Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Torpor posted:

employees wanting to open the floodgates to break unions and decrease labor costs and the employees getting upset.

Those fears are based on racist assumptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Munkeymon posted:

Agreed! Good thing all I did is point out that someone on the internet was willfully ignoring blatant racism.

actually all you did was imply the only reason a small town would reject a factory would be because of racism, but you're putting increasing distance between that argument and your current argument of "all i'm doing is identifying the racist" as you realize how dumb your initial argument of a half hour ago was

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Like, I really can't express clear enough how unironic and real my disgust is for someone saying 'so what, we just LET this keep happening, people having VIEWS I DISLIKE?!' as if that's supposed to make the reader clutch their pearls and wonder what is to be done with these monsters that we allow to exist for some reason. It's maybe one of the worst things I've read in these forums that were presented as genuine views that someone is shocked no one else agrees on.

:same:

Dude is a monster who expects us all to nod and agree because he's on "our side".

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

rkajdi posted:

So we should just continue to let kids who are stuck in the backwoods get awful educations, and then get turned into the kinds of garbage that's been voting in the GOP primaries?

I'm not saying steal people's kids. I'm say actually educate them, up to and including telling them their parents are loving up their lives with the garbage they are putting into their brains. You get them for five days a week, the parents get them maybe for two. I can't see how you don't win this one.

I get that this could be used in the opposite way if idiots gain control of the system, but that was the case no matter what was done. Hell, that sounds more like some sort of libertarian small government idiocy than anything. Or are we now back to the point where forcing schools to teach evolution instead of whatever creationism stand-in is en vogue this week is cultural genocide?

I hope you don't actually talk to people and say this stuff out loud, you're the liberal boogeyman that republicans are scared of.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I have spent the last three months trying to understand these threads and it is impossible. It feels like starting to watch a soap opera 1/2 way through the fourth season. It's great.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Like, I really can't express clear enough how unironic and real my disgust is for someone saying 'so what, we just LET this keep happening, people having VIEWS I DISLIKE?!' as if that's supposed to make the reader clutch their pearls and wonder what is to be done with these monsters that we allow to exist for some reason. It's maybe one of the worst things I've read in these forums that were presented as genuine views that someone is shocked no one else agrees on.

Take up the Technocrat's burden—

Send forth the best ye breed—

Go take their sons to exile

To serve ideology's need

To scold in public schooling

On rural folk and wild—

Your racist, backwoods people,

Half redneck and half child

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

oh man i'm glad you guys called out rjadkj again so we can have seven pages of people teeing off on his dumb as hell views.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

actually all you did was imply the only reason a small town would reject a factory would be because of racism, but you're putting increasing distance between that argument and your current argument of "all i'm doing is identifying the racist" as you realize how dumb your initial argument of a half hour ago was

I meant to imply that you were ignoring the fact that townspeople made racist statements that many people rightly found repugnant, but, if that's what you got out of what I said, I think this is a simple case of miscommunication.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Zelder posted:

oh man i'm glad you guys called out rjadkj again so we can have seven pages of people teeing off on his dumb as hell views.

Maybe this time he will gently caress off forever.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

it would be kind of poetic if rkadlji realized that he was run out for wrongthink, haha.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Is Rjadkj the same dude who'd storm into the gay threads accusing us of being False Progressives because something something gay marriage is bougie something something *topic being discussed* won't cure the discrimination HE feels so why are we talking about it at all, and then when called on it got into a big thing about how he's terrified of coming out in his office basically because his coworkers are southern and he assumed it'd turn into a giant gay bash instantly?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Munkeymon posted:

I meant to imply that you were ignoring the fact that townspeople made racist statements that many people rightly found repugnant, but, if that's what you got out of what I said, I think this is a simple case of miscommunication.

i'm not ignoring that reason to reject the factory so much as mocking the people who choose to ignore every single other listed reason people in the town hall stated to reject the factory, because i dont feel a pressing need to confirm my biases that rural nebraskans are uniformly racist

people who still live in small towns in 2016, towns that aren't slowly decaying but have reached some kind of economic statis, probably reallllly don't want gigantic conglomerates from out of town putting their thumbs on the local economy

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mcclay posted:

So should we beat the poors to make them rightthink or do we steal their children? I'm so glad the left is all in favor of physically enforced mind control! I too love Warhammer 40k

How is removing a child out of an abusive situation beating a poor person? The child's well-being is more important than allowing the parent to continue to parent. If you abuse your kids, you shouldn't have the privilege of raising them. Note that I've seen the same trash being put up by good, upstanding middle class families too. Both should be losing their kids.

I get that the state raising kids is usually lovely, but at some point it's better than being dead due to lack of medical treatment or broken due to constant abuse. If we're calling this "physical-enforced mind control", I'd love to have seen what any of you would have said during the women's lib movement. Is it bad that state would step in and beat up and imprison someone for abusing their spouse? And if we're going to protect grown people, why the hell not protect children who are far less able to defend themselves against adults?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

rkajdi posted:

How is removing a child out of an abusive situation beating a poor person? The child's well-being is more important than allowing the parent to continue to parent. If you abuse your kids, you shouldn't have the privilege of raising them. Note that I've seen the same trash being put up by good, upstanding middle class families too. Both should be losing their kids.

I get that the state raising kids is usually lovely, but at some point it's better than being dead due to lack of medical treatment or broken due to constant abuse. If we're calling this "physical-enforced mind control", I'd love to have seen what any of you would have said during the women's lib movement. Is it bad that state would step in and beat up and imprison someone for abusing their spouse? And if we're going to protect grown people, why the hell not protect children who are far less able to defend themselves against adults?

because having different politics than your personal politics does not constitute abuse. you are not perfect, nor are you objectively correct in all things. you're kind of a delusional idiot frankly

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Not taking action by Monday means a lawsuit hitting their desks on Tuesday. On stuff like this, Obama don't play.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

rkajdi posted:

And again no one is disagreeing with you there. The issue we have is between 'beat the gay out' and 'pray your TB away' you added in 'has opinions I dislike'!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Is Rjadkj the same dude who'd storm into the gay threads accusing us of being False Progressives because something something gay marriage is bougie something something *topic being discussed* won't cure the discrimination HE feels so why are we talking about it at all, and then when called on it got into a big thing about how he's terrified of coming out in his office basically because his coworkers are southern and he assumed it'd turn into a giant gay bash instantly?

Yes and he's in a heterosexual marriage.

e: which in of itself is okay but being a bisexual in a "socially acceptable" marriage telling gay people that they need to wait until every social issues is solved before they can get married because some bullshit about ideological purity is something so infuriating that it figuratively makes me see red when I think about it.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 5, 2016

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

god we're such a deeply, deeply stupid state

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

rkajdi posted:

I get that the state raising kids is usually lovely,

Just usually huh

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ron Paul's grandson-in-law is guilty of bribing a Michele Bachmann supporter for an endorsement.

https://twitter.com/GrantMRodgers/status/728264693903548417

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

rkajdi posted:

Man you really ought to knock it off with the "trash people" "garbage people" thing

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
A lot of you are also assuming Rural means Poor. It doesn't. Many rural areas are expensive to live in (and growing moreso).

Secondly, you're removing any agency from the people who choose to be shitheels. The proper reaction to the guy leaving a disabled Sanders voter stranded on the side of the goddamn road is one of disgust and anger, not "oh that poor dear. He just doesn't know any better."

Third, the rich don't have any power without this legion of bastards voting for them. So yes, they are a problem. One that controls the House, Senate and most of the state legislatures.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
not only did georgia's governor veto the georgia house's attempt to pass a LGBT hate bill, but he also signed a bill which reduces the importance of standardized tests as well as cuts the number of tests given to students, and he vetoed a campus carry bill

our republican shitheel gov, suprisingly decent this month

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

not only did georgia's governor veto the georgia house's attempt to pass a LGBT hate bill, but he also signed a bill which reduces the importance of standardized tests as well as cuts the number of tests given to students, and he vetoed a campus carry bill

he must hail from the benighted suburbs

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

How stupid do you have to be to actually get caught for bribery? The SCOTUS thread makes it look almost impossible if you aren't brain dead.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

rkajdi posted:

Because them not holding the same politics as you is not abuse. Unless they are refusing to get their kids vaccines or treatment for illness. Their kids are fine.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Radish posted:

How stupid do you have to be to actually get caught for bribery? The SCOTUS thread makes it look almost impossible if you aren't brain dead.

Bribery, especially pay for play type stuff, is cartoonishly impossible to get busted for. Like, unless they hand you a check on camera with "HERE IS THE CHECK, FOR THE INFLUENCE AND POLITICAL ACCESS YOU GAVE ME AND AGREED ON GIVING ME THAT STUFF FOR THIS MONEY. THAT'S RIGHT THIS MONEY IS ONLY FOR THAT ACCESS AND INFLUENCE AND NOTHING ELSE" post-it'd on it. Maybe like, with a tape of the two of you negotiating the bribe price where you get him to say 'THE BRIBE, GIMMIE THE BRIBE, I WANT MONEY TO DO THIS FOR YOU, BRIBE ME UP GOOD'?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Haha

gently caress all you Vapers. Stop being loving pussies and just quit smoking already.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Talmonis posted:

A lot of you are also assuming Rural means Poor. It doesn't. Many rural areas are expensive to live in (and growing moreso).

Secondly, you're removing any agency from the people who choose to be shitheels. The proper reaction to the guy leaving a disabled Sanders voter stranded on the side of the goddamn road is one of disgust and anger, not "oh that poor dear. He just doesn't know any better."

Third, the rich don't have any power without this legion of bastards voting for them. So yes, they are a problem. One that controls the House, Senate and most of the state legislatures.

We do take issue when that rear end in a top hat is used to tar other people in his area. Also lol at the vaper law. Duncan hunter is going to be pissed.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

Haha

gently caress all you Vapers. Stop being loving pussies and just quit smoking already.

I don't know a single person who vapes to quit smoking.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MacheteZombie posted:

I know a ton who SAY they are but yea, none who actually HAVE

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Radish posted:

The state senator who was bribed wrote a memo to the Paul campaign asking for $100,000 in cash, payable in twelve monthly installments of $8,000. Seriously.

The Paul campaign invited him and his wife out to dinner, waited for him to go to the restroom and handed his wife a check for $25,000. Two days later, he endorsed Paul.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Aren't standardized tests criticized for forcing teachers to create a curriculum that focuses on teaching specifically to pass the tests and not a proper learning environment?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

MacheteZombie posted:

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I know a ton who SAY they are but yea, none who actually HAVE

All the ones I know were hard core smokers who, afraid of the health effects and social stigma, decided to vape instead because of its perceived safety. Oh and also they can do it indoors at work sometimes.

They're still addicted to nicotine and would go right back to smoking if it wasn't available.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Aren't standardized tests criticized for forcing teachers to create a curriculum that focuses on teaching specifically to pass the tests and not a proper learning environment?

well the problem isn't the tests themselves, even though standardized tests are pretty bad and should be used sparingly more for national educational attainment metrics than individual student benchmarking and assessment

what you're talking about kicks in when standardized tests count as a significant portion of a student's final grade, which administrators love because it produces numbers and stats but teachers hate because yeah, you have to teach to a test rather than individually judging a student's capabilities based on a personal relationship. oh and your incentive to teach to the test is that your job security depends on how well the students do, lol

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

And again no one is disagreeing with you there. The issue we have is between 'beat the gay out' and 'pray your TB away' you added in 'has opinions I dislike'!

Well beating the gay out is certainly illegal but you can mentally abuse them all you want and coerce them into conversion therapy in the vast majority of states. I'm not suggesting that there's really much we can do about it, just pointing out that it's perfectly legal to be a really loving terrible parent.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

i only know one guy who vapes and he is exactly as you just envisioned him in your mind's eye.

i don't know about rural whites, but i do support segregation for vapers, and destroying their way of life

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

well the problem isn't the tests themselves, even though standardized tests are pretty bad and should be used sparingly more for national educational attainment metrics than individual student benchmarking and assessment

what you're talking about kicks in when standardized tests count as a significant portion of a student's final grade, which administrators love because it produces numbers and stats but teachers hate because yeah, you have to teach to a test rather than individually judging a student's capabilities based on a personal relationship. oh and your incentive to teach to the test is that your job security depends on how well the students do, lol

Another great feature is that the test scores are used as a way of doling out budget to the schools, with high-grading schools getting more money and low-grading schools getting less.

That's right. The failing schools that are most in need of help get LESS funding, thus ensuring they get stuck in a downward spiral.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Crowsbeak posted:

Because them not holding the same politics as you is not abuse. Unless they are refusing to get their kids vaccines or treatment for illness. Their kids are fine.

Has he actually said this? Because the first time I've seen it brought up in the thread was N4I's Fox News-style "just asking questions."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

The state senator who was bribed wrote a memo to the Paul campaign asking for $100,000 in cash, payable in twelve monthly installments of $8,000. Seriously.

The Paul campaign invited him and his wife out to dinner, waited for him to go to the restroom and handed his wife a check for $25,000. Two days later, he endorsed Paul.

This is Golden Age corruption. Love those classic story lines!

• Locked thread