Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Blakkout posted:

I've never played a Dark Souls game, but watched Day 9 play this and it looks great. Is there a proper tutorial in this game such that I won't be too hosed for not playing I or II?

The tutorial covers most of the basics, but the tutorial boss is probably the hardest out of the three games. There's not really a difficulty curve so much as a difficulty space elevator.

In general, the principle you should apply to literally every enemy and boss in any Dark Souls game is this: only attack when an enemy is vulnerable. Enemies are generally most vulnerable after using certain attacks (usually big attacks or long combos), where they'll have "recovery frames" where they won't bring out any further attacks for a brief period of time. Trying to throw out attacks whenever is likely going to get you killed over and over. Weaker enemies can usually be staggered indefinitely if your attack hits first, so experiment around to see which enemies are able to be staggered repeatedly and which ones you need to handle more cautiously.

Another important thing that the game doesn't really make explicit: dodge rolls in this game have "invincibility frames." If you aren't familiar with the concept, it means that your basic dodge roll has a certain period during which you are completely invulnerable to enemy attacks. In practice, this means you shouldn't be afraid of rolling into an enemy attack, so long as it's a relatively fast attack and your invincibility frames won't end while their weapon is still clipping you.

Finally, I would recommend using a shield as a first-time player, as it helps to make the game a lot easier. Try out the Knight class to start with, as they have powerful armor and a good basic shield. You generally want to only hold up your shield as an attack is about to hit, rather than holding it up continually, as your Stamina regeneration (which is used for both attacking and defending) is greatly lowered while it's held up. It takes some practice to toggle your shield on/off, but it's quite rewarding once you get the hang of it, and is easier than dodge rolling against certain enemy attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Bass Bottles posted:

Dodging the magic bullets in phase two I guess?

I also frequently can't find him in phase one when he charges up for his hadouken. They really screwed me up with all the changes they made to lock-on in this game.
For the bullets, just run. You see them being cast, just run. Unless he teleports right in front of you, the big guy won't catch you - his swings don't have the range. As soon as the bullets stop, you can start attacking again.

As for the big attack, play with sound. You have fought him enough, you will know from the charge-up sound how close he is to slamming the sword down - dodge accordingly. You don't need to see it happen.

EDIT: definitely, it's better if you dodge to the side. But if you really can't see it coming and start to panic, relax and listen.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 5, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

In fairness, Sacred Lothric Light does have one hell of a lingering hitbox. If you're not trying to circle him before dodging, it's easy to dodge roll and have it zap you after your iframes end.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Blakkout posted:

I've never played a Dark Souls game, but watched Day 9 play this and it looks great. Is there a proper tutorial in this game such that I won't be too hosed for not playing I or II?

No proper tutorial. Prepare to be savaged dozens of times on the first boss alone. :darksouls:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Blakkout posted:

Read the messages in the opening zone, be attentive and patient, use all your items to your advantage, don't go past 70% equip load or your dodge-roll goes to poo poo, and don't get greedy.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The best advice I can give is Don't Panic.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Had a revelation last night: Mound-builders are for people who want to summon someone to invade them as red signs are to people who want to summon someone to duel. Like if you want to fight someone now but without any honorobru baggage that comes from the duelist mentality. Because no one summons mad phantoms to maybe, possibly aid them - the host is ready to fight, the mad phantom is ready to fight, I've yet to see any of the pretense of "maybe they will, maybe they won't" that people associate with this covenant. I wonder if that element was even From's intention, or if it's emergent.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
Just got summoned as a Sentinel to the Undead Settlement... I see what you guys mean with the lighting getting all hosed up :raise:

turtlecrunch posted:

I don't have trouble getting Patches to spawn in FL after the DOTD are dead, it's only the COTD scene that is hard.
I actually had the same problem just now, he just moved to Firelink instantly before I even killed the boss. I think activating Rosaria's bonfire prematurely cancels it? Or maybe you can't speak to Siegward in the well beforehand I dunno

edit: Come to think of it, I opened the tower pretty early as well so that might be it

Exodee fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 5, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

For safety reasons, I just save opening the Tower until after the blue doors in Cathedral are opened.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Simply Simon posted:

For the bullets, just run. You see them being cast, just run. Unless he teleports right in front of you, the big guy won't catch you - his swings don't have the range. As soon as the bullets stop, you can start attacking again.

As for the big attack, play with sound. You have fought him enough, you will know from the charge-up sound how close he is to slamming the sword down - dodge accordingly. You don't need to see it happen.

EDIT: definitely, it's better if you dodge to the side. But if you really can't see it coming and start to panic, relax and listen.

I poorly explained my problem with the big laser beam. I would hear him start it, turn to find him. Try to lock on, but be too far away, so instead my camera would turn to where I was facing and then I'd be all confused lol

BUT I JUST BEAT THEM AND I'M NOT SURE HOW

The frustration made me extra alert and aggressive i guess, and I also didn't pay attention to the health bars. Suddenly the piggy back prince was on the ground about to heal knee-walker and I took him out with a single two-handed slice of my Hanzo steel.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Deified Data posted:

Because no one summons mad phantoms to maybe, possibly aid them

Clearly you've never invaded someone and seen them summon a mad phantom in a panic.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Had a revelation last night: Mound-builders are for people who want to summon someone to invade them as red signs are to people who want to summon someone to duel. Like if you want to fight someone now but without any honorobru baggage that comes from the duelist mentality. Because no one summons mad phantoms to maybe, possibly aid them - the host is ready to fight, the mad phantom is ready to fight, I've yet to see any of the pretense of "maybe they will, maybe they won't" that people associate with this covenant. I wonder if that element was even From's intention, or if it's emergent.
I want to play the game with a buddy now, purple summoning only for the friendly fire

Hey that's actually a great idea

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

codo27 posted:

I never tire of these nooblets that run in packs of 3 and try to taunt you when they eventually manage to kill you when you invade

It's pretty hilarious. I usually just hit the lay down emote when I see 3/4 dudes grouped up waiting to kill invaders with every mob already dead. There's no point fighting

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Bass Bottles posted:

I poorly explained my problem with the big laser beam. I would hear him start it, turn to find him. Try to lock on, but be too far away, so instead my camera would turn to where I was facing and then I'd be all confused lol

BUT I JUST BEAT THEM AND I'M NOT SURE HOW

The frustration made me extra alert and aggressive i guess, and I also didn't pay attention to the health bars. Suddenly the piggy back prince was on the ground about to heal knee-walker and I took him out with a single two-handed slice of my Hanzo steel.
Congratulations! And yeah just don't lock on haha, I had to figure that out the hard way, too. I think it's actually good that they force you to reconsider "always be locked on", it'll always be better to be flexible (much like it is a good idea to not RELY on shields, but recognize their strengths). It's dumb when they're juuuust out of range, though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

To go back to bleed chat, with Anri's or Warden Twinblades, using a carthus rouge at 40 luck bleed triggers about every four hits with either weapon. It's pretty nice. Though if it for whatever reason doesn't trigger, or trigger enough to kill a player, you're in for an annoying time.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The real advice about Dark Souls is that it's a game about timing. Your dodgeroll has invincibility, roll through enemy attacks and then attack them while they're still in recovery.

You don't need to get the RPG/strategic elements perfect if you know that.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.
Still trying to keep my head down on a blind-ish playthrough so sorry if this has been asked recently. At what stat level do the scaling-based infusions start to do more damage? Been running fire on a longsword since the beginning. at 25/25 str/dex. At what point do one of the scaling infusions start to bring in better returns?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

It's pretty hilarious. I usually just hit the lay down emote when I see 3/4 dudes grouped up waiting to kill invaders with every mob already dead. There's no point fighting

believe in yourself. it is possible.
usually not likely though

I invaded 4 people outside wolnir's chamber a couple of days ago. they all decided to rush me on that little rock bridge after I had popped iron flesh. the host and three phantoms got knocked off and the host pulled the plug. probably the only time that iron flesh is gonna be useful.

Internet Kraken posted:

Clearly you've never invaded someone and seen them summon a mad phantom in a panic.

I saw someone do this and the mad phantom actually helped them. He already had two summons out though. like, dude, you're not gonna get the vertebrae shackle without my help.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

The Ancient Wyvren is some sort of cruel joke.

I've gotten to the top of the scaffolding twice now, and after carefully lining up my aim and standing right where the notes say Plunging Attack... I missed. TWICE. :shepicide:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

StrangeAeon posted:

The Ancient Wyvren is some sort of cruel joke.

I've gotten to the top of the scaffolding twice now, and after carefully lining up my aim and standing right where the notes say Plunging Attack... I missed. TWICE. :shepicide:

Go to the left side of the platform and wait for the wyvern to stop breathing fire. You'll hit every time.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Internet Kraken posted:

I usually summon a purple if I get invaded and there's a sign around. About 65% of the time they fight the invader for me. :thumbsup:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
you guys know that ladder that leads to the two watchdogs/aldritch basement?

if someone is turtling on that ladder, how do you get them off it? if you attempt to climb and kick them down, they punch too quickly to allow for you to get hits in (poise effect...or maybe poise is just nonexistant on ladders) and if you attempt to throw something at them you are extremely likely to fall down yourself

twohanding a weapon and doing a dive attack will not knock them down, and they can estus on the ladder

it's happened to me three times down and i do not know how to circumvent it

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
If you want to guarantee having Patches spawn at the Cathedral here is how you do it (just did a speed-run to make an Abyss Watcher Watch-dog and tested this):
1. Help Siegward kill the demon and make sure you get the two gestures from him
2. Do not raise any of the bridges or unlock Rosaria's bonfire (avoid the rafters until after Patches appears)
3. Do not buy the Tower key yet (git gud and just use the tree-jump if you want to trade with the crow; it won't break Patches spawning)
4. Open all the green doors (you may not need the ones near the giant but I haven't tried a run testing that)
5. Avoid going to the well and triggering Siegward talking; I think it causes Patches to disappear until he shows up at Firelink
*The giant near the green door does not need to be alive for Patches to spawn; I killed him beforehand and the cut-scene still played out

If you look carefully after you open the green door that's near the first grave warden you meet you'll see the bridge rising up behind you. You don't need to exit the game or go to a bonfire; Patches will immediately spawn at the bridge after opening the door.

Desperate Character fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 5, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

One time I was that phantom and I noticed what was going on because the guy who summoned me was just sprinting in circles around a bonfire while an invader was chillin' in a doorway so I can of just stood off the side in the patches squat position until the host pulled the plug.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

E-Money posted:

Still trying to keep my head down on a blind-ish playthrough so sorry if this has been asked recently. At what stat level do the scaling-based infusions start to do more damage? Been running fire on a longsword since the beginning. at 25/25 str/dex. At what point do one of the scaling infusions start to bring in better returns?

You'll always get better returns with pure physical scaling than elemental fire, magic, dark, lightning, etc.

Do you plan on using pyromancy? If not I'd use a shriving stone (or buy a new longsword if you haven't upgraded the other much) and infuse it with refined to better scale off your str and dex.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

E-Money posted:

Also to answer your question you'll start seeing positive returns around 25 or so, but it only really becomes worth the infusion at around level 30

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

E-Money posted:

At 25/25 Str/Dex, you will definitely get more damage from Refined than Fire, no question. Maybe a couple of weapons have such high base damage and such bad scaling (Astora Straight Sword, maybe?) that a non-scaling infusion is better for longer, but for the majority of weapons, 25/25 is plenty to start making the scaling worth it.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

turtlecrunch posted:

I usually summon a purple if I get invaded and there's a sign around. About 65% of the time they fight the invader for me. :thumbsup:
Why are there so many purple summon signs though. On a fresh character I had nothing but purple signs at the first bonfire lol

Rafza posted:

you guys know that ladder that leads to the two watchdogs/aldritch basement?

if someone is turtling on that ladder, how do you get them off it? if you attempt to climb and kick them down, they punch too quickly to allow for you to get hits in (poise effect...or maybe poise is just nonexistant on ladders) and if you attempt to throw something at them you are extremely likely to fall down yourself

twohanding a weapon and doing a dive attack will not knock them down, and they can estus on the ladder

it's happened to me three times down and i do not know how to circumvent it
Do you have the Boulder Toss(?) pyromancy? That would probably work quite well against those

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

Deified Data posted:

You'll always get better returns with pure physical scaling than elemental fire, magic, dark, lightning, etc.

Do you plan on using pyromancy? If not I'd use a shriving stone (or buy a new longsword if you haven't upgraded the other much) and infuse it with refined to better scale off your str and dex.

You're saying that with 25/25 refined is gonna do more damage than fire on my +6 longsword? Thought you needed to have a certain base level of Str/Dex before the scaling beats the base damage boost of an elemental infusion. I'll give it a shot, i guess i have a million stones at this point (think i have all the infusions or am maybe one coal short at this point.) Just doing a boring sword and board on this one.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Exodee posted:

Why are there so many purple summon signs though. On a fresh character I had nothing but purple signs at the first bonfire lol

Do you have the Boulder Toss(?) pyromancy? That would probably work quite well against those

the way the person is situated on the ladder is just shy of being hit (the boulder either hits the floor or passes overhead)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Exodee posted:

They just got the Covenant and want to try it out, presumably!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

E-Money posted:

You're saying that with 25/25 refined is gonna do more damage than fire on my +6 longsword? Thought you needed to have a certain base level of Str/Dex before the scaling beats the base damage boost of an elemental infusion. I'll give it a shot, i guess i have a million stones at this point (think i have all the infusions or am maybe one coal short at this point.) Just doing a boring sword and board on this one.

Yes, it definitely will. You can compare the AR + scaling in the infusion menu, too.

Keep in mind that the Fire Longsword's AR is affected by split damage. It might have higher attack rating on the sheet, but in practice, it has to pass through two flat damage reductions (physical and fire) instead of just one, so you end up probably doing less damage.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rafza posted:

the way the person is situated on the ladder is just shy of being hit (the boulder either hits the floor or passes overhead)

Can you use Rope Firebombs while on ladders? If not, I'd just Crystal out.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Go to the left side of the platform and wait for the wyvern to stop breathing fire. You'll hit every time.

I was. :suicide:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Is the Drakeblood Greatsword good? It feels like a Claymore combined with a straight sword moveset style and does physical, magic and lightning damage. Sorta gimmicky I guess but I like the idea of a tri-damage weapon.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

a shameful boehner posted:

Is the Drakeblood Greatsword good? It feels like a Claymore combined with a straight sword moveset style and does physical, magic and lightning damage. Sorta gimmicky I guess but I like the idea of a tri-damage weapon.
I use it a lot and have good success with it. Its numbers are higher than most comparable weapons, in the end the damage is therefore the same because of the triple reduction, but it certainly works. Good poisebreak too.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's pretty good when infused with Raw if you're planning on using resins or are planning on using CMW/Lightning Blade on it. Otherwise, I'd just go with the Claymore.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh. :(

You could always summon a phantom and have them die historic. If they land the hit it counts. :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The downside: three damage types means it has to pass through three layers of flat damage reduction. Its sheet attack rating is going to be much higher than the damage it actually does.

The upside: its sheet attack rating is really super high and it can still be buffed(!!!) so it doesn't suck at all for certain builds. If you're a high-Intelligence or high-Faith build, make it Raw and then buff it with either magic or lightning, and wear the appropriate Clutch ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Blakkout posted:

I might be alone in this, but I don't recommend this as a first Souls game because it's aggressively tuned to challenge veterans of the series, and it relies heavily on references to DS1. I think you'll be missing out on the intended experience if you haven't played through the first game.