Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
2.1 change log

- NPCs now fear death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Really dig the new options menu.

Also, it seems like the game runs a little faster now for me, could be wrong though.

It definitely looks better in ultra.

Btw...it really sucks that recoloring the UI via the old method now recolors the potraits too. Would really hope that Frontier makes a recolor option official..

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Space Skeleton posted:

The new class 3 and 4 weapons also look like they will significantly increase the DPS of ships capable of fitting them so that will also change things a lot.

If c4 beams are supposed to be able to put out enough DPS to kill things before they can get away from my Corvette, it's not working.

I had a Vulture consistently outrunning my Clipper with four pips to engines boosting constantly earlier. Even against ships faster than them it's like they can just rubberband towards or away from you at will.

e: and a FAS that I never managed to get within 5km of after I got him down to 22% hull, he just followed me around never coming closer than about 5.2km for the rest of the time I was in that HazRES

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
So they changed PvE combat to be more like the shittiest parts of Dark Souls PvP invasions. Great.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Someone made an Iggle that goes over 600m/s and there is some theorycraft that 700m/s might be attainable. Anything with a c3 thruster can be fit for superspeed and be like an interceptor.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Space Skeleton posted:

Someone made an Iggle that goes over 600m/s and there is some theorycraft that 700m/s might be attainable. Anything with a c3 thruster can be fit for superspeed and be like an interceptor.

I went looking for the fancy C3 thrusters earlier for my courier and couldn't find any. Are they uncommon-ish modules, do I have to get an upgrade from an Engineer, or what?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Risk vs Reward baby! :downs:

On that note, are the bounty payouts still about the same on these NPCs?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Section Z posted:

I was making good money on the NPCs I actually managed to keep in weapons range long enough to kill.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Section Z posted:

I've seen no difference. FdLs are between 100-200K, five digits for your Asps and such, etc.

The AI is in general much better at combat now and more fun to fight, except for when it does the "RUN AWAY" stuff that makes player PvP unfun. Hopefully they will drop that specific flee behavior so that the PvE game can remain fun.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

It is cool that destroyed enemies now drop crafting materials. You can scoop them manually, or use limpets. Using limpets requires two equipment slots, as you'll need the collector limpet module, and a cargo bay to hold the limpets themselves.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Can't wait to iggle into the spacestation at 600m/s and smash against the back wall and explode. Gotta go fast.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

https://giant.gfycat.com/SpecificAdorableCranefly.webm

look at the speed

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Canyon racing at those speeds looks fun as hell!

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Space Skeleton posted:

look at the speed

"SPEEDING" Ya got that right.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Shine posted:

It is cool that destroyed enemies now drop crafting materials. You can scoop them manually, or use limpets. Using limpets requires two equipment slots, as you'll need the collector limpet module, and a cargo bay to hold the limpets themselves.

This change alone might prove to be a huge shake up for me as I will need to redo my FDL build or drop it entirely as well as making haz reses more risky since I won't be able to pick and choose my fights at will since I'll actually have a cargo hold when I get scanned.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So active range INF means nothing to you?

That's how close and what angle you need to be at to detail scan the object.
Wouldn't that be the Detailed Surface Scanner, not the Advanced Discovery Scanner?

Edit: I don't see any difference in either type of scanning. :shrug:

Dante80 posted:

It definitely looks better in ultra.

Is this with or without GEMFX?

edit:
Do I really have to click right to add one credit to the tip jar five thousand times?

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 6, 2016

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Wouldn't that be the Detailed Surface Scanner, not the Advanced Discovery Scanner?

The scanning feature is built into the discovery scanner, the DSS just makes the scan better. (the DSS by itself can't actually scan anything)

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Spare a dime, mister?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Edit: I don't see any difference in either type of scanning. :shrug:

edit:
Do I really have to click right to add one credit to the tip jar five thousand times?

Click left once to go to 5000 :D

They should have a button to just pay whatever the amount happens to be.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Spare a dime, mister?

I bet you wish you signed up for Patreus now, don't you? :rolleye:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

FronzelNeekburm posted:

With.

Here is a pic for a planetary surface. Much better now imo.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Shine posted:

Click left once to go to 5000 :D
When it's at 1, there's no left button.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

FronzelNeekburm posted:

When it's at 1, there's no left button.

It's how I did it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

YellerBill posted:

I went looking for the fancy C3 thrusters earlier for my courier and couldn't find any. Are they uncommon-ish modules, do I have to get an upgrade from an Engineer, or what?

They're separate modules. They come in 2A and 3A variations, and they're going to cost more than entire ships you can fit them on apparently :v:

I found them at an engineer's outfitting station (the one that's specialized in FSD and shields, system starts with K), but I'm pretty sure that's a coincidence.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Those new drives look fantastic. Just the sort of variety that's needed. They mentioned in one of the livestreams they have the speeds set pretty high right now and might take them down a bit for Live, but I hope they don't!

Dante80 posted:

With [GEMFX].

Here is a pic for a planetary surface. Much better now imo.

This looks really nice, and the planet one you posted above has far more realistic atmospheric effects - presume that's all GEMFX though?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

As of right now, non-FdL or FAS combat ships in PvE are not worth the trouble. You get shields down and NPC's boost out of range. If friendly NPC's are in the area and they blow it up while you're out of range, no bounty. They come back when their shields are up but if their hull goes below a certain percentage they boost away and jump out.

You can mount missiles and try to target engines as they boost away and that kind of works sometimes but not every ship can mount missiles -- I have them in the c1 slot on my corvette and that's 12 shots. Basically you need one of those burst gimmick PvP builds to bounty hunt now.

If this goes live as is, RIP combat builds for the Vulture, Anaconda, Python, Corvette, etc.

I'm guessing that this percentage (as well as the run-away trigger) will vary with the ship type, since otherwise, some NPCs will hardly ever see any combat? There's a whole segment of ships where shields are mostly decorative and there are roughly Graham's number of armour HP to chew through instead.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

El Grillo posted:

Those new drives look fantastic. Just the sort of variety that's needed. They mentioned in one of the livestreams they have the speeds set pretty high right now and might take them down a bit for Live, but I hope they don't!

This looks really nice, and the planet one you posted above has far more realistic atmospheric effects - presume that's all GEMFX though?

The earth planet had GEMFX. The terrain one (and most others posted)..no. Also, even with the GEMFX on the planet picture, you can see the difference between 1.5 and 1.6. There has been a lot of graphical updates, and the bizarre thing is that the game is running smoother too. For now..

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Dante80 posted:

The earth planet had GEMFX. The terrain one (and most others posted)..no. Also, even with the GEMFX on the planet picture, you can see the difference between 1.5 and 1.6. There has been a lot of graphical updates, and the bizarre thing is that the game is running smoother too. For now..
Yeah I'm certain (and they've mentioned) they had to do quite a lot of optimisation to get Horizons running on the Xbox.
Cool, going to have a look for some comparisons without the effects - don't think I'll be able to run that stuff in VR until I get a new Pascal gpu...

e: This poo poo is looking pretty drat good, and people are reporting 10fps improvements:

Thread full of screenshots.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 6, 2016

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Spare a dime, mister?

what the hell happened here? :stare:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Display bug

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Space Skeleton posted:

Nah, just use missiles which now totally screw over whoever they hit by slamming multiple modules with a bunch of damage. The engineer mods are just more advanced stuff than that.

Pack Hound build incoming.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 368 days!
Robigo missions now worth up to 40m apiece

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I do hope that the performance on surfaces improves. I get some major frame drops when I even have ground set to 'low'.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TRON JEREMY posted:

Robigo missions now worth up to 40m apiece

Because that was certainly needed. :stare:

star trek extra credit
Jun 3, 2007
I just bought this game on Xbox and I'm really enjoying it. My question is this: this is basically Star Citizen but actually playable, correct?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

El Grillo posted:

w Pascal gpu...

e: This poo poo is looking pretty drat good, and people are reporting 10fps improvements:

I have an R9 270x and went from 25-35 fps on the surface to a constant 60 like the rest of the game. Hell of a jump in performance.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

IAmTheRad posted:

I do hope that the performance on surfaces improves. I get some major frame drops when I even have ground set to 'low'.

I had some weird and very nasty stutter issues even with a 980Ti (though I do play on ultra) and they seem mostly gone now.

e::wtc:

Yesterday I had issues with the upgrade button being gray when beta 2 released, so I had to reinstall it, now it's just gone from the list of clients :frontear:

There's missions beta, and all that other junk, but no engineers beta.

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 6, 2016

timn
Mar 16, 2010

VanFullOfMidgets posted:

I just bought this game on Xbox and I'm really enjoying it. My question is this: this is basically Star Citizen but actually playable, correct?

More like SC scaled down drastically to an achievable scope. Incremental improvements and expansions every few months are slowly building the game up into a long-term vision, but it's all baby steps.

Sostratos
Jun 28, 2004

Shine posted:

So they changed PvE combat to be more like the shittiest parts of Dark Souls PvP invasions. Great.

Another fun thing they did was make system security and powerplay NPCs spawn in HAZRES sites, too. Powerplay NPCs often have no bounty and will attack you on sight if you're in an opposing faction, which generally means multiple ships jumping you at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Sostratos posted:

Another fun thing they did was make system security and powerplay NPCs spawn in HAZRES sites, too. Powerplay NPCs often have no bounty and will attack you on sight if you're in an opposing faction, which generally means multiple ships jumping you at once.

Also security Vipers will finish off the ship that is fleeing from you and you get no bounty credit! :woop:

Seriously this beta patch killed bounty hunting in RES's; if that is something you enjoy be concerned.

• Locked thread