Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

TheresaJayne posted:

Amount of steam, Number of blades, and Number and type of coil blocks all make a difference. in Rotation speed and 900 / 1800 is the ideal speeds for a turbine.

80 blades 32 Ludicrite coil blocks and 2000mb/t steam put the rotation at just under 1800 rpm but within the green zone and produce 25k RF/t - and can be powered with a 7x7x3 reactor at 75% cores (3x3 core in the middle with liquid ender) for a total of 0.02mb/t of yellorium

My bad, what I meant was the shape of the turbine given the same number of blades/steam/coils/etc. I found out that the shape and dimensions don't matter except with regard to building costs: http://ftbwiki.org/Big_Reactors/Highest_Power_Data#Optimal_Unattended_Enderium_Designs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Need help with a rannuncarpus.

I know it needs a block underneath the block it sits on.
I know it will then place items ontop of blocks that have the same block under it.

Mine refuses to plant stuff.

However, a creeper from nowhere blew my up under the base while i was trying to figure this all out and all of a sudden my block-type inventory was then placed all the gently caress over my cobble stone floor. (I had a piece of cobblestone under it at this time.

So it was planting DIRECTLY on top of the given block.

When i put a piece of dirt under it, it would plant my trees where-ever dirt appeared. So if i harvested a pumpkin, in the place where the pumpkin was (which was now a dirt block, not a grass block) a sapling would be planted. There are no other blocks underneath anything, defintely not pumpkins.

My plan was to surround my farm with stone, then make sure the planting places cant become grass blocks, but i now have sheep all over, and pumpkins.

In the youtube vids they always use 2 layers of pozdil as you can plant tress on that. I dont have that, and cant get it.

Any ideas how to get this flower working ?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

Need help with a rannuncarpus.

I know it needs a block underneath the block it sits on.
I know it will then place items ontop of blocks that have the same block under it.

Mine refuses to plant stuff.

However, a creeper from nowhere blew my up under the base while i was trying to figure this all out and all of a sudden my block-type inventory was then placed all the gently caress over my cobble stone floor. (I had a piece of cobblestone under it at this time.

So it was planting DIRECTLY on top of the given block.

When i put a piece of dirt under it, it would plant my trees where-ever dirt appeared. So if i harvested a pumpkin, in the place where the pumpkin was (which was now a dirt block, not a grass block) a sapling would be planted. There are no other blocks underneath anything, defintely not pumpkins.

My plan was to surround my farm with stone, then make sure the planting places cant become grass blocks, but i now have sheep all over, and pumpkins.

In the youtube vids they always use 2 layers of pozdil as you can plant tress on that. I dont have that, and cant get it.

Any ideas how to get this flower working ?

Rannucarpuses plant on top of the selected block, not the way you initially described.

There are colored soil types made with colored pasture seeds; look up the pasture seeds section of the Lexica Botania. You can also make Podzol with a special pasture seed. You'll need a silk touch shovel to mine the podzol or colored grass.

Alternatively, yeah, you can surround the work area of the rannucarpus with stone or other non-plantable blocks. Use the manaseer's monocle to ascertain the range of the rannucarpus.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Any mods that make the nether less inhospitable (like have their own ores for crafting and stuff)? I was thinking about playing a game where the entire map is the nether.

Is there a seed for an all nether worldmap?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Furia posted:

Any mods that make the nether less inhospitable (like have their own ores for crafting and stuff)? I was thinking about playing a game where the entire map is the nether.

Nether Ores?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Furia posted:

doesn't Natura do this? and i think tinker's construct has a nether version of its smelter you can make

it's a delightful lovely brown

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Furia posted:

Natura is the main mod that enables survival in the Nether, as it lets you make a furnace out of netherrack among other nether-themed basic recipes, and it adds nether trees you can make tools out of. Biomes o Plenty introduces a biome that allows for vegetation- the Undergarden. Overgrown Netherrack in the Undergarden works like grass so you can bonemeal it to get tall grass to break for seeds. Nether Ores introduces ore into the Nether. One thing to remember is that farms do not explicitly require water, so you CAN farm in the nether, either on Overgrown Netherrack(I think?) or on actual dirt. You can get dirt by breaking some of the BoP blocks.

To enforce an all-nether overworld you'll need some way to alter worldgen. You can't just give Minecraft a seed.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I believe the Aqueous Accumulator can have its config set to basically produce water for free, albeit at a very slow rate. This and a sprinkler could probably water dirt for farms, or whatever else. Sugarcane is a bit of a problem though. But there are other ways to produce paper.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
BoP also adds "blood" to the Nether which is usable as water for farms.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Serifina posted:

BoP also adds "blood" to the Nether which is usable as water for farms.

Oh is THAT what it's for? ...can you make obsidian with it?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

McFrugal posted:

Oh is THAT what it's for? ...can you make obsidian with it?

I think so, yeah.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Serifina posted:

I think so, yeah.

Hah, well, that would certainly ruin any plans I had to make a modpack where the challenge was to escape the nether without a portal constructed already. Optimally I would've had Magical Crops in there and some fancy recipe to make the obsidian for the portal. I guess any modpack like that would have to run with Natura but not BoP. The only food sources left in the nether at that point are imp flesh and glowing mushroom soup. ...maybe a recipe to make dirt out of Natura's nether tree leaves? Still can't get seeds though.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

Rannucarpuses plant on top of the selected block, not the way you initially described.

There are colored soil types made with colored pasture seeds; look up the pasture seeds section of the Lexica Botania. You can also make Podzol with a special pasture seed. You'll need a silk touch shovel to mine the podzol or colored grass.

Alternatively, yeah, you can surround the work area of the rannucarpus with stone or other non-plantable blocks. Use the manaseer's monocle to ascertain the range of the rannucarpus.

Really? so they plant ontop of the block they are sitting on?

I might look into coloured grass once i find how to make silk touch. I just got my tree farm working and starting to get a little bit of mana now without babysitting every thing.

I may try to automate an orechid next though. But i need lava and my spawn in the nether is really bad :/

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

Really? so they plant ontop of the block they are sitting on?

I might look into coloured grass once i find how to make silk touch. I just got my tree farm working and starting to get a little bit of mana now without babysitting every thing.

I may try to automate an orechid next though. But i need lava and my spawn in the nether is really bad :/

no

here's a diagram

code:
R
D
B
R = rannucarpus
D = dirt
B = any block

the rannucarpus plants/places stuff on any of block B inside its range

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Black Pants posted:

Nether Ores?

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

doesn't Natura do this? and i think tinker's construct has a nether version of its smelter you can make

it's a delightful lovely brown

McFrugal posted:

Natura is the main mod that enables survival in the Nether, as it lets you make a furnace out of netherrack among other nether-themed basic recipes, and it adds nether trees you can make tools out of. Biomes o Plenty introduces a biome that allows for vegetation- the Undergarden. Overgrown Netherrack in the Undergarden works like grass so you can bonemeal it to get tall grass to break for seeds. Nether Ores introduces ore into the Nether. One thing to remember is that farms do not explicitly require water, so you CAN farm in the nether, either on Overgrown Netherrack(I think?) or on actual dirt. You can get dirt by breaking some of the BoP blocks.

To enforce an all-nether overworld you'll need some way to alter worldgen. You can't just give Minecraft a seed.

Cool, thanks guys. Can these two mods be used at the same time by any chance or is it choose one or the other?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

no

here's a diagram

code:
R
D
B
R = rannucarpus
D = dirt
B = any block

That makes sense. The target block has a variable y axis. Ive got it working ok now that i have moved stuff around. Though one of my bore lens mana spreaders stops working unless i have a constant stream on mana coming in. Which is weird as the pools are semi full at times. Putting a muchdew has solved that problem.

My next problem is slimeballs. How am i going to get slimes to spawn in a gog?
I have 2 blaze rods, so i can make a catalyst to change between cactus/slime (which is exactly what ill do so i can have cactus growing).

I need the slime for summer runes, to make exo things to power my furnances.

I have an automated orechid up and running. Had to turn it off because i dont need mountains of redstone :/

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Furia posted:

Cool, thanks guys. Can these two mods be used at the same time by any chance or is it choose one or the other?

Natura and BoP work perfectly well together. Nether Ores will wind up placing less ore than normal while BoP is active because BoP replaces a lot of netherrack with other blocks.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

no

here's a diagram

code:
R
D
B
R = rannucarpus
D = dirt
B = any block

What if its a floating flower?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

TheresaJayne posted:

What if its a floating flower?

then it's

code:
F
B
F = floating flower
B = block

this is good for blocks like grass that get destroyed when you place a solid block on top of them, though it doesn't let you use farmland (dispensers work for farmland instead)

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

McFrugal posted:

Hah, well, that would certainly ruin any plans I had to make a modpack where the challenge was to escape the nether without a portal constructed already. Optimally I would've had Magical Crops in there and some fancy recipe to make the obsidian for the portal. I guess any modpack like that would have to run with Natura but not BoP. The only food sources left in the nether at that point are imp flesh and glowing mushroom soup. ...maybe a recipe to make dirt out of Natura's nether tree leaves? Still can't get seeds though.

Could start in the nether with Ex-Nhilo and a couple blocks of dirt and a couple of oak saplings

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Anyone have a good guide to renewably generating all the essentia for Blightfall's dawn machine?

Edit so there's something more interesting:

Played through Blightfall again, this time focusing on magic. Most of my previous work was all tech so this was a first to get deep into botania and thaumcraft and it was a ton of fun.

Thaumcraft especially has some neat stuff you can do with things like the centrifuge - for example you can repair drat near everything using the Thaumic Restorer, which you can power using Instrumentum, which is really hard to get...but Fabrico isn't (4 per crafting table), and Fabrico spins into humanus and instrumentum in the centrifuge, so even a simple tree farm suddenly means you have infinite use of all your items given enough time . I might go try out building a 1.8 pack next.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 6, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Falcon2001 posted:

Anyone have a good guide to renewably generating all the essentia for Blightfall's dawn machine?

Thaumcraft especially has some neat stuff you can do with things like the centrifuge - for example you can repair drat near everything using the Thaumic Restorer, which you can power using Instrumentum, which is really hard to get...but Fabrico isn't (4 per crafting table), and Fabrico spins into humanus and instrumentum in the centrifuge, so even a simple tree farm suddenly means you have infinite use of all your items given enough time . I might go try out building a 1.8 pack next.

I can't remember all the essentia myself, but I can remember getting just about everything I needed from farming this stuff down into essentia:

1. Mobs--particularly for gold stuff Thaumcraft adds (lucrum?). It was nice to also melt down spare weapons and armors.
2. A wisp farm provided everything. They were not really sufficient for the dawn machine unless you refined everything, but it was useful to get compound essentias you needed for infusion.
3. A cow ranching rig for milk.
4. An inverted tree farm for a bloodwood was really good for metallum. Metallum was essential for alchemy--in particular for making gold. Arbor was a nice bonus.
5. A cobblestone generator getting pulverized into sand and smelted into glass for vitreum. That was important for making lots of certus.
6. A general-purpose farm handling sugar cane, cotton, barley, and nether wart.
7. An aqueous accumulator for water so I could get agua. Sometimes you just need more of it, but one could often cook down other essentia to get it.

I had banks upon banks of refineries breaking down stuff into other stuff, and voiding excess primal essentia. It was at that point I declared myself done with the game, because I could be bothered moving the dawn machine around and babying it. I tried to do something with AE2 spatial storage to migrate it, but it wouldn't move everything. I think the idea was to make an airship, but it was buggy as hell.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I can't remember all the essentia myself, but I can remember getting just about everything I needed from farming this stuff down into essentia:

1. Mobs--particularly for gold stuff Thaumcraft adds (lucrum?). It was nice to also melt down spare weapons and armors.
2. A wisp farm provided everything. They were not really sufficient for the dawn machine unless you refined everything, but it was useful to get compound essentias you needed for infusion.
3. A cow ranching rig for milk.
4. An inverted tree farm for a bloodwood was really good for metallum. Metallum was essential for alchemy--in particular for making gold. Arbor was a nice bonus.
5. A cobblestone generator getting pulverized into sand and smelted into glass for vitreum. That was important for making lots of certus.
6. A general-purpose farm handling sugar cane, cotton, barley, and nether wart.
7. An aqueous accumulator for water so I could get agua. Sometimes you just need more of it, but one could often cook down other essentia to get it.

I had banks upon banks of refineries breaking down stuff into other stuff, and voiding excess primal essentia. It was at that point I declared myself done with the game, because I could be bothered moving the dawn machine around and babying it. I tried to do something with AE2 spatial storage to migrate it, but it wouldn't move everything. I think the idea was to make an airship, but it was buggy as hell.

Thanks! That all seems like a good list. I just got myself a euclidaisy so that'll help eliminate some of the crazy auram requirements, and I've been using Hydroangea mana towers (well, anti-towers since I dug them into big pits) for power gen. Actually really enjoying those - I haven't done a ton with Botania before so it was nice to dive into it.

Are there any good 1.8 modpacks or is everyone still hammering it together themselves?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I seem to remember I got most of the essences I needed to run the dawn machine from wool and buttons. I think I may have a screenshot somewhere.

e:

Seems like I was pretty poo poo at taking screenshots, but I think that's breaking down pannus and fabrico from wool into the essences I used a lot of, and then downstairs was cobblestone -> button -> machina. You don't need the same amount of all the essences, and some you can mostly do without.

Wolfsbane fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 7, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Falcon2001 posted:

Are there any good 1.8 modpacks or is everyone still hammering it together themselves?
1.8 is going to be skipped for 1.9, because updating from 1.8->1.9 is trivial but 1.7 -> later is much less trivial.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Khorne posted:

1.8 is going to be skipped for 1.9, because updating from 1.8->1.9 is trivial but 1.7 -> later is much less trivial.

Extreme 1.9 Mega Pack seems decent enough. I added the following to it:

I don't recall if OptiFine worked or not as they just updated the other day and Technic wipes added mods.

EDIT: Nope, OptiFine 1.9.2_HD_U_B2 is a no-go; crashes on start-up.

lolmer fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 7, 2016

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Khorne posted:

Ah, fair enough. What's the status of 1.9 modding so far? Anything big?

Edit:

lolmer posted:

Extreme 1.9 Mega Pack seems decent enough. I added the following to it:

I don't recall if OptiFine worked or not as they just updated the other day and Technic wipes added mods.

Welp, that's cool. I'll have to check that out.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Falcon2001 posted:

Edit so there's something more interesting:

Played through Blightfall again, this time focusing on magic. Most of my previous work was all tech so this was a first to get deep into botania and thaumcraft and it was a ton of fun.

Basic tree farm for arbor, trim some leaves for herba too.

I did a rubber tree farm for the ordo - double smelt the rubber and make plastic sheets.

I had a wisp farm for aurum

Rancher-boiler for sano

I think i made buttons for machina? cant remember (had a golem workbench for that somewhere i think)

bowls for vacuos (so the tree farm is pretty important)

Think i skipped aer because it slowed everything down too much, too big an area.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Meskhenet posted:

Basic tree farm for arbor, trim some leaves for herba too.

I did a rubber tree farm for the ordo - double smelt the rubber and make plastic sheets.

I had a wisp farm for aurum

Rancher-boiler for sano

I think i made buttons for machina? cant remember (had a golem workbench for that somewhere i think)

bowls for vacuos (so the tree farm is pretty important)

Think i skipped aer because it slowed everything down too much, too big an area.

Nice.

I wish I hadn't moved into the swamp instead of mushroom island this time around, running a bit out of room now. Maybe I'll build a platform over to the eastern island now that I'm clearing it off and have some more room.

On the other hand this is by far the farthest I ever got. Using the airship from the floating city and just stuck the dawn machine on there, although I might rework it so it's a bit more drivable.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Falcon2001 posted:

Ah, fair enough. What's the status of 1.9 modding so far? Anything big?

Edit:

Welp, that's cool. I'll have to check that out.

A hugely revamped Mekanism is apparently on the way with custom object models.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Speaking of blightfall, is there a better way to get diamonds than the ol' standby of gigantic long tunnels?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Don't overlook the Arcane Bore. With a luck-enchanted focus pointed horizontally at low Y level it'll pull in a lot without your personal tedium.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Mzbundifund posted:

Don't overlook the Arcane Bore. With a luck-enchanted focus pointed horizontally at low Y level it'll pull in a lot without your personal tedium.

fair enough, I just setup a cursed earth farm which solves some other problems at the same time.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Falcon2001 posted:

Nice.

I wish I hadn't moved into the swamp instead of mushroom island this time around, running a bit out of room now. Maybe I'll build a platform over to the eastern island now that I'm clearing it off and have some more room.

On the other hand this is by far the farthest I ever got. Using the airship from the floating city and just stuck the dawn machine on there, although I might rework it so it's a bit more drivable.

My airships are just square platforms. The mod doesnt like any turning. So i fixed that by just removing/replacing the helm int he direction i want to go.
So my dawn machines are all set up and only move along cardinal points, but it is so much easier.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Falcon2001 posted:

Speaking of blightfall, is there a better way to get diamonds than the ol' standby of gigantic long tunnels?

If you have the mana to support it an Orechid can turn stone into ores, this includes diamonds.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Oh, I found another Nether-related mod. Pam's Harvest the Nether. It adds trees and Nether Gardens to the nether. I think it adds other plants too. Glowleaf or something.

Edit: HAHAHA there's a bee that turns nodes into Hungry nodes! Better make sure any nearby nodes are encased in obsidian before you try to crossbreed for the bee! Better yet don't put that apiary anywhere near any nodes until you have the desired bee. At that point it'll require a nearby node before the queen does anything, anyway.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 9, 2016

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

oh that sounds pretty cool.

Ive just been messing about with botania. I think my pack would do well from pam's harvest and probably agricraft. Does anyone know if mana bursts with a bore lens destroy crop sticks?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Meskhenet posted:

oh that sounds pretty cool.

Ive just been messing about with botania. I think my pack would do well from pam's harvest and probably agricraft. Does anyone know if mana bursts with a bore lens destroy crop sticks?

They do. Use a Drum of the Wild instead to harvest crops.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
So I haven't really touched Minecraft for years and there's a dizzying number of mods now, anything essential I should pick up that makes life easier or should I just hop into vanilla with a texture pack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

So I haven't really touched Minecraft for years and there's a dizzying number of mods now, anything essential I should pick up that makes life easier or should I just hop into vanilla with a texture pack?

If you just want a kitchen sink 'throw all the mods ever in a blender and see what foul mess rises to the top' pack then you should go try out the FTB Infinity Evolved pack on the FTB launcher...On the other hand if you want something more structured there's quite a few packs for that including Blightfall on the Technic Launcher.