Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Has anyone said why the Mists were released or is that part of the mystery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

HIJK posted:

Has anyone said why the Mists were released or is that part of the mystery?

Black Bolt released it during Infinity to repopulate his race.

zoux posted:

I thought Black Bolt released the terrigen mists by himself and the rest of the Inhumans were pretty loving appalled by it.

No, they were more or less fine with it. Crystal, as per usual, was the only one who was like "hey maybe changing people's DNA against their will is maybe not such a great idea". And that was before, you know, the whole "mutants are allergic to Terrigen Mist" thing happened.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The mists getting released was pretty much an end-run attempt by Black Bolt (and Maximus) to keep the Inhuman race alive during the Infinity crossover.

Thanos was trying to find and murder his child (they didn't really go into too much detail about why he had a child, no) and when Thanos hit Earth all he knew was that his son was part-Inhuman, so his face-saving measure was to show up and just go "look deliver me the heads of every Inhuman youth in this age range and I'll let you live. Don't do it and we'll murder 100% of you."

Black Bolt figures out that Thanos's kid is not part of the main Attilan group of Inhumans but is living somewhere else. Thanos's deadline approached and his plan was to evacuate Attilan, wait for Thanos there and set off a huge bomb in the abandoned city, hopefully killing Thanos (and probably Black Bolt but hey, he's the king). The secondary part of this plan was releasing the Terrigen mists out into nature so at least future Inhumans got the chance to be Inhumans, or something.

All of this was sort of portrayed as "heavy lies the crown" stuff, Black Bolt knew it was a dicey idea to just unleash the mists out into the world but thought it was preferable to mass extinction. He also did it (presumably, if writers were remembering recent history) with the knowledge that Terrigen Mists have wildly varying and often negative effects on mutants, but the whole plan was a last-minute hail mary to avoid full on extermination, so he might have just figured mutants would have to figure it out himself.

The fact that Thanos and Black Bolt both survived this with no ill effects and then the entire universe got destroyed/restored shortly after kind of make it seem like the mists are just floating around because whatever, though.

In terms of "what did the other Inhumans think of all of this" I am kind of fuzzy but there were a lot of reactions. People were kind of upset that he sacrificed their entire city and wouldn't let [all of the other Inhumans] take part in the fight, even though it was against Thanos and his army. I feel like there was an early (since muted) side of Inhumans that are isolationist aristocrats that were also pretty pissed that now some dumb jabroni who works at a human pizza place might get terrigen powers too.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 5, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

God Infinity was so fuckin' great.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I really hope Ewing is doing a New Warriors series sometime down the line. His take on Night Thrasher is too perfect for us to lose.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SilverSupernova posted:

I really hope Ewing is doing a New Warriors series sometime down the line. His take on Night Thrasher is too perfect for us to lose.

They might be wary of trying yet again after the last time crashed and burned. And, I believe, the time before that.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The mists being everywhere and the O5 xmen still being time-shifted are both things I assumed they'd have not still be going on after the Secret Wars reboot. Not really much reason for Franklin to have kept those around.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

JoshTheStampede posted:

The mists being everywhere and the O5 xmen still being time-shifted are both things I assumed they'd have not still be going on after the Secret Wars reboot. Not really much reason for Franklin to have kept those around.

I'm assuming he's still sore with the X-Men for the whole creating Onslaught thing.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I need reminding, is the current Marvel 616 aware of Secret Wars? Or was it just the survivors if the incursion and the people that fought Doom before the reset?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I need reminding, is the current Marvel 616 aware of Secret Wars? Or was it just the survivors if the incursion and the people that fought Doom before the reset?

The Ultimates are aware that something happened and is the motivation of their first arc. I think T'Challa and Reed (and the FF) are the only ones that know exactly unless it's been explained elsewhere. Doom probably knows too. And I think the Maker in NA is aware of the universe rebooting.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Didn't Miss America also kick herself out of the universe, before the reset and presumed mind wipe?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The Ultimates are aware that something happened and is the motivation of their first arc. I think T'Challa and Reed (and the FF) are the only ones that know exactly unless it's been explained elsewhere. Doom probably knows too. And I think the Maker in NA is aware of the universe rebooting.

Unless I've missed something, both Loki and Verity Willis should also more or less know what happened

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah somehow Ewing was able to make the name of IAP alternative currency have interesting meaning and plot implications.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think the incursions still happened, including the events of the 'Last Days' issues according to Ms Marvel. Her and Bruno still had their moment awaiting the end of the world, which now just didn't happen.

I haven't been keeping up with Iron Man or Uncanny Avengers (for Steve) but have they indicated their whole pre-SW fight still happened? I suppose Reed could've just left that out for their sakes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The Dazzler Thor in A-force shows maybe there are other survivors from Battleworld Hanging around.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The whole of the Inhumans part was the weakest part of Avengers. Felt like an editorial mandate.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hickman's Avengers? The time travel and, vibrating planet/alternate Avengers arcs were worse than anything in Infinity.

Dude was seeding Inhumans into the story since Fantastic Four.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
the Yu-drawn Original Sin tie in arc ruled

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The implication seems to be everything happened as we saw it right up until the final incursion and everything was reset at that point and the heroes won and there was no end of the universe as far as most observers are aware. Not unlike how the original Crisis was supposed to have happened. Granted, I haven't been reading the post-SW Avengers titles, so maybe Ultimates has brought up something else since it seems to be dealing with the fallout from SW.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I liked the rogue planet because it tied into that awesome Original Sin tie in, but those alternate Avengers were pretty drat weak. Only good thing to come of that was the unworthy hammer of Thorr.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

The Dazzler Thor in A-force shows maybe there are other survivors from Battleworld Hanging around.

That whole intro was great, with Singularity just being so chipper about the whole thing. "THEY DO THE WILL OF DOOM! :haw:"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

That whole intro was great, with Singularity just being so chipper about the whole thing. "THEY DO THE WILL OF DOOM! :haw:"

Singularity is just so adorable because she's just so happy to be among friends. She needs to meet Hellcat, Squirrel Girl and Ms Marvel.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

twistedmentat posted:

Singularity is just so adorable because she's just so happy to be among friends. She needs to meet Hellcat, Squirrel Girl and Ms Marvel.

Her art design is also spot on. Her physical expressions do a great job of exemplifying how she is feeling.

She is indeed adorable :blush:

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

SilverSupernova posted:

I was thinking this exact same thing reading New Avengers this week. Instead of yet another Avengers team have Squirrel Girl, Demiurge and Hulkling form a New Warriors team.

Also can Hulkling get a new name? A) it sucks and B) my phone auto corrects it to Hulk lingerie and dammit no one wants to see that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wiccan probably does

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I was going to post an image of hulk being sexy as a counterpoint but google image search is pretty convinced I want to see she-hulk instead.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The Justice Society incursion and everything about it was one of the best parts of Hickman's A/NA run. Also it was a frankly brilliant way to illustrate how far gone the Illuminati were at that point.

"Don't do it." "I don't think I can." still gives me chills. Great stuff.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
How has Spiderwomen been? I loved the Spiderwoman pregnancy arc, but held off on the crossover because I had no idea who the other people were beyond a one-line description.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How has Spiderwomen been? I loved the Spiderwoman pregnancy arc, but held off on the crossover because I had no idea who the other people were beyond a one-line description.

It's good, but the Gwen stuff, much like her solo book, is the weakest part. To the point where the stuff in her world from the other titles is probably better handled. It's likely a good thing the writer is stepping away from comics soon. The Alpha issue lays out most of what you'd need to know, anyway, but you should be reading Silk if you have any interest in Spider-peeps, because it's really good, just solid super-hero stuff with a woman of colour in the lead and with striking art, and led to the crossover having one of the most heartbreaking Jameson moments in a while.

EDIT: I just read the preview pages for the next Gwenpool, incidentally... and... uh... it looks like it might be... good? Like, I intellectually knew it was possible, because Hastings has a good rep and Guruhiru are awesome at what they do, but... It's still weird for me that a book that exists solely because a variant cover gag might be able to justify it's own existence.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 6, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Spiderwomen has been a fantastic arc, but yeah Spider-Gwen is the weakest part of it. It's funny because Spider-Gwen is actually a really awesome character when written by better writers, and the first issue of Spider-Gwen that was in the Spiderwomen arc (v2 #7) was actually really, really strong and seemed to signify a turning point in the quality of the comic. But nope, 8 went back to the same mediocre quality as before. It's just frustrating because the comic seems so obsessed with exposition and juxtaposing how 65 is different from 616, and when the comic leaves the "This is how things are different than the main universe" it actually justifies its existence.

But yeah, Spiderwomen is loving great. Definitely read Silk and I would at least pick up the Spiderwomen-relevant issues of S-G, or at least 7 since it's half a Jessica Drew comic anyways.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
#8 was half a Silk book too, and those parts were again the best elements, to such a degree that I assume Hopeless and Thompson are handling the parts where their characters are in the driver's seat.

I'm more interested by Earth-65's Reed Richards than almost any of the tangential other alternate versions of mainline characters from the main story of the book, and I think it's mostly because it trusts the reader to get it. He basically goes "Yup, I'm Reed Richards, super-genius" and we move on, instead of stopping the book to do a full origin story.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
That was easily one of my favorite parts of the crossover: Earth-65 Reed not requiring any convincing whatsoever, because he's a Reed Richards and this crap happens all the time to him.

Also, this artist Bengal on the Spider-Gwen issues is really solid.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah Earth-65 Reed loving rules.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Gaz-L posted:

It's good, but the Gwen stuff, much like her solo book, is the weakest part. To the point where the stuff in her world from the other titles is probably better handled. It's likely a good thing the writer is stepping away from comics soon.
What's this about Jason Latour leaving comics? Do you just mean Marvel/Spider-Gwen? He's talking about his new arc on Spider-Gwen on Twitter and just announced a new Image series.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 6, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Robbi Rodriguez is retiring, not Latour.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Howard the Duck is a treasure where every issue leaves me happy. He should totes bring a few dinosaurs back with him though, those boys are handy to have around.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

Robbi Rodriguez is retiring, not Latour.

Aw crud. I was looking forward to Spider-Gwen getting a new writer that might keep me on the book. I think I saw it announced as 'creator' retiring, and I'm kind of unfairly writer-focused, so I made an assumption.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

twistedmentat posted:

In Angela, they had people remembering the whole 1602-esque thing either as play or directly. They even had the Witch Queen Angela turned into as the big baddy of the arc/series (I think it's cancelled) and made here queen of the afterlife for angels. Leah is also the Leah that was on the Wall, and remembers all that stuff that happened there.

Decius fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 6, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Decius posted:

In Angela, they had people remembering the whole 1602-esque thing either as play or directly. They even had the Witch Queen Angela turned into as the big baddy of the arc/series (I think it's cancelled) and made here queen of the afterlife for angels. Leah is also the Leah that was on the Wall, and remembers all that stuff that happened there.

I was wondering if that Leah was the one who ran off with Illyana. So it was, drat I wish they kept that relationship going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
We haven't had anything definitely ruling out the Magik currently around is the Siege Magik, but yeah I doubt it will turn out to be the same Magik unless Kieron Gillen or Marguerite Bennett start writing X-Men.

• Locked thread