Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Tayter Swift posted:

six stages was still the best cuz he conveniently forgot about the whole Bayesian thing and just figured they were all independent events

Specifically, he acted as if it would be the conjunction fallacy to suggest there was any correlation whatsoever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
I bet nate silver feels that french thing where you think of the perfect thing to have said only after the opportunity has past, and it tortures you

Months and months ago he probably looked at the numbers and had the thought "according to all the models that made me famous, trump has this thing", but then brushed it aside and went with common sense.

If only he had stuck to his old philosophy of trusting the science of modern polling, then he and 538 could have ascended to the status of legendary precognosticators for calling Trump when every other organization declared the polling to be irrelevant. Instead the hero of accurate-prediction-in-the-face-of-overwhelming-ridicule goes to Ann loving Coulter

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
L'esprit d'escalier

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I prefer the more pedestrian saying, "the stair-way wit" because it shows that I'm both aware of the phrase, and I can drop it at an applicable moment without showing off.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/718836449424977920

Bernice Anders
Feb 26, 2016

by zen death robot

:sad:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Powercrazy posted:

I prefer the more pedestrian saying, "the stair-way wit" because it shows that I'm both aware of the phrase, and I can drop it at an applicable moment without showing off.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

I bet nate silver feels that french thing where you think of the perfect thing to have said only after the opportunity has past, and it tortures you

Months and months ago he probably looked at the numbers and had the thought "according to all the models that made me famous, trump has this thing", but then brushed it aside and went with common sense.

If only he had stuck to his old philosophy of trusting the science of modern polling, then he and 538 could have ascended to the status of legendary precognosticators for calling Trump when every other organization declared the polling to be irrelevant. Instead the hero of accurate-prediction-in-the-face-of-overwhelming-ridicule goes to Ann loving Coulter

eh I dunno I still think the gop race was essentially decided by isis and those wanna-bes in San Bernardino

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Then again the other eighteen candidates were incompetent loving garbage so :shrug:

Where have all the Ike's gone

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Nat Silver more like Nate Bronze since that shine is diminished.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Oil! posted:

I think it happens when you are in an industry where even with 100% accurate forecasting of uncommon or rare events, people always assume that 1% event occurring is proof the forecaster sucks. The amount of time I have to explain that 20% of our wells will fall out of our P10-P90 range is depressing.

The problem wasn't that he was incorrect, it's how he was incorrect and how he refused to change in the face of overwhelming evidence against what he was saying. He got pretty lucky in that 08 and 12 were straightforward elections that were easy to model and even then you could do basic poll averaging and get the same result he got. And poo poo, even give the guy a pass for not catching on early. But the results of Iowa, which many like Nate used as evidence against Trump was actually really obviously strong evidence he had a real good loving chance if you understood how to parse the numbers and weren't desperate to prove how right you were months ago.

Besides that though, there was evidence even very early on that Trump had a good chance and I can't be the only one that picked up on those signals-- I think I put Trump at a strong chance as early as July- August. But you had to be on the ground and familiar with what your typical republican was thinking early on- that's why I think a lot of people here messed it up so badly as well, they just plain don't talk to republicans or even know many. That leads to getting filtered information and not truly understanding, for example, how loving pissed off the base was and no, it was much different than the establishment hate that normally goes on. At the end of the day he made the classic statistics error of using fancy models (that he doesn't really understand) to try and bend reality to your preconceived notion rather than just looking at what the data is actually telling you. See it all the loving time, particularly in social science research.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Tayter Swift posted:

eh I dunno I still think the gop race was essentially decided by isis and those wanna-bes in San Bernardino

Nah. Though boiling down complex events to single, simple explanations is a very common mistake laypeople make and why most people suck at predictions.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
-10%

ANY DAY NOW!

Bernice Anders
Feb 26, 2016

by zen death robot
I guess I first realized that Trump was for real after the McCain incident made his numbers go UP and he ignored the media blitz right after to drop out. Then in December when it became obvious the Republicans had no plan for him, were still in denial about what was happening, that's when I knew.

That's when I knew Trump is going to be president.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Wikkheiser posted:

Nat Silver more like Nate Bronze since that shine is diminished.

Nate Tarnished

Mods doing great with thread titles

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

This isn't as embarrassing as writing the 15 increasingly desperate columns about why Trump isn't really winning, but it is more baffling. Like how hard is it to look at the primary schedule, the different winner take all rules, and realize what actually happened was indeed possible? This was only a few weeks ago he tweeted this

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

:perfect:

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Bernice Anders posted:

I guess I first realized that Trump was for real after the McCain incident made his numbers go UP and he ignored the media blitz right after to drop out. Then in December when it became obvious the Republicans had no plan for him, were still in denial about what was happening, that's when I knew.

That's when I knew Trump is going to be president.

he's still not going to be president now that the people voting in a race including him include people who aren't white

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Fast Luck posted:

This isn't as embarrassing as writing the 15 increasingly desperate columns about why Trump isn't really winning, but it is more baffling. Like how hard is it to look at the primary schedule, the different winner take all rules, and realize what actually happened was indeed possible? This was only a few weeks ago he tweeted this

throwing good money after bad

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

oh man nate is not having a good year

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

My favorite thing about Enten at least, and I think Nate too, is that there's this pretense that he doesn't vote because as a journalist he's supposed to remain neutral. At the same time, of course, they've both been attacking Trump the whole cycle. I don't think there's anything wrong with journalists having opinions, and Trump is evil so attacking him is good; it's the part where they have this weird samurai ethos about the honorable thing to do as a journalist despite that.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Fast Luck posted:

I think a running theme from this election cycle was that Nate doesn't understand momentum (at least when it doesn't involve the "party uniting"). Wins foster more wins, and a loser candidate will find it almost impossible to bounce back from repeated loses. Once Trump won New Hampshire and South Carolina back to back (in addition to getting second place in Iowa!) a logical pundit should have realized he was the large favorite to win because after winning 2 of the first 3 primaries the momentum is overwhelmingly on that candidate's side. In fact every eventual GOP presidential choice since 1976 has won at least 2 of the first 3 states. After Nevada and Super Tuesday it should have been even more painfully obvious that Trump had all the momentum outside of a narrow region that backed Ted Cruz. Yet even until the bitter end he entertained the hilarious vision that somehow Trump had an absolute limit on his support that he had already reached, and if only all the other candidates but one dropped out somehow those voters would unite perfectly against Trump.

It really is stunning looking back over the last 9 months of polling data that almost no pundits predicted that the candidate who held an almost uninterrupted lead in polling on the national level, in NH, and SC could possibly win the party's nomination.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

There are some that predicted it, it's just loud people were trying to deny it. I don't even think it's about momentum either, Trump was winning from beginning to end, and his loss in Iowa was because that's evangelical country, he went on to lose states like Kansas the same way

Revenants Return
Mar 28, 2016

by Shine
nates problem is the same one that exists here. Its not that he doesn't talk to republicans, its that he doesn't know a single normal person and has his head up his rear end.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
nate's actual fundamental flaw is that
https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/728303624040894464

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
(The screenshot is better)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Nate Silver's a bitch. He and Harry Enten have been melting down on twitter today about how polls were more accurate than pundits without any real admission that they hosed up by engaging in massive punditry themselves. Nate at least said the political science models may not be any better than conventional wisdom in that there's small sample sizes and it only shows what happens if underlying conditions remain the same, but I guess you can't really expect him to say 'I'm running an entire media platform now and have to produce hack bullshit articles because just aggregating polls doesn't produce enough clicks anymore.'

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
so what's next now that silver is done

do we go back to Sam wang or sheep entrails or just an eternal :shrug: or what

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Tayter Swift posted:

RCP and other polling aggregates.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Polls are genuinely the most reliable indicator we have (alongside demographic data for primaries maybe since polling data is so limited), but Silver doesn't own the concept of aggregating polls. If people want to use 538 as their source for polling info, I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but there are other sources too.

Punditry is interesting and gives political junkies something to obsess over, so it's never going away, but I think the idea that Silver's some sort of wizard who's above creating lovely clickbait to feed that demand should be considered pretty thoroughly debunked at this point. Turns out he's just as susceptible to groupthink as anyone else. A lot of his defense this week has essentially been "If you ignore all the things we got wrong, we actually got everything right too."

Dr Kool-AIDS has issued a correction as of 00:00 on May 6, 2016

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Tayter Swift posted:

Actually, 538 just starting holding debates in front of a live audience:

I'm guessing Nate's wall-to-wall Trump coverage has actually made him mad cash so far.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

Benchmark Politics is pretty good even though they absolutely screwed me on Indiana.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Vox Nihili posted:

Benchmark Politics is pretty good even though they absolutely screwed me on Indiana.

From their frontpage:

Personally, I'd just stick to the proven polls-plus model.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

From their frontpage:

Benchmark has been closer on average than polls plus.

Assuming you're not being sarcastic about polls plus, because lol.

Revenants Return
Mar 28, 2016

by Shine

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

From their frontpage:

A screenshot of excel with the default heatmap applied....my wallet!!!!
And the same heatmap applied to the total row, buy the thresholds are differ et.., my freaking wallet!!!!!!!!!!

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Sinteres posted:

My favorite thing about Enten at least, and I think Nate too, is that there's this pretense that he doesn't vote because as a journalist he's supposed to remain neutral. At the same time, of course, they've both been attacking Trump the whole cycle. I don't think there's anything wrong with journalists having opinions, and Trump is evil so attacking him is good; it's the part where they have this weird samurai ethos about the honorable thing to do as a journalist despite that.

On the podcast after NY, Nate said that he was able to register late somehow and cast his vote strategically to make the biggest impact. He lives in Manhattan so he probably voted for Kasich.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nate Silver is a mistake, Nate Silver is a waste

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

On the podcast after NY, Nate said that he was able to register late somehow and cast his vote strategically to make the biggest impact. He lives in Manhattan so he probably voted for Kasich.

Okay, fair enough. Enten definitely said he doesn't vote on Twitter though.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

How's 538 been with the down ballot stuff anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

citybeatnik posted:

How's 538 been with the down ballot stuff anyway?

Better than Bernie Sanders at least :rimshot:

• Locked thread