Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Now that I think about it I'm more interested in a possible future Forza Horizon on PC. Weird though, I now have this whole PC sim setup pretty much because the Xbox One dropped support my Forza 4 CSR Wheel, that was the main reason for not getting one and going back to the PC checking up on racing sims there.

Edit: Thanks for the Win10 upgrade suggestions, I'll see if I can find the motivation to do it this month.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cojawfee posted:

You can't use your 7 or 8 keys because they are 7 or 8 keys. Windows 10 checks your previous key license and then adds your hardware fingerprint to Microsoft's list of licenses.

No, since the first big update (November IIRC) you can actually just put your 7/8 key in to the 10 installer and it works. Before that you had to do an upgrade first to tag the hardware, then you could nuke and clean install.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah forza horizon is lots of fun they shouldve ported that first

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also performance in this is weird got a 980ti and it runs perfect but once it rains it TANKS plus the mirror being 30 fps constant is annoying

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Abu Dave posted:

also performance in this is weird got a 980ti and it runs perfect but once it rains it TANKS plus the mirror being 30 fps constant is annoying

What track were you on? My rain performance at Sebring was great with 16 cars on track on a 970. The only performance problems I had were while I was streaming, and I think that's because the OBS full screen capture required for UWP titles probably isn't as efficient as its normal method.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That first rain one in the career. are you using dynamic or hand set settings?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"Did you touch the steering wheel recently? If so, TIRES SQUEALING!!!"

I'm all for getting feedback but man they overdid it a bit.

Audio in general is a bit dull, the boss 302 has one of the most glorious sounding engines in history and while the sound was right, it just wasn't meaty at all. Forza used to be much, much better at that stuff.

Game was glassy smooth until I started loving with video settings, I tried forcing it to ultra just to see if the image quality improved. It didn't (which means the game is just naturally kind of ugly), and it got a bit crashy.. crashed once loading a track, got a 5 second freeze in the middle of the race. My video card is relatively old though so I guess it's cool it ran at all.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Abu Dave posted:

That first rain one in the career. are you using dynamic or hand set settings?

Dynamic.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The AI in Yas Marina is hilarious. Stop randomly slamming on your brakes at the apex of the hairpin you cocksuckers.

Or I guess the Driveatar thing maybe means that is how random people drive that track? I never had an xbox so this is my first exposure to the series.

e: I have a 970 and the game has frozen while loading tracks twice but seems pretty ok in game so far. I have occasionally gotten the stuttering that I've seen some people complain about but it has generally been pretty rare. Haven't touched the settings so far.

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 6, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The drivatar thing has always been kind of stupid, it's sort of a statistical representation of how they take a type of corner. Like there's an ideal line that gets a 100% score, and at each segment they're off that line their grade drops. Then the AI version tries to replicate that.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Goetta posted:

The AI in Yas Marina is hilarious. Stop randomly slamming on your brakes at the apex of the hairpin you cocksuckers.

Or I guess the Driveatar thing maybe means that is how random people drive that track? I never had an xbox so this is my first exposure to the series.

Yeah, that's just how Forza AI works. It's always been conservative about braking in corners. Turn on the racing line and you'll get a pretty good glimpse in to its mind. You'll be amazed at how many little kinks it wants to brake at.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I played F12014 with a controller on my couch. I lasted about 4 hours.

- I just can't get into the driving with a controller because the lack of fidelity means cornering is this crapshoot totally dependent on timing rather than a thing you work with and can correct if you gently caress it up a bit.
- AI is just crap. It's so loving boring lapping with it, beating it or being beaten. There is no sense of accomplishment when you beat it and just a sense of frustration when it beats you.
- Car setup is some serious bullshit. Just look online with lots of people putting roll bars to 1 for front and back because, lol, this isn't in any way a simulator.

It's crappy poo poo gently caress and I don't recommend it at all. It's got the new tracks and spending 10 mins lapping before watching a round of the real F1 to learn the track is sorta ok, but for anything else it's a joke.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Forza isn't too bad so far, but I have a 770 and I'm getting a lot of stuttering. It seems to happen mostly as I'm about to brake which is super fun. I tried messing with some options, but it's nothing so far alleviates the issue. Once some performance tweaks and especially wheel support come out it'll be a lot better.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Automobilista beta has added Porsche's if you have a beta account. Sounds pretty good but I think the interior could use some work.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I like it, there was a bit of Reiza can do no wrong bullshit on the forums when it was first released because it looked, sounded and drove like poo poo. They've made some changes to car and tracks but there are still some weird bumps on some tracks where it can catch air. They've said they're not anywhere close to done with it yet though so hopefully that stuff gets sorted out.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I'm having a great time trying to do better with no driving aids in Forza Apex. I'm kinda new to racing sims, so I have a question for y'all: when braking before a tight turn, if I ever hear the tires squeal, does that mean I didn't brake optimally? That is, should I always aim to apply the brake gently enough to not get any tire squeal?

I tried to experiment on a straight-away to see how to minimize my stopping distance, and it seemed like in some cases having just a little squeal at the end of the braking seemed to do best. Although I also imagine that will wear the tires. It probably also depends on the car and tires I'm using? Man this game is fun as poo poo

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You want to keep the tires rotating. If they lock up, you're losing grip and not stopping as quickly as you could be.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

You want to keep the tires rotating. If they lock up, you're losing grip and not stopping as quickly as you could be.

Thanks, that makes sense. So any time I'm hearing noise from the tires it means I'm losing grip and losing stopping potential.

I was doing some Googling around and it also seems like you're supposed to downshift as you brake, to kind of use engine braking to help you stop? Does that sound right? I don't drive stick IRL, but aren't you also supposed to also hit the throttle a little when you downshift? Is that where the heel-toe thing comes in?

I got so many questions, this is all so interesting.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It depends on the car, but I don't think Forza simulates different gearbox types so you probably don't need to.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

giogadi posted:

Thanks, that makes sense. So any time I'm hearing noise from the tires it means I'm losing grip and losing stopping potential.

I was doing some Googling around and it also seems like you're supposed to downshift as you brake, to kind of use engine braking to help you stop? Does that sound right? I don't drive stick IRL, but aren't you also supposed to also hit the throttle a little when you downshift? Is that where the heel-toe thing comes in?

Well tire squeal is going to happen. You'll have to feel when the car is out of grip. I think an important technique to get down is left foot braking -- braking and being on the throttle at the same time.

The way to understand why that is important is about weight distribution. A happy car is a balanced car and one that will respond well to input. Getting on the brakes shifts weight forward -- too much and you skid. Too little and the front tires have no grip. Accelerating shifts weight to the rear. This is what people get at when they say to drive smoothly.

And yea you'll wanna down shift while braking to be in the proper gear for the turn/turn exit.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Most racing games have multiple tire sounds: squeal from lateral stress, lateral slides, longitudinal stress, and longitudinal slides. If you can learn which is which, if greatly helps. You want the tires to be stressed - that means they are giving you maximum performance - but you want to avoid sliding.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

If your tyres are quiet in forza you're not going fast.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Norns posted:

If your tyres are quiet in forza you're not going fast.

Oh you are thinking about turning this lap?
Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellll

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In general, if your car isn't suddenly moving in a straight line while braking, you still have grip.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Brakes are for balance, not stopping. That was the single hardest thing for me to learn in sim racing.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
How is AC in VR at the moment?
I haven't tried since I got the 1.3 SDK

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

giogadi posted:

I'm having a great time trying to do better with no driving aids in Forza Apex. I'm kinda new to racing sims, so I have a question for y'all: when braking before a tight turn, if I ever hear the tires squeal, does that mean I didn't brake optimally? That is, should I always aim to apply the brake gently enough to not get any tire squeal?

I tried to experiment on a straight-away to see how to minimize my stopping distance, and it seemed like in some cases having just a little squeal at the end of the braking seemed to do best. Although I also imagine that will wear the tires. It probably also depends on the car and tires I'm using? Man this game is fun as poo poo

giogadi posted:

If you're hearing squeal from braking but it isn't affecting your ability to make the corner, then you're probably fine - think of the squeal as an early warning sign that you're approaching the limit of what your tyre can do. Over extended periods, repeatedly taking the tyre up to the edge of performance like that will likely cause overheating and wear and that limit will get shorter (maybe - I don't know if Forza really models this) but occasional squeaking shouldn't hurt much.

If squeal is accompanied by lock-up then yes, you're overdoing it and you will be losing time as the tyres lose grip and slide across the surface of the tarmac. Either the front tyres slip while the rears retain braking grip and you lose your turning ability which sends you straight on whilst you're trying to corner (variously referred to as 'understeer', 'push', or 'tight'). Alternatively the rear tyres slide whilst the front is still trying to brake ('oversteer', or 'loose') and your momentum causes the rear of the car to try to overtake the front. This is why brake balance matters in setup changes - as you change the distribution of relative braking forces between the front and rear of your car to suit the circuit so that all tyres lose grip at around the same point and then adjust your driving inputs to make sure you don't reach that point.

What you described is engine braking, yes. As you are downshifting, the driven axle is spinning faster than the revolution of the gears, so as you declutch and the gears regain their connection to the axle the different rates of spin come into conflict and split the difference - there's a brief moment where the engine revs and gearing is retarding the rate at which the axle is spinning (so you get a 'bonus' braking effect) and the spin of the axle is dragging on the engine's revolution and increasing the revs. It can cause engine damage if you do it too hard too often but is part of racing technique.

Blipping the throttle is all part of this too, by giving a little gas as you downshift you reduce the differing relative rates of spin on the engine and axle and so you smooth out the gearshift transition - without it the engine can lurch and your car can lose momentum whilst shifting, or on some cars the gearbox will outright refuse to change gear at all unless you blip. Blipping also is a method of affecting your braking, because giving some gas to spin the driven axle reduces the likelihood of that wheel locking up and so effectively adjusts your brake balance. And yes, that's why heel-and-toe is a thing because blipping whilst downshifting on a car with a clutch means you need to operate three pedals with only two feet, so you brake with the toes of your right foot, twist your right ankle so that your heel covers the accelerator, and then operate the clutch with your left foot whilst briefly tapping the accelerator with your right heel.

It all sounds horrendously complicated but like everything else, it all slips into place once you don't have to consciously process it all (and no, normal road driving with a manual shift car doesn't involve any of this racing technique silliness).

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 8, 2016

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Basically play a lot of Forza or other sims and techniques will become muscle memory.

I've been playing racing games for 20 years and still am learning or refining my ~*~skills~*~

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Norns posted:

Brakes are for balance, not stopping. That was the single hardest thing for me to learn in sim racing.

The hardest thing to learn in sim racing (or any kind of car racing I guess) is how every control input affects steering. The steering wheel is just for putting the car on the right path. You turn into the corner, set your steering lock and leave the wheel there. You then use the brakes and the gas to adjust your corner entry. What each pedal does depends on how the car is set up and how upsetting the weight balance affects it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Let's not even broach tuning because that's a never ending discussion. Gotta tune for your driving style.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Helicon One posted:

(and no, normal road driving with a manual shift car doesn't involve any of this racing technique silliness).

Look at this scrub who doesn't heel-toe IRL

It's easier in a game, because you aren't being thrown inside around a big steel death machine. Super fun to do in a real car though, but it's expensive if you gently caress it up.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Wouldn't double clutching actually be better for road cars?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Norns posted:

Wouldn't double clutching actually be better for road cars?

Depends, in part, on if it has synchros. A proper racing downshift in most H box non-synchro racecars (done entirely under braking using the toe) consists of something along the lines of: clutch in, shift to neutral, clutch out, blip with heel to bring the input gear up to speed to match the shorter ratio of the output gear, clutch in, downshift, clutch out.

With most sims, you can just jam it into gear and it magically lines up the cogs as long as you single clutch while you're doing it. Real cars are less forgiving.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

CaseFace McGee posted:

Depends, in part, on if it has synchros. A proper racing downshift in most H box non-synchro racecars (done entirely under braking using the toe) consists of something along the lines of: clutch in, shift to neutral, clutch out, blip with heel to bring the input gear up to speed to match the shorter ratio of the output gear, clutch in, downshift, clutch out.

With most sims, you can just jam it into gear and it magically lines up the cogs as long as you single clutch while you're doing it. Real cars are less forgiving.

Thanks for taking the time to explain!

I need a real car, it's getting to the point where I know how all this poo poo works on paper. But I want to wrench on one myself and maybe see if hundreds of hours behind a sim translate to anything.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Playing dirt to daytona.. figured yall should know.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Abu Dave posted:

yeah forza horizon is lots of fun they shouldve ported that first

My guess is because a cut down Forza Horizon would feel it. Whereas you can put out a cut down Forza 6 and have a very nice little experience that still feels complete in a way that the Horizon 2 demo on Xbone for instance does not.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It may be a sign of the times when I didn't realize this was the real world until the third time it looped.

http://i.imgur.com/Iqefz83.gifv

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e; i'm dumb :suicide:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

A mention because I forgot this was coming out as well, the AC Japanese car pack is coming out tomorrow. Roughly 99% of the promotional shots out at the moment are of the MX-5 Cup car, which I think is the 2016 version rather than the 2015 they keep saying. It's weird that there seems to have been no promotion for this pack whatsoever, I don't even think they've released a full car list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hey so is gsync a god send for racing sims or what? I'm looking into upgrading from a no frills 1080p panel running on a gtx 970