Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

It's an Anti-privatization movement. What's disgusting is that it suggests that a "diversity of melanin" is less important than a "diversity of thought," but that may have been one of their facebook posts and not the op-ed. Ohio State's administration is basically privatizing our university (and cutting professor positions to keep enough revenue to do so) while surveys repeatedly show students and staff don't want our resources to leave OSU (for example, here's a survey released in march). They're even trying to shutdown our on campus power-plant just to get a cut of money from AEP.

I dunno, maybe it's just me being annoyed with reactionaries.

Good ol' academic mismanagement. Sounds like OSU has funding problems and the administration is scrambling to keep things together. Its a public university, so lobbying state congress for better funds is probably a better idea.

The hard part is that students are only around the institution for four years or so, so their opinions regarding the administration of the university pretty much don't matter in the eyes of the university.

E: This probably isn't the place for this discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It could also be used to smack a child that has misbehaved in the face

"I was beaten and I turned out fine."

No, you turned into an advocate for child abuse.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It could also be used to smack a child that has misbehaved in the face

I'll never understand these types of posts. I was spanked with kitchen utensils as a kid, and all it really gave me was barely manageable anger issues and anxiety. No way do I idolize that method of parenting.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

SpacePig posted:

I'll never understand these types of posts. I was spanked with kitchen utensils as a kid, and all it really gave me was barely manageable anger issues and anxiety. No way do I idolize that method of parenting.

I saw someone arguing that a study which showed that spanking etc correlate with negative outcomes in adults wasn't worth taking seriously because it didn't account for "bad kids" who would have turned out lovely no matter what their parents did. It wasn't spanking or hitting with belts or whatever that was the problem, the problem was that some kids are just lost causes no matter what you do, so you might as well hit them anyway because it could help if they aren't!

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Can we please not have this derail?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Met posted:

The problem is that sometimes kids turn out fine in spite of having horrible childhoods, and sometimes kids with ideal childhoods turn out to be train wreck adults. So each side of the debate is gonna claim their method 'worked', when they might either be giving themselves way too much (or too little) credit in the matter. And nobody on Facebook is going to put their own ego aside and admit "I was a lovely parent and it hosed my kids up".

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

This new 'rogue one' trailer is the blatant definition of SJW/ feminist propaganda and the substantial amount of positivity about this movie greatly disturbs me.

Now, I know its inserting my own subjective bias, but I really hope you guys aren't against me on this.

The moment I walked out of the 'force awakens'(more like mary sue and her band of feminists), I knew this was a great disgrace and something I was ashamed to spend my money on.

So tell me your opinion on this travesty of what might very well be the beginning of the end of our species.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I mean off the bat in SW:ANH, Mon Mothma tells us that many Bothan spies (and we can assume many other races/peoples) died to get the death star plans so I guess take solace in the fact that the main protagonist in RO:ASWS is gonna eat it.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Scarf posted:

I mean off the bat in SW:ANH, Mon Mothma tells us that many Bothan spies (and we can assume many other races/peoples) died to get the death star plans so I guess take solace in the fact that the main protagonist in RO:ASWS is gonna eat it.

In my experience the vast majority of these are either lesbians and/or male-to-female skinjobs, thus not really relevant to the mgtow story.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Honestly this was funnier when I hadn't scrolled down and thought there was just one image. I pictured the guy just rambling on and on...

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

chitoryu12 posted:

Honestly this was funnier when I hadn't scrolled down and thought there was just one image. I pictured the guy just rambling on and on...

Yeah, I was thankful that the uploader spared me from having to read the entire tirade but then it kept going :(

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Ah, the "gay-friendly Israel" meme, which of course only applies if you're Jewish.

Israel doesn't give a gently caress if a Palestinian is gay or not when they're bulldozing their house.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Scarf posted:

That was RotJ! :argh:

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust

Beastie posted:

This is going to be the new "actually it's Frankenstein's monster"

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Beastie posted:

I was so disappointed to realize a few days ago that my joke about looking forward to watching a bunch of Bothans die this Christmas ended up being inaccurate.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
In order

YEAH WIFE WTF

then a quick follow up

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Haha, man touches stranger who didn't ask him to, goes on (pretend) rant about society's assumption that physical contact is sexual, patronises her by stating that he feels it's his duty as a man to comfort a crying woman, makes a woman's issue all about him. And you can bet your rear end he was just trying to get laid.

Men.txt.

EvilGenius has a new favorite as of 18:35 on May 5, 2016

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Met posted:

The only way to make them better people is to continue beating them (I condone this course of action).

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
This isn't IoSM but IIRL, but I went to get a haircut today, and the guy ahead of me was rambling to the barber about Target's bathroom policy. The gist was that he didn't think people who were born gay or people who feel like they were born with the wrong genitals are bad people at all, but it's "about as normal as someone being born with one arm. It's not their fault they were born that way, but it's not 'normal', and no one's going on TV saying we should get one arm cut off to be more like them." He wrapped up with, "so if we're saying we have doctors and scientists working towards preventing birth defects, maybe we can also stop people from being born gay or confused."

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Punctuation, but not capitalization? What is this barbarism?!

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

BJPaskoff posted:

This isn't IoSM but IIRL, but I went to get a haircut today, and the guy ahead of me was rambling to the barber about Target's bathroom policy. The gist was that he didn't think people who were born gay or people who feel like they were born with the wrong genitals are bad people at all, but it's "about as normal as someone being born with one arm. It's not their fault they were born that way, but it's not 'normal', and no one's going on TV saying we should get one arm cut off to be more like them." He wrapped up with, "so if we're saying we have doctors and scientists working towards preventing birth defects, maybe we can also stop people from being born gay or confused."

This is a terrible argument in many ways, but the part about people cutting off their arm "to be more like them" analogy is just insane. Is that what he thinks trans people want, to force involuntary gender-swapping on everyone??

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

genetic_knockout posted:

This is a terrible argument in many ways, but the part about people cutting off their arm "to be more like them" analogy is just insane. Is that what he thinks trans people want, to force involuntary gender-swapping on everyone??

Not involuntary, he was insinuating the hypothetical one-armed people would be on TV making the one-armed lifestyle look appealing and preaching one-armed acceptance so other people would convert.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

That adult joke isn't very funny. Maybe it needs an image?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Aramek posted:

WARNING
ADULT JOKES
18+

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The hits keep coming in my state.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friend...medium=facebook

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aramek posted:

A poster on the something awful forums?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

BJPaskoff posted:

There is an annoying kind of bully pulpit that involves people saying hosed up stuff like this knowing full well most reasonable people don't have the energy to get in an argument with a stranger which just reinforces their messed m up opinions. I can't blame you for not wanting to bother validating his statements with a response, and at the same time I worry it emboldens all the other silent people who agree with him. :(

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

You should only refer to a vagina as sexual parts when you're logging everything you found in the killer's basement for a police report.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

This post is crazeballs, but I think it's adorable Munn is taking some high and mighty position over Morena Baccarin when she played a moron interior designer girlfriend who eats a ring that was literally in human poo poo two scenes earlier like 6 years ago http://www.g4tv.com/videos/43133/slammin-salmon-behind-the-scenes-with-olivia-munn/

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Maybe Olivia Munn is a terrible person and a hypocrite but 6 years is a long time ago so I don't think you can hold that against her in particular.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

13Pandora13 posted:

This post is crazeballs, but I think it's adorable Munn is taking some high and mighty position over Morena Baccarin when she played a moron interior designer girlfriend who eats a ring that was literally in human poo poo two scenes earlier like 6 years ago http://www.g4tv.com/videos/43133/slammin-salmon-behind-the-scenes-with-olivia-munn/

You seem to have taken the fact she didn't find the role appealing rather personally.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

13Pandora13 posted:

Or maybe that was six years ago and she doesn't want to play those parts anymore.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Puntification posted:

You seem to have taken the fact she didn't find the role appealing rather personally.

I think throwing other women under the bus for something you have done yourself is hypocritical and petty when it's hard enough for women in media, so...yeah?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

13Pandora13 posted:

I think throwing other women under the bus for something you have done yourself is hypocritical and petty when it's hard enough for women in media, so...yeah?

Who did she throw under the bus? I didn't read the article, just the headline describing her taste in roles. Where did she pass judgment?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

13Pandora13 posted:

"I'm not interested in this type of role" is quite a few steps away from being high and mighty over another actor. I've checked out a few different articles and I can't find her saying anything of the sort.

Perhaps you read the situation incorrectly?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Yeah idk based on that headline my reaction was 'Olivia Munn seems cool'

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

The amazing ultra-smug atheist and his sexist sidekick strike again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I feel extremely lucky that I've only seen one incident of political bitch-slapping on my Facebook over the Fort McMurray fire disaster.

Long story short: one of our cities was almost burned completely down due to an unstoppable forest fire, the entire city of ~80,000 was evacuated, it happens to be the city that houses all of the oil sands workers, and people have been using it as an excuse to attack both left and right wing parties for every possible reason you can think of. Everyone has been extremely civil and genuinely concerned, putting aside petty politics to come together as a community. It's pretty amazing, actually :unsmith: