Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Zeroisanumber posted:

People are excited and want to believe that the good guy is going to win. This election will be a good lesson about politics for them.

Is the lesson "there is no good guy"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cabbit posted:

Is the lesson "there is no good guy"?

Yes. Also that enthusiasm is no replacement for planning, organization, and backing from party insiders.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

rkajdi posted:

BS. All of our education is indoctrination. We go into a civics class, and get taught that we have inalienable rights that the state must give us. We go into history class, and are taught a bunch of great man history about our founding fathers. That doesn't seem like indoctrination to you? That's explicitly laying down the things previous generations thought were important (natural rights BS and the cult of the founders) and are making sure it stays part of the culture. It's why we aren't taught about there being four races of people anymore, when my father very much was in school. There is no neutral point of view, so everything you are teaching helps create the cultural context for your students, even if you're not doing it intentionally. And yes, I do expect if a biblical non-fact comes up in class for the teacher to correct it with a factual thing. I'm also not saying that someone isn't allowed to pour garbage into the ear of their kid, but that schooling should be actively designed to remove the nonsensical parts of it and replace it with actual facts. Using my earlier example, I expect if Exodus is brought up in an ancient history class for the teacher to correct the student and tell them that these events have no evidence and thus did not happen-- there's also an important discussion of logical positivism to have at that point. I expect a biology class to explicitly explain evolution and to correct any student who tries to bring up creationism. Correcting students and forcing them to conform to reality at least in school gives you a chance to break parental indoctrination and give the kid a chance at breaking out of the pre-modern mindset piles of people are still stuck in. I had a professor mention in my freshman year that "Society is only one generation thick", meaning anything we don't pass on is lost forever. Why not use this effect to determine how your society is going to grow? If you don't have the state do it, you're effectively ceding power to some other authority. the people in charge of our society should be voted on, not developed outside the eye of the government. All political power should be formalized inside the state, so that you don't develop a shadow authority outside the control of the democratic process.

We also do not have national educational standards on lots of important stuff. For instance, compulsory, fact-based sex education. We also allow a short circuit around these standards with homeschooling and private schooling, which should be eliminated. Parents' control over what their children are taught in school should be exactly equal to any other member of society. We also are not integrated in schooling. Racial mixing in schools has floundered or moved backwards in the last two decades, corresponding with the end of forced busing. Especially considering how many faux liberals came out last time to say how having their child in a "worse" school would ruin their education (never mind the children that otherwise have to go there) I think it's obvious that parental control over education needs to be removed. If you don't like what your kid is taught, vote on it. But understand that everyone else in society gets to too, and their voice in your child's education is of exactly equal weight. The child is not your property, and you should not have the expectation to have any control over their education. I'm not some pearl-clutcher worried about too much power being centralized in the federal government. If anything, we have the opposite happening.

This is normally where I ask if you're like 16 and just learned some SHOCKING FACT or whatever but I know for a fact from past posts where you've had meltdowns over not being able to literally force people to agree with you, you're a grown rear end man with a functional job and family and poo poo, and that honestly kinda scares me. Like, it's like if you're a coffee shop and some nice, normal, dude casually starts dropping Hitler quotes, it's genuinely very uncomfortable for my own perspective to see someone just so calmly and casually praise ideas that are loving monstrous.

The child is not a parent's property, yes, but it's also not state property. You're genuinely spouting some incredibly dangerous poo poo that, spoiler alert for you mr progressive, we've actually done before. Ask some old rear end natives about government schools taking responsibility to make sure kids assimilate into the culture correctly and see how far that talk gets.

But no, you don't trust the rich when it's us uppity faggots harshing your martyr complex, just when it comes to having the ability to indoctrinate children and punish parents, usually in low income areas, who disagree with anything that happens there. You're basically the people's champion, and not at all a sad internet warrior who's never done a goddamn thing to actually help people beyond Get Mad On The Internet.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Can't decide if fascist, totalitarian or just stupid.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
The best thing about rjkadi is that just by using terrible phrasing and language he's gotten a majority of D&D to argue on the side of teaching creationism in schools

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Can't decide if fascist, totalitarian or just stupid.

or all three as the meme could have said

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This is normally where I ask if you're like 16 and just learned some SHOCKING FACT or whatever but I know for a fact from past posts where you've had meltdowns over not being able to literally force people to agree with you, you're a grown rear end man with a functional job and family and poo poo, and that honestly kinda scares me. Like, it's like if you're a coffee shop and some nice, normal, dude casually starts dropping Hitler quotes, it's genuinely very uncomfortable for my own perspective to see someone just so calmly and casually praise ideas that are loving monstrous.

The child is not a parent's property, yes, but it's also not state property. You're genuinely spouting some incredibly dangerous poo poo that, spoiler alert for you mr progressive, we've actually done before. Ask some old rear end natives about government schools taking responsibility to make sure kids assimilate into the culture correctly and see how far that talk gets.

But no, you don't trust the rich when it's us uppity faggots harshing your martyr complex, just when it comes to having the ability to indoctrinate children and punish parents, usually in low income areas, who disagree with anything that happens there. You're basically the people's champion, and not at all a sad internet warrior who's never done a goddamn thing to actually help people beyond Get Mad On The Internet.

For real though, you've got to admit that most social progress in the United States was a result of being pressured into it or forced into it by a strata of society that could be referred to as "the rich". Skin color doesn't and shouldn't immunize communities from external (legal and social) pressure to change outdated aspects of their culture.

And please be honest as to what you're for and what you're against. You are using a strawman of government completely removing a child from its parents' care in the style of the old indian boarding schools, but that's not really what prompted this discussion. I think I could turn the argument around on you and ask you what, if any, degree of indoctrination by parents would get you to support compulsory schooling, in that particular case? How about the Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints? Assume that you can never get evidence of physical abuse by such a group (and often you can't), or even (and we're truly in the realm of fantasy now) that no physical abuse is occurring. Do those parents have a right to total, dictatorial, unchallenged indoctrination of their children until the age of 18?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Liberal_L33t posted:

For real though, you've got to admit that most social progress in the United States was a result of being pressured into it or forced into it by a strata of society that could be referred to as "the rich".

Hilarious username - post combination.

And no, no one has to admit something that's palpably incorrect.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

blackmongoose posted:

The best thing about rjkadi is that just by using terrible phrasing and language he's gotten a majority of D&D to argue on the side of teaching creationism in schools

The funniest part is a number of people here are just a step below him, but rjkadi goes too far!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
if it comes down to theocracy in schools vs. residential boarding houses for the kulaks i'll go with the local autonomy option every time :shrug:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

blackmongoose posted:

It's been fun to watch people take what he said and pretend that he's literally advocating for all children being made state property. (Fascism!!)

Crazy people have been using private and homeschooling to allow them to teach their kids only what they want and then dump their ignorant asses into society. It's not really the biggest problem with education in America, not even close, but it does get to the bigger point that state control and funding of education is deeply decentralized, enabling vast variation in the quality of schooling and perpetuating ignorance and horrific levels of racial inequality.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

if it comes down to theocracy in schools vs. residential boarding houses for the kulaks i'll go with the local autonomy option every time :shrug:

Isn't this, like, the definition of a straw man argument?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Combed Thunderclap posted:

It's been fun to watch people take what he said and pretend that he's literally advocating for all children being made state property. (Fascism!!)

Crazy people have been using private and homeschooling to allow them to teach their kids only what they want and then dump their ignorant asses into society. It's not really the biggest problem with education in America, not even close, but it does get to the bigger point that state control and funding of education is deeply decentralized, enabling vast variation in the quality of schooling and perpetuating ignorance and horrific levels of racial inequality.

Isn't this, like, the definition of a straw man argument?

the main dude who everyone's dumping on isn't just upset about a substandard curricula but literal wrongthink i.e. wants to empower public education to stamp out bigotry, cultural revolution style

which is really dumb and this conversation is also dumb but if forced to choose between two extremes of coddling racists and rounding them up into racist re-education camps i'd rather coddle them out of the individual freedom to have wrong ideas

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Zeroisanumber posted:

People are excited and want to believe that the good guy is going to win. This election will be a good lesson about politics for them.

The best part about presidential elections is watching the 18-22 year olds cry like babies about how the whole process is unfair. Babby's first election, etc. I'm just smirking irl about the thought of these little twerps sitting in fetal positions about how they were this close to changing America to the way they think it should be.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Mike the TV posted:

The best part about presidential elections is watching the 18-22 year olds cry like babies about how the whole process is unfair. Babby's first election, etc. I'm just smirking irl about the thought of these little twerps sitting in fetal positions about how they were this close to changing America to the way they think it should be.

Shot: sagging flesh, divorce, receding hairline.

Chaser: sad kids who aren't as coyly cynical as me.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

that's not even a picture from today because he's in wv

When's that copy of the New York Times from, today or yesterday? This article (with slightly different headline) has a date of May 4, but the URL says May 5. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/05/us/another-combat-death-in-iraq-may-presage-future-us-role.html

e: Looks like it's today's. http://www.nytimes.com/images/2016/05/05/nytfrontpage/scan.pdf

borkencode fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 5, 2016

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

"might as well not pass any laws ever, then"

Yes, that is an incredibly stupid interpretation of what I said.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

which is really dumb and this conversation is also dumb but if forced to choose between two extremes of coddling racists and rounding them up into racist re-education camps i'd rather coddle them out of the individual freedom to have wrong ideas

Fair enough! :shrug: I just completely understand the impulse to want to push harder on basic things like sex ed, given how many people I know who relied on the internet to provide at least half of their education about How The World Works.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I'm very envious of France's national model of education.

States Rights are bad for education, as for everything else.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fair enough! :shrug: I just completely understand the impulse to want to push harder on basic things like sex ed, given how many people I know who relied on the internet to provide at least half of their education about How The World Works.

we can all agree with that but that's nuance and we don't need nuance when we're collectively yelling at the dude who seriously wants to eradicate rural culture for the glory of tomorrow

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/728335555948384257

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Mike the TV posted:

Extend that up to 29 because I feel like everyone I know that wasn't old enough to vote for Kerry is really, really bewildered that everyone didn't fall in line behind Bernie Sanders once he was declared the one true savior of liberalism, and thus the country.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

borkencode posted:

When's that copy of the New York Times from, today or yesterday? This article (with slightly different headline) has a date of May 4, but the URL says May 5. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/05/us/another-combat-death-in-iraq-may-presage-future-us-role.html

e: Looks like it's today's. http://www.nytimes.com/images/2016/05/05/nytfrontpage/scan.pdf

Mystery Solved.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/728330737557098498

Seems that Trump was just reading the recent People Magazine story about his life, which is typical Trump. Plus he flies back to New York after campaigning almost every day because Trump.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

:pray: oh lord give me both strength and faith in the Democratic Party to not gently caress this up and come up with half-way decent slogans also thank you for Donald Trump amen

EDIT: Also I want political ads starring Donald Duck doing stupid things, thanks in advance for the copyright waiver

GalacticAcid posted:

States Rights are bad for education, as for everything else.

I generally agree but note that non-federal government control of education isn't intrinsically bad (as they have with so much else our fine neighbors to the north have finessed the matter with province-controlled education that allows for cultural differences to be expressed in schooling, see: Quebec), just that we have so many frickin states and so little federal control on so many matters and also all the states go nuts whenever you try to take anything away from them à la Common Core augh :psyduck:

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

:sad:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Internet Webguy posted:

Mystery Solved.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/728330737557098498

Seems that Trump was just reading the recent People Magazine story about his life, which is typical Trump. Plus he flies back to New York after campaigning almost every day because Trump.

had to make sure they quoted his wealth correctly.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

That sounds almost cool though, don't use that

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Liberal_L33t posted:

For real though, you've got to admit that most social progress in the United States was a result of being pressured into it or forced into it by a strata of society that could be referred to as "the rich". Skin color doesn't and shouldn't immunize communities from external (legal and social) pressure to change outdated aspects of their culture.

And please be honest as to what you're for and what you're against. You are using a strawman of government completely removing a child from its parents' care in the style of the old indian boarding schools, but that's not really what prompted this discussion. I think I could turn the argument around on you and ask you what, if any, degree of indoctrination by parents would get you to support compulsory schooling, in that particular case? How about the Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints? Assume that you can never get evidence of physical abuse by such a group (and often you can't), or even (and we're truly in the realm of fantasy now) that no physical abuse is occurring. Do those parents have a right to total, dictatorial, unchallenged indoctrination of their children until the age of 18?

Remember everyone this is the guy who fantasizes about internal war on the middle east.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Dangerous has a sexy James Bond connotation though.
Disaster Donald, Dumb Donald, Delirious Donald, Demented Donald, no leeway for him to boast about it and shrug it off.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

happyhippy posted:

Disaster Donald, Dumb Donald, Delirious Donald, Demented Donald, no leeway for him to boast about it and shrug it off.

He could work with Demented. Dumb works, also it plays to his supporters level. Bullying Doanld is what makes him seem weak.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Dumb Donald is too much like a match game question

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

happyhippy posted:

Just call him Donald Duck, and every time he talks make the Donald Duck yelling noises

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
'Dangerous' Donald is suddenly going to get some great hard-on-crime and foreign policy hawk cred. Thanks Dems!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Donald Dunce

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Lemming posted:

Just call him Donald Duck, and every time he talks make the Donald Duck yelling noises

I am about to make all your dreams come true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsAcPBtFdho

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dachau Donald

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

I am about to make all your dreams come true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsAcPBtFdho

lmao

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"Dangerous Donald" is the sort of out of touch thing DNC types would think up.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

happyhippy posted:

Or we could just do without an alliterative nickname because given the material she'll have to work with it's completely unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Radish posted:

"Dangerous Donald" is the sort of out of touch thing DNC types would think up.

Yeah, it sounds like such an obviously dumb idea that they're going to do it, aren't they? :negative:

• Locked thread