Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Murphy Brownback posted:

I've never encountered people doing that kind of thing to be annoying, but I have definitely known people who start using british pronunciations and britishisms, even sometimes slipping into a fake british accent after watching dr who/downton abbey/etc. In those cases I think it's reasonable to be mad at the person because they're doing it for such a stupid reason.

Also British people are garbage and we fought a war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

How? Even if it was true they made some kind of deal for sex in exchange for the date wouldn't he be admitting to prostitution?
I don't want to derail the thread further, because this poo poo did happen (or at least people said it did under oath), but if you're curious, you can PM me and I'll forward your questions to my lawyer of a girlfriend. Keep in mind though, we live in Canada, where prostitution laws are different (but buying sex is still illegal).

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Definitely happened:

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/11/13/7218461/patriots-try-to-thank-all-their-fans-create-twitter-nightmare

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

We've seen this topic come up a few times in this thread so I was really surprised to see it actually (sort of) happen.
LUNCHROOM LUNACY: ISD COPS INVESTIGATE $2 BILL SPENT ON SCHOOL LUNCH
The bill was so old its manufacture predated the counterfeit prevention measures that make use of a counterfeit checking marker possible so they actually had reason to believe it was a fake bill

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

What bugs me about this one is that "they" is an lazy and incorrect but really handy shorthand for when you don't know or don't want to disclose someone's gender instead of some fumbly thing like "the customer" or "the person" so I the first thing I thought was weeeeeeellll maybe she's lesbian or bi and friends/family read her stuff and she doesn't want to disclose that she has a date with a girl maybe?

But then cash crab posts the followup where she says he's male and she doesn't have a problem saying so. So no, lazy "they" pronoun when the language already has a perfectly good one for that case.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

"Do you think girls can be fighters, too?"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wait, so she brought a real sword to this ren faire's sword fighting ring?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The use of the singular 'they' is perfectly acceptable. If it's good enough for motherfuckin' Shakespeare it's good enough for me. :colbert:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I know I'm late, but regarding the extreme couponing thing- some people do it just as a hobby and then donate the food they get to a food bank. You get a weird rush, forty bottles of free mustard, a chance to help people who rely on food banks, AND totally ruin a retail employee's day! What's not to love?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

bringmyfishback posted:

I know I'm late, but regarding the extreme couponing thing- some people do it just as a hobby and then donate the food they get to a food bank. You get a weird rush, forty bottles of free mustard, a chance to help people who rely on food banks, AND totally ruin a retail employee's day! What's not to love?

One of those things is terrible.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Don't be an rear end in a top hat to retail employees, you rear end in a top hat

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

They deserve it, with their lovely pay and their overworking bosses and the constant lack of respect, those bastards.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I think she was being tongue in cheek.

Boywhiz88 has a new favorite as of 06:14 on May 6, 2016

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Boywhiz88 posted:

I think he was being tongue in cheek.

You can't assume anything when it comes to posters on something awful

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

RareAcumen posted:

They deserve it, with their lovely pay and their overworking bosses and the constant lack of respect, those bastards.

Of course they do, they choose to work at a lovely job if they want more money they just have to bootstrap up and get an education :smug:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Boywhiz88 posted:

I think he was being tongue in cheek.

Oh sure, give her the benefit of the doubt.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Of course they do, they choose to work at a lovely job if they want more money they just have to bootstrap up and get an education :smug:

They should be glad to have a job at all the greedy bastards! drat entitlement generation wanting their jobs to pay them so well they don't have to be working and on welfare at the same time! :argh:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
More gambling stories STDH from these forums:

jase1 posted:

I have been to a few underground games where I felt like it wasn't on the up and up but I never felt cheated. Just felt like if I had a big winning session I might get robbed leaving the place. The thing is with the underground games is I have to be vouched most of the time and the person who would vouch for me would be someone I absolutely trust. the group of guys I know from poker knows everyone else so if someone was sending players to a game that was rigged they would be blacklisted and most likely bad things would happen to that person depending on who they screwed over.

About 7 or 8 years ago I was at a personal friends home game were something crazy happened.

I know it's offensive to say this word anymore but I don't know how to post this so I will abbreviate it to lilf for sakes of the story.

Lil fag is a guy I have known for a long time when he was in college he use to come to the cigar store and always lose his grant money in our games. He got his name because he has a short man syndrome and he just has this all around machismo about him but really short and very sensitive about being short so naturally we always made short jokes. He got really upset because someone called him a fag then it just became customary to call him lilf. He hated it but he wanted always wanted to gamble and wasn't bad at it. It was just very easy to get him on tilt and make bad decisions. So after he graduates med school he decides he is going to have a game. He invites some of us old timers and he has a really good game. I would go there and the action would be great lots of loose play and people who did not care about money. I use to bring 5k at the game because I wanted to stay all night and if I hit a couple of rough patches I had a big bankroll. This one night i get to the game about an hour after it starts and I notice a younger kid I have never seen before and he is nervous and I think sweet new blood. We play for awhile and the new guy keeps leaving to go smoke and coming back and he does this like 4 times in about 2 hours so it looks la little off. Then we hear a knock at the door lilf looks through the peephole and its the kid as soon as lilf unlocks the door 2 guys in black ski mask burst through the door with AK's and the kid with his hands up. They line us up including the kid on the far wall take all our money jewelry cells and wallets. I lost my cell and 5k in cash I did not have a wallet on me because I don't carry it in those places and I don't wear any jewelry so they got nothing from me there. Then they make us take off our pants and shirts and shoes they gather them all up in a trash bag the one guy pulls out this pepper spray cannister and sprays us all and they bolt.. I figure at most they got was about 25k to 30 k I can't quite remember the value of what they got.

As soon as they leave lilf washes his eyes runs next door and calls the cops before the cops even come I have already accused the kid of being in on it. He swears he has nothing to do with it but he was the only new guy plus he was nervous all night and acting strange. Cops come take everyone's statement and pretty much everyone thinks the kid had something to do with it. Cops find the bag of clothes and wallets that night on the side of the highway. Less than a week later the cops arrest the kid and he gives everyone up. He said he owed these 2 brothers money from a gambling debt and he told them about the game and helped them plan the robbery. His girlfriend was the getaway driver and they all got caught and went to jail. I never got my 5k back but I was there when they were sentenced and I cheered when they found guilty because gently caress them.

The last bet I made was the 1k on the cavs -7.5 in fact my last 6 bets are on the cavs or at least a cavs player and I won all of them. I have a really good bluff story but I need to ask the other player that was in the hand because I completely forget what the hand was and how it played out. Once I get ahold of him and he relays the hand to me I will post the bluff story.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cheerfullydrab posted:

Also British people are garbage and we fought a war.

Sadly, we lost :(

e: Oh you were talking about the US-UK thing back in the year knockwurst and sausage :lol:

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 07:58 on May 6, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cheerfullydrab posted:

One of those things is terrible.

Mustard is bad but I wouldn't say it's terrible :shrug:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

Mustard is bad but I wouldn't say it's terrible :shrug:

That depends, are we talking yellow mustard? Because yellow mustard is terrible. But poo poo like Grey Poupon or Colman's or whatever? Fantastic.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh god I don't give a poo poo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Your mustard is a piece of poo poo regardless.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Your Condiment Sucks

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

kizudarake posted:

"911? Our illegal high stakes poker game has just been robbed."

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I was loving joking. I've likely worked more retail than any of you.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

kizudarake posted:

I'm not sure what you find so unbelievable about this. Home games getting robbed isn't that uncommon. I know several folks with similar stories.

RNG posted:

"911? Our illegal high stakes poker game has just been robbed."
Unless the house is taking a cut of the pots, home poker games aren't illegal in most states, even if they're "high stakes." Robbing them, however, is illegal. Even if it is an illegal game, you can always lie and say you don't take a rake.

Imaduck has a new favorite as of 17:03 on May 6, 2016

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Imaduck posted:

I'm not sure what you find so unbelievable about this. Home games getting robbed isn't that uncommon. I know several folks with similar stories

It's more the fact that that particular guy has posted countless thrilling stories about his gambling adventures for years and always "remembers" a new one when the thread is slowing down. It's either fiction or embellished retellings of his and other peoples' stories.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

If you gamble a lot, you meet a lot of interesting people in interesting situations. It's part of what makes gambling fun and sometimes terrifying. This is doubly true if you're hustling people.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's embellishing / misremembering / retelling others' stories, but there's enough realness in there that a lot of the situations seem true enough. Also, I'm pretty sure he told this same story before, so at least he's consistent if he's making it up?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
My favorite part of tumblr, reddit, or a/t stdh is the pretzel like twists people who got tricked go through to justify why they didn't catch on to the liar's bullshit.

"Well, you see, if this happened on the day of the solstice, during a leap year, while the participant was wearing green socks then it could have happened, and nobody ever lies on the Internet. Plus this one piece sounds legit, so how DARE you say this guy is making poo poo up!"

It's just always so grossly convoluted and I love it every time. Please keep it coming. Just source your quotes next time so we know where they came from Imaduck.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
He could be like me and have a large text file filled with bullshit stories. Like so:

quote:

In August 1985, the NFL and NBA co-sponsored an “Annual Sportsball Crossover Event”, where the LA Lakers were pitted against the Dallas Cowboys in a stadium that was half football, half basketball. One of the players on the Lakers’ side, sportsballman Carl Johnson, was the only player on the team adept enough to manipulate a football to the same degree of precision as he could a basketball. Tragedy struck, however, when Johnson was struck by a charging lineman (Tommy “The Train” Krichevsky) in the middle of a big sports ball maneuver.

The last thing Johnson reportedly heard before having his sternum, jaw, and shoulders shattered by 300 pounds of man and protective equipment was: “Look the gently caress out CJ, the train!” Johnson was immediately rushed to the emergency room, and the game was called off.

His Sportsball colleague, Tim “Smoke” Washington quit that day, likely suffering from intense emotional stress following his friend’s grave injury. When asked for comments that day, he said: “All you had to do was follow the drat train [with your eyes], CJ.”

Two years later, Johnson recovered with help from cybernetic enhancements. He has since quit basketball, but was picked up by the LAPD in 1994 as a Lethal Enforcement Officer. His nickname, “Cyborg Johnson”, comes from the clearly visible chrome-plated robotic steel arms and torso keeping Johnson alive (and in incredible shape).

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Your mustard is a piece of poo poo regardless.

Nope. Stone ground jalapeno mustard is awesome.

bringmyfishback posted:

I was loving joking. I've likely worked more retail than any of you.

Nope. Pretty sure you are the wrongest wrong that ever wronged.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Imaduck posted:

If you gamble a lot, you meet a lot of interesting people in interesting situations. It's part of what makes gambling fun and sometimes terrifying. This is doubly true if you're hustling people.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's embellishing / misremembering / retelling others' stories, but there's enough realness in there that a lot of the situations seem true enough. Also, I'm pretty sure he told this same story before, so at least he's consistent if he's making it up?

Well, I don't wanna do this, I have a bad feeling about it, but she keeps askin me, keeps askin me, finally I said okay 'cause I'm sick of listening to it. Well, we're picking this guy up at the train station. So we get to the train station, and we're waitin for the guy. Now I'm carrying the weed in one of those carry-on bags, and I gotta take a piss. So I tell the connection I'll be right back, I'm goin' to the little boys room. So I walk into the men's room, and who's standing there? Six Los Angeles County Sheriffs and a German Shepherd.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Samizdata posted:

Nope. Pretty sure you are the wrongest wrong that ever wronged.

Seems to be the prevailing theme in the thread lately. Oh, well, more STDH, I suppose!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

RNG posted:

Six Los Angeles County Sheriffs and a German Shepherd.

It's a much better visual if it's an 18th century animal caretaker rather than a dog

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Twilight

quote:

I used to be pretty bad about this. I had decided my opinion about several things before I watched them. I finally quit it wean I watched the first Twilight movie.

Agnostic

quote:

Once a friend of mine asked a second friend why he had chosen to be agnostic. For some reason a girl flipped out and started ranting about how people should choose and added "Why would you choose to be Christian?" and then said a lot of stuff about why Christianity was bad. This troper replied, "Yeah! For instance why would someone choose to be Buddhist?" The girl (who was a Buddhist) kicked this troper's shin and said (in a perfectly serious and angry voice), "It's rude to mock other people's religions, rear end in a top hat!" This troper suffered a Heroic BSOD upon hearing that and spent several minutes trying opening and shutting his mouth while pointing at her and making gurgling noises.

Matrix

quote:

This troper's brother's friend's sister once complained that she didn't like The Matrix because they were always moving so slowly.

Plot

quote:

"I hated the plot of Passion of the Christ, I honestly thought it was stale and overdone (Oh wow, the main character dies for the greater good of humanity, how many times has THAT been done), but at least the characters sounded realistic and they got the languages right..."

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I could see the second one being STDH, but the others just sound like "dumb opinions about movies". We've got to be at or very near the bottom of the barrel for troper content if this is any indication.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Trooper tales are always at the bottom of whatever barrel you pull them out of.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Darkhold posted:

Trooper tales are always at the bottom of whatever barrel you pull them out of.

It's like when they give mental patients crayons and construction paper to help them get out their problems, but in this case it's the internet and a self-referential vocabulary.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

bringmyfishback posted:

Seems to be the prevailing theme in the thread lately. Oh, well, more STDH, I suppose!

No offense intended. I have just worked a terrifying large amount of retail, ranging from health food to grocery to menswear to office supplies to a butcher shop to home electronics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Samizdata posted:

No offense intended. I have just worked a terrifying large amount of retail, ranging from health food to grocery to menswear to office supplies to a butcher shop to home electronics.

I worked retail back in high school and finally I said "f dealing with these idiots, I'm gonna get a desk job".

So I got a job doing phone support for dial-up internet in 1998. :suicide:

hogmartin has a new favorite as of 20:04 on May 7, 2016