Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Another random picture dump. I've been busy dealing with non-car related problems.

Here are some better pictures of the car/what used to be my neighbors fence. Driver and passenger were ok from what we were told.

Rob gave me a OEM Mazda seal case. Apparently they were clearing them out.

I picked up a set of 89+ Turbo II wheels from a drift kid. They need new tires, but for the price I couldn't turn them down.

Back to the Black 93 Auto. I got it running, only to find a plethora of fluids leaking from the exhaust and oil cooler lines. The MMO I dumped in it gave the exhaust a nice carbon-cleaning bath, which seems to have mostly burned off. The oil cooler lines fitting was loose for some reason. Easy fix regardless, though I did check all the other lines while I was at it. I'm not sure if I will bother fixing the cracked muffler. It's a PITA to weld dirty, paper thin stainless.

Going to have to fix this... It's going to be a PITA to weld due to the location.

I found a $150 OBX wastegate to replace the two crappy wastegates the owner provided.

Random Rotor slice I found on the shelves @ Pineapple. I did find the other 3/4 and it's pictured later on.

Next to it was this lovely destroyed pressure plate... it apparently let go around 11k in Rob's P-Ported truck...

S4 TII motor ready to head home.

At some point I remembered to drain my air compressor. Yum.

I'm out of engine stands at the shop, so the hoist had to do. I installed the clutch, oil pan, motor mounts, and water pump + housing. Thankfully I had a spare and could toss the old one out. Bleh.

*Fancy lighting*

While I waited for paint to dry, I grabbed this cabinet from our storage shed and started to clean it up. The goal is to mount it above the tool boxes.

Most the spray paint came off with just a bit of lacquer. I still need to find a matching handle to replace the missing one. Next up, I need to clean the interior.

Waiting for more paint to dry... So I grabbed the buffer. Not bad for old dried out compound. I think 90% of this paint can be saved, the other 10% has peeling or scratches down to the primer/metal.

I ended up with a torn gasket for the water pump on the S4 TII motor, so I went back to working on the MB 94's motor. I'm spending way to much time cleaning everything before reassembly.

Next up is heat shielding, welding up the wastegate dump tube, and some wiring.

I found another set of 99+ 17" brakes for a decent price on eBay. It included spindles, rotors, and calipers for $350. The packaging was... terrible. A thin piece of cardboard separated the hubs, which eventually lead to 3/5 lub nuts being bashed out in transport. Thankfully there was no real damage.

I got my pressure washer back from a friend and decided to clean the FC's engine bay. Much better.

More paint... I'm really liking having a mead blasting cabinet and small toaster oven. It's great for doing small parts.

Turbo! I pulled my spare S4 Turbo out from storage and started prepping it for install. (See the old turbo below for why.) First up was taking care of the wastegate. It's incredibly small on the stock car and can barely handle a downpipe or intake without spiking. The stock ECU only runs 5.5PSI on the S4 cars, so porting the wastegate can help prolong the life of the turbo

Here's the turbo that was on the car for reference. It's dead Jim.

Both of the gaskets were blown out.

The painting never ends!

Ever since my Wilton vise debacle, I decided to keep an eye on CL for another vise. This one popped up and I paid too much for it, but I finally have a bench vise in the shop that WORKS!

After a good cleaning, I soaked the brake rotors in Evaporust to clean off the surface rust. Much better. These are OEM rotors, good to 30MM per the stamping on the back. When I tried to measure them, I kept hitting the wear ridge on the outside. (No, I don't have fancy brake rotor thickness calipers or a Mic this big.) Solution! Our recently repaired lathe.

Eh- close enough for stock rotors. I'll order some new ones from Japan in a few months. Until then, these will work fine on my White 94.

One downside to Evaporust is the flash rusting- this was maybe 3 hours after washed them off? I'm not going to bother coating them with anything. Plus who would put oil or wax based protectants on brake rotors...

Here's my other stupid eBay purchase of the month. 1999 factory gauge cluster that was mislisted for pennies. It features a 6-oclock tach and boost gauge, replacing the useless oil pressure gauge.

I ran a quick errand and picked up a fancy cast aluminum oil neck for the 94 MB.

While cleaning up the turbo, I inspected the manifold and found some common cracks. Out of the three manifolds I had, I chose this one to repair due to the overall condition. The crack did not extend into the manifold and hopefully this repair will hold. I drilled the ends of the cracks, ground them mostly out, and welded it up with Aluminum bronze. Man, was this cast nasty. It had a TON of carbon in it and was impossible to get the filler to "flow" nicely over. The toaster oven with temp controller came in handy to slowly heat/cool the cast.

Might as well... paint it.

Unused water passage blocked off.

Getting closer.

Other 3/4 of the rotor from above.

With the turbo installed, it's ready to install.

Since it was ~85F out, I decided to clean the 94 MB's engine bay in prep for installing its new engine.

While test fitting a downpipe I have, I found the cat was full of nuts and seeds. Thanks small rodents. Glad I removed it and didn't burn up the cat the first time it started.

The stock exhaust is being replaced with a Racing Beat dual tip I have laying around.

I decided to change the unknown condition diff and trans fluids. It looked ok, but why risk it over $30 in gear oil.

While I waited for fluids to drain, I quickly wire wheeled the injectors and cleaned them with carb cleaner. I'll probably drop them by the injector cleaners tomorrow just incase.

At this point I stopped due to a missing oil-feed crossover tube that for the life of me, I can not find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I love your pic dumps. Keep this format, please. :allears:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Cut up rotors are great tools at times actually; I have a corner I clamp in the mill and run a grinding stone in the corner seal pocket for clearancing side seals, and another one where I drilled into the side seal slot, put a scribe in and ran around on a junk side housing to see where the limits are.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

the spyder posted:

Was that Kyle's car?

Yes...yes it was. And I'm so loving jealous.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm looking for a good T4 turbo blanket if anyone has a recommendation.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

mekilljoydammit posted:

Cut up rotors are great tools at times actually; I have a corner I clamp in the mill and run a grinding stone in the corner seal pocket for clearancing side seals, and another one where I drilled into the side seal slot, put a scribe in and ran around on a junk side housing to see where the limits are.

I tried to use one once as a ghetto cupholder to hold a shock still while I tried to put the strut top on it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I just bought something with 4 wheels and scattered with VW + Mazda parts.

I should change the title of the thread to: Spyder's home for abused rotaries: More bad decisions.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

When I hear VW and Mazda in the same sentence, I think something mid- or rear-engine with a transaxle...

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

:getin:

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Lol at the two different seats.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Commodore_64 posted:

Lol at the two different seats.

Front-facing for the driver, rear-facing for the mechanic.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

MiniFoo posted:

When I hear VW and Mazda in the same sentence, I think something mid- or rear-engine with a transaxle...

nailed it

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Those tires are really something

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Astonishing Wang posted:

Those tires are really something

Interco TSL Thornbirds. For when you prefer your hyper expensive off-road tyre to be more show than go...

http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=16&g=1

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Was gonna say, thornbirds are nicknamed thornturds for a reason. If you want to stay with Interco go with the bogger (if you want to be knocked out by clods of mud to the back of the head) or TSL, TSL/SX, etc.

Otherwise I'd say stick the smallest Goodyear MTR/Kevlar you can buy on there.

Also, I am very very jealous of your deathkart.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Busy week/weekend.

The death cart was found on a local Facebook page. I had hit a roadblock with the Red 94, it's motor was essentially trash due to the internal salt water damage. Rotors, housings, and irons were all pitted/rusted/garbage. Many of the accessories and harness were also damaged/needing replacement. This left me with two options: Find another motor or piece together a "floor sweep" special from Rob's collection of used parts. As soon as I saw this, I knew I had to buy it. I contacted the seller and setup a time to check it out. When I got there I was informed it had "sat outside for a while, uncovered". I'm fairly certain the seller noticed my immediate change in attitude. As I looked it over, I couldn't help but notice the uncovered intake ports on the turbos, emissions, and air recirc systems. I removed a loose spark plug from the rear rotor and was greeted with a rusted tip. The seller at this point informed me that his buddy who he bought it from "had it running". There were no oil lines, no cooling system, no fuel pump, control system, wiring/ect. At this point I should have walked away. Instead I grabbed the breaker bar and 19MM I brought with me and tried to ease the motor over. It would not budge. After a few slow rocking motions back and forth, the rust finally let the pulleys free and the motor spun easily. Too easily. Great. Another motor with no compression. The seller watched the entire time and I explained the issues as simply as I could. The turbos were ruined by the water. The engine was most likely a boat anchor and most the the accessories had been ruined by the rain/sun. I made a stupid low offer and gathered my tools. After the seller discussed it with his buddy that had just shown up, they eventually agreed on it. I immediately regretted it.

After I got it home, I pressure washed it and drained the fluids. It was green from sitting outside, but amazingly both clean coolant and oil came out. The accessories actually cleaned up rather decently. There appeared to be lots of good usable parts, or at least that's what I kept telling myself. It looked like a low miles motor that was taken care of. At this point, I couldn't resist and tore the motor down to it's keg. As I peeled the layers away, I found the nastiest rats nest, buried under the rats nest. To my absolute amazement the wiring harness was in nearly perfect shape. Something I badly needed for the Red 94. I found some common issues, cracked exhaust manifolds on the turbos and a burnt out primary coil pack. Once I got down to the block, I started feeding the engine Seafoam to see if the compression would bump up. Again, to my amazement, it did. The front rotor regained the tiniest amount. I went ahead and removed the last turbo->block exhaust manifold and inspected each rotor through the exhaust ports. The seals were intact, covered in carbon. The rear rotor was surpassing clean, just the tiniest amount of surface rust where carbon had flaked off. The housings looked ok, no large chrome chunks missing. I was relieved.

Friday, I took the motor to Rob's and tore it down. We confirmed it was a early REW (92 production) and anywhere from 40-60k. There were no real surprises when tearing it down. One of it's last oil changes had to be with Pennzoil judging by the yellow tint baked onto the oil pan/pump. It easy came off in the parts washer. In the end, I am left with enough parts to build one good motor for the 94 and enough spare parts I should be able to get it back on the road after I get back from japan. Oh and as far as the death cart goes, my neighbor saw it and immediately bought it for $350. I forgot to mention it also had a brand new KEP adaptor kit, including the clutch/flywheel/pressureplate that I just listed forsale. All in all, I made $100 and got to keep the engine. Not bad. Oh and I kept the hater pipe to hang on the wall.

Next up: Why are assholes sneaking around our shop?

the spyder fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 11, 2016

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

That's a pretty good score - I've mostly had the other sort of surprise. Too bad the death kart is going away though, that would have been fun too.

As a weird question, what would you want for a pitted garbage FD rear iron and rotor?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Assholes on your property? Time for some automated defenses.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Someone send him the cursed honda valve cover to leave out in the yard.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm betting they want to steal your poo poo and are scoping you out.

Also, a great story and a good partout ($100 free AND a motor? Score!) but I would have loved to see you make that deathkart run and drive.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Hahahah holy poo poo a turbo rotary go-kart.

How did the builder survive long enough to sell it?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Hahahah holy poo poo a turbo rotary go-kart.

How did the builder survive long enough to sell it?

Estate sale

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Based on the condition I'm pretty sure the "had it running" part was done in the donor car the engine came from, or was straight up bullshit. I bet they never had the kart itself actually running and driving.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Based on the condition I'm pretty sure the "had it running" part was done in the donor car the engine came from, or was straight up bullshit. I bet they never had the kart itself actually running and driving.
Evidence:
  • Seller is alive

I wouldn't mind a few closeups of the suspension setup before you turn it back into exhaust tubing though.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Looks like Beetle swing arms.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

mekilljoydammit posted:

That's a pretty good score - I've mostly had the other sort of surprise. Too bad the death kart is going away though, that would have been fun too.

As a weird question, what would you want for a pitted garbage FD rear iron and rotor?

Let me check with Rob. He wanted to hang on to the entire junk engine thinking he could do *something* with it, but I have my doubts.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

kastein posted:

I'm betting they want to steal your poo poo and are scoping you out.

Also, a great story and a good partout ($100 free AND a motor? Score!) but I would have loved to see you make that deathkart run and drive.

If I had the time, I would have kept it and found a cheap 13B to toss on the back. Knowing my neighbor, I'll get it back in 3-6 months, or whenever his wife discovers it- whichever comes first :).

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

mekilljoydammit posted:

Looks like Beetle swing arms.

It looks like they literally welded the frame on to the front/rear Beetle bits. Nothing special except the trans mount which looked off the shelf.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Non- Deathkart related post. I leave in a few weeks for Japan and HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING!

I'm trying to get at least two cars done before I go. Here's my weekend/evening progress so far:

Check out this QUALITY wiring done by the previous shop. It's all being replaced.

I removed the unnecessary second fuel pump and old fuel filter.

I'm not sure I like how thin of wire this aftermarket harness uses. That's a Wiha 01? tip for scale.

Added the wiring for a fast reacting intake air temp sensor.

And replaced the secondary injector plugs (ID2000).

Time for a car work break.

Cat approved.

Beautiful day.

Next up: Recirculating the wastegate. The owner wanted the car a bit quieter.

This stainless was still under a lot of force. When I did my initial cut, it sprung back and pinched the blade.

Testing the fit...

Pretending I can weld.

I tossed on the empty trans to make sure the overall fitment was ok.

And here's why you put your welding jacket on. Oops.

First cut:

Our big bandsaw is buried in crap, so I rigged this up. If you're just getting started in fabrication, I absolutely recommend buying a portaband and Swag stand.

Looking good from 3ft away.

drat it. I didn't cut my tube long enough.

So I took a break and modded the other harness I have to support 4 secondary injectors.

Thankfully I bought a spare bend. This time it fits much better.

Receiver hole cut.

Wastegate side flange welded on.

Tack welding is a PITA with a foot pedal.

Welded up.

poo poo. So, what happened is I noticed the turbo-> downpipe flange was welded on with the tube sticking past the flange- no more then a 1/16th. This meant it was clamping against the tubing, not the flange 2/3rds of the way around. So I carefully sanded it off. Which meant I lost my home position from when I mocked and tacked everything up.

So I cut it, inserted a spacer, and re-welded it. Ugly, but it's only temp until the owner buys a new turbo it in ~3 months.

90% Ready to be dropped in the car.

Details after I get home. Just got interrupted by real life work.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 13, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

the spyder posted:

I leave in a few weeks for Japan and HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING!

Whatever you do, hit ALL the good ramen houses in the area you're staying in.

Jesus I miss good Japanese ramen.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I miss the tonkatsu :(

Those screw-down battery terminals are totally shithouse, you should crimp that cable into a lug that accepts a bolt-on all-brass marine battery terminal, or crimp into a marine terminal in the first place.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
You're a goddamn productivity artist.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I haven't even finished my last update and I don't care. Check this awesomeness out! Courtesy of the surplus auction at Commodore_64's work. 48" 12G Tennsmith Finger Brake. We're going to make so many boxes and box like objects now.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

I can't wait to start making boxes and brackets.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

the spyder posted:

I can't wait to start making boxes and brackets.

Every boy's dream has come true in your garage!

Think of all the badass switch panels you'll be able to make now. And shock mounts, and skid plates, mmmm....

Do you think it'll have a problem with stuff thicker than ~3/16", or will it bend it like beckham?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Astonishing Wang posted:

Every boy's dream has come true in your garage!

Think of all the badass switch panels you'll be able to make now. And shock mounts, and skid plates, mmmm....

Do you think it'll have a problem with stuff thicker than ~3/16", or will it bend it like beckham?

Sadly it's limited to 12G, which is thick for a 48" brake. For anything thicker, I have a die set for my 20T press.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Think of the chassis braces! The fuel line covers! The heat shields and air ducts! What a time to be alive. Also it only cost me 751 dollars. I may have beaten someone in the blind auction by that dollar.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I just bought another $160 worth of wiring/cables/AN fittings to finish the 94 MB (plus spares to finish two others). This is after ANOTHER order of $200 for heat shielding (exhaust wrap, tubing, ect). Building these cars correctly is expensive. Oh well. It will all get reimbursed. On a side note, I spent at least $60 in hardware and fittings @ our local True Value on the same car. The guys bill is going to have ~$300 in random fittings/hose/nuts/bolts- but it's done right, which I rarely see.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
True with any build worth its salt. I would much rather see $500 worth of proper fasteners, hardware, electrical components and whatever other ancillary bits hold parts on, than see $500 worth of parts held on with zip-ties, electrical tape, robertson screws and UTS cheese bolts scattered throughout. Working on mostly Japanese motorcycles has filled me with a type of anger most don't understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
More 94 MB car updates!

I started working on the final bits before dropping the engine in the car. The wiring is done, the MAC boost valve is wired/plumbed/mounted, and additional heat shielding installed. I had to re-add nipples for the PCV and fuel pressure regulator vacuum sources. No idea why they blocked them off. Fuel filter has been changed and I spent the ~5 minutes to put a nutsert+bracket in to hold the relocated heater hardline.

With all of that out of the way, the engine can FINALLY be installed.

Now, I've never seen how this piping was installed before, but I can already tell I have to re-do at least the drivers side charge piping. The new intake manifold moved the throttle body elbow forward, making the tube too long. I also have no idea how the passenger side charge pipe stayed in place... There's no retaining beads on the pipes. I guess he ran pretty low boost?

Random project interrupt:

Wahoo cameras! I'm liking them so far. Enough that I'm adding a few more.

My Sunday project was to re-window our media blasting cabinet. I had the idea of using Ikea Besta tempered glass shelves due to their relatively inexpensive cost and availability. I had tried using cheap poly carb from Home Depot and after a few uses, they became so frosted you barely could see through them. Even with a mesh screen protector, they only lasted 4-6 months. I used a left over piece of 3/4" plywood to make a frame to cover the existing hole and routed a rabbit to support the glass. Both sides are sealed with window rubber gasket tape. For $5 a shelf, even if I replace ~4 a year it's still cheaper then the mesh screen and poly carb I was using before. Next up: improving media suction/feed, rebuilding the mesh under support, and updating the vacuum system.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 17, 2016