Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
please let us join somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Ross Angeles posted:

The MWC should be a pretty big deal in 25 years if football lasts that long.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ross Angeles posted:

Should have planned long term and located yourself higher above sea level.

Delaney was definitely factoring in climate change with the "plan for the next hundred years."

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Sash! posted:

They did, and then they said "nope" to the American

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Toilet Mouth posted:

The MWC should be a pretty big deal in 25 years if football lasts that long.

MWC was on track to being a pretty big deal a decade ago but instead they just got raided of some teams and had others fall off.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Thoguh posted:

MWC was on track to being a pretty big deal a decade ago but instead they just got raided of some teams and had others fall off.

Yeah, even if they just still had Utah and BYU (TCU was never going to stay forever), they'd be pretty salty, or that would at least be the perception.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Toilet Mouth posted:

Where are the votes going to come from for this to happen? How do you talk Baylor, TCU, Tech, Iowa State, the Kansas schools, anybody really, into this being in their best interests?

OU is dead set on expansion for whatever reason, and I'm sure WVU would like a couple of travel partners; but other than that I don't see where the support is coming from.

Err, the current vote is 7 for expansion, 3 against. TCU and Tech are the only minor schools against expansion.

Ross Angeles posted:

Think you could relocate a few hundred miles closer to Lubbock? At least to the Mountain Time Zone?

(seriously, if it weren't for the whole two time zone difference travel issues thing, I'd be all for it).

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'll fully confess to being ignorant of the details, so maybe others can help me out, but why would the Big 12 want Cincy or Tulane or any of these other mid-tier candidates being bandied about? Expansion for the sake of expansion just seems short-sighted to me.

Reminds me of when the Pac-10 had this grand Pac-16 vision, but that whole deal fell through so they said "gently caress it" and grabbed Utah and Colorado just so they can say they did something. Yeah we got the conference title game, but now we're stuck with two programs who don't really bring much to the table beyond "hey, Denver and Salt Lake markets, we think."

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Well with Colorado at least I'm sure there was some hope they could go back to some semblance of what they were from 85-2002 or so (or through most of their history really). I mean that's a historically, well not great, but pretty good program.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Utah's put up some good records in recent seasons. They seem like a decent addition to the conference.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I want Tulane so bad. Totally cool with the Big 12 dropping the round robin if Tulane gets in.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Benne posted:

I'll fully confess to being ignorant of the details, so maybe others can help me out, but why would the Big 12 want Cincy or Tulane or any of these other mid-tier candidates being bandied about? Expansion for the sake of expansion just seems short-sighted to me.

Reminds me of when the Pac-10 had this grand Pac-16 vision, but that whole deal fell through so they said "gently caress it" and grabbed Utah and Colorado just so they can say they did something. Yeah we got the conference title game, but now we're stuck with two programs who don't really bring much to the table beyond "hey, Denver and Salt Lake markets, we think."

You can ask why the BIG added Rutgers and Maryland aside from NYC & DC markets. TVs and TVs thus more :10bux:

Pac-10 expansion to 12 really did leave with UT & CO as the only 2 real options that brought in new TVs and had some backing. UT has been a pretty decent team. CO is really taking time to adapt at least in football.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

I want Tulane so bad. Totally cool with the Big 12 dropping the round robin if Tulane gets in.

What does Tulane bring besides academics and an excuse to travel to New Orleans?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

What does Tulane bring besides academics and an excuse to travel to New Orleans?

A game Texas can probably win :iamafag:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

New Orleans market and easier Louisiana recruiting.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

A really dope mascot

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
The Big XII definitely made a mistake by not adding Louisville when they could have. I don't think the ACC raid was really on the table, it was being floated by FSU and Clemson as leverage to get what they want.

The Big XII should definitely add BYU and Houston, and are too shortsighted to go for Houston. There isn't another candidate that makes sense unless SMU can somehow turn it around.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Kim Jong Il posted:

The Big XII definitely made a mistake by not adding Louisville when they could have. I don't think the ACC raid was really on the table, it was being floated by FSU and Clemson as leverage to get what they want.

The Big XII should definitely add BYU and Houston, and are too shortsighted to go for Houston. There isn't another candidate that makes sense unless SMU can somehow turn it around.

Houston adds nothing to the conference, just like TCU. Houston's media influence is limited to the city of Houston itself as they don't have a very widespread or very sports-oriented alumni base, and the Big XII already has a very strong hold on that market. Even during last year's great run, they struggled to fill their stadium. They would actively detract from the existing Big XII programs because they can recruit as a Big XII team, effectively locking TTU, Baylor and TCU out of the city of Houston and competing with UT as the hometown team.

The only compelling reason to invite Houston is to keep a conference like the ACC from inviting Houston instead.

The Big XII should have invited Louisville when they had the chance. Instead we got TCU. Meh.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
It really is funny how vehemently Tech/TCU/Baylor fans oppose UH. Scared?? :clint:

My ideal expansion is go to 14 and add Cinci, UH, UCF, and USF. You get a travel partner for WVU and into the Ohio market, get into the Tampa/Orlando markets and add two schools with huge potential, and solidify your hold on the Houston market and add a program with a pretty good history in football/basketball/baseball.

KIM JONG TRILL fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 5, 2016

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

It really is funny how vehemently Tech/TCU/Baylor fans oppose UH. Scared?? :clint:

My ideal expansion is go to 14 and add Cinci, UH, UCF, and USF. You get a travel partner for WVU and into the Ohio market, get into the Tampa/Orlando markets and add two schools with huge potential, and solidify your hold on the Houston market and add a program with a pretty good history in football/basketball/baseball.

Sure, they're a monster in waiting. Last time they had money and a major conference? They picked up a Heisman and broke a bunch of records. I don't want anything to do with them.

And, again, the Big XII doesn't need to touch Houston until the ACC starts sniffing around the program. There's no compelling reason to add both USF and UCF. Cincinnati is the 4th most popular school in their own city.

Frankly, there are no good options. Everyone out there is a compromise.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

So like, you said an excuse to travel to New Orleans, but then there's a question mark after it like you're looking for more. I don't follow at all.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
My personal opinion, which I have stated before, is that the Big 12 should go Big 14. It's the era of the super-conference, and if the Big Ten can get away with adding Rutgers, anything's on the table. Three schools north of the 36th parallel, one school south of the 36th parallel.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

CaptainYesterday posted:

My personal opinion, which I have stated before, is that the Big 12 should go Big 14. It's the era of the super-conference, and if the Big Ten can get away with adding Rutgers, anything's on the table. Three schools north of the 36th parallel, one school south of the 36th parallel.

My thought is it's either go whole hog or get out.

So stay at 10 and wait until the GoR expires to see what happens with the ACC/Pac-12 to make an SEC-level conference or invite 6 of BYU, Colorado State, Tulane, Memphis, Cincinnati, UCF, Temple, UConn, ECU, or hell, Georgia Southern or some poo poo and go all the way to 16 with a more Big Ten or ACC-like conference.

No UH, though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kayakyakr posted:

Cincinnati is the 4th most popular school in their own city.

I'm assuming you mean state, otherwise I'm going to need you to list these off for me. Xavier Football would be a big get I'm sure, they're undefeated since 1973.

If I were the Big 12 and had it to do over again I'd grab Louisville, Cinci, and WVU back when the conference almost died. And if there was ever anything at all to the FSU/GT rumors I would have been all over that poo poo begging them to come.

e: I agree Houston is a useless add for the Big 12

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 5, 2016

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

David Boren is the guy pushing expansion the most and he honestly probably cares about academics just as much as athletics, if not even more so. The Big 12 got raided of two of its better academic institutions during the last round of realignment, and he wants something to fill the gap (which is also why he'd never support BYU).

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Grittybeard posted:

I'm assuming you mean state, otherwise I'm going to need you to list these off for me.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-map.html#10,39.114,-84.432

Try to find a zip code on the city of Cincinnati where the team even shows up.

Hint: people root for teams from outside of the state they're currently in.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I suppose I was reading that as 'fourth most popular school actually in the city of Cincinnati.' Point taken now.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

kayakyakr posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/03/upshot/ncaa-football-map.html#10,39.114,-84.432

Yeah dude I'm sure there are more Michigan fans in Cincy than Bearcat fans when they routinely draw 40k for their games. That map sure seems reasonable.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Didn't even crack 4% in the actual zip code of the university despite having a top 50 enrollment nationally :sad:. Cincy just loves the loving Wolverines so much

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Goetta posted:

Didn't even crack 4% in the actual zip code of the university despite having a top 50 enrollment nationally :sad:. Cincy just loves the loving Wolverines so much

It's a very inspecific methodology, sure, but it also shows a either a disinterested fanbase or a terrible social media presence. 40k for a game shouldn't be too hard with an MSA of 2.2 million people.

I'd love to see an updated version of that map as social media penetration increases to see if the representation changes at all.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It sucks

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

kayakyakr posted:

Sure, they're a monster in waiting. Last time they had money and a major conference? They picked up a Heisman and broke a bunch of records. I don't want anything to do with them.

At least you're honest I guess.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

That's a lot of dead weight to add just to have a conference championship game. The markets are okay in theory, but it the cable bubble is really about to burst it's not going to mean much.

I'm stealing this talking point from this week's Shutdown Fullcast, but once the cable package as we know it bites the dust the conference's value is going to swing back to being tied more to just how much fans want to watch it. Quality, not quantity. If that's the case, they may be best suited just taking Houston and BYU, because they're good at sports and can probably be counted on to be good at sports going forward.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 5, 2016

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

kayakyakr posted:

Please, nobody look at Georgia Tech in this map.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

kayakyakr posted:

Houston adds nothing to the conference, just like TCU. Houston's media influence is limited to the city of Houston itself as they don't have a very widespread or very sports-oriented alumni base, and the Big XII already has a very strong hold on that market. Even during last year's great run, they struggled to fill their stadium. They would actively detract from the existing Big XII programs because they can recruit as a Big XII team, effectively locking TTU, Baylor and TCU out of the city of Houston and competing with UT as the hometown team.

The only compelling reason to invite Houston is to keep a conference like the ACC from inviting Houston instead.

The Big XII should have invited Louisville when they had the chance. Instead we got TCU. Meh.

I know this will never happen, but do what's loving right for once, they should be there.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Sash! posted:

Delaney was definitely factoring in climate change with the "plan for the next hundred years."

Pretty much ever California city besides Sacramento is mostly built a decent way above sea level. It's Florida that's already done.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bip Roberts posted:

It's Florida that's already done.

:smithcloud:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

kayakyakr posted:

Not clicking that but if it goes by social media a looooot of the fans are old.

That said, in Cinci the most popular team is whoever is playing tOSU.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bip Roberts posted:

Pretty much ever California city besides Sacramento is mostly built a decent way above sea level. It's Florida that's already done.

I consulted flooding projections and San Diego is in pretty bad shape once everything that drives their economy is under 10 feet of water!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

There's infighting at Oklahoma over potential Big 12 expansion

So apparently even the OU regents don't have Boren's back on this, if this is to be believed. His one-man crusade for expansion just makes less and less sense, I have no feel for what his angle is here.

• Locked thread