Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timn
Mar 16, 2010
My personal hand wave is that administration from the major factions down to their constiuencies is loose enough that there's plenty of infighting to go around. As a lone pilot running errands, you're gonna take the fall sometimes when getting mixed up between competing minor factions. But as long as you come out ahead with a reputation for getting poo poo done, the major faction will like you more on the balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

quote:

- Players are no longer awarded bounty vouchers for destroying their own ship while in a vehicle

Also, there's a bunch of fixes to what happens if you're pledged to a dead PP power, so Archin Delaine might not be long for this world.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

I'm still effectively a newbie with a Vulture and 10 million credits is still a lot of money... do I care about this Engineers stuff? Sounds like its more like end-game content?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Eldragon posted:

I'm still effectively a newbie with a Vulture and 10 million credits is still a lot of money... do I care about this Engineers stuff? Sounds like its more like end-game content?

You want a C3 multicannon with your vulture?

Also there's loot to grab up and hoard until you can do some engineer mods (which are free aside from reputation/mats I believe.)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You should care very much:

To get higher tiers, you need to buy upgrades from the engineer, so...
e: This is still in beta for a while though so no hurry. By the time it's live you'll be rich. :v:

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You want a C3 multicannon with your vulture?

Also there's loot to grab up and hoard until you can do some engineer mods (which are free aside from reputation/mats I believe.)

Oh I totally want to try C3 multicannons out (Dual or one Beam one Multicannon?).

But I was referring to this "Engineers" stuff. If I can hoard loot and spent it months from now when I actually know what I'm doing all the better. Basically the same tactic I use for approaching crafting in every other RPG.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Insert name here posted:

I'm pretty sure this is almost impossible given that missions outside of CZ missions are almost always in another system barring a few edge cases.

I still get missions from time to time where the system I'm asked to head to for murdering cops or whatever is also primarily run by that minor faction. But also it would be nice to stop having missions that are also a coin flip of if your target will be wanted or not. "Okay, it's a 'cancel their contract. with murder' mission. The last two of these with identical text beyond destination, they were wanted... Oh, it's a clean one this time."

But "well TECHNICALLY you can't be wanted with Major factions!" aside, Still want more consistently accessible "Hey, go do this combat related thing without it resulting in a bounty." missions. Regardless of "But why even pay the bounties?", It's still pretty bonkers that most of the time the Empire or Feds is asking me to prove my loyalty to them, is by doing things that piss of their sub factions.

"Okay, it's time for you to become a Viscount! Your options on this board load to prove your dedication to protecting the Empire are- Murder Empire affiliated cops. Murder Empire affiliated Miners. Smuggle this scrap metal to Empire Affiliated stations. "

At least "We'd let you ferry these 16 tons of washing machines but you're not The Trader equivalent of Dangerous yet" sounds like it is on the way out.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 5, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Whats that explorer, you feel like exploring is too easy now days? Ok, I'm sure you'd like the new advance scanner, thats no longer omni directional and has an effective range of just 10 angles. Enjoy.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Whats that explorer, you feel like exploring is too easy now days? Ok, I'm sure you'd like the new advance scanner, thats no longer omni directional and has an effective range of just 10 angles. Enjoy.

Wait what

WHAT

I guess "everything that takes place near or on the surface of the planet" isn't the only thing :frontear: is going to make absolutely miserable

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

New weapons:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Wait what

WHAT

I guess "everything that takes place near or on the surface of the planet" isn't the only thing :frontear: is going to make absolutely miserable

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/264961761836821957/EEBE26C8499E7CEA27F81100A9CAA29A703AC42B/

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

So active range INF means nothing to you?

That's how close and what angle you need to be at to detail scan the object.

E: I mean :frontear:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Not gonna lie. That is some tasty stuff.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 365 days!
Do I need to do a mission or something for an engineer before I can visit their base? I've got invitations, and I can see their bases on the galaxy/system map, but they don't show up in the nav and when I get close it shunts me away regardless.

e: I'm an idiot who was in the 1.6 beta instead of the Horizons beta.

the bsd boys fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 5, 2016

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Post pics of the Corvette tia

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So active range INF means nothing to you?

That's how close and what angle you need to be at to detail scan the object.

…which rather leads to the opposite suggestion: that maybe they're exposing more of those numbers, not just to make mechanics less opaque, but to offer more opportunities for neat QoL upgrades and mods to pursue. I certainly wouldn't mind being able to get my hands on something with 10–20% longer detailed scan range or a wider scan cone.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Just booted up the beta after it failed to complete the installation multiple times.
First thing I check:

The Controls menu is actually easier to navigate!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Tippis posted:

…which rather leads to the opposite suggestion: that maybe they're exposing more of those numbers, not just to make mechanics less opaque, but to offer more opportunities for neat QoL upgrades and mods to pursue. I certainly wouldn't mind being able to get my hands on something with 10–20% longer detailed scan range or a wider scan cone.

Which is great but people flipping out that OMG ADS NERF need to settle down.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

I haven't played for months and don't want to read an insanely long list of patch notes; is the new UI also a recent addition, because it's about 50 times better than the lovely old one and seems to actually have lots of useful information.

It seems pretty rediculous to me that they sit on so many QoL changes for 6-8 months at a time and poo poo them all out at once but I assume it's easier for them to not be pushing smaller patches that actually make meaningful changes to the game or UI.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

radintorov posted:

Just booted up the beta after it failed to complete the installation multiple times.
First thing I check:

The Controls menu is actually easier to navigate!

Best Update.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

It seems pretty rediculous to me that they sit on so many QoL changes for 6-8 months at a time and poo poo them all out at once but I assume it's easier for them to not be pushing smaller patches that actually make meaningful changes to the game or UI.

N4i please add

- :qq: they should have done this forever ago :qq:

to your list tia

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Smuggling slightly easier with a fix!
Stop AI (often police) from scanning ships (particularly players) when docked at a station/outpost
Fixes to AI scanning players with silent running enabled

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Honestly system/station bookmarks are one of my favorite parts of this patch.

Trade loops are going to be sooooo easy!

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 365 days!
NPCs now boost away at top speed the second their shields drop. what fun

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

TRON JEREMY posted:

Well at least that's not just stopping and spinning in place.

Unless they still do that too.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Icedude posted:

Well at least that's not just stopping and spinning in place.

Unless they still do that too.

In the beta notes, it says they won't do that anymore. Perhaps they'll put up a fight.
So get your cannons that knock them off course and :getin:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

TRON JEREMY posted:

Yes, it is extremely tedious and kind of kills Cr/hour for bounty hunting.

Large ships also chain SCB's and make a beeline to wake out once the shields are down.

So it's like fighting players!

Fighting in ice rings sure is pretty though.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 6, 2016

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
If I bought Horizons after the steam launch, can I access the beta?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

nightwisher posted:

If I bought Horizons after the steam launch, can I access the beta?

Nope.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 365 days!

IAmTheRad posted:

In the beta notes, it says they won't do that anymore. Perhaps they'll put up a fight.
So get your cannons that knock them off course and :getin:

i would but the random drops havent given me any of the loot i need to craft those.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Truga posted:

You should care very much:

To get higher tiers, you need to buy upgrades from the engineer, so...
e: This is still in beta for a while though so no hurry. By the time it's live you'll be rich. :v:

Is anyone cataloging all the upgrades available?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

I haven't played for months and don't want to read an insanely long list of patch notes; is the new UI also a recent addition, because it's about 50 times better than the lovely old one and seems to actually have lots of useful information.

During the Planet Coaster live stream one of the devs said they'd love to give more frequent updates, but it takes them about a week to get a build ready and there'd come a point where they'd spend more time getting builds ready for release than they'd spend actually implementing features and fixes.

Different game, but I imagine the process is similar for Elite.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Is that a size 2 module that is both a discovery scanner and a detail scanner?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

As of right now, non-FdL or FAS combat ships in PvE are not worth the trouble. You get shields down and NPC's boost out of range. If friendly NPC's are in the area and they blow it up while you're out of range, no bounty. They come back when their shields are up but if their hull goes below a certain percentage they boost away and jump out.

You can mount missiles and try to target engines as they boost away and that kind of works sometimes but not every ship can mount missiles -- I have them in the c1 slot on my corvette and that's 12 shots. Basically you need one of those burst gimmick PvP builds to bounty hunt now.

If this goes live as is, RIP combat builds for the Vulture, Anaconda, Python, Corvette, etc.

E: this changes when in a wing of course but yeah still not fantastic

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 6, 2016

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The whole combat dynamic is changing, we're meant to fit weapons to take out modules to prevent escapes and have to worry about that a lot more. Then engineers offer mods/ammo to further make that a thing, including ammo which just shuts down the thrusters/FSD or knocks them off course. When beta went up they were basically like "you must relearn to fight, that is how different combat is going to be."

The new class 3 and 4 weapons also look like they will significantly increase the DPS of ships capable of fitting them so that will also change things a lot.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Is that a size 2 module that is both a discovery scanner and a detail scanner?

Well, since it says "class 1" on it I would say it's not. He's just equipping it in a class 2 slot.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

The flee mechanic is bad and is going to turn a lot of people off.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Space Skeleton posted:

The whole combat dynamic is changing, we're meant to fit weapons to take out modules to prevent escapes and have to worry about that a lot more. Then engineers offer mods/ammo to further make that a thing, including ammo which just shuts down the thrusters/FSD or knocks them off course. When beta went up they were basically like "you must relearn to fight, that is how different combat is going to be."

The new class 3 and 4 weapons also look like they will significantly increase the DPS of ships capable of fitting them so that will also change things a lot.

So combat is basically locked away from players until the RNG blesses them with the right mods?

If they want to make every fight a knock down, drag out fight that is fine. Just make the rewards worth it.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Xae posted:

So combat is basically locked away from players until the RNG blesses them with the right mods?

If they want to make every fight a knock down, drag out fight that is fine. Just make the rewards worth it.

Nah, just use missiles which now totally screw over whoever they hit by slamming multiple modules with a bunch of damage. The engineer mods are just more advanced stuff than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Xae posted:

Yeah this. WHen fighting the NPC's they actually put up a fight. It isn't a cakewalk. It is enjoyable It's just incredibly frustrating to whittle down something (often through multiple SCB charges) only to have to dash out of range and then jump away -- that feels cheap.

Space Skeleton posted:

Nah, just use missiles which now totally screw over whoever they hit by slamming multiple modules with a bunch of damage. The engineer mods are just more advanced stuff than that.

Unless they have PDT or EMP fitted which most NPC's do.

I've spent this evening trying to "make it work" and the only thing I can really say is that the flee behavior needs tweaking.

• Locked thread