless steel bowl to cover your dough during the first 20 or so minutes of bake. When I bake, I slide my dough onto a baking steel, pour hot water into an old pan that I keep on my lower rack, AND use a big bowl or steam pan to cover. When you combine all three of these elements, I find it better than using a Dutch oven.

Big roasting pan lids or steam pans are great if you then want to venture into making batards or other shapes.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

mich posted:

With pizza stone/steam set-ups, you'll get a better oven spring if you use a large stainless steel bowl to cover your dough during the first 20 or so minutes of bake. When I bake, I slide my dough onto a baking steel, pour hot water into an old pan that I keep on my lower rack, AND use a big bowl or steam pan to cover. When you combine all three of these elements, I find it better than using a Dutch oven.

Big roasting pan lids or steam pans are great if you then want to venture into making batards or other shapes.

Yup, while I use the Dutch oven more often than not for convenience sake, I've found that you can do just as good if not better with stones and a large metal bowl. I also use the towel trick, which is awesome.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
I still can't form a loaf after a no knead first ferment. Sourdough or not. Beer, whisky, sausage, all these I can make but bread is voodoo. How do you guys keep the faith when doubt creeps in?

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

DontAskKant posted:

I still can't form a loaf after a no knead first ferment. Sourdough or not. Beer, whisky, sausage, all these I can make but bread is voodoo. How do you guys keep the faith when doubt creeps in?

Looking back at my experience starting out my advice would be don't worry about being super aggro with hydration. It's ok to use a little less water than most of these recipes suggest, like FWSY etc. Yeah high hydration breads are awesome but I think they can be more error prone for beginners. You have to work a bit more on gluten development/shaping/etc, moving the shaped dough around can be a pain because its sticky, easier (IMO) to over-proof.

For shaping I do like the FWSY method where you try to keep the bench mostly unfloured and just flour your hands and pull the dough towards you letting it stick to the bench a bit. Gives it a really nice tense outer skin that helps it keep its shape and move it around more easily.

I have bannetons but I usually don't use them, instead I just let it rise on a piece of parchment paper. Before I put it in the dutch oven I'll cut it out and leave some handles, makes it a lot easier to drop it in.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

DontAskKant posted:

i found this video from the FWSY dude to be super helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPdedk9gJLQ&t=128s

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

DontAskKant posted:

get drunk so you move with false bravado. Quick movements with the scraper are key.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Mr. Glass posted:

i found this video from the FWSY dude to be super helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPdedk9gJLQ&t=128s

All of his videos are excellent, at least for the FWYS method(s). As a complete noob, I had much more success with FWYS (the book) plus these videos than with the other book I used (BBA).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Trying to understand how to control yeast comes and goes. The thought of a good version fermenting in my cabinet sparks fluidity I do not have.