Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Buell it up and run the breather to air

What surprises me is that Buells (and Sporsters obviously) have check valves in the breather hoses, while this doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

High Protein posted:

What surprises me is that Buells (and Sporsters obviously) have check valves in the breather hoses, while this doesn't.

Yeah but they suck a lot more.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The KTM? That would make sense if they don't put check valves in it must suck pretty hard.

I imagine the Sporty engine's tendency to spit through the intake would make the check valves prudent.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
All the wires and poo poo I ordered to do my indicators arrived! :toot:

Of course the first thing I did was promptly murder one of the connector pins figuring out how to work the crimping tool :downsgun: I knew I was being egregiously optimistic only ordering one set. Hit up eBay for spares, they'll be here Friday.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Any time you buy electronic parts, always buy at least one extra. If the parts are cheap, buy twice what you need. You'll always blow one up or lose one right at the moment you really need it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

Any time you buy electronic parts, always buy at least one extra. If the parts are cheap, buy twice what you need. You'll always blow one up or lose one right at the moment you really need it.

I wish I followed this advice when I was buying engines!

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I need to do a coolant flush in my Vstrom 1000, but I've never done coolant myself before. Is there a suggested coolant to use? I imagine I can use any motorcycle coolant but I don't have my service manual with me at work.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You can use car coolant :ssh:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

yeah its just water and antifreeze right?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Motorcycles don't take very much coolant anyway, so skip the antifreeze/water mixing and just buy a bottle of Prestone premixed green stuff. A gallon is like 10 buck.s

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Alright I'll just pick this up from Walmart on the way home then.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Schroeder91 posted:

I need to do a coolant flush in my Vstrom 1000, but I've never done coolant myself before. Is there a suggested coolant to use? I imagine I can use any motorcycle coolant but I don't have my service manual with me at work.

I'm in the same boat.

Where do I put my old coolant?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

HotCanadianChick posted:

My wife wants me to try and sell the K/Q seat I pulled off the GL1000, but I kinda want to just toss it where it belongs, in the trash.

I'm still 50/50 on burning them or bolting them to a log in the woods where I go camping.

Chichevache posted:

I'm in the same boat.

Go buy a gallon of deionized water use half when you mix it with the antifreeze, and pour the rest out, or drink it. (the water, stupid.)
The pour the old poo poo in the gallon water bottle and take it to the dump, or Advance Auto, or Walmart or whatever.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 5, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schroeder91 posted:

Alright I'll just pick this up from Walmart on the way home then.

Yep.

Chichevache posted:

I asked a friend who works at the water department about this, and he said that most sanitary sewer systems can handle pouring used coolant down the toilet in household quantities. The bacteria in the treatment plants love the ethylene glycol. Don't do this if you have a septic tank and don't pour it into an unfiltered storm sewer.

That said, I still take mine to the hazardous waste depot because it's free and why not.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Uh, excuse me, you should be using Maxima Coolanol at $14 for 2L because it's designed for motorcycles! If you really love your bike, you'll buy Engine Ice!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

Started the bike in the garage on a whim yesterday. I was startled when it caught nearly instantly. Idled fine, revved to 4k or so a couple times just fine as well. However, I'd forgotten to remove the seat, so I pulled the key. Then it wouldn't start again. Battery voltage at rest was 11.5-12.2v, voltage while starting was under a volt. My battery's knackered, ain't it?

Got my new battery in today. holy shitballs my old battery was absolute toast since I owned the bike, new battery cranks this thing off in a heartbeat and my lights actually do stuff now!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

I asked a friend who works at the water department about this, and he said that most sanitary sewer systems can handle pouring used coolant down the toilet in household quantities. The bacteria in the treatment plants love the ethylene glycol. Don't do this if you have a septic tank and don't pour it into an unfiltered storm sewer.

That said, I still take mine to the hazardous waste depot because it's free and why not.

Toilet it is! Thanks.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I use toyota red in my bieks. I dispose of it wherever the fucker pops the head or a hose.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

I know! I know and I didn't do it. :saddowns:

Bonus deal: I cut the end off the cable braid without a hot knife and oh god, plastic pubes everywhere :gonk:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pope Mobile posted:

Uh, excuse me, you should be using Maxima Coolanol at $14 for 2L because it's designed for motorcycles! If you really love your bike, you'll buy Engine Ice!

Certain bikes do actually need special coolants because they can have dissimilar-enough metals (say between engine block and water pump) to cause galvanic corrosion if you use just flat water/glycol mixes. I can't remember which bike it was - one of the 90s litre bikes, I think - that normal coolant would completely destroy the engine in under six months, because it had a copper rad.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Wait, oil isn't coolant? What is going on

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

Wait, oil isn't coolant? What is going on

At least we can look forward to planned obsolescencenewer models.:saddowns:

Edit
Wait, oil as coolant is one of those things Buell does, right?

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 5, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I mean I guess you could use oil as a coolant if you made your radiator two or three times bigger.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Certain bikes do actually need special coolants because they can have dissimilar-enough metals (say between engine block and water pump) to cause galvanic corrosion if you use just flat water/glycol mixes. I can't remember which bike it was - one of the 90s litre bikes, I think - that normal coolant would completely destroy the engine in under six months, because it had a copper rad.

Honda used magnesium water pump housings on their 80s MX bikes which gave them a very finite life span

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Chichevache posted:

At least we can look forward to planned obsolescencenewer models.:saddowns:

Edit
Wait, oil as coolant is one of those things Buell does, right?

I think he's referencing malaise era, air cooled bikes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pope Mobile posted:

Don't buy engine ice if you live somewhere with a winter, as engine ice is coolant only, not antifreeze

Or do buy it but swap it out before winter hits

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I think he's referencing malaise era, air cooled bikes.

:downs:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

I mean I guess you could use oil as a coolant if you made your radiator two or three times bigger.

Air cooled gixxers are a good exmaple of engines that are effectively oil cooled. They have a large oil cooler, a very high volume pump and very generous oil galleries. It's pretty much the only way to have a fully faired bike with a 4 valve head which is still 'air cooled'. It's also why that whole engine family (including B12's) have such small and ineffective-looking fins.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Suzuki also added a small oil cooler to the faired GS500. I guess the thinking is that the fairing significantly reduces airflow over the fins.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Don't run engine ice it is garbage for your engine passages if you don't change it. Antifreeze for street temperatures, straight water for track.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Would installing an oil-cooler on an air-cooled bike that doesn't have one be worth the cost? Like, would there be any performance gain at all, or would it just add a couple years onto the end of the engine life?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Would installing an oil-cooler on an air-cooled bike that doesn't have one be worth the cost? Like, would there be any performance gain at all, or would it just add a couple years onto the end of the engine life?

It'd probably let you extend the service intervals but god knows how you would quantify that without a team of engineers.

e: should mention that it would only work on something that has an oil pump and lots of air cooled engines just sort of splash it around in a she'll-be-right-mate way

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 5, 2016

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

It would be worth it on a bike that you loved dearly but which constantly overheated due to poor engineering, probably something from the 70s. It's not just drilling two holes, attaching a pipe to each and a cooler in between. It has to flow from a high pressure area to a low pressure area (which will bleed off pressure downstream of the area you've drilled), regulated by a thermostat set for ideal temp and viscosity. Finding room for that in an engine block which wasn't made with oil cooling in mind is pretty serious engineering, and it ignores the engineering that went in to the non-oil cooled engine in the first place. This is not an uncommon internet forum project, usually borne from overthinking theoretical aspects while ignoring practical ones (which is one of the main ways the internet makes you stupid). I bet the results in most cases is the project owner announcing wonderful (yet non-existent or terrible) results but changing bikes not long after. Barring any leaks, worst case you've compromised some internal spaces which had some purpose in lubrication, reduced the total system pressure or made the oil run too cool - so the oil itself will last a few thousand miles more before it needs changing, but the engine life is drastically reduced.

Sorry, didn't mean to snap at your question, it's just a thing I've noticed which I haven't had the chance to rant about before.

Shorter answer: No, apart from on some bikes, which are poo poo. If you have a bike where an oil cooler mod is worth it, get another bike.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ola posted:

It would be worth it on a bike that you loved dearly but which constantly overheated due to poor engineering, probably something from the 70s. It's not just drilling two holes, attaching a pipe to each and a cooler in between. It has to flow from a high pressure area to a low pressure area (which will bleed off pressure downstream of the area you've drilled), regulated by a thermostat set for ideal temp and viscosity. Finding room for that in an engine block which wasn't made with oil cooling in mind is pretty serious engineering, and it ignores the engineering that went in to the non-oil cooled engine in the first place. This is not an uncommon internet forum project, usually borne from overthinking theoretical aspects while ignoring practical ones (which is one of the main ways the internet makes you stupid). I bet the results in most cases is the project owner announcing wonderful (yet non-existent or terrible) results but changing bikes not long after. Barring any leaks, worst case you've compromised some internal spaces which had some purpose in lubrication, reduced the total system pressure or made the oil run too cool - so the oil itself will last a few thousand miles more before it needs changing, but the engine life is drastically reduced.

Sorry, didn't mean to snap at your question, it's just a thing I've noticed which I haven't had the chance to rant about before.

Shorter answer: No, apart from on some bikes, which are poo poo. If you have a bike where an oil cooler mod is worth it, get another bike.

This is a good post.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Related - Depending on bike design and clearance, you may be able to increase the oil capacity with a spacer on the sump, or a larger replacement sump casing.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/2085/PN-040-0953/Oil-Sump-Extension-for-R100GS

I've seen designs like this with cooling fins machined in to aid passive oil cooling.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Don't buy engine ice if you live somewhere with a winter, as engine ice is coolant only, not antifreeze

Or do buy it but swap it out before winter hits

from here http://www.engineice.com/faqs/ "A: Yes, Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant is an antifreeze offering freeze protection to -26Fº (26 degrees below zero)" vs -36 for antifreeze? Not saying you should use it, but I thought that it was OK for at least this one thing.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ola posted:

Awesome, thanks, I've always wondered. It's a 1996 XJ600. The US version is the Seca II, which came without an oil cooler. The European version is the Diversion, many of which did have a cooler. It routes oil through a sandwich plate between the filter and engine to the cooler. I've never been clear on why the Diversions needed them, when the Secas work just fine without (maybe because they were basically a courier bike in Europe?). There have never been any issues with overheating on mine, except one time I got caught in a construction zone on the interstate in August. I considered it when I was doing a lot of low-speed city driving and commuting, but it's basically a weekend toy now, so it aircools just fine.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

One of the greatest mysteries of motorcycling is how the Japanese differentiate between European and American markets. "Oh no we can't call it the Diversion in America, they will misunderstand, we have to call it Seca" :confused: Perhaps it's a reflection of how we westerners struggle to understand eastern culture, or perhaps it's the behemoth organizations with their regional dukes and marketing chieftains plus the government tariffs and road regulations which fragment the initial idea even more. But while a BMW R1200GS can have max 100 hp in France and (maybe??) has a speed limiter in Japan, it isn't called the BMW Cake Terrific in one place and the BMW CR13 in the other.

So there can be a myriad of reasons for why it had an oil cooler in one place and not in another, like "marketing thinks it looks cool" or "we have to use up this stock of coolers" or a legacy thing from when US law limited import displacement or much more.

The Diversion was a hugely successful bike over here anyway, as a courier, a tourer, general purpose, anything.

Oh and thanks Chiche! :angel:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ola posted:

There are bikes, the sohc cb750 is one I believe, where you can put an oil cooler inline with an oil return line since some of the oil lines are external

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm fine with whatever names bikes have, as long as they have names. In America my bike is a Hawk GT; in Japan it's a Bros 650 (because they made a 400 and a 650, you see, and those bikes were like "brothers", so :japan: ) but either one is better than "NT650".

Giving an emotionally-laden vehicle like a motorcycle a simple numerical code is such a cold, calculating, German thing to do.

More Fireblades and Hurricanes and Blackbirds please.