Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rules question:
Creature spells you cast cost 1 less to cast.
Like on Krallenhorde Howler. If I have two out there, creatures still cost 1 less, right? The effects do not stack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

ButtWolf posted:

Rules question:
Creature spells you cast cost 1 less to cast.
Like on Krallenhorde Howler. If I have two out there, creatures still cost 1 less, right? The effects do not stack?
They do stack. If you have two Krallenhorde Howlers on the battlefield your creature spells cost 2 generic mana less to cast. If you have 3 out, it's 3 less. Keep in mind this only reduces the 'generic' mana cost in creature spells, and does not reduce the colored mana requirements.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

If we're talking about MTG pet-peeves mine is when an opponent gets impatient that I haven't killed them from an advantage and refuses to scoop. Sorry I'm playing around answers that you have a reasonable chance of having.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Mikujin posted:

They do stack. If you have two Krallenhorde Howlers on the battlefield your creature spells cost 2 generic mana less to cast. If you have 3 out, it's 3 less. Keep in mind this only reduces the 'generic' mana cost in creature spells, and does not reduce the colored mana requirements.

Or the colorless, as I had to explain to a player last FNM when he tried to tap an Island and Mountain to cast a TKS with 2 Herald of Kozilek out.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

qbert posted:

Another pro tip you should not do that I saw Pro Tour champion Steve Rubin doing on-camera: Don't hold cards upside-down in your hand as a shortcut to remembering the Reflector Mage effect.

Not only did Steve do this with asymmetrical sleeves, which allowed his opponent to easily keep track of the Hangarback Walker in his hand, he also turned the other 2 Walkers already in his hand upside-down, basically giving his whole hand away.

This is more commonly done to keep track of which cards your opponent knows are in your hand. Also it's fine to do for Reflector Mage. Like who cares if your opponent knows which card in your hand is the Hangarback that they put there? Flipping the other 2 was probably not good, but it could make for some interesting bluffs.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Fish Of Doom posted:

The grinders at my store either do that or, on the opposite end, announce every single thing that happens. "Beginning of turn, no actions, untap step, untap lands, untap creatures, go to upkeep, no actions, go to draw step, draw for turn, enter main phase one, play land for turn, tap island for one blue, tap plains for one white". Also constantly asking you how many cards are in your hand, even if its like turn 2 and all you've done is played a land. "Cards in hand?" "...Seven".

You ask early on because the best time to cheat by drawing extra cards is the first 2 turns in the game. I've caught people doing this before. Sometimes it's just a newer player who didnt realize that they needed to draw 6 and not 7 after mulliganing or "no dawg we ain't doing friendly mulligan rules at a tourney". But sometimes people just try to scum ya.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

suicidesteve posted:

This is more commonly done to keep track of which cards your opponent knows are in your hand. Also it's fine to do for Reflector Mage. Like who cares if your opponent knows which card in your hand is the Hangarback that they put there? Flipping the other 2 was probably not good, but it could make for some interesting bluffs.

My opponent casts Reflector Mage bouncing my Walker. At their EOT, I tap Jace and draw another Walker. I discard one of the Walkers to resolve Jace. If I discard the one I just drew instead of the one that's upside-down in my hand, I just gave away possibly important info.

I mean, I don't mind if my opponent wants to do stuff that helps me figure out what's in their hand, but they're definitely hurting themselves.

Edit: I've seen people do a similar thing in Legacy too where one person Git Probes to see their opponent's hand, then at EOT the opponent will Brainstorm, draw 3, NOT move the cards around in their hand, and choose 2 to put back on top, telling their opponent exactly how many of the known cards still exist in their hand.

qbert fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 5, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Random question, does anyone know what the MTG scene is like in San Francisco/Bay Area? I may be moving out there and want to know how much of my collection I should sell now vs. when I get there.

It's pretty large, at least in the South Bay. CFB's HQ is in Santa Clara and they run tournaments every night.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

qbert posted:

My opponent casts Reflector Mage bouncing my Walker. At their EOT, I tap Jace and draw another Walker. I discard one of the Walkers to resolve Jace. If I discard the one I just drew instead of the one that's upside-down in my hand, I just gave away possibly important info.

I mean, I don't mind if my opponent wants to do stuff that helps me figure out what's in their hand, but they're definitely hurting themselves.

That's completely different from holding it upside down until you play it in 2 turns. And even in that situation if you discard the upside-down Hangarback you're not actually giving them any information.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

80s James Hetfield posted:

Also, everyone's favorite thing to complain about : The constant shuffling of cards in your hand instead of just holding them

I cannot do this (or pile shuffle) at anything faster than a snail's pace and always feel like my opponent is judging me, at least if they can do either of these at a fast pace.

suicidesteve posted:

I (and most of my opponents have done this when relevant) will just put the revealed cards on the table at the very back so as to not confuse them with stuff in play. Granted this is at FNM levels but I've never seen anyone raise a fuss over it.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 5, 2016

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

suicidesteve posted:

That's completely different from holding it upside down until you play it in 2 turns. And even in that situation if you discard the upside-down Hangarback you're not actually giving them any information.

My whole point is why even hold it upside-down to begin with. If you draw another copy you're not going to flip it upside-down unless you're an idiot, and all you've done is create a situation where you could slip up and hurt yourself. If you're really that bad at remembering you can't cast a card, just write it down.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Does anyone know if WotC ever printed a Leafdrake Roost token? I'm pretty sure Dissension was before they started making official tokens, but I could be wrong.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
At the scars of mirrodin prerelease j played against a guy who kept his mana myr down with his lands. He literally stacked his copper myr with his forests

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Random question, does anyone know what the MTG scene is like in San Francisco/Bay Area? I may be moving out there and want to know how much of my collection I should sell now vs. when I get there.

I live in the South Bay and went to the SOI pre-release at Channel Fireball Game Center. It was a nice space, the people were cool, and fun all around. They have tournaments seemingly constantly.

Edit: all this complaining about how hard it is to keep track of your opponents lands, but it's against the rules to very helpfully place them in front!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

ThePeavstenator posted:

Or the colorless, as I had to explain to a player last FNM when he tried to tap an Island and Mountain to cast a TKS with 2 Herald of Kozilek out.

That does seem like it should work, though.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Soul Glo posted:

That does seem like it should work, though.

Herald reduces costs by generic though, not colorless.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Some Numbers posted:

Herald reduces costs by generic though, not colorless.

Yeah I get it, Herald reduces cost, it's not actually generating Colorless, which the TKS requires separate from its generic cost. I had this argument playing with a friend, it just SEEMS like it could work that way.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

clamiam45 posted:

I live in the South Bay and went to the SOI pre-release at Channel Fireball Game Center. It was a nice space, the people were cool, and fun all around. They have tournaments seemingly constantly.

Edit: all this complaining about how hard it is to keep track of your opponents lands, but it's against the rules to very helpfully place them in front!

It's not against the rules to place them up front, it's just a requirement that you have them in certain ares if you are on camera.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Anyone have any magical recommendations for San Diego?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

How long do you think we have to wait on the Travis Woo YouTube Special: Entering the Exile Zone?

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

anglachel posted:

It's not against the rules ... it's just a requirement ...

Oh right thanks for clearing that up.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

Yeah I get it, Herald reduces cost, it's not actually generating Colorless, which the TKS requires separate from its generic cost. I had this argument playing with a friend, it just SEEMS like it could work that way.

Blame WOTC for deciding randomly that "one colorless mana" was too verbose but coming up with a symbol for colorless was too expensive.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mikujin posted:

How long do you think we have to wait on the Travis Woo YouTube Special: Entering the Exile Zone?

I think the entire saga of Travis Woo has been fascinating and I'd love to see somebody comprehensively cover it and study him but I wouldn't want to have to be the one to jump on that grenade.

edit: I also am really sympathetic to not being lovely to people with mental illness, which he may have, so trust me when I am very hesitant to say this, but I think Travis is just an rear end in a top hat and this has all been how he has coped with things not going exactly the way he thinks they should all the time.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

clamiam45 posted:

Oh right thanks for clearing that up.
It's amazing; you cut off the last half of a sentence and it changes dramatically!

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Travis Woo might be mentally ill but he is definitely also a huge piece of poo poo who can't see past the wispy hairs on his face pretending to be a beard. It sucks if the former is true but I think the latter is almost definitely true independently.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

edit: I also am really sympathetic to not being lovely to people with mental illness, which he may have, so trust me when I am very hesitant to say this, but I think Travis is just an rear end in a top hat and this has all been how he has coped with things not going exactly the way he thinks they should all the time.

I fully believe that TWoo is in full rational control and understanding of his actions and is just an idiot. He may have various illnesses or troubles, but none that would excuse his behavior.

In law, an insanity plea is based on not "being crazy" because it's quite arguable that it's crazy to take a human life or whatever, but rather being fully cognizant of your actions and their consequences. If you've got some deep bullshit that will take years of therapy but you slash someone's throat because you know that that will kill them, you're still guilty even if you're soft in the noggin. If you are so removed that you can't understand the concepts of knives, throats, and the consequences of their intersection, then you get the insanity plea and they take you off to the hospital instead of the prison.

TWoo is fully aware of what he's doing, and what he's doing is just Having Bad Opinions On Things.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

black potus posted:

Travis Woo might be mentally ill but he is definitely also a huge piece of poo poo who can't see past the wispy hairs on his face pretending to be a beard. It sucks if the former is true but I think the latter is almost definitely true independently.

I have a wispy Keanu Reeves beard please do not bad beard shame

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Does he still go down stairs backwards?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Mikujin posted:

Hell, he's even getting the set name right.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

I have a wispy Keanu Reeves beard please do not bad beard shame

Do you walk up the stairs backwards so the draft doesn't chill your face?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

black potus posted:

Do you walk up the stairs backwards so the draft doesn't chill your face?

No I just grow a cool beard

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Full Fathoms Five posted:

Is there any way to see which commons / uncommons in a given set might be useful / worth more than a couple pennies? I know I could just sift through all the prices manually, but I was hoping there was a process that was a little less tedious. I've got an old box of random Zendikar stuff that's like 99% C/UC stuff, but I'm not sure if there is anything worth keeping an eye out for of it's all just basically bulk.

I'll buy your bulk stuff.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I wonder why Hanweir Miltia Captain isn't in the tokens deck?

I tried it out and it just wrecks the loving game sometimes. I mean, sure its a 2/2 that doesn't do anything sometimes, but Hangarback Walker just gets exiled a significant portion of the time too given how much removal seems to go for that.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
My LGS has a father and son play every Friday night that used to tap their lands about 30 degrees or so to denote usage for mana. I could never tell what was and wasn't tapped all the time because they were also a little sloppy on land placement. I broke them of the habit by constantly asking them to describe their board state, how much mana they had untapped, etc. Several times they couldn't tell me exactly and we'd have to get a judge in to sort it all out. They sorted it out quickly and now tap about 85 degrees.

Now I just need to get one of the teenagers in the store to stop picking up my creatures and putting them in my graveyard for me when he kills something. And, when aiming burn spells at me, reaching across the table to nearly tap me with it. Personal space hoola hoop, man. But I enjoy his enthusiasm.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
So I just finally got 35 season 1 QPs on MTGO. Can someone tell me what this means or how I use them?

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One more rules question: Blazing Shoals. I have to pay 2R no matter what and the card i exile gives the boost only as its colorless cost, not total right?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

No, you remove the card in your hand instead of paying the mana cost and the +X/+0 is the red card's total converted mana cost including all colours and generic. 7RR would be +9/+0.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

ButtWolf posted:

One more rules question: Blazing Shoals. I have to pay 2R no matter what and the card i exile gives the boost only as its colorless cost, not total right?

Nope, if you exile a card it costs nothing and X is the total cost of the card, otherwise it's XRR and X paid is what sets X.
E:f, b

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good. I got a real cheap hit for 16 on turn 1 gimmick deck. I like dumb poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

ButtWolf posted:

Good. I got a real cheap hit for 16 on turn 1 gimmick deck. I like dumb poo poo.

If you're having fun you're doing magic right! Share your super dumb/fun combo with the rest of the class?

• Locked thread