Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

ethanol posted:

The Xbox one is already really small; can't see it getting any smaller

theultimo posted:

Your joking right

No, he's 100% right.

It can't get any smaller because MS is bad at designing electronics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Crazy internet rumor: Nintendo NX might not use optical storage, will switch back to cartridges

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Why the gently caress not.

What are the manufacturing costs of a blu-ray disk vs an SD card?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Because its a hybrid handheld with no games at launch so it will of course have a 3ds slot

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Costs on producing "cartridges" of this side have reached a point where this starts kind-of becoming feasible. There's a pro-con tradeoff which is about right at this point.

Per-unit cost is higher but not necessarily cripplingly so like it was in the N64 days. Better read speeds means installs aren't necessarily required, can possibly get away with smaller internal storage for the console itself which will be important if it's portable (not good for spinny disks), and may have better options for >50 gig games in future should the need arise.

Wheany posted:

Why the gently caress not.

What are the manufacturing costs of a blu-ray disk vs an SD card?

Blu-ray discs on on the order of pennies for 50 gigs, 32 gig SD cards seem to be sub-$15 on eBay.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

univbee posted:

Blu-ray discs on on the order of pennies for 50 gigs, 32 gig SD cards seem to be sub-$15 on eBay.

Contract price for 32 gigs of NAND flash is $1.50 right now. Blu-ray replication is around $2-$3 for a dual layer (50 GB) disc with packaging.

Basically: Smartphones, tablets and SSDs have driven the costs of NAND flash way the hell down, and as less people are buying optical media in favor of streaming, the pressing costs of blu-ray haven't dropped to the level that the CD and DVD formats have.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 5, 2016

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Instant Sunrise posted:

Contract price for 32 gigs of NAND flash is $1.50 right now. Blu-ray replication is around $2-$3 for a dual layer (50 GB) disc with packaging.

Goddamn, that's a lot closer than I expected. gently caress optical media.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

univbee posted:

Goddamn, that's a lot closer than I expected. gently caress optical media.

Last time I used a disk was in the Xbox one and it didn't install right anyway

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

We've come full circle and cartridges are cheaper again.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Maybe the NX is the N64...GB

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

They're not even bothering to pretend to give a gently caress about third parties this time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just rip the bandaid off already and go digital only. gently caress the people who keep thinking up imaginary scenarios of one or two gamers living off the grid not having access to video games, as if anyone with that kind of life style is playing video games.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Just rip the bandaid off already and go digital only. gently caress the people who keep thinking up imaginary scenarios of one or two gamers living off the grid not having access to video games, as if anyone with that kind of life style is playing video games.

Physical is still too huge, especially in Japan where people don't do credit cards. See this?

This was a lineup to RESERVE a regular edition of the most recent Pokémon game. On 3DS. Which you could buy digitally without putting on pants. This was just a year and a half ago.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Yeah, but Japan loves waiting in lines. Look at the shape of the country. It's just a bunch of landmasses waiting in line.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Jokes on us the NX is going to distribute games on amiibos.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Takoluka posted:

Yeah, but Japan loves waiting in lines. Look at the shape of the country. It's just a bunch of landmasses waiting in line.

Exactly, they don't give a poo poo about this all-digital future. Nintendo's not going to do it because Japan, Sony's not going to do it because also Japan, and Microsoft literally died trying.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Takoluka posted:

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Is anyone really surprised anymore that the Japanese don't line up for Americans dropping bombs in Tokyo

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

univbee posted:

Physical is still too huge, especially in Japan where people don't do credit cards. See this?

This was a lineup to RESERVE a regular edition of the most recent Pokémon game. On 3DS. Which you could buy digitally without putting on pants. This was just a year and a half ago.

omg why

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

univbee posted:

America is better than Japan.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

People in America do that for iPhones though so I guess it's whatever

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I'm kind of surprised since trade-ins aside (which are admittedly huge in Japan) Japan should be embracing the hell out of digital. No long-rear end lines. No item taking up physical space. Hell, order online and get it release day, drat. And yet you'd think it was Black Friday every single time a major title launched, especially major Nintendo titles and Monster Hunter. And I'm guessing Final Fantasy XV will be total insanity too. :munch:

Bass Bottles posted:

People in America do that for iPhones though so I guess it's whatever

Yeah but you can't download an iPhone.

Yet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

univbee posted:

Japan is made to suffer for their sins (creating anime).

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

that pic is a perfect example of why japanese people don't deserve to live on an island paradise

neither can they engineer buildings that properly withstand an earthquake but their queue forming is atrocious

ever here of take number i mean jesus look at that walkway, it's going to kill at least three dozen people

i forgot they're all anime freaks too

let's just hope a tsunami hit a few minutes after this picture

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ethanol posted:

an island paradise

Holy poo poo you have some serious misconceptions about the bulk of Japan's geography if you think this.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Judge not a country by the character of its nerds

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

Holy poo poo you have some serious misconceptions about the bulk of Japan's geography if you think this.

Its a smelly humid network of valleys packed with unhappy smokers

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

Judge not a country by the character of its nerds

speaking of judging a character of a nerd i thought this was the xbox thread please don't probate me for cullutural hate, mods i apologize thought iw as talking about hawaii anyawys

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, nobody hates the otaku like Japanese people.

A major anime convention got cancelled due to the big tsunami. The governor of Tokyo publicly said they deserved it. Then he was re-elected.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

It's like a glimpse into the future of Donald Trump's America

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Which is funny, because deep down, he knows that otaku help control the economy despite Abe's earnest attempts to make sure it crumbles to the ground.

On top of that, Japan loves foreign otaku who visit, because they also spend tons of money.

They might hate otaku, but they certainly don't hate their money.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

lucky for me i dont know what otaku means

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Takoluka posted:

Which is funny, because deep down, he knows that otaku help control the economy despite Abe's earnest attempts to make sure it crumbles to the ground.

On top of that, Japan loves foreign otaku who visit, because they also spend tons of money.

They might hate otaku, but they certainly don't hate their money.

Yup. This is also why the bulk of lower-cost anime series and videogames are fanservice-y: that guarantees a certain intake, and oftentimes their business strategy is this:

1. How much money do we want to make? This is x.
2. How many people are so broken they will buy our special edition boxset/saucy anime figurine/whatever no matter what it costs? This is y.
3. OK x divided by y is what the boxset/anime figurine is going to cost.

ethanol posted:

lucky for me i dont know what otaku means

anime weeaboo

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

And then they majorly hosed that up by putting America and Japan in the same blu-ray region. So all the Japanese fans would just wait for the American release and import that instead of buying the overpriced Japanese release.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Instant Sunrise posted:

And then they majorly hosed that up by putting America and Japan in the same blu-ray region. So all the Japanese fans would just wait for the American release and import that instead of buying the overpriced Japanese release.

Some studios counter-measured that in various ways, after all this wasn't new due to LaserDiscs which redefined "are you loving kidding me?" pricing ($100 for a single 30-minute episode? Such value!). Also although it's not explicitly region-locked, it is possible for Blu-ray players to do weird things which block Japanese options on non-Japanese players. I have several Blu-ray discs, especially from Warner Bros., which have every world language on them because they decided to just make a single disc for the entire world :effort:, and if I rip the disc I can find and pull the Japanese tracks, but they're inaccessible to me via straight playback. So the disc does this:

Japanese players: only allow English and Japanese language options.
Non-Japanese players: allow all languages except for Japanese.

Also some Blu-ray discs will lock the ability to play in straight Japanese (as in without subtitles) and stuff like that.

Hell, here in Canada there are two separate DVD releases of Amélie: One has no subtitles at all (it's an unbelievably lazy PAL-to-NTSC conversion of the European French DVD and is missing features which are on the menu; you hover over them and a "not available" message comes up), and the other has subtitles in English and Spanish but you can't turn them off at all (you can cycle them but they'll always be enabled). Even better, they programmed in two sets of each subtitle track. Why? So if you're watching on a 4x3 TV the subtitles are shifted upwards because they have to guarantee that the subtitles are obstructing the picture. Seriously. Two separate distributors who all did the dumbest poo poo imaginable due to both laziness and not pissing the other off.

univbee fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 5, 2016

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Seriously why do you nerds know all this asinine poo poo

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ethanol posted:

Seriously why do you nerds know all this asinine poo poo

Isn't knowing asinine poo poo like the definition of a nerd?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

As for why I know poo poo I was stationed in Okinawa way too long

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
my genius idea brain can retain information which i can recall later, basically at will. i can remember whatever i want, and even some things i would rather not. i use this to store things i might want to know later, and even some things i will never need to know again just because it tickles my fancy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

univbee posted:

Some studios counter-measured that in various ways, after all this wasn't new due to LaserDiscs which redefined "are you loving kidding me?" pricing ($100 for a single 30-minute episode? Such value!). Also although it's not explicitly region-locked, it is possible for Blu-ray players to do weird things which block Japanese options on non-Japanese players. I have several Blu-ray discs, especially from Warner Bros., which have every world language on them because they decided to just make a single disc for the entire world :effort:, and if I rip the disc I can find and pull the Japanese tracks, but they're inaccessible to me via straight playback. So the disc does this:

Japanese players: only allow English and Japanese language options.
Non-Japanese players: allow all languages except for Japanese.

Also some Blu-ray discs will lock the ability to play in straight Japanese (as in without subtitles) and stuff like that.

Hell, here in Canada there are two separate DVD releases of Amélie: One has no subtitles at all (it's an unbelievably lazy PAL-to-NTSC conversion of the European French DVD and is missing features which are on the menu; you hover over them and a "not available" message comes up), and the other has subtitles in English and Spanish but you can't turn them off at all (you can cycle them but they'll always be enabled). Even better, they programmed in two sets of each subtitle track. Why? So if you're watching on a 4x3 TV the subtitles are shifted upwards because they have to guarantee that the subtitles are obstructing the picture. Seriously. Two separate distributors who all did the dumbest poo poo imaginable due to both laziness and not pissing the other off.

Remember VCD's from Asia? Those had no penetration in North America yet huge in Asia. It was a terrible format

• Locked thread