Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/728297587418247168

OH MY GOD TRUMP'S PIVOTING! HE'S GONNA BE UNSTOPPABLE IN NOVEMBER JUST YOU WATCH!

One of my old high school acquaintances who has recently become pro-Trump (After spending months railing against him) posted this tweet and commented that it seemed, "Genuine. Flawed, but genuine." So I guess he is managing to convince some people?

Of course he then went on to rail against Hillary for another two paragraphs so he probably wasn't exactly an independent to begin with but apparently the Trump pivot is working on some people!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

Another great feature is that the test scores are used as a way of doling out budget to the schools, with high-grading schools getting more money and low-grading schools getting less.

That's right. The failing schools that are most in need of help get LESS funding, thus ensuring they get stuck in a downward spiral.

I don't loving understand why liberals have such a hard-on for rewarding failure and punishing innovation. If you aren't achieving impact with your current methods, change your goddamn methods.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

I don't loving understand why liberals have such a hard-on for rewarding failure and punishing innovation. If you aren't achieving impact with your current methods, change your goddamn methods.

Changing methods requires money. If a school gets less money, the most likely methods they can change to are less effective ones. Money isn't just a reward, it's a tool and a requirement for many actions and abilities, and "punishing failure" by taking away tools for success is nonsensical. Maybe if you were talking about administrator salaries or something, it'd make sense, but you're talking about schools' functioning budgets.

EDIT: and also lol at standardized tests being a useful measure of a school's innovation or effectiveness. and also hi MIGF, nice to see you back.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 6, 2016

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Do we have an over/under on the number of pundits that are going to get kicked off of the Op-Ed pieces for newspapers yet?

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

i used blu to quit smoking

... -how-?

I switched to VUSE to get around my half a pack a day habit and I can't tell if I'm actually using it less or not.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Person Dyslexic posted:

One of my old high school acquaintances who has recently become pro-Trump (After spending months railing against him)

Is this guy the easily suggestible type? Has he been involved in cults? Has he tried to sell you cutlery or vacuum cleaners lately?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
He probably can't pivot enough to win but he can reclaim suburban whites and bring make the election close enough that his rhetoric is made a conservative pillar and just shunts the whole country further to the right.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Person Dyslexic posted:

One of my old high school acquaintances who has recently become pro-Trump (After spending months railing against him) posted this tweet and commented that it seemed, "Genuine. Flawed, but genuine." So I guess he is managing to convince some people?

Is your friend Hispanic? Is he 14 million Hispanic voters? If not then that's hardly evidence this is having the desired effect.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Person Dyslexic posted:

Of course he then went on to rail against Hillary for another two paragraphs so he probably wasn't exactly an independent to begin with but apparently the Trump pivot is working on some people!

So was Bernie Madoff upto the last days...

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ditocoaf posted:

Changing methods requires money. If a school gets less money, the most likely methods they can change to are less effective ones. Money isn't just a reward, it's a tool and a requirement for many actions and abilities, and "punishing failure" by taking away tools for success is nonsensical. Maybe if you were talking about administrator salaries or something, it'd make sense, but you're talking about schools' functioning budgets.

EDIT: and also lol at standardized tests being a useful measure of a school's innovation or effectiveness. and also hi MIGF, nice to see you back.

Figure out a loving way to introduce new methods in a sustainable manner. Yeah, its more work. So loving what? I'm doing it, so can your organization. Maybe if your org doesn't want to, your funding should be cut and given to a more deserving org like mine.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTfbBvIEbfA

Another good watch - consider Trump and the Dark Enlightenment

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ditocoaf posted:

Like, why the gently caress are schools paying textbook publishers anything when curriculum could be developed in-house in a method which addresses real-world problems in order to make the school some gently caress'n money?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

My Imaginary GF posted:

What else were you expecting from Trudeau's Canada? The question your government should be asking is, "What policies result in the lowest public expenditures over 10 and 20 years, taking kids or keeping them in place?" Until you ask that question, you just gonna throw away your money and create a whole lotta hurt in the process.

Situation began under Harper. Underlying situation predates MacDonald.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Another thought regarding the 'Jerry Building' video - one-party states are certainly bad, but are two parties much better? I'm thinking about writing in 'Yang Wenli' for president in November.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hodgepodge posted:

Situation began under Harper. Underlying situation predates MacDonald.

Right. As I said, what the gently caress else would one expect from a Trudeau government?

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

Edmund Lava posted:

Is your friend Hispanic? Is he 14 million Hispanic voters? If not then that's hardly evidence this is having the desired effect.

No but strangely enough he is married to one. Pretty sure the military broke his mind years ago though so Trump is just the end result.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Right. As I said, what the gently caress else would one expect from a Trudeau government?

Excellent hair, of course.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Person Dyslexic posted:

No but strangely enough he is married to one. Pretty sure the military broke his mind years ago though so Trump is just the end result.

Soon enough, the touch of He Who Walks In Nightmares will claim us all.

Trump 2016!

Edit: although really, I guess that's more of a Cruz ad.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

My Imaginary GF posted:

Because when schools fail it is almost always because they have structural problems that cost more money to fix. For example, rural schools have to pay *more* because teachers don't want to live in rural areas. Schools with collapsing infrastructure need more money for repairs, etc.

Google "corridor of shame"

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

Like, why the gently caress are schools paying textbook publishers anything when curriculum could be developed in-house in a method which addresses real-world problems in order to make the school some gently caress'n money?

Save money by making the kids do chores around the school!

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
From middle or junior high school you should start building a profile or a portfolio of knowledge, skills, and certifications. Everyone should be an equal 'independent contractor' in the 21st century economy. Without a top-down restructuring of how we approach education and employment the global economy will continue down a dire path of misallocated resources.

But down that road there is a dangled carrot - immortality through digital or medical means. One day a privileged few will have the money to eat the apple of immortality and be more than homo sapiens, but make no mistake they will still be very human beings.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

McDowell posted:

From middle or junior high school you should start building a profile or a portfolio of knowledge, skills, and certifications. Everyone should be an equal 'independent contractor' in the 21st century economy. Without a top-down restructuring of how we approach education and employment the global economy will continue down a dire path of misallocated resources.

But down that road there is a dangled carrot - immortality through digital or medical means. One day a privileged few will have the money to eat the apple of immortality and be more than homo sapiens, but make no mistake they will still be very human beings.

I liked you better when you were ranting about God rather than whatever this hot bullshit is.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

I liked you better when you were ranting about God rather than whatever this hot bullshit is.

In Genesis once Adam and Eve receive knowledge and can commit sin, what fruit is denied to them?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DemeaninDemon posted:

Save money by making the kids do chores around the school!

Save money by orientating your entire curriculum around solving real-world problems in a profitable manner, and eliminating all the loving useless and pointless busy work we have students do now.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

McDowell posted:

In Genesis once Adam and Eve receive knowledge and can commit sin, what fruit is denied to them?

Hopefully the Apple, so they won't be able to post.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Because when schools fail it is almost always because they have structural problems that cost more money to fix. For example, rural schools have to pay *more* because teachers don't want to live in rural areas. Schools with collapsing infrastructure need more money for repairs, etc.

Google "corridor of shame"

gently caress that. I don't want to pay for the breakfast of some poor's brood. /sarcasm

I just remembered a conversation I had in college about how the tea party would destroy the Republican party from the inside by taking them further right, when Republicans should be moving left because of changing demographics.

In the present, my step-dad thinks Trump will win the general election. He also thinks Ben Carson was the 2nd best candidate and would win the general election of Trump would not have shown up. My step-dad is a nice man, but his politics utterly baffle me. He really needs to stop following Fox news.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

McDowell posted:

Durians.

People who like the flavor of Durians are related to the tribe of Cain's wife.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

Save money by orientating your entire curriculum around solving real-world problems in a profitable manner, and eliminating all the loving useless and pointless busy work we have students do now.

Busy work teaches the life skill of putting up with bullshit work well below your talent level because your boss said so.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

McDowell posted:

I liked Assassin's Creed too, at least, until Unity came out.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Fojar38 posted:

A cartoon was posted of Donald Trump getting assfucked by a donkey and barely anyone noticed it

Come on USPoL

Mr tiny hands

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

My step-dad is a nice man, but his politics utterly baffle me.

One of my dear, lovely female family members is pro-Whoever The Republican Candidate Is and has hated Hillary with a slightly demented vengeance since the 1990s.

I don't know why I thought Trump would be a bridge too far for her. It wasn't. :sigh:

...I don't quite understand this very particular strain of Hillary hate. One of my friends has suggested that it comes from the sometimes complicated relationship women have with other powerful women? I suspect it's more a permanent case of Schlafly Syndrome ("we were better off in the kitchen!") but the Boomer housewife mindset is just alien to me.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Hopefully the Apple, so they won't be able to post.

Fantastic.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DemeaninDemon posted:

Busy work teaches the life skill of putting up with bullshit work well below your talent level because your boss said so.

Do we want kids who are talentless hacks, or do we want our kids to be their own bosses?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DemeaninDemon posted:

Why do we do this to each other? This is existential BDSM. I recently picked up this Raymond Williams book and early on was struck by some declaration in the 60's or 70's that we are entering 'unconscious' modernity. Life is more than checklists, assembly lines, and performance targets. Look at how poorly our education system prepares people for MLMs, workplace abuses, and medical quackery. The USA is on the same road as the USSR. Maybe we'll get the NSF and UNATCO.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

McDowell posted:

This is existential BDSM.

My safe word is sehnsucht.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Do we want kids who are talentless hacks, or do we want our kids to be their own bosses?

There are people who don't see the issue with everyone being the boss shaping policy as we speak, aren't there?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hodgepodge posted:

There are people who don't see the issue with everyone being the boss shaping policy as we speak, aren't there?

How many national parks were created by men willing to do meaningless bullshit until it blinds them? None. National parks were created by self-starters who worked a lot harder and did things a lot smarter, men like John Muir.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Standardized testing is clearly imperfect but it seems to work fine in other countries and unlike something like vouchers, I'm unaware of any spoiler effects that might make them uniquely terrible in the states. What's wrong with them, aside from wishy washy feel good poo poo? Most of the arguments against them that I've seen are coming from teachers and more represents frustration with the erosion of teacher privilege and teacher wages. Those are things worth fighting for but, again, are present in other countries with standardized tests. It seems like another part of the culture war that ignores more substantive economic issues.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Those worthy of being the boss will see past the busy work, put in their time, and earn their way up the ladder. Those who lack that ability do not deserve becoming the boss.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

McDowell posted:

Alpha Centauri?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Shbobdb posted:

Standardized testing is clearly imperfect but it seems to work fine in other countries and unlike something like vouchers, I'm unaware of any spoiler effects that might make them uniquely terrible in the states. What's wrong with them, aside from wishy washy feel good poo poo? Most of the arguments against them that I've seen are coming from teachers and more represents frustration with the erosion of teacher privilege and teacher wages. Those are things worth fighting for but, again, are present in other countries with standardized tests. It seems like another part of the culture war that ignores more substantive economic issues.

They are one metric, among many. Folk tend to over-rely upon them rather than instituting processes which innovate to raise scores on them. Innovative processes, like opening a community health center in your school. Innovate more, support failures less.

• Locked thread