Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

On this subject, which team did DS3? Was it a mix of DS1 and Bloodborne guys? DS3 development started during Bloodborne's development, not to mention SOTFS release and Old Hunters addons.

There are probably multiple teams with a great deal of overlap depending on who's been freed up at the time. There's a sizeable number of people who's worked on every single Soulborne game so far if you look at the credits. About a dozen or so names are across them all.

Demon's and Bloodborne were a mix of :airquote: A Team :airquote: and a big contingent of Sony people
DS1 and DS3 were A Team
DS2 was B Team

DS2 was developed concurrently with Bloodborne and I guess DS3, so basically none of the QoL stuff from DS2 made it into BB.

B Team made a bland world but Soul Memory aside it was really fun to play and lots of very diverse builds were all equally good. The gameplay and PvP of DS2 (discounting the fact that invasions were a little too crippled) were really solid. The fact that you had both Lifegems and Estus felt kinda sloppy and unfocused though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Mimics are assholes.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Mr Dog posted:

what's it like in opposites world
I just tried it it this evening because a buddy told me the spear is really good against the King himself but against the dragon it does suck, not much damage and it keeps whiffing if the thing raises its head just a liiiittle too high, not a problem with Greatsword swings...

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jastiger posted:

Lol PVP is so dumb. I chased a guy for a while slashing him and he'd just drink estus and never die, then after 3 minutes of this, was able to wear me down with a few shots. How stupid is it that a guy can just heal through 3 katana slashes. Fix your game FROM.

It's a joke and it's probably why so many people are going with either extreme damage parry build or huge 2h weapon. The parry builds can oneshot me with 27 vigor, and the 2h weapons can often kill in 2 hits, unless I'm wearing something real heavy like mornes. So just get one hit and hope to hit again as the roll finishes

Especially with the sheer amount of 3-4 man Gank squads it's pretty much impossible to finish someone off otherwise while also avoiding incoming attacks.

Also I'm pretty sure there's more mimics than regular chests

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Marcus Garvey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MzAbULtIhs

PVP is pretty enjoyable this time around, I'll be streaming PVP sometime in the evening this week/end as well.

https://www.twitch.tv/flowerygrackle
Are you offhanding a simple caestus for FP regen?

Digirat posted:

What helped me parry was looking at the stamina bar when parrying. No idea if this is true or not, but the start of the parry seems to coincide with your stamina going away, which helps you know how early to do it.
I'm eh on parrying in this one and was pretty good at it (at least PvE) in DS1. DS1's was easy to time though, press the button just before the weapon hand (not the weapon) hit you. I think it's harder here because enemies have crazy fast attacks compared to DS1. I haven't quite figured out the timing and should really just go gently caress around and figure it out.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

InequalityGodzilla posted:

What's a good method for practicing parrying, anyway? I've never been able to be even adequate at it in any dark souls game. Do I just have to get out there with a decent parrying shield and take the dozens of deaths until I finally start to master it or is there some trick to the timing?

Backup your save, put Steam in offline mode, use CheatEngine to lock your hp, run around practicing, restore your backup before you go back online. That's how I learned. It's a hell of a lot easier to learn when you don't spend 90% of your time running back from bonfires

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

lite_sleepr posted:

I'm in offline mode, but I keep getting summoned as a blue spirit to other worlds.

What happen?

Did you set launch mode to offline in the options and then keep playing? If so restart.

If you logged in that way then beats me.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Simply Simon posted:

I just tried it it this evening because a buddy told me the spear is really good against the King himself but against the dragon it does suck, not much damage and it keeps whiffing if the thing raises its head just a liiiittle too high, not a problem with Greatsword swings...

I mean this is surprising because this is literally the opposite of reality. Though I'll grant that it's hard to actually hit the dragon with the spear. When it does hit though it does really good damage.

NK himself does lightning damage though so it would make sense that he'd resist it heavily. Though a straight sword doesn't seem to fare significantly better.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Szcwczuk posted:

Anyone have an opinion on what the "best" halberd might be?

For PvP at least, the Red Hilted Halberd for the 1hr1 and perseverence. Poise through anything, taking reduced damage, for a guaranteed R1, R1. If the 2hand thrusts had the range of the 1hand ones it would be even better but sadly you just have to make do (and annoyingly somewhat necessitates using a weapon art shield so you can't parry, though abusing perseverence is much safer than trying for a parry anyway, and it saves you having to use the Hornet ring). The rest of the moveset is excellent as well, both the rolling and running attacks have long range and are fairly quick. It is somewhat vulnerable to being parried vs. someone who knows what they're doing, but then you can start faking them out by using perseverence and not immediately attacking.

Dahbadu posted:

Although not as heavy, I'm also digging Red Hilted Halberd (if you mix it up) and Black Knight Sword (if you do mostly 1-handing).

Maybe it's because I'm bad at video games, but I find Perseverance to be really powerful and helpful. Wear some heavy armor (and a Ring of Steel Protection), bait them while you're 2-handing. Instead of parrying or blocking, just pop Perseverance and then swing into their attack. If you don't kill them, you'll ruin their day. You have to watch out for a few things (like them circling around you to backstab), but so far it seems like a pretty effective strat against most players.

Perseverence is actually secretly OP, but the buff is so short that it's worthless on almost all of the weapons which can use it (which are mostly very slow or very short range), but the RHH and BKS are both excellent weapons in their own right and can get a lot of mileage out of perseverence.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

BobTheJanitor posted:

Just got to do it for 2 hours straight and you're set:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDsIStC0hio

This is the saddest thing. Almost 2 hours of a deity being punched in the balls.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Mr Dog posted:

I mean this is surprising because this is literally the opposite of reality. Though I'll grant that it's hard to actually hit the dragon with the spear. When it does hit though it does really good damage.

NK himself does lightning damage though so it would make sense that he'd resist it heavily. Though a straight sword doesn't seem to fare significantly better.
NK just doesn't get much damage from anything.

Granted my Spear is only +4 because I didn't want to commit, but it deals 200ish damage against the 450 my standard weapon, crystal buffed Drakeblood Greatsword does. And that always hits when I want it to. "Hard to hit with" in a fight where you do need to hit a certain kinda finicky part AND that's in a phase you want to get over with as quickly as possible to have another shot at getting owned by the actual hard part does make the weapon, IMHO, pretty bad.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The thing I miss the most from DS2 is the elemental multiplier on weapon buffs on top of the flat scaled damage boost.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

This is the saddest thing. Almost 2 hours of a deity being punched in the balls.

Him trying to do an SL1 run of Oceiros is sadder, honestly. The boss is horrendous bullshit on SL1 if you're not just blocking constantly. The hitbox for Oceiros' charge attack in P2 appears to activate almost instantly (like, maybe a 3 frame window of warning) and kills him from 100% health. Great boss design!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

Him trying to do an SL1 run of Oceiros is sadder, honestly. The boss is horrendous bullshit on SL1 if you're not just blocking constantly. The hitbox for Oceiros' charge attack in P2 appears to activate almost instantly (like, maybe a 3 frame window of warning) and kills him from 100% health. Great boss design!

Can't tell if serious

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I got the pale shade set, the mask is cool

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015

SubponticatePoster posted:

Are you offhanding a simple caestus for FP regen?

Yep! The full build is linked in the video description.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
I'm getting a bit frustrated with Leonhardt. Seemingly no matter how many pale tongues I turn in after speaking with him in Rosaria's Bedchamber he refuses to do his nefarious deeds. There must be trigger I'm missing, or maybe NG+ has messed things up. Either way, if anyone has any insight into this, I'd appreciate it.

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!
Refined dark sword feels like cheating but it's perfect for people like me who suck.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vermain posted:

I'm not sure it makes a ton of sense to criticize a game for not being balanced around a player never, ever leveling up at all. That attack is super hard to avoid but it doesn't one-shot you unless you've never touched Vigor. And the fight is still possible.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
If you put a refined gem on the Caestus it becomes skilled, kind of like the dark dark sword being reinforced, any other interactions like that that anyones found?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Deified Data posted:

Can't tell if serious

Oceiros is easily the worst / least fun boss in the game. He's not hard in terms of overall difficulty, but it's really hard to read his animations and movements compared to basically anyone else. Having zero tolerance for errors against him would make that even more obvious.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Dazzling Addar posted:

I'm getting a bit frustrated with Leonhardt. Seemingly no matter how many pale tongues I turn in after speaking with him in Rosaria's Bedchamber he refuses to do his nefarious deeds. There must be trigger I'm missing, or maybe NG+ has messed things up. Either way, if anyone has any insight into this, I'd appreciate it.

That questline breaks if you level up devotion with the covenant before Leonhardt gets to the next stage of his quest.

I'm going around cleaning out everything I missed the first time through. So what's the deal in the Grand Archives with the tower at the very top of the place with the winged fat knights, the giant cage hang from the ceiling beneath it, and the one Rosaria worm dude mage hanging out in the rafters? I feel like there's some weird story I'm missing up in that tower.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Oceiros is probably the worst boss in the game. Having zero tolerance for errors against him would make that even more obvious.

What do you mean zero tolerance? I got hit by him plenty of times and came out fine if I healed at the right time afterwards.

You mean for SL1 runs? As Harrow said, why would that even be a consideration?

Harrow posted:

I'm not sure it makes a ton of sense to criticize a game for not being balanced around a player never, ever leveling up at all. That attack is super hard to avoid but it doesn't one-shot you unless you've never touched Vigor. And the fight is still possible.

As far as I'm concerned, letting the player start at SL1 and giving them at least one weapon to use is as far as entertaining onebros should reasonably go. Otherwise the whole game becomes about "But what if this boss's attack one-shots a challenge run character? :ohdear:"

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 6, 2016

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Dazzling Addar posted:

I didn't join the covenant until after killing Aldridge (because I didn't want to lock myself out of Sirris' stuff), and it seemed like he did it after killing the next boss after I had turned in a tongue and spoke to him.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Oceiros is easily the worst / least fun boss in the game. He's not hard in terms of overall difficulty, but it's really hard to read his animations and movements compared to basically anyone else. Having zero tolerance for errors against him would make that even more obvious.

I didnt think his animations were hard to read at all. The only bosss animations that are hard to read are the King of Storms animations when youre taking cover under his neck and crotch.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Nah Oceiros is actually really cool cause he's one of the few bosses in this game that really fights like a crazy monster. That charge is dumb for a SL1 run but the boss itself is pretty good, even if he is fairly easy.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Deified Data posted:

What do you mean zero tolerance? I got hit by him plenty of times and came out fine if I healed at the right time afterwards.

oceiros is pretty dumb to fight in phase 2. his hitbox for his dash attack is apparently his entire in-game model, plus some random radius of space around his model that seems to fluctuate randomly each time he uses the attack. he's beatable, sure, but he's just obnoxious to fight. his dash seems like it can clip through solid terrain in the room and he "hits" you with his dash even when no part of his model is touching you. the spin and the breath are whatever, but his dash is dumb, bad stuff.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I dunno if you just stand all up in his groin it seems like he never hits you

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Maybe spending the whole game with a <30% weight and the bloodring made that fight more forgiving for me than others. I don't remember having much trouble with his dash because I was constantly up in his face

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mastershakeman posted:

It's a joke and it's probably why so many people are going with either extreme damage parry build or huge 2h weapon. The parry builds can oneshot me with 27 vigor, and the 2h weapons can often kill in 2 hits, unless I'm wearing something real heavy like mornes. So just get one hit and hope to hit again as the roll finishes

Especially with the sheer amount of 3-4 man Gank squads it's pretty much impossible to finish someone off otherwise while also avoiding incoming attacks.

Also I'm pretty sure there's more mimics than regular chests

For sure. I'm not good at this game, but its super frustrating to actually out play a person and they can literally just run around and summon folks and chug estus. I don't mind estus chugging but it shouldn't be so fast and so effortless. It wasn't like this in other games.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

GulagDolls posted:

I dunno if you just stand all up in his groin it seems like he never hits you

Nah, taint punching is still risky from the spin moves.

But saddling up next to his scrotum and repeatedly bashing it with cold steel is the best way I've found to avoid the other 90% of his attacks.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Deified Data posted:

The guy I was responding to was talking about SL1 runs, that's why I was talking about zero tolerance (because obviously if you get hit at SL1 you're screwed.)

Thus, it's not that being hard for an SL1 character is the reason why Oceiros is a lovely boss, but it would make something already true even more obvious.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
How long did it take for the previous games to get some serious patch attention? I beat NG on one character and am halfway with another, but with weapons being out of whack and estus chugging turning PVP into a slog I think I might just wait till things get fixed.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The guy I was responding to was talking about SL1 runs, that's why I was talking about zero tolerance (because obviously if you get hit at SL1 you're screwed.)

Actually there are a number of attacks that do not ohko you at low vig. My 9vig sorcerer has been hit by and not ohko'd by Oceiros, Nameless King, Princes, etc. However you're right that Oceiros is uniquely challenging because he has a move with very little tell that is guaranteed to instagib. He can also instagib if you get grazed by him when he lands after his flying crystal breath move, but I assume I am the only one to ever be in that situation. :downs:

The story may be different with a naked low vig character.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Captn Kurp posted:

Just an idea, try the silver cat ring, and if they're relatively low on ladder you can slide down then just jump off to the bottom and shoot them with a bow. To be honest though I would just black crystal out because who gives a poo poo.

Not trying really hard to kill someone who has a plan for not letting you kill them, is just unfathomable to me.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Mr Dog posted:

DS2 was developed concurrently with Bloodborne and I guess DS3, so basically none of the QoL stuff from DS2 made it into BB.

B Team made a bland world but Soul Memory aside it was really fun to play and lots of very diverse builds were all equally good. The gameplay and PvP of DS2 (discounting the fact that invasions were a little too crippled) were really solid. The fact that you had both Lifegems and Estus felt kinda sloppy and unfocused though.

DS2 is weird because despite it's lack of coherence, it's still incredibly drat fun to play. DS3 might get some patches to help PvP along but it'll take some real effort to get it up to scratch with what DS2 had to offer. And the PvE in it, when it's good, it's really drat good, especially in SotFS.

That said, if things do work out, I can see doing a number of playthroughs just as a dedicated Mound-Maker, because getting to be a wild card rather than merely a hindrance has a lot of fun potential.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

InequalityGodzilla posted:

What's a good method for practicing parrying, anyway? I've never been able to be even adequate at it in any dark souls game. Do I just have to get out there with a decent parrying shield and take the dozens of deaths until I finally start to master it or is there some trick to the timing?

In short, yes. I would suggest you choose one parry item and stick with it because the timings vary. Also don't spam it in pvp or you'll get clowned. If your first attempt fails put it on the back burner for a couple of exchanges and maybe an estus chug. In pve try using it in every encounter until you git gud.

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died
I just found out today warden twin blades in the off hand will parry. I assume the same might be said of most of the paired weapons?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Shoenin posted:

Whats the general consensus SL to PVP on?

I don't think there is a consensus, you can find lots of people to fight anywhere from 30 - 120 and maybe past that (I don't have any chars that far). 30 is only a good cap if you want to grind out the Wolfbro covenant for a pretty sweet shield. Remember that your weapon upgrades should complement your level - +3 for Wolfbroing, maybe +6 at 60, +8 at 80 and maxed by 120 are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I've confirmed a pretty cool thing. If you start as a cleric, Patches calls you a 'greedy cleric' in the Cathedral as he pulls the lever. Otherwise it's 'greedy guts'.