Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
This thread has become v interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Laserface posted:

People are idiots and dont enable it because they are worried about being tracked.

then again its how I discovered my ex was cheating on me but then again she was dumb enough to give me her appleID password so :shrug:

:greenangel:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

LloydDobler posted:

Thanks for the help guys. I've already changed her apple ID password and disabled the phone from the AT&T website so it at least can't cost me anything. She had the 6 digit password on there too, I hope that secures it enough. I tried calling it and it's straight to voicemail, so it's either off, disassembled already, or battery is dead.

From what I'm reading find my phone MUST be set up by the user and if you didn't do it there is zero recourse. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201472

I'll obviously hit up the phone store in the morning and find out what they can do for sure. She lost track of it right before lunch, she thought it was in her locker. She checked the lost and found between every class for the rest of the day and got nothing. Hopefully someone found it after school and turned it in to the lost and found, or does it in the morning.

"The phone store?" No you should always just deal with Apple directly. If it's truly stolen then tell them so and let them ban the IMEI so it can't be activated ever again. I'm assuming you could reverse it if you ever found it. If it's a dead battery and find my iPhone was turned on then the good thing is it'll turn back on when it charges. I think you can actually go to iCloud.com and log in and check to see if find my iPhone was turned on. If it was it should give you the last known location.

A 6 digit password is secure enough I wouldn't worry about that. I mean if you were really paranoid I think you can trigger a remote wipe in iCloud as well? I'm not sure about that one. If you added an exchange account for email then I think you can trigger a remote wipe through your exchange email provider as well. I think anyway. My university email is an exchange account and when I poke around or webmail interface (OWS or whatever it's called) there's an option to wipe my phone. I've never tried it for obvious reasons but just putting it out there.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm getting anxious reading all of this... And can't tell... You did at least go to iCloud.com and try the find my iPhone button right? Please go to iCloud.com now and do this

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think if he's disabled it on AT&T, it means Find my iPhone will only be able to find it if it connects to wifi since it won't connect to mobile data, and if it's locked, there's no way for whoever stole it to do so.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

It would at least show its last location

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How? If it can't connect to any data, how can it send its location? Isn't the bes t it'll give you is its last known location? Serious question. I'm curious.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
That's what he just said? Last (i.e. last known) location.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Boris Galerkin posted:

"The phone store?" No you should always just deal with Apple directly. If it's truly stolen then tell them so and let them ban the IMEI so it can't be activated ever again. I'm assuming you could reverse it if you ever found it. If it's a dead battery and find my iPhone was turned on then the good thing is it'll turn back on when it charges. I think you can actually go to iCloud.com and log in and check to see if find my iPhone was turned on. If it was it should give you the last known location.

A 6 digit password is secure enough I wouldn't worry about that. I mean if you were really paranoid I think you can trigger a remote wipe in iCloud as well? I'm not sure about that one. If you added an exchange account for email then I think you can trigger a remote wipe through your exchange email provider as well. I think anyway. My university email is an exchange account and when I poke around or webmail interface (OWS or whatever it's called) there's an option to wipe my phone. I've never tried it for obvious reasons but just putting it out there.

Apple doesn't care if you report an IMEI to them FWIW. That's all on AT&T or whoever's end, Apple only has the user-controlled Find My iPhone lock stuff.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Looking for a nice leather case for an iphone 6 - I love Apple's leather cases, are there any better alternatives?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Haha, "kids are pretty good with technology" in a conversation about a kid not turning on find my iPhone. Kids are people, nearly all people are terrible with tech, therefore...

Source: I work with kids every day and they loving suck at computers and phones just as much if not more than their parents. You get the odd kid who has the computer literacy of a pretty good administrative assistant, and rarely one who thinks they're God because they've seen a command line before. Most don't know where the control or tab keys are on a keyboard and many don't know that you can right-click with a mouse.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Weedle posted:

Apple Music users: do you have problems with your iCloud library when you're not on WiFi? Whenever I add something to my library from Apple Music, the album art doesn't load in my library until I'm on WiFi. It loads fine in the search interface, though. I also tested disabling and re-enabling iCloud Music Library entirely, and it wouldn't load my library at all until I got on WiFi. Does this match up with your experience?

e: I have "use cellular data" turned on of course

Yeah, all my album art got erased and will only load the currently playing song's art when I'm on wifi. Annoying.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Haha, "kids are pretty good with technology" in a conversation about a kid not turning on find my iPhone. Kids are people, nearly all people are terrible with tech, therefore...

This is too true. We've crossed the boundary where most kids had to actually build computers, troubleshoot bios and OS issues, etc as a barrier to entry. Kids now use computers just like we all use cars.

I work with engineering students who literally have no idea how directory structures work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There are still proper nerds being bred out there, they're just messing with arduinos and raspberries instead of desktops.

The general population has always been stupid about computers, and now that computing careers have become mainstream those same idiots are filtering into classrooms looking for a well paying career. I mean if that one guy can make millions off Flappy Bird, how hard could it really be??

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

jackpot posted:

Looking for a nice leather case for an iphone 6 - I love Apple's leather cases, are there any better alternatives?

Not at that price point, no.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The plot thickens - there is a security camera that points at my daughter's locker, so we'll know for sure in a day or two whether she lost it or someone took it. She's confident it was in there and stolen so we'll see.

Edit - She was wrong, camera footage shows that nobody touched her locker but her that morning. Most logical explanation is it fell out of her pocket between the car and school, and someone picked it up thinking "cool, free iPhone". I called police lost and found, created a lost and found craigslist post, and filed the insurance claim.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 7, 2016

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

LloydDobler posted:

Thanks for the help guys. I've already changed her apple ID password and disabled the phone from the AT&T website so it at least can't cost me anything. She had the 6 digit password on there too, I hope that secures it enough. I tried calling it and it's straight to voicemail, so it's either off, disassembled already, or battery is dead.

From what I'm reading find my phone MUST be set up by the user and if you didn't do it there is zero recourse. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201472

I'll obviously hit up the phone store in the morning and find out what they can do for sure. She lost track of it right before lunch, she thought it was in her locker. She checked the lost and found between every class for the rest of the day and got nothing. Hopefully someone found it after school and turned it in to the lost and found, or does it in the morning.

It needs to be set up but iCloud really tries to encourage you to turn it on. If you didn't say no to any of those prompts you might be ok. Check FMIP on iCloud.com.

Changing the password might have screwed you though - whatever password you used to log in on the phone won't be valid any more and it might not connect to iCloud.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So, having Windows Defender's live protection turned on with Windows 10 will corrupt almost any encrypted iTunes backup you attempt because the files the backup produces commonly trigger on signature checks.

The only way to get it it to work reliably is turn off defender when backing up and restoring. Phenomenal job whoever let that one through. :downs:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does iOS' double-tap homescreen for Wallet not work for anyone else? I have a bunch of loyalty cards in my Wallet and it's a pain in the rear end to fumble with my phone when I'm at the cash if I have to pull up the wallet app.

In settings under "Wallet & Apple Pay" I enabled double-click home button.
In "Touch ID & Passcode" I have "Wallet" enabled under "Allow access when locked"

When I lock my phone and double-tap the home button, it looks like TouchID just unlocks me and takes me to springboard as usual. If I use a finger that's not registered with TouchID it just gives me the "Try again" waggle as TouchID fails.

Not sure how to get to my wallet from the lock screen but I feel like it should be possible.

edit: iPhone6, up-to-date on iOS as of today's date.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It works about 90% of the time for me. The rest of it, I'm unable to get it to flip the card I want onto the screen for no discernible reason so I stand there looking like an rear end in a top hat until I give up and pull out my wallet.

It just completely flips the gently caress out if you happen to get a phone call at the same time you double tap the home button.. I even crashed the phone once.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Martytoof posted:

Does iOS' double-tap homescreen for Wallet not work for anyone else? I have a bunch of loyalty cards in my Wallet and it's a pain in the rear end to fumble with my phone when I'm at the cash if I have to pull up the wallet app.

In settings under "Wallet & Apple Pay" I enabled double-click home button.
In "Touch ID & Passcode" I have "Wallet" enabled under "Allow access when locked"

When I lock my phone and double-tap the home button, it looks like TouchID just unlocks me and takes me to springboard as usual. If I use a finger that's not registered with TouchID it just gives me the "Try again" waggle as TouchID fails.

Not sure how to get to my wallet from the lock screen but I feel like it should be possible.

edit: iPhone6, up-to-date on iOS as of today's date.

I always make sure to use my thumbnail or the edge of the home button to avoid invoking Touch ID. The 6S is too fast at recognizing a fingerprint that you actively have to avoid putting a fingerprint on it to use Wallet.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Don't have any issue with bringing wallet up from sleep, nor changing cards on my 6.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I have to do the double-press pretty quickly, and with the screen off first. If the screen is on (from pressing the lock button/previously failing touchID) then it just unlocks the phone, likewise if I'm not quick enough with the double press. Otherwise I'm able to trigger it successfully every time.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
You can slow down the double/triple click recognition in the accessibility settings. That might help.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's so weird, it's literally not working for me.

I might take it to the fruit store later for their take. Thanks for the advice though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Martytoof posted:

That's so weird, it's literally not working for me.

I might take it to the fruit store later for their take. Thanks for the advice though.

I've never had it work either, I just gave up. Interested to hear what the geniuses say/do about it!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My iPhone 6s (9.3.1) seems to have a battery issue. Seemingly randomly I noticed that I'd wake up to my phone being at 15% or below battery life if I left it off the charger at night. I reset the phone, swiped out all the apps, and it still seems to be draining at about 4-5% per hour even if I don't touch it. My iPad Air 2 has no such problem and loses maybe a couple percentage per day. Is this an issue for the Apple store?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah bring it back. Shouldn't be doing that

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Delete facebook first and see if that changes anything.

There's also a usage section somewhere in the settings app to identify what's taking the most power, see if anything stands out.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

xzzy posted:

Delete facebook first and see if that changes anything.

Done. On the iPad it doesn't seem to be affecting anything, but maybe, for my phone, it's messing stuff up?

xzzy posted:

There's also a usage section somewhere in the settings app to identify what's taking the most power, see if anything stands out.

I can't get the Battery section of my Settings to actually give me real info. I leave the phone alone and it continues to to tell me 'Battery information will be available after using iPhone for a few minutes'. Which is so helpful since I'm leaving my phone alone and the battery is draining like a sieve.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, at that point it sounds like you gotta cart yourself to the Apple Store.

Facebook is just a well known battery hog.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Really don't feel like returning my iPhone SE because of a loose power button...

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Don't. Just get it fixed instead.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
They can just fix it?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Is there a way to restart the iPhone without powering the thing off?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It does not have a warm reboot, no.

Not sure why one would care.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Dr Tran posted:

Is there a way to restart the iPhone without powering the thing off?

Hold down power + home for 10 seconds and the device will reboot.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

rear end Catchcum posted:

They can just fix it?

They'll replace it with a new phone, the power button is not a serviceable part.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Godzilla07 posted:

Hold down power + home for 10 seconds and the device will reboot.

Neat, it came back with the same apps open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Dr Tran posted:

Neat, it came back with the same apps open

What? No it didn't. Apps don't exactly stay "open" on iOS. They either (if set up this way) remain in RAM unless force-quit, power cycled, or deactivated by the OS's memory management, or they ping their services periodically based on background refresh settings. Multitasking is a clever illusion on iOS.

If you're talking about the app switcher, that's not a representation of what's open. It's just a history of recently open apps to make switching easier, or to allow you to force-quit if an app is acting up. Acting up is the only reason to swipe up on an app, you'll waste more power on the screen time it takes to force quit them than they'll ever use if they happen to be held in memory.