Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Another great feature is that the test scores are used as a way of doling out budget to the schools, with high-grading schools getting more money and low-grading schools getting less.

That's right. The failing schools that are most in need of help get LESS funding, thus ensuring they get stuck in a downward spiral.

But if we don't punish them for their stupidity, how will they ever be motivated enough to really TRY?

We don't want them to become DEPENDENT, do we?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Joementum posted:

The state senator who was bribed wrote a memo to the Paul campaign asking for $100,000 in cash, payable in twelve monthly installments of $8,000. Seriously.

The Paul campaign invited him and his wife out to dinner, waited for him to go to the restroom and handed his wife a check for $25,000. Two days later, he endorsed Paul.

Haha that's pretty great.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Zelder posted:

i only know one guy who vapes and he is exactly as you just envisioned him in your mind's eye.

i don't know about rural whites, but i do support segregation for vapers, and destroying their way of life

My nephew vapes

It's infected my family

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zelder posted:

i don't know about rural whites, but i do support segregation for vapers, and destroying their way of life

:yeah:

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Joementum posted:

The state senator who was bribed wrote a memo to the Paul campaign asking for $100,000 in cash, payable in twelve monthly installments of $8,000. Seriously.

The Paul campaign invited him and his wife out to dinner, waited for him to go to the restroom and handed his wife a check for $25,000. Two days later, he endorsed Paul.
Magical.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I'm against legitimate vape, but some of the charges are absurd.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Another great feature is that the test scores are used as a way of doling out budget to the schools, with high-grading schools getting more money and low-grading schools getting less.

That's right. The failing schools that are most in need of help get LESS funding, thus ensuring they get stuck in a downward spiral.

The quality of the tests is also extremely questionable. My fiancee teaches 3rd grade and she told me about several questions that had some fundamental problems like not being grammatically correct, not having the correct answer for a question listed in the multiple choices (and there wasn't a "no answer is right" option), etc.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
The biggest problem I have with the whole vaping thing is the candy and fruit flavored crap, which is likely targeted at getting children to buy it like they used to with flavored cigarettes.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

An Angry Bug posted:

Has he actually said this? Because the first time I've seen it brought up in the thread was N4I's Fox News-style "just asking questions."

Yes.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

If the fear that polls will change in the next six months is actually causing you this much mental distress, it's time to turn off the computer and go take a walk outside or talk to someone about your irrational anxiety.

I promise the USPol thread on somethingawful.com won't lull the nation into a false sense of complacency and single-handedly swing the election to Trump in your absence.

Plus we're now at the point where polls are somewhat predictive:

http://election.princeton.edu/2016/05/01/what-do-head-to-head-general-election-polls-tell-us-about-november/

They can narrow (or expand) somewhat but by early May they're now in the "actually somewhat useful" territory.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
http://www.rawstory.com/2016/05/trump-loving-tow-truck-driver-says-god-told-him-to-leave-bernie-sanders-supporter-stranded/

quote:

The conservative Christian suggested he had a religious right to refuse service to Sanders supporters.

“I respect their beliefs, and I hope they respect my views,” Shupe said.

Who could have possibly seen something like this coming?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Can't wait till its used to justify refusing service to blacks and middle eastern people. God Bless America.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Just like we all know the story of the average Samaritan who passed by the poor soul on the road because he was from a different religion and that was all fine and groovy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

axeil posted:

Plus we're now at the point where polls are somewhat predictive:

http://election.princeton.edu/2016/05/01/what-do-head-to-head-general-election-polls-tell-us-about-november/

They can narrow (or expand) somewhat but by early May they're now in the "actually somewhat useful" territory.

The polling about Trump has never once been wrong this entire cycle.

CommieGIR posted:

Can't wait till its used to justify refusing service to blacks and middle eastern people. God Bless America.

Miss the KY County Clerk saga?

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It is inherently based on racism. Get this, Big Labor was hella racist.

It sure was, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say they hated certain ethnicities/races because those groups were deliberately brought in to break the union/scab. Union guys loving hate scabs and the employers decision to import a different race/ethnicity is a deliberate tactic.

The different periods of migration in the US were basically the quest for lower cost labor by using different groups against each other. Although the fact that the waves of immigration were from different area may have merely been very very convenient rather than a plan conscious or not. Now that transportation costs are low the companies can just ship the whole factory overseas and domestic stuff that you can't send overseas uses illegal migrants that work for less and have zero access to recourse. The best kind of labor!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

An Angry Bug posted:

Has he actually said this? Because the first time I've seen it brought up in the thread was N4I's Fox News-style "just asking questions."

rkajdi posted:

Because being rural is a protected class like being a native American. Oh wait...

Seriously, unless we do something, we're just going to continue to fight the culture war into the future. I don't want some kid consigned to permanent loserdom by not winning life's lottery and being born in the backwoods. But obviously teaching kids that races aren't physically real things and that LGBT people deserve equal treatment is just oppression, instead of making sure we don't have to fight against a bunch of spiteful regressive backwater people yet again.

rkajdi posted:

How is removing a child out of an abusive situation beating a poor person? The child's well-being is more important than allowing the parent to continue to parent. If you abuse your kids, you shouldn't have the privilege of raising them. Note that I've seen the same trash being put up by good, upstanding middle class families too. Both should be losing their kids.

I get that the state raising kids is usually lovely, but at some point it's better than being dead due to lack of medical treatment or broken due to constant abuse. If we're calling this "physical-enforced mind control", I'd love to have seen what any of you would have said during the women's lib movement. Is it bad that state would step in and beat up and imprison someone for abusing their spouse? And if we're going to protect grown people, why the hell not protect children who are far less able to defend themselves against adults?

rkajdi posted:

Depends on the wrongthink. "I get to abuse the gay out of my kid", "I want to homeschool them into permanent underclassdom", and "My useless religion wants to deny them medical care" are all abuse. Sorry, your kid is a future member of society, not some extension of the parents. I want kids who are more competent and educated than my generation was.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Miss the KY County Clerk saga?

Considering its still ongoing thanks to Liberty Council using it as a placard for support? No.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Those fears are based on racist assumptions.

ok we get it while people are racist I'm glad you can sum up 400 years of North American labor in a word.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

he must hail from the benighted suburbs

nice meltdown

In all seriousness though. Living in Kentucky where people in rural areas were actively admitting they voted for Matt loving Bevin and then were shocked, shocked, that he took away their healthcare (but still think they did the right thing), I can understand the anger and frustration. Largely because of the rural vote (and abysmally low turnout but dammit I'm gonna shake my impotent fist anyway), I'm standing by helplessly as Kynect had literally had its plug pulled---the site now gives you a 404---the KYHC was immediately dismantled, he gave millions of dollars to a creationist museum to build a loving ark, and sexual assault is apparently no longer a reason for suspension/expulsion from schools.

Does this mean round everyone up into camps, gas them, and brainwash their children? gently caress no, gently caress that guy for mentioning it or even thinking it. Plus, loving Conway didn't even bother telling people in his stronghold urban cities to come out and vote. But someone voted that rear end in a top hat in, and outside of Berea, I'm drawing a complete blank for a non-urban center that would've voted against him.

I hold Louisville in the same disregard as Nader voters in Florida 2000---they could've made a difference given the low turnout, but they couldn't be loving bothered. But the rural vote is the main reason we have a psychopath in the governor's mansion right now, and I think that's as much a reason to be very, very angry with them as we would with whatever Trump's key demographic is if he wins. Stupid white old makes? gently caress, I dunno.

Fascism is bad and stupid and wrong but let's not white knight an entire demographic that has doomed the state to Mad Max style anarchy. I'm sure individually there's some lovely people out in the East and West but a literal goddamn measurement has been taken that there's a whole lot of awful ones.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 5, 2016

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Torpor posted:

ok we get it while people are racist I'm glad you can sum up 400 years of North American labor in a word.

You very much can sum up the history of American labor with the word: racist. You can sum up American history with that word too, for the most part.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

nutranurse posted:

You very much can sum up the history of American labor with the word: racist. You can sum up American history with that word too, for the most part.

Ok that is true got me there.

Edit: I mean the more broad way you phrased it. Race/ethnic hatred has historically been used by employers to gently caress over workers. I think that is why the left has more recently adopted anti-racism stances, for instance by the Wobblies, to counter the that tactic and to unify labor.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 5, 2016

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Maybe it is religious he just doesn't like jews.

Wait, that isn't better.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Joementum posted:

I'll take "More people unfamiliar with structuring" for $1000, Alex.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Talmonis posted:

The biggest problem I have with the whole vaping thing is the candy and fruit flavored crap, which is likely targeted at getting children to buy it like they used to with flavored cigarettes.

There's no reason to ban this along as peppermint schnapps is still available.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Yeah we're gonna see a lot more of this because this is exactly what "religious liberty" means to the people pushing for RFRA style bills.

Expect a lot of time, energy and resources to be wasted in the next decade fighting over this blatant nonsense.

Chokes McGee posted:

and sexual assault is apparently no longer a reason for suspension/expulsion from schools.

Wait what

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
All labor is xenophobic by its very nature. It's not an American phenomenon, and the only "unique" aspect of America's labor is how badly black people and natives were ground underfoot to get the country up and running.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
There's no way you can convince me that pudgy stubby-fingered motherfucker hasn't touched himself while thinking about children.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Talmonis posted:

All labor is xenophobic by its very nature. It's not an American phenomenon, and the only "unique" aspect of America's labor is how badly black people and natives were ground underfoot to get the country up and running.

Well many European nations did it too, they just ground people in their native countries rather than live alongside them.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

We must stop those religious extremists who pay to marry their children off to each other and oh wait they're Christian nevermind

quote:

1) The ‘youth’ ready for marriage has breasts. A woman who is to be married is one who has breasts; breasts which signal her readiness for marriage, and breasts who promise enjoyment for her husband. (We believe that ‘breasts’ here stand as a symbol for all forms of full secondary sexual characteristics.)

2) The ‘youth’ ready for marriage is ready to bear children. Unlike modern society Scripture sees the woman as a bearer, nurser, and raiser of children. The ‘young woman’ is the woman whose body is physically ready for these things, physically mature enough to handle them without damage.

quote:

Bride price: What is it, and why is it important? Wouldn’t a bride price be like selling your daughter?

A “bride price” is anything paid or given by the man or his representative at the time of his betrothal or receiving his bride.

Scripture certainly teaches about it, but it is not mandated, however, except in the case of a couple of laws. The law concerning bride price (Exodus 22:16-17) indicates that . . . the bride price was a normal part of the marriage process.

The bride price plays a significant function: It shows the woman’s value, and the point isn’t that the father gets the money but that he keeps it for his daughter, if her husband should ever abandon her.

But wait, you ask, does not a legitimate marriage require the consent of both people marrying?

quote:

Doesn’t a legitimate marriage require the consent of both the people marrying?

Scripture speaks of the father of the son “taking a wife” for his son, and the father of the bride “giving” her to her husband (Jeremiah 29: 6; Judges 21: 7; Ezra 9:12; Nehemiah 10: 30; 1 Corinthians 7:36-38). It gives example after example of young women being given to young men, without the young woman even being consulted, and often, in some of the most Godly marriages in Scripture, the young man is not consulted.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Let me present you with the greatest newspaper cover image ever:

That donkey is so happy

Pounded in the rear end by My Own rear end

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Talmonis posted:

Ok, unless your goal is some sort of minimum income, I have to question how you might plan helping the lives of the poor. "Getting a grown up job" is not a valid answer.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Radbot posted:

There's no reason to ban this along as peppermint schnapps is still available.

Alcohol doesn't have remotely the same penetration into school communities as tobacco products. And it's much harder to aquire (as it's much tighter regulated) for a child than cigarettes are. The legal purchase age is a large part of it, and likely why California is raising the minimum to 21.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Luigi Thirty posted:

We must stop those religious extremists who pay to marry their children off to each other and oh wait they're Christian nevermind

But wait, you ask, does not a legitimate marriage require the consent of both people marrying?
Can we get an article on this that doesn't include the sentence "I can't even with this" so I can share this horrible thing that is happening without embarrassing myself?

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Talmonis posted:

I can see that, but again I think the racist/bigoted response stems from economic resentment that is fostered by employment tactics. Calling labor racist could be correct but that would be like punching someone who then falls over and then calling that person clumsy. ( I am bad at analogies)

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

MacheteZombie posted:

I don't know a single person who vapes to quit smoking.

I think the closest anyone really gets to this is 'has to be better than actual cigarettes'. My parents started because it was cheaper than cigarettes at the time, then kept doing it because they stopped coughing up tar and poo poo. There's no way the poo poo's healthy, but from superficial observation they seem to be hacking and coughing less.

They don't use those bigass lightsaber looking vape things that sound like somebody trying to clear a lungful of water when you fire them up, though. I have to imagine they're huffing less of that poo poo than is typical.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mea culpa, that one's actually unrelated to Bevin. It's just normal terribleness!

E: aaaand on second read assault/abuse is not covered so I was misinformed. Still lovely though!

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 5, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Torpor posted:

It sure was, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say they hated certain ethnicities/races because those groups were deliberately brought in to break the union/scab. Union guys loving hate scabs and the employers decision to import a different race/ethnicity is a deliberate tactic.

The different periods of migration in the US were basically the quest for lower cost labor by using different groups against each other. Although the fact that the waves of immigration were from different area may have merely been very very convenient rather than a plan conscious or not. Now that transportation costs are low the companies can just ship the whole factory overseas and domestic stuff that you can't send overseas uses illegal migrants that work for less and have zero access to recourse. The best kind of labor!

Yeah no, the Labor movement was just as racist as anyone else. No mitigating it by blaming the Chinese or Mexicans for taking our jobs. The fact blacks were banned from most unions is all the proof you need.

Wobblies were like the biggest exception.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MacheteZombie posted:

I don't know a single person who vapes to quit smoking.

Tons of guys in the military claim that they do.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Technogeek posted:

Pounded in the rear end by My Own rear end
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of that.

(this is the space where I'd post a picture of "Pounded in the Butt by My Own Butt" but I'm not googling that poo poo at work)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I hope you don't actually talk to people and say this stuff out loud, you're the liberal boogeyman that republicans are scared of.

No, that's me. I'm super authoritarian and also sincerely believe in one world government complete with tracking chips, controls on movement, and all that other good stuff. And probably a lot of unfortunate but necessary sidelining, let's call it, of people who won't go along. Which is for the best really because we're going to need a population reduction.

• Locked thread