Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Hodgepodge posted:

Sequels are also, as a general rule subject to exceptions, not very good.

I don't think that's actually true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

TomViolence posted:

Alien would benefit greatly, I think, from being more like an anthology, with a different cast, a different situation and a radically different, self-contained story in each iteration.

I agree, Prometheus was great.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

It's as true as "Originals are also, as a general rule subject to exceptions, not very good."

OLD PEOPLE CAN'T ACT IN MOVIES is weird. They don't have to write her doing backflips and wrestling a queen by the snout. Old people can still shoot guns. Plus there aren't enough horror movies starring an older woman - it could be its own thing. She's only 66, sheesh. My parents are that age and I just played basketball/ping pong with my dad for 5 hours last weekend and the next day he tore up a bunch of concrete tiles from the back patio. It's about the age Gandalf was in the LotR movies, I think.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

boom boom boom posted:

It's typically the second sequel that is not well received. Sequels are often close to or better received as compared to the first. Go all of the way back to Bride of Frankenstein for an early example.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Wild T posted:

Hang on, rewatching A:R due to a joke post that now invested in. Pray for me, because this movie is terrible.

You can probably tie it in with the pregnancy ward scene and the pregnant cafe worker. As terrible as that movie is, at least it's a fun watch unlike how boring AvP was.

Tenzarin posted:

She must of smoked so many cigarettes!

Are you not aware of the stories of how Fisher spent her Star Wars money?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I rewatched Chappie last night and God that movie loving owns. I am so excited for Blomkamp's Alien, simply because it's him doing it and I am very curious to see what that crazy motherfucker does with the material.

Worst case scenario, it'll be a really drat cool-looking retread, and I'm alright with that.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I rewatched Chappie last night and God that movie loving owns. I am so excited for Blomkamp's Alien, simply because it's him doing it and I am very curious to see what that crazy motherfucker does with the material.

Worst case scenario, it'll be a really drat cool-looking retread, and I'm alright with that.

It should be noted that something cool could still be done with Ripley. And Blomkamp is certainly a candidate for the director who makes that happen.

I'm pretty happy that we may just get to have it both ways here.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

He's going to do the least crazy and interesting thing with the material.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just found this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5PxqOZ-dzc, someone added/modified some Alien 3 effects and put up comparisons with the original. It's maybe a little bit goofy but I like the idea of seeing the Alien as a "dragon" of sorts from Golic's perspective.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Just found this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5PxqOZ-dzc, someone added/modified some Alien 3 effects and put up comparisons with the original. It's maybe a little bit goofy but I like the idea of seeing the Alien as a "dragon" of sorts from Golic's perspective.

The second clip with Golic doesn't make sense to me, isn't that scene from the perspective of the alien?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

He's going to do the least crazy and interesting thing with the material.

I'm really not sure how you could say this if you've seen a single movie he's done before. I mean, keep in mind people assumed Chappie was just gonna be South African Short Circuit, and while that wasn't inaccurate it doesn't even half do the movie justice.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, short circuit was enjoyable.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm really not sure how you could say this if you've seen a single movie he's done before. I mean, keep in mind people assumed Chappie was just gonna be South African Short Circuit, and while that wasn't inaccurate it doesn't even half do the movie justice.

His idea for an Alien sequel is to ignore Alien 3 and do the continuing adventures of Ripley, Hicks, and Newt. In other words, its the kind of thing that would typically happen in a fan-film. Its exactly what Alien fanboys have been asking for since the release of Alien 3.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'd prefer Chappie in space to Ridley grittily wanking about hubris for another two hours.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 5, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I've liked all of Blomkamps movies and was kind of "ehh" on Prometheus, so I'm looking forward to Blomkamp's Alien more than Scott's Alien

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Prometheus was a terrible movie. Riddley Scott redeemed himself a ton with the Martian but i'm still not excited at all for his next Alien film and think he should just leave it the gently caress alone.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

Prometheus was a terrible movie. Riddley Scott redeemed himself a ton with the Martian but i'm still not excited at all for his next Alien film and think he should just leave it the gently caress alone.

The Martian was pretty good but ultimately forgettable. Prometheus was one of the top 3 sci-fi films of the past 20 years. I would say its THE best, but I think Under the Skin is better.

The forum's kinda slow these days, gently caress it lets have another argument about Prometheus.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Under the Skin sucked

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

His idea for an Alien sequel is to ignore Alien 3 and do the continuing adventures of Ripley, Hicks, and Newt. In other words, its the kind of thing that would typically happen in a fan-film. Its exactly what Alien fanboys have been asking for since the release of Alien 3.

On the other hand, you've basically got two options for a full-on no-poo poo Alien sequel in 2016: follow from Resurrection, or pretend at least one of the movies never happened.

Nobody wants to see more Resurrection. I think everyone in this thread can agree on that. That poo poo can go right in the trash.

Once you choose to ignore part of the series, the question then becomes "where do you draw the line?" Alien 3 seems obvious, but then consider how Alien 3 ends: the Xenomorphs are extinct, Ripley's dead, the Company lost, the story is over. Period. This doesn't really leave you a lot of options. Meanwhile, Aliens ends on a somewhat less final note, and has significantly more possibilities available. The fact that fanboys want exactly this would seem to be a happy accident, not the primary motivator.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
Prometheus was awesome, but I can see it not what people wanted out of an Alien movie

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

On the other hand, you've basically got two options for a full-on no-poo poo Alien sequel in 2016: follow from Resurrection, or pretend at least one of the movies never happened.

Nobody wants to see more Resurrection. I think everyone in this thread can agree on that. That poo poo can go right in the trash.

Once you choose to ignore part of the series, the question then becomes "where do you draw the line?" Alien 3 seems obvious, but then consider how Alien 3 ends: the Xenomorphs are extinct, Ripley's dead, the Company lost, the story is over. Period. This doesn't really leave you a lot of options. Meanwhile, Aliens ends on a somewhat less final note, and has significantly more possibilities available. The fact that fanboys want exactly this would seem to be a happy accident, not the primary motivator.

Alternately just do what the EU did and casually handwave the Aliens being "extinct", write stories that don't revolve around Ripley, and have a good time.

What I'm saying is either Blomkamp or Cronenberg should adapt Aliens: Labyrinth.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hodgepodge posted:

Prometheus was awesome, but I can see it not what people wanted out of an Alien movie

I definitely think there were some problems with the marketing of the movie that contributed to some people reacting to it the way they did. The mostly indirect Alien connection probably would have been better as more of a fun surprise rather than releasing a trailer that basically screamed OMG RIDLEY SCOTT HAS MADE ANOTHER ALIEN MOVIE.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
When was the last time Cronenberg showed any interest in sf/horror stuff though

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Xenomrph posted:

Alternately just do what the EU did and casually handwave the Aliens being "extinct", write stories that don't revolve around Ripley, and have a good time.

What I'm saying is either Blomkamp or Cronenberg should adapt Aliens: Labyrinth.

Hahaha I just realized the end of Alien 3 has the same unresolved issue as the end of Alien: the loving space jockey ship is still sitting there on LV-426 with eggs inside. Unless the fusion reactor took it out when it blew.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

General Battuta posted:

Hahaha I just realized the end of Alien 3 has the same unresolved issue as the end of Alien: the loving space jockey ship is still sitting there on LV-426 with eggs inside. Unless the fusion reactor took it out when it blew.
You could go either way with it. The special edition of 'Aliens' specifically says it's behind a mountain range, a good distance from Hadley's Hope.
The Colonial Marines Technical Manual literally ends with a W-Y team saying "hey... could the derelict ship have survived the blast? Let's send a survey team" and they confirm that it's still there and full of eggs.
A few video games ran with that idea and had you revisit the Derelict after the events of 'Aliens', but surprisingly the comic books never went back there.

The Derelict's survival raises some plot holes with 'Alien Resurrection', like why go to the trouble of cloning Ripley when there's a whole ship full of eggs waiting to be plundered. The Weyland Yutani Report only gives it the briefest of mentions, merely saying that it was "non viable" by the events of Resurrection.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If I was making Alien 4 it would not have poor old dead Ripley or any aliens that came from the derelict. Maybe they'd find something totally new, another wreck. Maybe it would be more about the space jockeys, where did they come from? Why did they have a ship full of alien eggs? Maybe it would follow a team of corporate researchers finally finding a ruined jockey facility of some sort full of spooky mysteries. I like the android/replicants in alien, so it would probably centre around one.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Baronjutter posted:

If I was making Alien 4 it would not have poor old dead Ripley or any aliens that came from the derelict. Maybe they'd find something totally new, another wreck. Maybe it would be more about the space jockeys, where did they come from? Why did they have a ship full of alien eggs? Maybe it would follow a team of corporate researchers finally finding a ruined jockey facility of some sort full of spooky mysteries. I like the android/replicants in alien, so it would probably centre around one.
The comic series 'Aliens: Apocalypse' is literally this, and it's surprisingly pretty great. It came out in 1999 and it cribs from Lovecraft's 'At the Mountains of Madness' about as heavily as Prometheus does, I talked about it either much earlier in this thread or in the Prometheus thread at some point.

It doesn't try to "explain" things that much (and what it does explain is coming from a really unreliable narrator), the artwork is really solid, it's all new characters (even if one is sort of a Ripley-surrogate, but really only about as much as Shaw was in Prometheus), and it's got a lot of cool Giger-esque designs and architecture.

I'm a huge fan of Giger's design work on the Derelict, and NECA just released this replica this week:

https://youtu.be/vPTPYPPJijA

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That's quite the cardboard box review.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Make my alien movie. I have just enough ego to say my idea is better than Blomkamp's fan film.

Literally anything is better than Blomkamp's fan film. This is a hill I will fight for.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hope Blomkamp's alien is just Chappie with the alien replacing the robots in every shot.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Baronjutter posted:

I hope Blomkamp's alien is just Chappie with the alien replacing the robots in every shot.

One thing that Blomkamp excels at is presenting nonhuman points of view with extreme verisimilitude, so I actually expect that you're not far off.

Earlier in the thread, I looked at Aliens from the perspective of the queen, the escape pod's computer - even the exosuit. Taking such things into account changes the film dramatically.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Baronjutter posted:

:golfclap:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Short Circuit 2, actually. Which is also better than Chappie.

boom boom boom posted:

Under the Skin sucked

Actually, it was the best sci-fi movie in twenty years or so

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Short Circuit 2, actually. Which is also better than Chappie.

Actually, it was the best sci-fi movie in twenty years or so

no it sucked

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

a compelling argument.

what didn't you like about it out of curiosity?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I tried to get my roommate to watch Under the Skin, but I made the critical mistake of hyping it up by telling him that Scarlett Johansson was naked a lot in it. I thought this tactic would work because this guy normally wouldn't be into a slow, more meditative, potentially confusing film.

I bring up the idea of watching the movie the next day and he says "I don't need to watch it, I just youtubed all the naked ScarJo clips."

Me and my roommate are very different people.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I hyped it up for my friends by saying it was like Invasion of the Body Snatchers '78, but my friends are all dorks

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

a compelling argument.

what didn't you like about it out of curiosity?

it was super dumb. This lady is an alien that kills men and is super sexy but then a nice guy is nice to her and she discovers true love but then a guy tries to rape her and reveals that she's a horrible monster "under the skin" and then the rapists saves the day by setting her on fire. dumb movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

but then a guy tries to rape her and reveals that she's a horrible monster "under the skin" and then the rapists saves the day by setting her on fire. dumb movie.

looooool if that's how you read the end of that movie I think that's entirely on you bud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

looooool if that's how you read the end of that movie I think that's entirely on you bud

that's literally what happened