Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Fi is good, and my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

codenameFANGIO posted:

Fi is good, and my friend.

I'm glad of your friendship friend, but she is not an effective fighter.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

My usual tactic against Wizzro is to stand just out of range of his attacks and then shoot him with the bow when his weak point appears, that stuns him long enough to dash in and start beating on him. You have to anticipate the gauge appearing though, if you wait until you see it before firing you won't hit him before it disappears.

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I need to get an A-rank on the Adventure Map H-2 mission (defeat the commanders of 2 armies with Zelda to unlock H-1. Problem is, I'm killng things far too slowly. I don't know if Level 32 is too low for that map with the Baton or what, but I tried with the level 2 rapier too to similar poor effect. Is there a trick to clearing the map fast or do I just need to farm up more goddamn rupees and dojo up?

Also, I'm not sure if you've done this already (though with Zelda at lv32 and a lv2 rapier, I'm guessing no), but as a general tip in Adventure mode, it's always best to prioritize defeating the boss of the map and unlocking the next one so you'll get access to all the weapon upgrades quickly as possible, as weapons make a much more gigantic difference than levels. Zelda's rapier in particular is one of the easier weapons to upgrade, with the l3 and l4 versions being found rather early on in the Master Quest and Twilight maps, respectively.

The bosses are located at Spectacle Rock in the upper-left of Adventure, the roof of the Tower of the Gods in the center of the Great Sea, and the extreme upper-left of Master Quest. No need to blitz down the bosses of Twilight/Termina since there's no maps after them. (though beating the maps will let you carry more fairies, fwiw)

Regarding getting those drat A-ranks on damage, everyone go get the water fairy located a few tiles east of the starting point in Master Quest. This fairy starts with "Wall of Water" as her default rental skill, and it works exactly like Sheik's water shield, absorbing 2000 damage points before you start to lose hearts again. While it can't be recharged infinitely like Sheik's shield can, and it does go away if you switch to another character, it will still make everyone's live 10000x easier.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I actually have beaten the boss of the first Adventure Map - I'm trying to clean up the remaining weapons and characters before I move on to the Great Sea Map. Should I hold off on that?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I didn't. I'm cleaning up great sea now. Hope you like "find the traitor" maps.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Fi has some effective moves, but I feel like her attack power needs to have its decimal moved over to be actually correct.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Takoluka posted:

Fi has some effective moves, but I feel like her attack power needs to have its decimal moved over to be actually correct.

She's in the same boat as Ruto where nearly all of her frames are vulnerable frames. C2 is weak as hell and doesn't let you follow up, C3 is tiny and keeps you stationary, C4 is okay for mooks but does crap damage, C5 is fine...ish, and C6 tends to get you smacked about and gets blocked a good two thirds of the time.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I actually have beaten the boss of the first Adventure Map - I'm trying to clean up the remaining weapons and characters before I move on to the Great Sea Map. Should I hold off on that?

The only real bottleneck I had in the first adventure map was the Zelda map we were talking about, so if you've beaten it you should be able to get the rest of the weapons and characters around. I'm not much farther along than you, so I couldn't tell you if there's anything later on that might be really useful, but it seems like basically all of the rewards on the first adventure map are doable at this point (unless there's some really hard heart containers hidden around that I haven't tried).

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The original adventure map was re-tuned around level 30's, great seas 40s-50

development: got two maps (and one re-do for the second skulltula) to go on the great sea :toot:

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
The Great Sea map actually isn't that much more difficult than the original map - parts of it are actually even easier, especially compared to the Death Mountain area on the original map, for example.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Hm... if I'm going to give my opinions, I think these are the expected level ranges for each map if you want to know whether or not you can clear the easiest or the hardest missions on each:

OG Adventure Map: 1-30
Great Sea Map: 5-45 (Demon King probably expects you to have a Lv. 2 weapon for the characters doing that mission.)
Master Quest Map: 30-60 (Characters are probably expected to have at least a Lv. 2 weapon before starting Master Quest missions. Demon King also probably expects you to have a Lv. 3 weapon for the characters doing that mission.)
Twilight Map: 40-70 (Characters are probably expected to have at least a Lv. 3 weapon before starting Twilight Map missions, though I did clear one really early mission using just a Lv. 2 weapon on a lv. 45 character.)
Termina Map: 50-75 (Characters are probably expected to have at least a Lv. 3 weapon before starting Termina Map missions.)

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I've finally cleaned out all the 'major' unlocks from the first Adventure Map. The Wind Waker map comparatively feels like it's lobbing softballs at me, challenge-wise... I imagine that will change once I get into the later parts of the map.

Should I bother cleaning up all the remaining fairy foods on the Adventure map? Are there any particularly good companion fairies/foods I should be looking for? I have a light fairy and a lightning fairy, but that's all I've got so far.

I'll confess that I don't exactly know how fairy-raising works; I've just been throwing magic beans and deku nuts at my fairies when I find them.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 5, 2016

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I've finally cleaned out all the 'major' unlocks from the first Adventure Map. The Wind Waker map comparatively feels like it's lobbing softballs at me, challenge-wise... I imagine that will change once I get into the later parts of the map.

Should I bother cleaning up all the remaining fairy foods on the Adventure map? Are there any particularly good companion fairies/foods I should be looking for? I have a light fairy and a lightning fairy, but that's all I've got so far.

Definitely make sure to get all 5 fairies on the first map.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Dunban posted:

Definitely make sure to get all 5 fairies on the first map.

But the game says I only have room for 4. Does that mean I'll have to throw one away?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

ZZT the Fifth posted:

But the game says I only have room for 4. Does that mean I'll have to throw one away?

Yeah, but if you beat Ganon on the first map you'll get room for one more.

Zertoss
Apr 29, 2009
Wait, how do you get 5 fairies? I finished the first Adventure map and now I can have 4.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Zertoss posted:

Wait, how do you get 5 fairies? I finished the first Adventure map and now I can have 4.

Oh, is it only after the Great Sea map that you can store 5? Sorry, my bad

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
Are there better fairies on the Great Sea map, or?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Folt The Bolt posted:

Hm... if I'm going to give my opinions, I think these are the expected level ranges for each map if you want to know whether or not you can clear the easiest or the hardest missions on each:

OG Adventure Map: 1-30
Great Sea Map: 5-45 (Demon King probably expects you to have a Lv. 2 weapon for the characters doing that mission.)
Master Quest Map: 30-60 (Characters are probably expected to have at least a Lv. 2 weapon before starting Master Quest missions. Demon King also probably expects you to have a Lv. 3 weapon for the characters doing that mission.)
Twilight Map: 40-70 (Characters are probably expected to have at least a Lv. 3 weapon before starting Twilight Map missions, though I did clear one really early mission using just a Lv. 2 weapon on a lv. 45 character.)
Termina Map: 50-75 (Characters are probably expected to have at least a Lv. 3 weapon before starting Termina Map missions.)

Honestly I'd probably knock ten off of all those last three. I've been clearing Lv4 weapon missions on Termina with Lv37 characters that have sub-optional Lv3 weapons, and most characters are between 45-55. Bombos and Shade are probably making up a lot of the difference.

I think I only resorted to Item Powerup for one map, which was Dominion Rod Lv4 because gently caress killing Wizzro in a timely manner with the Dominion Rod.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I'll confess that I don't exactly know how fairy-raising works; I've just been throwing magic beans and deku nuts at my fairies when I find them.

The worthwhile fairy spells are definitely Dark and Fire, so try and get those doubled up. Your fairy will learn a spell at levels 25 and 50, and you can learn two of the same for double effect. The food you feed it influences which elemental spell it will learn, but the initial blast of magic power will always be of the element of the fairy. You can teach a light fairy double-fire spells, for example, and that'll let you use light and fire elemental items on it.

This might be a good idea because Fire cost reducing items are scarce until Termina and Twilight maps.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Does it matter what fairies I get? I have room for 6, and I have 1 of each type now, plus an extra Fire one that I don't use. I've already invested a lot of food in those 5 and I don't really see the point in having more than one of each type

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Does it matter what fairies I get? I have room for 6, and I have 1 of each type now, plus an extra Fire one that I don't use. I've already invested a lot of food in those 5 and I don't really see the point in having more than one of each type

No. It does not matter what Fairy you get. Except for the elemental damage you do.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Honestly I'd probably knock ten off of all those last three. I've been clearing Lv4 weapon missions on Termina with Lv37 characters that have sub-optional Lv3 weapons, and most characters are between 45-55. Bombos and Shade are probably making up a lot of the difference.

I think I only resorted to Item Powerup for one map, which was Dominion Rod Lv4 because gently caress killing Wizzro in a timely manner with the Dominion Rod.

Bombos and Shade ARE making up a lot of the difference. My list does not take Fairy nukes (or the spells) into account.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

mabels big day posted:

Fairies found on later maps have different personality traits, so they can get different kinds of skills.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

When I leveled up my Dark fairy, she got the Water skill Ether instead of Shade. I don't know why that happened. Am I missing out on Shade?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What element 'upgrade' your fairy gets depends on what you feed her. I believe mushrooms increase dark attributes, while magic beans boost water.

Also you can change a fairy's personality trait if you level her enough but it takes a long hecking time.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
What foods are good for raising fire magic?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

ZZT the Fifth posted:

What foods are good for raising fire magic?

The 'fire' foods in total are pumpkin soup, stamina fruit, elixir soup, hot spring water, rock sirloin, meat, and ember seeds.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.
So how do you get more foods than just magic beans for the fairies? I think I've seen maybe 2 carrots otherwise and nothing else.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

ZZT the Fifth posted:

It does. Hoo boy it does.

Any advice for fighting Phantom Ganon? The Great Sea map is starting to throw him at me with a lot more regularity now and uh...

The results are not pretty. This was using Sheik, currently my highest level character and the one I use for "easy" A-ranking. I'm a little bit rattled.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Blaine the Train posted:

So how do you get more foods than just magic beans for the fairies? I think I've seen maybe 2 carrots otherwise and nothing else.

Gold-rank food shows up as treasure on an Adventure map. It'll be in a brown pot somewhere, usually in an enemy keep. Once you've gotten a gold food, regular food of the same type will drop infrequently from enemies.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Silver Falcon posted:

Any advice for fighting Phantom Ganon? The Great Sea map is starting to throw him at me with a lot more regularity now and uh...

The results are not pretty. This was using Sheik, currently my highest level character and the one I use for "easy" A-ranking. I'm a little bit rattled.

Anecdotally - if he doesn't open the fight by chucking either balls of light (hit them back at him three times) or the balls of red (he chucks 5 at once, stand far enough back to hit them all at once) to knock him into his weak point, then you'll want to open the fight with a magic punch knock down (ie, use your magic, then immediately finish it on him) because otherwise he takes forever

the first time he goes down, he starts to use more moves that leave him vulnerable, when he chucks lasers, he'll finish with a laugh. bomb him. when he does a massive lightning spin attack, he'll end in a laugh, bomb him.

I've heard people have had luck jumping behind him and bashing his cloak, but it's never worked for me.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

tithin posted:

Anecdotally - if he doesn't open the fight by chucking either balls of light (hit them back at him three times) or the balls of red (he chucks 5 at once, stand far enough back to hit them all at once) to knock him into his weak point, then you'll want to open the fight with a magic punch knock down (ie, use your magic, then immediately finish it on him) because otherwise he takes forever

the first time he goes down, he starts to use more moves that leave him vulnerable, when he chucks lasers, he'll finish with a laugh. bomb him. when he does a massive lightning spin attack, he'll end in a laugh, bomb him.

I've heard people have had luck jumping behind him and bashing his cloak, but it's never worked for me.

For Phantom Ganon, in the first phase you have to reflect the lightning ball three times, or one of the dark balls (no need to knock all of them back at him). For his second phase, get behind him and attack his back three times, easiest to do when he's finished doing his lightning sword beam attack or his lightning spin attack. Alternatively, lob bombs (the uncharged version at him). The first hit turns Phantom Ganon around (so his behind is facing you), while the rest will hit him enough times to stun him.

In unrelated news, the time to completely unseal the Master Sword has finally come. Good thing for me that I left Gold Skulltulas behind on the earlier Adventure maps on purpose because I can simultaneously down the KO requirements for the Master Sword skills AND finish up the Illustrations at last..

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 6, 2016

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh thank Christ, Fi's lv 2 weapon mission lets you bring a friend. That was Master Sword Power Hour and Fi Helps (a little).

Lana's lv 2 Summoning Gate is the same. After two failures of actually bringing characters with the recommended element, I said gently caress it and had Lana use her Book and brought Sheik to do the heavy lifting.

It's like the devs knew Fi is garbo and decided to throw the player a bone!

So... Fi from the future, and Fi helps?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Speaking of unlocking KO skills, do they have to be done in one level or is it a cumulative thing?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's cumulative, and kills by fairy bomb don't count.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 6, 2016

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I unlocked a skill immediately after I used a fairy bomb - anecdotal, I know, but it happened :shrug:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I just checked myself and it turns out I was wrong. Fairy bombs all the way.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Should be noted that Fairy Nukes don't count all the KOs made by the Fairy Nuke when it comes to unsealing weapons.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Thanks for the Phantom Ganon advice, all! Didn't realize I could use bombs on him.

Keiya posted:

So... Fi from the future, and Fi helps?

Yeah, essentially! Fi is a lot more useful after she goes to sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Is there any kind of guide for fairy food around that will tell me what food to cram in which fairy yet?

• Locked thread