Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Instead of cutting funding to poorly-performing schools, why not have it trigger an audit instead where you're going to look really closely at how that district is being managed, and potentially firing some incompetents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/wpjenna/status/728372155126300674

Two possibilities here.

1. Trump has no idea how voting works at all

2. He really doesn't want to be president and is sabotaging his chances of getting over 1237.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Epic High Five posted:

Just nickname him Swiper so his followers have to explain to their kids why mommy and daddy love the person you hate so much

I think that audience has always been Trump supporters even if it wasn't the GOP primary they voted in.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kilroy posted:

Instead of cutting funding to poorly-performing schools, why not have it trigger an audit instead where you're going to look really closely at how that district is being managed, and potentially firing some incompetents?

The incompetents will usually be the state/county officials underfunding the school, and would never be targeted.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.

Person Dyslexic posted:

One of my old high school acquaintances who has recently become pro-Drumpf (After spending months railing against him) posted this tweet and commented that it seemed, "Genuine. Flawed, but genuine." So I guess he is managing to convince some people?

Of course he then went on to rail against Hillary for another two paragraphs so he probably wasn't exactly an independent to begin with but apparently the Drumpf pivot is working on some people!

You get the sense that the word "the" was dictated but not typed, right between "love" and "Hispanics."

Also lol http://www.vox.com/2016/5/5/11602458/donald-trump-grill-taco-bowl

quote:

On the same pass I also ordered "beef tacos" ($13.50) which turned out to be a fried tortilla bowl heaped with romaine lettuce, grated yellow cheese, and plain ground beef that was so devoid of flavor, it rendered an insult to Mexicans every bit as profound as Drumpf’s previous pronouncements. Drumpf food is bland food.

That tweet is just as effective as Trump posting a picture with him holding a bagel from Dunkin Donuts on Passover and saying "I love Jews!" No one he needs to convert s going to be swayed by this bullshit.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/wpjenna/status/728372155126300674

Two possibilities here.

1. Trump has no idea how voting works at all

2. He really doesn't want to be president and is sabotaging his chances of getting over 1237.

3. He's saying something crazy just to get attention.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kilroy posted:

You can't fire the voters.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Syjefroi posted:

That tweet is just as effective as Trump posting a picture with him holding a bagel from Dunkin Donuts on Passover and saying "I love Jews!" No one he needs to convert s going to be swayed by this bullshit.

But he's gonna pivot any day now. He's gonna pivot and get that electoral couch up the stairs and he's gonna win all the CPVs in addition to the girl votes.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

So like, what's to prevent huge swaths of the south deciding to innovate and turn public schooling into taxpayer funded Bible study?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The news peaked with Trump eating on top of a People magazine article of himself.

Everyone stop replying to MIGF.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Epic High Five posted:

So like, what's to prevent huge swaths of the south deciding to innovate and turn public schooling into taxpayer funded Bible study?

That one poster who wants the army to roll through the Ozarks and salt the earth, presumably.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cabbit posted:

That one poster who wants the army to roll through the Ozarks and salt the earth, presumably.

I mean that does eliminate my concern, I suppose I should've been more specific

:sherman:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Epic High Five posted:

Vouchers haven't caught on despite decades of trying, they aren't going to magically succeed after some arbitrary timeframe.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

Vouchers haven't caught on despite decades of trying, they aren't going to magically succeed after some arbitrary timeframe.

no need for vouchers though, if school districts have as much leeway and freedom as has been proposed and they would need to innovate and try new things, Liberty Council will just figure out some way to make it all neat and legal to directly use taxpayer funds to shutter schools and put it all into Bible study and gay bashing camps and distribute the "How To: Become a Tinpot Theocracy" brochures to every county in the nation

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

MIGF, when we move funds from lazy, underperforming schools to innovative successful schools, do we also move the kids? If those schools are doing so well because the administrators are geniuses, we should probably use that genius on the kids who need it the most, those who've been burned by a bad school.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ditocoaf posted:

MIGF, when we move funds from lazy, underperforming schools to innovative successful schools, do we also move the kids? If those schools are doing so well because the administrators are geniuses, we should probably use that genius on the kids who need it the most, those who've been burned by a bad school.

We should have racial and economic diversity as a funding metric of a sufficient weight as informed by evidence.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

FAUXTON posted:

But he's gonna pivot any day now. He's gonna pivot and get that electoral couch up the stairs and he's gonna win all the CPVs in addition to the girl votes.

This is a loving Friends reference isn't it?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

What do you think home schooling is?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Epic High Five posted:

The fact that doing that has been repeatedly confirmed illegal for the past 50 years? They can still teach that Reaganomics works or whatever but it's been made quite clear that excessively Christian stuff will be tossed out. You have a better chance of getting that in public schooling in Australia or the UK, as it turns out.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Samantha Bee continues to be the best

https://twitter.com/FullFrontalSamB/status/728340647711805441

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
beaten by pages

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 6, 2016

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

SSNeoman posted:

Everyone stop replying to MIGF.
This, please. It's not like he's going to be able to go more than a day between bans/probations, surely even USPOL can just politely ignore his outbursts for one goddamn dinner after we drove 8 hours to this family reunion, great now your sister's crying

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Combed Thunderclap posted:

:pray: oh lord give me both strength and faith in the Democratic Party to not gently caress this up and come up with half-way decent slogans also thank you for Donald Trump amen

EDIT: Also I want political ads starring Donald Duck doing stupid things, thanks in advance for the copyright waiver

Here ya go

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

AmiYumi posted:

This, please. It's not like he's going to be able to go more than a day between bans/probations, surely even USPOL can just politely ignore his outbursts for one goddamn dinner after we drove 8 hours to this family reunion, great now your sister's crying

Some of his ideas are kind of funny though.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

FAUXTON posted:

The silent majority supports Trump.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

AmiYumi posted:

He started it!! :colbert:

I forgot this was a thing

https://twitter.com/RealDolanTrump/status/378367195698307072

Prophetic :911:

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 6, 2016

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

fishmech posted:

The incompetents will usually be the state/county officials underfunding the school, and would never be targeted.
"Potentially firing."

If it's a matter of poor funding hopefully the audit would bear that out.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Epic High Five posted:

You mean the exact thing they're already going via charter schools?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

DaveWoo posted:

3. He's saying something crazy just to get attention.

Speaking of which, I came across someone on my Facebook today who argues we shouldn't be responding to or talking about what he's saying because it's playing into his hands to get attention. I'm curious what people think of that.

Personally, I'm of three thoughts:

1) This may not actually be a ploy to get attention. There is the possibility he is simply in fact a gigantic idiot

2) Not talking about it is not going to work out anyway, because the problem is not on an individual level (media spreads and perseverates it, he aligns with attitudes of Republican party, etc.), and at any rate it's not like not talking about it is going to help at this point

3) It'll get him more exposure, but that also means negative exposure. And since his unfavorability levels keep climbing, well.

What do y'all think?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Xanderkish posted:

Speaking of which, I came across someone on my Facebook today who argues we shouldn't be responding to or talking about what he's saying because it's playing into his hands to get attention. I'm curious what people think of that.

1) This may not actually be a ploy to get attention. There is the possibility he is simply in fact a gigantic idiot

2) Not talking about it is not going to work out anyway, because the problem is not on an individual level (media spreads and perseverates it, he aligns with attitudes of Republican party, etc.), and at any rate it's not like not talking about it is going to help at this point

3) It'll get him more exposure, but that also means negative exposure. And since his unfavorability levels keep climbing, well.

What do y'all think?

Ignoring works for obnoxious grade schoolers, not presidential candidates. The "just ignore Trump and he'll go away" ship sailed a long time ago.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Meanwhile, in the right wing infosphere...

ANY DAY NOW...

You leave Huma alone you monsters.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Xanderkish posted:

What do y'all think?

There was a time to ignore Donald Trump (remember when HuffPo or someone said they would file stories about him in entertainment rather than politics?) but it has looong since passed. It didn't work then because he was a big dumb idiot with name recognition in a field of very boring serious old guys in suits, so somebody was bound to talk about him. That let him get exposure with the segment of the GOP base that actually liked the dumb stuff he said, and those voters basically imprint on a candidate like ducklings.

At this point I think he'll probably have difficulty making headway in the general, but I think the right strategy is to go specific and negative. Make sure people remember every dumb thing he's said, because there's something offensive to each and every group of people in there. Press for specifics and show how his ideas don't make a lick of logical sense. These things didnt work on republican primary voters because they have a long history of not caring about racism or facts, but they hold a lot more water in the general.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Why is Huffpo so angry

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

amuayse posted:

Why is Huffpo so angry

Because it gets people to either a) view and share it because they are also Very Angry and wish to show everyone else that they are right, see, the Huffington Post agrees with them, or b) view and share it because they think the Huffington Post is hilariously stupid and wish to show everyone else how not hilariously stupid they are.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

amuayse posted:

Why is Huffpo so angry

They secretly have a crush on Fox News but handle it like a 4th grader.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

quote:

as recently at the 2000 election, Republicans were attracting 70 percent of the Muslim American vote.

“Islamic values are very much traditional family values: pro-life, pro-marriage, pro-traditional family values, pro-business, pro-trade,” says Ahmed, a Pakistani-American patent attorney, whose failed congressional run in 2011 helped her realize her interpretation of her Islamic faith was incompatible with the platform of the modern Democratic Party. “Things that are important to our community are very much Republican values.”

...A survey by the Council on American-Islamic Relations shows only 11 percent of American Muslims identify as Republicans. Even among Muslims who label themselves conservative, just over two-thirds say they belong to, or lean toward, the Democratic party.

Every single chance the GOP has to create a new, multicultural coalition...they smoke it snort it :allears:

It's actually quite sad to read, since most of the quotes in the article are from Muslims who have desperately been trying to get the GOP to pay attention to them for decades, to no avail.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What is done with the children who are not sufficiently innovative and profitable? Will the school nurse handle it on-site or will there be special headcount reduction centers?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

amuayse posted:

Why is Huffpo so angry

Huffpo really doesn't bother looking deeply into the credentials of anybody who posts opinion pieces on it. Some blogger for Russia Insider dusted off his 3 year idle account and started running anti-Clinton pieces continually once it became clear Sanders had zero chance of winning.

You can see what kind of terrible writing the person does by clicking their name, that brings up all their past articles.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Quorum posted:

You leave Huma alone you monsters.

Are you telling folk to be more like Anthony Wiener?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Every single chance the GOP has to create a new, multicultural coalition...they smoke it snort it :allears:

It's actually quite sad to read, since most of the quotes in the article are from Muslims who have desperately been trying to get the GOP to pay attention to them for decades, to no avail.

Pretty drat certain that Republicans began to pay a whole lotta attention to muslims on 9/11.

Careful what you wish for.

• Locked thread