Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
the podcast with me is up! I am at work so can't listen to it properly. But please revel in all the times I talk over Phil, and I bet he didn't edit out the dead air! I've invited the Tumblrinas to fill my inbox with crappy asks, but they have to quote me accurately to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

Double post, but I bring the content! Another book excerpt, this one on the concept of pwnage.

And for all those jonesing for a preview, Phil extends the Social Media Shill offer: "if you can credibly claim that you’d get information about the book out in front of people who don’t already read Eruditorum Press and follow me on social media, get in touch and I’ll happily consider sending you a preview copy."

Sandifer posted:

Moldbug unpacks this in terms of Dawkins’ own famed biological metaphor for ideas as “memes,” focusing on the idea of a parasitic memeplex, which is to say, a hostile and destructive cluster of ideas. Being Moldbug, he approaches this in preposterously manichean terms, proclaiming that “when we see two populations of memes in conflict, we know both cannot be healthy, because a healthy meme is true by definition and the truth cannot conflict with itself.”

I showed this quote to a friend, and he got super angry at Moldbug's creationist-level understanding of biology metaphors. It was hilarious.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
How does your friend feel about Richard Dawkins? :allears:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

neonnoodle posted:

How does your friend feel about Richard Dawkins? :allears:

He tried to read The Selfish Gene but apparently it gets bogged down by Dawkins whining about Christianity being a virus and most of what it says Dawkins has walked back over the years anyways.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I just pretend Richard Dawkins died on the same day Christopher Hitchens passed away. It's better than watching him ruin his own legacy with batshit crazy NRx endorsements.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

A White Guy posted:

I just pretend Richard Dawkins died on the same day Christopher Hitchens passed away. It's better than watching him ruin his own legacy with batshit crazy NRx endorsements.

And what a legacy it was :rolleyes:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I don't understand why that excerpt is talking about Dawkins getting pwned. Dawkins has never pwned anyone, and no one will ever pwn him.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

He coined the term 'meme'. :eng101:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

A White Guy posted:

I know, but even if I didn't I'd still stand by my :rolleyes: after learning this.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

GunnerJ posted:

I don't understand why that excerpt is talking about Dawkins getting pwned. Dawkins has never pwned anyone, and no one will ever pwn him.

I dunno, I think getting him to ask that people stop calling him "Dick Dorkins" counts as a pwn.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I don't remember The Selfish Gene making any comment on religion, except maybe in the part where he talks about memes but that's a completely separate appendix iirc

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Who What Now posted:

I dunno, I think getting him to ask that people stop calling him "Dick Dorkins" counts as a pwn.

https://twitter.com/richarddawkins/status/336048706853937152

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
My podcast does its job, driving the right sort of person into a fury. Of course he attempts to use the best of Yudkowsky to refute the typical of Yudkowsky, and of course he's a Bitcoiner who thinks we need to address questions about race more and uses the term "Antiversity" and reblogs Steve Sailer.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
NRxaB is Sneer Culture, yes, but if it isn't also a 50,000-word post on Cafe Chesscourt I don't know what is.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

A White Guy posted:

Hey kids, here's a new idea for how ideas work. I can't decide if it's more like genes or viruses, which, in the terms of my specialty, is kind of like not knowing if something is more like a horn toad or an eyeball, but I feel the thin veneer of scienciness will be enough that some internet person will take this seriously, then re-purpose it to mean pictures of a puffin with terrible opinions.

-the lost final final chapter of the Selfish Gene

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Heath posted:

I don't remember The Selfish Gene making any comment on religion, except maybe in the part where he talks about memes but that's a completely separate appendix iirc

I asked him and he said in later editions, it's in the preface. In the first edition you apparently have to wait a few chapters.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Hey kids, here's a new idea for how ideas work. I can't decide if it's more like genes or viruses, which, in the terms of my specialty, is kind of like not knowing if something is more like a horn toad or an eyeball, but I feel the thin veneer of scienciness will be enough that some internet person will take this seriously, then re-purpose it to mean pictures of a puffin with terrible opinions.

Now there's a pretty meme! Exquisite!

Man, now I just wish they had gotten Dawkins to voice Monsoon.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

P.S.
Why, no, I have never heard of semiotics why do you

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

neonnoodle posted:

P.S.

Do you really expect neckbeards to :smug: out over a branch of the humanities?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

neonnoodle posted:

P.S.

Or like, the entire science of anthropology.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Or like, the entire science of anthropology.

Sweet merciful loving Jesus don't even get me started on NRx/DE and anthropology... :smith:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Oligopsony posted:

NRxaB is Sneer Culture, yes, but if it isn't also a 50,000-word post on Cafe Chesscourt I don't know what is.

To be fair, the podcast is in fact the last chapter of The Northern Caves.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Let's see, eugenics and idiots who should have no place in the field acting out their nazi fetishism.

Poe rose back from the dead, saw the net, and died again, in pain of knowing his Law has became meaningless.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

inkblot posted:

Now there's a pretty meme! Exquisite!

Man, now I just wish they had gotten Dawkins to voice Monsoon.
Memes... the DNA of the soul.

I wonder if more people have been exposed to that idea through Revengeance than through Dawkins' work.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Just listened back to the podcast. Jesus, I sound like my father, you can hear the doddering coming in already. Good once we get warmed up though. The upset listener before must have listened at least as far as minute 57, so full points to him. Hopefully you'll enjoy it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

Just listened back to the podcast. Jesus, I sound like my father, you can hear the doddering coming in already. Good once we get warmed up though. The upset listener before must have listened at least as far as minute 57, so full points to him. Hopefully you'll enjoy it.

I thought it was pretty good. You were both on the nose about Yudkowsky's sincerity making him way easier to like than Land or Moldbug.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The podcast was enjoyable and made me discover that despite being a regular reader of I Die: You Die and having even re-read Alex Reed's book, I'd never heard Seeming. So it was a bonus!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

To be fair, it is a matter of some debate in the genetics community about where viruses end and genes begin with regards to things like viral DNA that has ended up stuck in another organism and has lost the ability to move out and non-tandem repeat DNA which are chunks that copied all willy-nilly throughout your genome, for no real purpose other than replicating themselves.

Of course genetics has proved things like "98% of human variation occurs within populations, only 2% between them" so it's not like being scientifically wrong has stopped NRx types before

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

To be fair, it is a matter of some debate in the genetics community about where viruses end and genes begin with regards to things like viral DNA that has ended up stuck in another organism and has lost the ability to move out and non-tandem repeat DNA which are chunks that copied all willy-nilly throughout your genome, for no real purpose other than replicating themselves.

Of course genetics has proved things like "98% of human variation occurs within populations, only 2% between them" so it's not like being scientifically wrong has stopped NRx types before

Thank you for making my hatred of dick dorkins more accurate

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
To be fair, though, we don't have a way of quantifying meaningful phenotypic difference on the basis of the percentage of shared alleles. Like, who's to say if it's that 1-2% that "counts"?

The issues, IMO, have more to do with the lack of a rigorous definition of intelligence, let alone any good evidence for its genetic underpinning. Human intelligence is polymorphic and situational, it doesn't make sense to talk about it as a phenotype.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hey, that book's like 40 years old. It can be a little wrong. Semiotics was like 100 years old at the time, though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
There's an alternate universe where Dawkins was kinda live and let live on religion and Gould was super aggro about it, and in that universe nerds go really hard on punctuated equilibrium and spandrels and never mention meme theory.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

There's an alternate universe where Dawkins was kinda live and let live on religion and Gould was super aggro about it, and in that universe nerds go really hard on punctuated equilibrium and spandrels and never mention meme theory.
:qq:

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

There's also one where Marx finished all six volumes of Das Kapital and we achieved global communism.

This is truly the darkest timeline

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The NaB KS is over $6K so we're getting the Trump chapter! I'd say we've got a great shot at the Austrian Economics chapter and maybe a few more!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

GunnerJ posted:

He had a public meltdown over a jar of honey. He loving pwned himself.

This is just a single one in a long list of public meltdowns by him.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ddraig posted:

He had a public meltdown over a jar of honey.

I need to know more.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Night10194 posted:

I need to know more.

Dick Dorkins, inventor of memes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
But calling him Dick Dorkins sounds like a reference to Dick Durkin, who is a loving awesome character and should never be linked with Richard Dawkins in any way.

"We're going to need bigger guns. Big, big loving guns." -- Dick Durkin, Split Second*

*If you haven't seen Split Second, go watch it. Relevant scene here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQvMWD-_Nfo