Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Digirat posted:

But look at all these straight swords for you to use! You want to use straight swords, right?

Maybe it's because I'm some sort of n00blet who needs to git gud with this being my first Dark Souls experience, but I played the whole game as a Knight with the straight sword they give you to start. STR gem whichever that is (hard?) and +10 eventually. I tried to use the Iryithll sword a few times but it requires twinkling to upgrade and by the time I had enough to make it good I didn't care.

There seems to be a bunch of really cool and gimmicky weapons yeah, but in the end I just kept going back to the basic straight sword. Even FUGS, was meh and I was like 50 STR.

Same goes for armor too but we've covered that armor is essentially useless in the game and just wear whatever you want so long as you wear something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

Sorry if this is a question that gets asked a lot but what exactly is the effect of using a weapon that gives you the message of "this weapon will not be effective with current stats" or "this weapon will not be effective unless wielded with two hands"?

It doesn't seem like it affects swing speed or anything. Is it just straight up less damage? More stamina use?

You do gently caress-all damage and it consumes 2x stamina until you meet the correct stats. Sometimes they swing a little slower too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Sorry if this is a question that gets asked a lot but what exactly is the effect of using a weapon that gives you the message of "this weapon will not be effective with current stats" or "this weapon will not be effective unless wielded with two hands"?

It doesn't seem like it affects swing speed or anything. Is it just straight up less damage? More stamina use?

Damage and stamina use.

I kind of miss how Dark Souls 1 did the "you don't have enough Strength to wield this effectively" thing, because you got an entirely separate attack animation set with the weapon where your character struggles to heft it and just flails uselessly. It was hilarious.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Harrow posted:

Damage and stamina use.

I kind of miss how Dark Souls 1 did the "you don't have enough Strength to wield this effectively" thing, because you got an entirely separate attack animation set with the weapon where your character struggles to heft it and just flails uselessly. It was hilarious.

Funny, but I am so glad it's not there anymore because now I can try out everything from the get-go unless it needs, like, absurd Faith.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Harrow posted:

Damage and stamina use.

This was funny but it didn't let you look at the moveset to see if you wanted to put in the stats to use something so dark souls 2's and 3's way is probably better.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Harrow posted:

I wish in the case of being strong enough to wield a weapon but not dexterous enough you just swing a weapon and fatally stab yourself in the leg.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ugh, finally finished the insane covenant materials grind. I had like 60 of every Silver Knight piece by the end of it and ran out of space for Titanite Shards about halfway through. Finally I can move on to NG+.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I think I'm getting towards the end now. It's taking me loving forever but drat it I'm gonna finish this one.

I can't believe how easy the Dragonslayer Armour was. I was in full 'oh poo poo' mode when I stepped through the fog wall but the fight lasted like 30 seconds. Considering how many times Yhorm and Dancer crushed me I was amazed.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
There's a big difficulty spike after dragonslayer armour.
At least it was for me anyway. I didn't really struggle with the game until after I beat that boss.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

MrAristocrates posted:

Ugh, finally finished the insane covenant materials grind. I had like 60 of every Silver Knight piece by the end of it and ran out of space for Titanite Shards about halfway through. Finally I can move on to NG+.

Probably you should have waited until NG+ or even NG++ to grind out the ears, since there's two free ones as loot per cycle, and you can get the Gold Serpent Ring +1/2 which I guess would make it ever slightly less painful. Also more rusted gold coins.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Aldrich down! :toot:

I won't say he was easy, because he definitely wasn't, and the phase 2 arrows are maybe the most brutal attack I've encountered, but I definitely never felt outmatched or anything--nothing that he does is so fast that you feel like you don't have time to think. I'm pretty sure I died more to Vordt than to Aldrich. Feels good to Git Gud.

Onwards, to the dungeons!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Grondoth posted:

WHY ARE SO MANY WEAPONS JUST BAD

Such as? I haven't used a weapon yet that felt completely terrible in PvE.

VVV Chaos fire orb is better for PvE in basically every situation. Vestiges is really only useful in PvP where the fast cast and projectile speed can make a big difference in a fight.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 5, 2016

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

So which is objectively better, great chaos fireorb or chaos bed vestiges? Vestiges seems to use a lot more mana but goes further and can sometimes hit for 700 damage. But the dot on chaos fireorb is rad.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Great scythe

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Aldrich down! :toot:

I won't say he was easy, because he definitely wasn't, and the phase 2 arrows are maybe the most brutal attack I've encountered, but I definitely never felt outmatched or anything--nothing that he does is so fast that you feel like you don't have time to think. I'm pretty sure I died more to Vordt than to Aldrich. Feels good to Git Gud.

Onwards, to the dungeons!

Those phase 2 arrows are easily my least favorite thing about an otherwise-great fight. It's just so annoying that the arrows last long enough that he can launch a second attack while you're still running away.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Anyone have an opinion on what the "best" halberd might be?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mazerunner posted:

Probably you should have waited until NG+ or even NG++ to grind out the ears, since there's two free ones as loot per cycle, and you can get the Gold Serpent Ring +1/2 which I guess would make it ever slightly less painful. Also more rusted gold coins.

I considered that, but higher risk of death while farming was not something I wanted to deal with. Besides, I got enough souls to buy every single set from the handmaiden and a shitload of Twinkling/Scales.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Aldrich took me like an hour to kill. Then I did Yhorn and Dancer (Yhorn was my 3rd cinder so Emma summoned me) in one go while only using 3 estus. :confused:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Notorious QIG posted:

Those phase 2 arrows are easily my least favorite thing about an otherwise-great fight. It's just so annoying that the arrows last long enough that he can launch a second attack while you're still running away.

Those arrows killed me like ten times but they were my favourite thing about that fight. They made it a constant challenge to get close.

The worst thing was when the little bitch teleported away as soon as you closed the gap.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Szcwczuk posted:

Probably Gundyr's. The thing hits like a truck. The Black Knight Glaive is very, very good as well.

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers

Szcwczuk posted:

tHE CHAMPS HALBERd

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I've tested it, even with the silvercat ring on you will not survive falling down the ladder above the Farron Keep bonfire

edit: Gundyr's halbert is the best, in terms of damage, style, grace, and feel

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

My first character in DS2 was a halberd guy. I seem to have missed an opportunity here. Honestly halberds are at the bottom of my list of new characters to start too with my spear/FTH user and mega strength UGS guy.

It's a shame I'll probably never get to it

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

BillmasterCozb posted:

I've tested it, even with the silvercat ring on you will not survive falling down the ladder above the Farron Keep bonfire

edit: Gundyr's halbert is the best, in terms of damage, style, grace, and feel

Silvercat Ring only removes damage on falls that still wouldn't have killed you. It doesn't reduce damage or give you the ability to take longer drops.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Digirat posted:

Great scythe

Ah, well from what I remember the scythe weapons have always been trash :v:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Mazerunner posted:

But I only had to go into ng+ halfway since I got copies of all the other rings from other people. Got my platinum anyway, hopefully dlc doesn't add trophies.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

VVV Chaos fire orb is better for PvE in basically every situation. Vestiges is really only useful in PvP where the fast cast and projectile speed can make a big difference in a fight.

This is Dark Souls. The presence of good weapons make everything else bad by virtue of their existence.

Internet Kraken posted:

Great Scythe enjoyed a period of prominence in DS1 PVP if I recall, but I've personally never liked the weapon type.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Internet Kraken posted:

Beelining the Farron Greatsword was a huge disappointment. Nothing like getting clowned on by goddamn Crystal Sage of all bosses on account of standing there for like a good second heaving the sword over your shoulder. I can't even imagine how you'd fight an actually fast adversary like Lorian with this poo poo.

Pulled out my backup Uchi and got the fight on the first try.

UGSes worked wonderfully in DS2 without being overpowered.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I used the Wolf's Knight Greatsword for all of 3, it takes some getting used to but Ultra Greatswords are manageable. Except in PVP.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

The scythe and great scythe were considered halberds in dark souls 1, and the great scythe was amazing. In dark souls 2 they moved the great scythe to a new reaper weapon type, which was very underpowered and gimmicky for a few reasons but did at least do comparable damage to other weapon types if you hit with the sweet spot, so it was usable if the environment was not too cramped.

I am through what I believe is most of dark souls 3 and have found no other reapers than the great scythe, and its damage is so pathetic I'm not sure the weapon was actually ever tested beyond making sure it functions. Also, its skill is so worthless it might not even exist. It blows because the moves look really cool and the weapon looks stylish.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 5, 2016

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Harrow posted:

For armor, just wear what you think looks good and that lets you roll normally. Make sure you have something equipped in any slot or your defense plummets. Other than that, the difference between armor defense ratings isn't enough to really care about that much.

Wait what? gently caress, is that true?

I've been rocking a no-helmet look for quite some time, just liking how my lady looks with her hair in the breeze and such

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Silvercat Ring only removes damage on falls that still wouldn't have killed you. It doesn't reduce damage or give you the ability to take longer drops.

:suicide: That explains a lot.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It's probably because the enemies in DS3 got faster but your basic slate of Dark Souls weapons didn't get faster to compensate. So the slow and heavy weapons that used to be balanced in earlier games in the series just become straight-up impractical.

I do enjoy the more sophisticated enemy movesets and general Bloodborne-ization of combat, especially since your character isn't made of glass like they are in Bloodborne, but I feel like it could have done with some balancing work. At least some serious buffs to the heavy weapon hyper-armor are in order.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cobalt60 posted:

I've been rocking a no-helmet look for quite some time, just liking how my lady looks with her hair in the breeze and such

Well, helmet and gloves are the least important.

But, basically, the absorption rating on a piece of armor is the percent of damage it'll absorb for you. If something has 13 physical absorption, it reduces all physical damage you take by 13%. To use the Knight set as an example: the Knight Armor (chest piece) has 13.1 physical absorption. Putting it on instead of wearing nothing will reduce all physical damage you take by 13.1%, no matter what else you're wearing.

Helmets and gloves aren't nearly as dramatic, to be fair. Most helmets are like 3-5 absorption or so, so by not wearing a helmet you're taking 3%-5% more damage (depending on what you'd be wearing otherwise). Gloves are even less.

Mr Dog posted:

It's probably because the enemies in DS3 got faster but your basic slate of Dark Souls weapons didn't get faster to compensate. So the slow and heavy weapons that used to be balanced in earlier games in the series just become straight-up impractical.

I do enjoy the more sophisticated enemy movesets and general Bloodborne-ization of combat, especially since your character isn't made of glass like they are in Bloodborne, but I feel like it could have done with some balancing work. At least some serious buffs to the heavy weapon hyper-armor are in order.

Weirdly enough, I feel more fragile in DS3 than I do in Bloodborne. So many enemies can three-shot you from 1300 HP in the late game. In Bloodborne, I felt like I could take more punches than that. Maybe it's just a perception thing--I expect to take lots of damage per hit in Bloodborne because I'm not wearing real armor, and I can heal very quickly and have lots of healing to use, plus I can regain it by staying aggressive. Each hit in DS3's late game feels like a minor catastrophe.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

I'm not a fan of it, especially since you don't have the bloodbourne incentive to be aggressive back in the form of healing on hit; you lose that health, period. And it's hard to find a spot to heal, since almost every enemy has a space closer attack to punish you for trying to make space.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

I'm not a fan of it, especially since you don't have the bloodbourne incentive to be aggressive back in the form of healing on hit; you lose that health, period. And it's hard to find a spot to heal, since almost every enemy has a space closer attack to punish you for trying to make space.

I like the faster combat, but I do think that they didn't really give the player as many tools to participate in it as you have in Bloodborne. Healing is more limited, for one thing, which you pointed out. And lots of weapons aren't fast enough to keep up easily. That's part of the reason why straight swords and the Estoc are so popular in PvE: they're fast enough to keep up and do good damage as well. Slow weapons are viable if you're patient and observant, but they're much harder to use than they were in Bloodborne.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Cobalt60 posted:

armor does matter, but kind of only in weird break points and otherwise outside those breakpoints is basically interchangeable. you take something like 8%/18%/12%/8% more damage if you don't have armor equipped at all to your head/chest/legs/arms, but the key wording there is at all. so you can have the master's rags and bracers and the lovely little cloth hood and some dumb trousers and you avoid those damage penalties, same as if you are wearing the heaviest armor from king poo poo of armor town.

beyond that, the damage absorption percentage that armor adds does reduce the damage you take, but you really have to bother figuring out the math on the weight vs. absorption bonus for your character's vitality to maximize what kind of armor will benefit you most, and on top of that after all the effort involved you can take maybe 2 more hits from a same level threat before you die. it's not like other rpgs where you can stack armor to the point where every enemy plinks you for 1 damage, and a lot of the heaviest armor all has roughly the same absorption value but hideously large weight variances, to the point where the upper end of the medium armor scale tends to be the best weight to absorption ratio.

so rather than do a lot of work for very minimal gains, the prevailing logic is "wear something in every slot, just pick whatever you think looks cool and keeps you under 70% equip weight".

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

I don't know why the Souls team got such a hateboner for circlets after Demon's Souls. My favorite headpiece in the series remains the Silver Coronet simply because it's something that fills the head slot while not getting in the way visually.

Although the Infantry Helmet from DS2 wasn't bad if you wanted something more armored-looking without covering everything up.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

VulgarandStupid posted:

I was helping a buddy get the last couple of items in Undead Settlement. We rolled up to Irina, and while my buddy was talking to her, I read some of the messages on the ground...

"Time for finger
Then try tongue"

Should have put this message by Rosaria. Fingers and tongues are actually relevant to that covenant! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Digirat posted:

Great scythe
Great scythe is pretty annoying in PvE in this game, yeah. I've been having a lot of fun with it in PvP, though. It's fun to use and it looks classy.

Internet Kraken posted:

Silence yourself, you fool.