Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Everything about WCW Jericho was tailor made to make you just so mad he's on your screen, and he sold it perfectly, it was gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
I can't remember where I read or heard that Triple H gave Vince his T-rex skull? This story ring a bell for you guys?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Web Jew.0 posted:

I can't remember where I read or heard that Triple H gave Vince his T-rex skull? This story ring a bell for you guys?

It's in a Vince interview, the same one where he said he hates the gently caress out of Rich people and the only thing he spends his money on is his motorcycle.
The rich people hate seems weird until you realize to this day his rich neighbours look down on him. Pretty much all of Vince's psychosi and quest for mainstream approval is the poo poo his neighbours put him through for being a 'peasant'

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I mean he's right

rich people loving suck

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Web Jew.0 posted:

Vince has a T-Rex skull hanging in his office as he views himself as a T-Rex, believing them to be Apex Predators and thus he shares a kinship with them.

Although several palaeontologists believe that T-Rex's were actually just large scavengers and that fits Vince a lot better.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ostentatious posted:

I mean he's right

rich people loving suck

Rich people don't really give a gently caress about new/old money distinctions for the most part anymore Vince is just a creepy weirdo who is incapable of actually making friends or relating to other people

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Aesop Poprock posted:

Rich people don't really give a gently caress about new/old money distinctions for the most part anymore Vince is just a creepy weirdo who is incapable of actually making friends or relating to other people

old people @ the age of vince sure as heck still make old/new money distinctions

source: i worked for a bunch of rich old people

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
in that part of the country it absolutely is a thing, lol

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
"rich" people dont care about new or old money because "rich" people have like .... a million dollars

*rich* people will judge anyone else til the end of time

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Onmi posted:

It's in a Vince interview, the same one where he said he hates the gently caress out of Rich people and the only thing he spends his money on is his motorcycle.
The rich people hate seems weird until you realize to this day his rich neighbours look down on him. Pretty much all of Vince's psychosi and quest for mainstream approval is the poo poo his neighbours put him through for being a 'peasant'
Being raised in poverty with a series of abusive stepfathers and not meeting his father until he was almost a teenager probably had more to do with that than rich snobs in Connecticut.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

It may have something to do with his upbringing, I heard he spent lots of time stuffing leaves in bags before he got rich.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
Are people trying to argue that class distinctions aren't a thing any more because uh

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I'm going to speculate that the problem isn't "Vince McMahon is new money" and it's more "Vince McMahon made his money from a weird carny thing that we all look down on and judge him for which is why he also seems to hate his own creation"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I'm going to speculate that the problem isn't "Vince McMahon is new money" and it's more "Vince McMahon made his money from a weird carny thing that we all look down on and judge him for which is why he also seems to hate his own creation"

Vince will end up dead, floating in his swimming pool

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

What's so carny about rasslin' entertainment?

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

I too would be embarrassed as gently caress if I made my fortune in a business that produces people like Jim Cornette

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

HerraS posted:

I too would be embarrassed as gently caress if I made my fortune in a business that produces people like Jim Cornette

Sex produced Jim Cornette and I participate in that all the time FYI

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Making money doing things old money look down on is basically new money.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
All I'm saying is that if a lot of Vince McMahon, Jr.'s behaviour can be explained as an inferiority complex, he probably developed it long before he moved into a mansion in Greenwich.

I also know it's odd to armchair psychoanalyze a businessman this way, but as Vince is practically synonymous with the wrestling business in North America, it's natural that wrestling fans would be fascinated with his quirks.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Making money doing things old money look down on is basically new money.

Bit of a tautology there. Making money is one of the things Old Money looks down on.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Gonzo McFee posted:

Vince has a T-Rex skull hanging in his office as he views himself as a T-Rex, believing them to be Apex Predators and thus he shares a kinship with them.

Although several palaeontologists believe that T-Rex's were actually just large scavengers and that fits Vince a lot better.

If by several, you mean some of the random dumb bullshit Jack Horner has said to get attention sure. Otherwise no, no one thinks T Rex was primarily a scavenger

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

What is the funnier fake name, Shave Seltzer, or Butt "Shitman" Fart?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Oh, it has to go the Excrement of Excretion, Butt "the Shitman" Fart.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Monkeycheese posted:

If by several, you mean some of the random dumb bullshit Jack Horner has said to get attention sure. Otherwise no, no one thinks T Rex was primarily a scavenger

Don't ruin my sick Vince burns with facts.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Beer_Suitcase posted:

It may have something to do with his upbringing, I heard he spent lots of time stuffing leaves in bags before he got rich.

lol.

I also like how public opinion of that has changed over time from "Vince said this creepy thing in an interview" to "this definitely happened"

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HerraS posted:

I think VInce is probably a worse person than Jim Cornette by far. I'd say a better way to view it is "It's a business where a person like Jim Cornette can come off looking comparably neutral"

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I think, and I could be forgetting too, but I think he was just loving around with his hair and it fit his whole 'loving nutbar' thing.

e: I actually did a search for 'Chris Jericho WCW Hair" and while I got no answers I did get this gold nugget promo I had to share since I totally forgot about loving Ralphus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssrjPCDAWa4

Watching Jericho's entrance makes me think about all the WCW wrestlers that had just popular grunge songs in a different key or with chords that went in different directions. Jerico'scleary takes a LOT of influence from Evenflow by Pearl Jam, Raven's sounds an awful lot like Come As You Are by Nirvana, DDPs was a ripoff of Smells like Teen Spirit. Am I missing some others?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Watching Jericho's entrance makes me think about all the WCW wrestlers that had just popular grunge songs in a different key or with chords that went in different directions. Jerico'scleary takes a LOT of influence from Evenflow by Pearl Jam, Raven's sounds an awful lot like Come As You Are by Nirvana, DDPs was a ripoff of Smells like Teen Spirit. Am I missing some others?

Jeff Jarrett - "Cowboy" by Kid Rock

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

Jeff Jarrett - "Cowboy" by Kid Rock

The greatest grunge song.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Not grunge, but one of Rick Steiner's themes was a ripoff of Welcome to the Jungle.

Also WCW ripped off a bunch of the licensed songs they were using for video games and other media - check out the nWo Japan CD (it's on iTunes) for a bad ripoff of the nWo theme and a weird Hogan theme with a bad interpolation of the opening riff to Voodoo Child.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Nice.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Considering how much CM Punk gets chanted every time WWE is in Chicago, are there any other notable examples of wrestlers getting chants after their career is over and they are not present?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Considering how much CM Punk gets chanted every time WWE is in Chicago, are there any other notable examples of wrestlers getting chants after their career is over and they are not present?

When WCW fired Ric Flair like 2 weeks before Great American Bash 1991, fans spent the whole show chanting his name (which they had every right to, that show was dogshit)

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Lord Hypnostache posted:

People also like to chant Randy Savage when they're bored and a match is poo poo.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Benne posted:

When WCW fired Ric Flair like 2 weeks before Great American Bash 1991, fans spent the whole show chanting his name (which they had every right to, that show was dogshit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivLE2tABulU

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Tokelau All Star posted:

What is the funnier fake name, Hollywood "Scum" Hogan, or New World Odor?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Benne posted:

The spoilers thread got me wondering about Bob Backlund: How big of a draw was he as champion?

It feels like history kinda views him as the transitional bridge between Bruno and Hogan, but he still held the belt for a long-rear end time, even though he doesn't really have the traditional ~look~ that Vince (or even Vince Sr.) wanted. Did he really draw well enough to merit holding the title that long? Or was this like a Benoit/Eddie 2004 situation where they just put the belt on the small workhorse fan-favorite until their next The Guy was ready?
According to Meltzer, Bob Backlund was a top draw for the WWWF, broke records for being a top-10 draw on top for a long period of time, and is one of the top 5 draws of the 80s. (Behind Hogan, Flair, and Andre and ahead of Savage, Piper, and the Road Warriors, believe it or not.)

The historiography of Backlund is kinda weird for a couple reasons. First, Dave Meltzer was really down on him in the early 80s, feeling that he had gotten too stale on top (and the crew-cut-and-singlet gimmick was despised). He's since changed his mind about Backlund. Also, like plenty of other people who wrestled for the WWF in the 80s, he is best remembered today for a gimmick that was actually a relatively brief segment of his career. (It certainly doesn't hurt that he's continued to make occasional appearances as the clean-cut, bow-tie wearing Republican dad who's fightin' mad.)

Backlund wasn't a transitional champion. In fact, the Iron Sheik was chosen as a transitional champion because Backlund refused to drop the belt to Hogan. (I don't think it was due to ego or hard feelings, but because he didn't want to turn heel.)

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
What's the time period in the WWF/E that has had the most active Tag Teams? It certainly feels like right now is absolutely a really tag team focused period but I feel like by the numbers it probably looses out to late 80's WWF.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Halloween Jack posted:

(I don't think it was due to ego or hard feelings, but because he didn't want to .)

Really? I thought I had read that Backlund didn't like Hulk's whole rockstar cartoon thing, but was okay dropping the belt to Shiekie as he had an extensive "real sports" pedigree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

El Estrago Bonito posted:

What's the time period in the WWF/E that has had the most active Tag Teams? It certainly feels like right now is absolutely a really tag team focused period but I feel like by the numbers it probably looses out to late 80's WWF.

Late 80's is probably it, with the Attitude Era being a little behind that. I was watching Raw on the Network from 2000 a couple weeks back, there was a tag team battle royale with like 10 teams on it, and only like one of the teams was a thrown together one, plus there was a tag title match later on the show.