Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Elfgames posted:

How are more people not talking about ghost? This is probably the best rider series since W (i didn't watch drive so maybe that was better i dunno)

Ghost and Drive are both very good, and I'm happy I stuck with Ghost, mostly because the side cast is REALLY FUN.

Drive is, I think? One of my pal's favorite KRs, or at least high up there, and it's very well worth a watch! I would also give problems to Gaim, but even though Urobuchi front ran it, it DOES have writing problems here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Drive was really great, and Ghost is shaping up to be really good too. Onari is quickly becoming one of my favorite side characters. He started as a pure comic relief character but lately there's been a little bit more depth peeking through.

Watch Decade early, it gives you an overview of the previous series and showcases what's important: The Suits and the Fights. From there, you can watch the series that correspond to the riders you liked in Decade.

Faiz in Decade was better than his own turd of a show.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Drive and Ghost both have somewhat weak protagonists. But the secondary riders and villains in Drive are amazing, while in Ghost the human supporting cast are the best characters.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Should be noted that you'll have to deal with bad subs for the shows between Agito and W.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh, I hadn't realized that agito has decent subs. I'll have to look into that.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

You want Gomenrider's, though finding a batch might be a pain.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Motto posted:

i'm like 90% sure i linked it in the op

edit its not but http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=701068

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

http://comicbook.com/2016/05/05/power-rangers-movie-suits-revealed/

I...huh. Not sure what to think here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They look more like Kamen Riders to me.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Wow. Talk about over-designed.

Those are ugly as gently caress.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

I'm just going to point this out:

Our heroines have platform heels and molded boob armor on their martial arts "super" suits.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Acne Rain posted:

I've enjoyed everything from W to Ghost except Wizard... but I've found the pre W series harder to get into.
Even Kuuga, which I mostly found boring despite everyone else loving it. I did get halfway through Ryuki, though, and plan to finish it eventually. I'd recommend finishing Fourze and Drive first at least (Drive is really, really good), as well as Gaim (an imperfect series but one worth watching).

I do like Amazons a whole lot, though, and it's extremely different from these modern riders or sentai, so it just might be my whims.

I might be able to explain why. Amazons is a lot like Kuuga in tone and style, just with more dynamic main characters and, most importantly- Pacing.

Amazons only has 11 episodes so its pacing is MUCH faster than any of the Pre Decade Heisei Series. It gets to do a lot more, faster.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Motto posted:

Nah, it took me like 30 seconds to find it on nyaa. I must have overlooked it when I was going through the non-tvn shows, is all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

I'm just going to point this out:

Our heroines have platform heels and molded boob armor on their martial arts "super" suits.

To be fair they did that the last time they tried this too.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
those look better than trying to replicate a design from 1994 tbh

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
The thing that bugs me about them is that they push a lot of the defining elements of the zyuranger costumes to the background in lieu of elements seen in modern western superheroes: accenting instead of contrast, techno-organic imagery, and so on.

The only thing the old costumes really kept as a primary design element were the sculpted lips, which I found terrible to begin with.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Ghost continues to get better. I still remember when Alain was just this random villain and I couldn't care less about him.

They've done a really good job developing him, because he might be my favorite character right now, though his Driver's awesome voice is definitely a factor.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
https://twitter.com/aloadofhupla/status/728237031529299968

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I rewatched the last ep of Fourze on a whim, and daaaamn the graduation scene. :unsmith:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Literally The Worst posted:

those look better than trying to replicate a design from 1994 tbh

That's wrong though? Like Toei's shown you can do really cool modernization of old goofy outfits and still have them look good and similar to the original design.

V3 to V3 The Next is a much better version of what these designs are trying to do.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They're just so over designed and the color balance is completely hosed.

One of my favorite thing about the Zyu suits was how perfect the color balance was.

Here, there is no uniformity to their colors at all. Red has white, Yellow and Pink have chrome(?), Black has a really dark gray and Blue is...blue. The colors are also just kind of slap dashed around so even if the actual design of the armors looked nice, it still doesn't work out. White would have done wonders for balancing out the Black Ranger's suit, instead he just kind of looks really drab and his helmet is impossible to pick any real details out of.

The chest light presents an interesting IDEA, that the power is coming from inside of them- but they don't do anything with that. A much smarter idea would have been to put the morphers there instead. These suits do not have belts, and it would have given them a reason to have glowing chests. Instead now they have glowing chests and glowing groins.

I don't know. I really want to see the physical versions of these suits and what they look like in motion, because that can make or break a suit like this, but almost nothing about what we see works for me. I'm glad they kept the helmets though.

Personally, I would have just remade the original suits into something like what Deadpool had- not spandex, but a thicker material good for stuntwork. Update the design, streamline some of the more 90s things, but keep it simple and easy to work with. It's a Power Rangers movie, people know what they're getting into from the title alone.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The chest lights look like they take up an awful lot of chest space, too. Like there's a big void under the surface there. Please don't tell me the suits are drones that they pilot or something dumb like that.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Burkion posted:

Personally, I would have just remade the original suits into something like what Deadpool had- not spandex, but a thicker material good for stuntwork. Update the design, streamline some of the more 90s things, but keep it simple and easy to work with. It's a Power Rangers movie, people know what they're getting into from the title alone.

I agree that Go-Busterized suits would be pretty cool.

This really just goes to show how much of a garbage man Saban is, IMO.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Light Gun Man posted:

The chest lights look like they take up an awful lot of chest space, too. Like there's a big void under the surface there. Please don't tell me the suits are drones that they pilot or something dumb like that.

The EW article says that the suits sort of crystallize out of our heroes. It might not be a stretch to assume that the suits are basically part of the person itself, like a second skin. Hence why its very form fitting, even to the point of different shaped helmets, and the very crystalline morphers attached to the midsection.

We'll probably learn more in the next article they put out. There will be new pictures at the very least.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair they did that the last time they tried this too.

that still looks better than this new poo poo, if just cheap. no high heels and the boob armor is hardly more pronounced than the boy pecs, while the new thing is just ohboy

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Potsticker posted:

I was with you until here at the very end, so here's some words on Decade on why a person might want to give it a try or skip it.

First off, it's a shorter series than most. Only about 30 episodes rather than the normal length of 50. It's a sort of anniversary show that sort of visits the previous nine Rider series (And eventually a couple of older classic series) in these Alternate Reality worlds. Now Decade has two major sins and if you're going to skip it or dislike it, it'll probably be for one of these reasons. The first one, and probably the worst, is that it does a terrible job with all the series that it's supposed to be celebrating. None of the AR worlds are really anything more than vaguely similar to the series they represent with similarly named characters, but the main characters all have these debilitating problems so that Decade can swoop in and fix things. It's really kind of horrible.

The second is that Decade has no plot. Or rather, the plot makes no sense. It sets up the premise well enough to get things rolling, but by the end of the series and the movies you're left with no resolution and a lot of contradictory information. Eventually they even make fun of this, but that doesn't make it any better. But despite these things, Decade has one of the best casts of characters. The main character, the heroine, and the secondary rider all really shine and are absolutely fabulous in their roles. They have great chemistry with each other and when the plot for an episode is mediocre it still feels worth watching. The music, the costumes, the belts, it's all great.

I enjoyed the heck out of because Kadoya Tsukasa is a giant rear end in a top hat to everyone. If you're going to watch it, I almost recommend the TVN subs because their goonish way of translating sometimes also feels like a perfect match for Tsukasa and Kaitoh.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Wow the sound editing seemed really bad on this latest episode of Ghost, Grandma Fumi sounded like she was talking through her scarf at a couple of points, and the Dark Spectre transformation theme was fighting pretty hard with the background music in that last part.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Wow the sound editing seemed really bad on this latest episode of Ghost, Grandma Fumi sounded like she was talking through her scarf at a couple of points, and the Dark Spectre transformation theme was fighting pretty hard with the background music in that last part.

yeah I felt weird about Grandma's stuff too, I wasn't sure if it was being intentionally distorted or what because it was hosed up. And Deep Spectre did kind of get drowned out by explosions.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Sounded like they couldn't pick her up on the boom mike so they put a lavalier on her and hid it under the scarf...and then it still got muffled. :negative:

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Man, gently caress Shroud. She's like one of those moms who are all "no, you're not good enough for my son, he has to date the person I picked out for him". Except gayer, so I guess that's no so bad. If she's not even gonna explain what her deal is, Phillip shouldn't be listening to her so much.

Everyone throws Shotaro under the bus way too quick though. Like goddamn Phillip, he's supposes to be your boyfriend and you left him to walk in the rain all angsty like because he wasn't performing well. I get you might wanna be a Double team with someone as "cool" as Terui, but c'mon dude. This isn't an open relationship. But they had an Xtreme consummation, so whatever.

Though I loving love that Phillip sees Shhotaro and goes "oh poo poo that's his reckless face, he's gonna do something dumb". You gay nerds.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Philip's entire family were awful people and that would likely have remained true even if they never found gaia memories. Shroud wasn't using any, and she still tried to use Philip as a weapon against her husband.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I love the bit where Terui uses the Cyclone memory in the Engineblade though.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

nerdman42 posted:

Man, gently caress Shroud. She's like one of those moms who are all "no, you're not good enough for my son, he has to date the person I picked out for him". Except gayer, so I guess that's no so bad. If she's not even gonna explain what her deal is, Phillip shouldn't be listening to her so much.

Everyone throws Shotaro under the bus way too quick though. Like goddamn Phillip, he's supposes to be your boyfriend and you left him to walk in the rain all angsty like because he wasn't performing well. I get you might wanna be a Double team with someone as "cool" as Terui, but c'mon dude. This isn't an open relationship. But they had an Xtreme consummation, so whatever.

Though I loving love that Phillip sees Shhotaro and goes "oh poo poo that's his reckless face, he's gonna do something dumb". You gay nerds.

Holy poo poo, you're already up to Xtreme?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
so i work at a comic store and we have a guy who imports a bunch of kaiju poo poo and we sell it for him on consignment anyway he's gonna give me a sweetheart deal on a bunch of weird kamen rider poo poo that he can't flip, #swag

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Some Numbers posted:

Holy poo poo, you're already up to Xtreme?

With final wrapped up, I have all the time in the world.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Philip's entire family were awful people and that would likely have remained true even if they never found gaia memories. Shroud wasn't using any, and she still tried to use Philip as a weapon against her husband.

Wait is Shroud actually Phillip's mom? Because if I accidentally stumbled onto a spoiler, that's the funniest mistake I've ever made.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Holy poo poo, you're already up to :pcgaming:XTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEME:pcgaming:?

fixed

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Thank you.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

nerdman42 posted:

With final wrapped up, I have all the time in the world.

Wait is Shroud actually Phillip's mom? Because if I accidentally stumbled onto a spoiler, that's the funniest mistake I've ever made.

Oh, sorry. I figured you knew since you were the one to mention it. Yes, Shroud is Phillip's mom.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Serious Frolicking posted:

Oh, sorry. I figured you knew since you were the one to mention it. Yes, Shroud is Phillip's mom.

Don't worry, this is honestly the best accidental spoiler I've ever gotten and I would've made the same mistake. I can't believe me calling her a mom was completely accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Man, I really feel bad for Alain after the latest episode. I saw it coming, but dude's got it tough. :smith:

It's crazy how far he's developed as a character, considering how he started as a shallow villain. He may be the most interesting of the cast now.

• Locked thread